Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

redjenova posted:

Has anyone had any experience with Aquent?

I haven't used them but I know the Fortune 100 my wife works for uses them heavily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tiresias MKII posted:

So is there like a super secret password for stairmasters group? I feel like I need a lot of work on my profile. :sigh:

You can just join it? :confused:

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

redjenova posted:

Has anyone had any experience with Aquent?

As a freelancer I have been using them from when they were called MacTemps. Usually between full-time positions I have found myself for daily/weekly assignments. They are decent, although the past few years their pay rates have remained stagnant, unless you have experience in a hot field.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Saveron_01 posted:

They are decent, although the past few years their pay rates have remained stagnant, unless you have experience in a hot field.

I think that with the state of things globally this is probably a pretty common scenario.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I moved from the United States to Germany. Does anyone have any tips for finding country-specific groups I can join?

I am actively looking for jobs. Should I connect with anyone I see as a contact for a job I like? Or is that only for recruiters?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And here I thought Aquent was a scam, since I applied for a bunch of jobs there and uploaded my résumé since it said WE WILL TOTALLY GET YOU A JOB YOU SEATTLEITE YOU ;) and that was January. Of course, given that I have also used four other temp agencies since February and still have had zero offers, I do not know why I would be any more suspicious of Aquent than any other service.

Regardless, I still enjoy LinkedIn from a sort of detached artistic perspective. That is the perspective I have to have since as a non-business/computer-science person I clearly will never get a job from it.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I'm employed, job hunting for a position in Chicago, but currently on the east coast. Many of the "Jobs you may be interested in..." ads are actually pretty interesting, but frustrating since I only want to look at jobs in Chicago. Is there any way to change the setting on this? I realize I could just change my current location to Chicago, but I don't want all of my colleagues to see that.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Quarex posted:

And here I thought Aquent was a scam, since I applied for a bunch of jobs there and uploaded my résumé since it said WE WILL TOTALLY GET YOU A JOB YOU SEATTLEITE YOU ;) and that was January. Of course, given that I have also used four other temp agencies since February and still have had zero offers, I do not know why I would be any more suspicious of Aquent than any other service.

Regardless, I still enjoy LinkedIn from a sort of detached artistic perspective. That is the perspective I have to have since as a non-business/computer-science person I clearly will never get a job from it.

I don't mean to belittle the effort you've put into that at all, believe me, but it's an unfortunate fact that the less-technical a position that you're looking for, the more aggressive you have to be about pursuing a position. Technically-oriented professions or specialized business-oriented skillsets can often garner interest based on a resume and qualifications alone, but more positioning yourself as a more creative professional (of whatever stripe) will more often require proactively approaching and pursuing specific people in order to get your foot in the door. In purely objective terms, I would definitely characterize uploading your resume to temp agencies and job search sites as the basic, bare minimum. Networking and communicating with the people you can identify as the key stakeholders for the position you'd like to have is key to landing a spot in one of them.

In other words, it's my basic mantra--visibility, visibility, visibility. If you aren't finding success with what you're doing, it's because you aren't finding and using enough different ways of shoving your name and resume in front of the right eyes.

Mr. Pool posted:

I'm employed, job hunting for a position in Chicago, but currently on the east coast. Many of the "Jobs you may be interested in..." ads are actually pretty interesting, but frustrating since I only want to look at jobs in Chicago. Is there any way to change the setting on this? I realize I could just change my current location to Chicago, but I don't want all of my colleagues to see that.

Search "Jobs" for the position you want, then use the filter to narrow it down to the Chicago/Chicago metro area(s) as desired.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 15, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if this fits the thread but I don't know where else to ask it. I'm leaving my chemistry graduate program next month with a Master's so I'm also looking around for entry-level jobs, or one step above that. I've bled LinkedIn and a couple of chemistry-specific job sites dry over the past few months with only one on-site interview to show for it. I'm looking for jobs in a certain region so that I can move in with my GF, who has a year+ to go in a PhD program, so I've started looking at Craigslist in her area for chemistry jobs. Part-time, full-time, anything to help build my experience level and resume. Is there anything I should bear in mind or watch out for when job-hunting on Craigslist? Does anyone in this thread have success or horror stories related to Craigslist job-hunting?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

HiroProtagonist posted:

I don't mean to belittle the effort you've put into that at all, believe me, but it's an unfortunate fact that the less-technical a position that you're looking for, the more aggressive you have to be about pursuing a position. Technically-oriented professions or specialized business-oriented skillsets can often garner interest based on a resume and qualifications alone, but more positioning yourself as a more creative professional (of whatever stripe) will more often require proactively approaching and pursuing specific people in order to get your foot in the door. In purely objective terms, I would definitely characterize uploading your resume to temp agencies and job search sites as the basic, bare minimum. Networking and communicating with the people you can identify as the key stakeholders for the position you'd like to have is key to landing a spot in one of them.

In other words, it's my basic mantra--visibility, visibility, visibility. If you aren't finding success with what you're doing, it's because you aren't finding and using enough different ways of shoving your name and resume in front of the right eyes.
That is sound advice. I am certainly not going to complain about anyone offering criticism when I open myself up to it in a thread about critical decisionmaking! I have actually gone to temp agencies in person, though, and I was as surprised as anyone when that failed. Every time in the past (pre-recession, someone might point out) I have gotten a job the same day I applied at any agency, let alone applying to several. I mean, when you visibly stun the interviewers by turning in the fastest typing speed they have ever seen and finishing the timed test they say nobody finishes, you would really think they could find you something. :tiniestviolin: (I imagine it is largely because my résumé is terrible, I have been working on rectifying that)

LinkedIn really is sort of a thing I am doing partially for fun because it hardly seems like it can hurt (and it has helped me recognize some holes in my background). USAJobs.gov is my main job-seeking location, and the advice for federal jobs is pretty much "networking is pointless unless it is at an official job fair or you already work for an agency" since there are virtually no external-networking success stories, contrasted with plenty of stories of direct recommendations to HR departments resulting in absolutely no impact and attempts to get in good with HR being met with anger. I mean, you can (and I have) get recommendations for specific jobs to apply for through networking, but the USA's government is pretty good when it comes to having impenetrable hiring processes.

That said, I am not at all solely looking for government jobs; I am finishing a Ph.D. (which may be another reason temp agencies are now afraid of me, I have heard) and am really more interested in academia, but there are just so many interesting government job postings! And LinkedIn is so shiny!

Edit because this is hilarious: as I re-read the thread to make sure I did not miss anything, I see this for the first time:

hitension posted:

It's starting to permeate to all fields, but there are some fields (academia and government come to mind) where people don't rely on LinkedIn as much as their own networks.
ahahaha

I am totally in the right place

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 15, 2013

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I could use some advice about introduction letters, how to introduce myself to companies I want to work for. Keep in mind, I am an illustrator/content writer, and that implies a less serious tone that most professions. I've made some great connections via LinkedIn (some are now Facebook connections as well) and I'd like to offer my services in a friendly and professional way.

Danger Dog
Sep 19, 2011

by Hand Knit
Is it normal for a company to make its own regular LinkedIn profile (with "work experience," etc.) to connect with employees?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Danger Dog posted:

Is it normal for a company to make its own regular LinkedIn profile (with "work experience," etc.) to connect with employees?

Sounds weird to me, they should be creating a company page instead of trying to skirt the differences and walls that LinkedIn has purposely put in place between the two.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Browsing linkedin lately is anyone else noticing that more and more "entry level" jobs are requiring 5+ years experience?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Been standard for a while.

I actually got contacted by a recruiter about a position the other day. We'll see how it goes.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

Browsing linkedin lately is anyone else noticing that more and more "entry level" jobs are requiring 5+ years experience?

Don't sweat this, in my opinion. Ignore the listed "requirements" for experience if you think you'd be a good fit otherwise or for other reasons. Or, even better, simply apply to every single job you think you might like. Worst that can happen is that you get rejected, which is exactly what would happen if you declined to apply in the first place.

Rad R. posted:

I could use some advice about introduction letters, how to introduce myself to companies I want to work for. Keep in mind, I am an illustrator/content writer, and that implies a less serious tone that most professions. I've made some great connections via LinkedIn (some are now Facebook connections as well) and I'd like to offer my services in a friendly and professional way.

Just be warm and friendly, without crossing the line into "overly personal" or fawning. Infuse your own excitement about the possibilities of working with a company or for an individual and try to come across as genuine as possible.

It's difficult to give suggestions more specifically than that, because if you're trying to take a more informal approach the actual phrasing can vary wildly. Try to get a sense of how the person you're addressing prefers to interact by closely reading through their Linkedin profile and absorbing what you can of their personal writing style and communication quirks.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 15, 2013

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Quote, not edit, etc.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

Azuth0667 posted:

Yeah, I feel like this is happening, at least in the creative industry. The requirements seem to be rising, but the opportunities decreasing. I wonder how pay is, because I've been stuck in a rut for a while, and freelance has dwindled.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I'm sure everyone in this thread already believes it, but LinkedIn works and recruiters work (the right ones). Today I received an offer for 60% more than I currently make. The whole process started with a recruiter on LinkedIn. That's how I got my current job. That's also how I've landed several other offers that I've turned down.

In addition to keeping your profile up to date and connecting with lots of people, you should always stay in touch with a good recruiter. You'll know them because they send you openings that actually match your skillset and talk about technology and hopefully don't use the word rockstar.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I've been looking on the job market over the years and I've never not seen "2-5 years experience" as one of the blurbs for any serious job. Remember that the "requirements" are the employer's ideals and not a real requirement in many cases, and some postings have all sorts of poo poo that's really overblown in terms of actual importance to the position.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Maybe its time to dust off SPSS but for some reason 6 months ago I didn't see nearly as many "entry level" jobs requiring ridiculous amounts of experience.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

Don't sweat this, in my opinion. Ignore the listed "requirements" for experience if you think you'd be a good fit otherwise or for other reasons. Or, even better, simply apply to every single job you think you might like. Worst that can happen is that you get rejected, which is exactly what would happen if you declined to apply in the first place.

Just be warm and friendly, without crossing the line into "overly personal" or fawning. Infuse your own excitement about the possibilities of working with a company or for an individual and try to come across as genuine as possible.

It's difficult to give suggestions more specifically than that, because if you're trying to take a more informal approach the actual phrasing can vary wildly. Try to get a sense of how the person you're addressing prefers to interact by closely reading through their Linkedin profile and absorbing what you can of their personal writing style and communication quirks.

Ok, thank you. It's not all via LinkedIn, most of these introductions have to be conducted via social networks or email, because we're talking about magazines or apparel brands. Thus, my biggest task is not to spam, and not to come off to needy. I do need a job, more work, but I can't seem desperate for work. 'Allow me to introduce myself, I'm great and you should know it, lets work together for our mutual benefit'.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I've been looking on the job market over the years and I've never not seen "2-5 years experience" as one of the blurbs for any serious job. Remember that the "requirements" are the employer's ideals and not a real requirement in many cases, and some postings have all sorts of poo poo that's really overblown in terms of actual importance to the position.

If I may add, don't let an employers ideal requirements discourage you. A job advert lists what the ideal employee must be like, and in most cases, this ideal employee does not exist in real life. Just go for it, be assertive. You won't gain any negative points for applying.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I just approved the requests from the random people who added me during the ~6 years my profile was just "my name/political science graduate student [no picture]." Now, to figure out why an Army squadron commander, the owner of a bead store, an attorney, and a seed marketer wanted to connect to me.

Has anyone tried putting their LinkedIn URL on a résumé? Does that look cool or stupid? I realize a lot of the information would be duplicated, but it seems like it could serve as shorthand for "incidentally I do know how to use the Internet (and might even have interpersonal communication skills)." I am sure that is what a "skills" section is for, but putting "COMPUTER AND INTERNETS" in a skills section seems even dumber still.

Though I sort of wish my knowledge of MS-DOS batch file scripting and text-based versions of WordPerfect would somehow come in handy at some job somehow.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Quarex posted:

I just approved the requests from the random people who added me during the ~6 years my profile was just "my name/political science graduate student [no picture]." Now, to figure out why an Army squadron commander, the owner of a bead store, an attorney, and a seed marketer wanted to connect to me.

Has anyone tried putting their LinkedIn URL on a résumé? Does that look cool or stupid? I realize a lot of the information would be duplicated, but it seems like it could serve as shorthand for "incidentally I do know how to use the Internet (and might even have interpersonal communication skills)." I am sure that is what a "skills" section is for, but putting "COMPUTER AND INTERNETS" in a skills section seems even dumber still.

Though I sort of wish my knowledge of MS-DOS batch file scripting and text-based versions of WordPerfect would somehow come in handy at some job somehow.

I hyperlink it (in a tasteful headline manner, along with my website) when I send my resume in somewhere, since it's been some years since I have had to print a resume.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I am interested in developing some contacts at a few companies I am interested in working at. Should I be using inmail to cold call or just bullshit an excuse on the connect feature. The people I want to reach out to are 2nd/3rd degree.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
If they're second degree, you can ask your contact to help you reach out to them.
Actually, in my experience, second degree is pretty much the sweet spot for job recommendations.
You don't want to work next to your best buddies because that's awkward and money ruins friendships, but it's hard to get in with a company when you don't already know anybody working there. But a friend of a friend is just close enough to be able to refer you without being too close.

Third degree is OK, but I think LinkedIn just uses it at least in part to make it look like you know more people than you actually know.

LinkedIn is great but if you have any opportunity to engage in face to face interaction, I really recommend it.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
The connection is through a recruiter, who would probably be looking for a cut, which I am trying to avoid with the companies I am specifically targeting

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Does post count matter on linkedin? I see a bunch of people posting terrible facebook and text-like posts on linkedin, its the only reason I can think for people doing this other than stupidity.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Azuth0667 posted:

Does post count matter on linkedin? I see a bunch of people posting terrible facebook and text-like posts on linkedin, its the only reason I can think for people doing this other than stupidity.

Reasons for doing this:

1) Keep your name at the top of the "news" section on the linkedin homepage for your contacts. Basically increased visibility.
2) Personal branding, creating emotional connections through chatty posts.
3) Authority building through curation.
4) Stupidity / don't understand the network is not facebook.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Erdricks posted:

I am interested in developing some contacts at a few companies I am interested in working at. Should I be using inmail to cold call or just bullshit an excuse on the connect feature. The people I want to reach out to are 2nd/3rd degree.

Just BS an excuse to connect. Nobody cares about LinkedIns dumb rules. Unless you try to connect with a ton of people who reject you and trigger the spam blocker or something.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

mcsuede posted:

Reasons for doing this:

1) Keep your name at the top of the "news" section on the linkedin homepage for your contacts. Basically increased visibility.
2) Personal branding, creating emotional connections through chatty posts.
3) Authority building through curation.
4) Stupidity / don't understand the network is not facebook.

That sounds a lot like good posting matters, I take it "likes" are the same way. Please tell me they don't have some sort of retarded reputation thing I haven't discovered yet.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
I'm not sure which side of the "CONNECT WITH EVERYONE" / "DON'T CONNECT WITH PEOPLE YOU DON'T KNOW" argument this falls on, but I have a LinkedIn success story to share.

I've been trying to get noticed by a very small, selective marketing agency for about six months. This includes sending email introductions to their leadership and trying to get an audience with them, applying for any job listings that showed up that I was a fit for, and basically doing everything short of knocking on their front door. At some point I cross-referenced anyone working at their agency with my connections and found one person. A colleague of mine from a previous job went to high school with someone who currently works there. I reached out to my friend via text message and asked if he could speak to her about me sending her an email. Her and I touched base, she referred me internally, and four months later, I just signed for an apartment and am relocating to start on June 3.

Again, not sure if this helps except to say that LinkedIn can be leveraged like any other networking tool.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Is it necessary to have a summary? If I'm not looking for anything specific should I just put a general blahblahblah thing up there about myself?

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Sounds like a perfect example of appropriate usage of LinkedIn to me.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Anybody have advice on recruiter follow-up?

I've had a few respond to my connection requests and then send me an email, however I don't want to hound them on a daily basis. What's an appropriate amount of time to remind them of my continued job search?

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

ianskate posted:

Anybody have advice on recruiter follow-up?

I've had a few respond to my connection requests and then send me an email, however I don't want to hound them on a daily basis. What's an appropriate amount of time to remind them of my continued job search?

They sent you an email, and then did you respond? And they didn't continue after that? If it is an open "Nice to meet you" thing, then wait a few weeks or a month I think. If this is a continuing conversation and you would anticipate hearing back from them, I think waiting a week is fine. I think it's worth keeping in mind that recruiters have tough skin - they are used to folks being aggressive and, barring anything creepy or obsessive, just use common sense. At what point would you annoy you? Do less than that.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

mfaley posted:

They sent you an email, and then did you respond? And they didn't continue after that?

Yes, yes, and correct.

mfaley posted:

I think it's worth keeping in mind that recruiters have tough skin - they are used to folks being aggressive and, barring anything creepy or obsessive, just use common sense. At what point would you annoy you? Do less than that.

That's why I'm curious. Naturally, I feel like sending a bi-monthly to monthly email reminder would be acceptable, if I haven't heard anything back. Knowing that they're busy juggling multiple clients, people and postings, I can only assume anything else could get annoying.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 23, 2013

Pug
Nov 26, 2008

ianskate posted:

Yes, yes, and correct.

That's why I'm curious. Naturally, I feel like sending a bi-monthly to monthly email reminder would be acceptable, if I haven't heard anything back. Knowing that they're busy juggling multiple clients, people and postings, I can only assume anything else could get annoying.

I would say keep up with them every week or two should be fine. You probably did not meet one of the criteria for a position they had available when they first contacted you. Ask them to help you update your resume. Consider inquiring about any temp positions that may be available while you search for a new permanent position. Also, don't be afraid to contact other staffing agencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Follow up weekly, always let them know when you're going to follow up again, (e.g. "If I don't hear from you beforehand, I'll ping you next Thursday, OK?).

The only time I've heard a "no" was "Thursday's bad, as I'm going out of town. How about the Monday after?"

It's always good to have a career-goal relevant opener to follow-up emails. This week has provided plenty of fodder for anyone who wants to work in the games industry, as an example.

• Locked thread