Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No one cares what you think, idiot.

SoundMonkey easily claims the snype.

Star Trek Intercourse Parakeet you are a very rude man and should feel bad about you are saelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

SoundMonkey easily claims the snype.

Star Trek Intercourse Parakeet you are a very rude man and should feel bad about you are saelf.
that's "Star Treks" if we we're gonna stick with the incorrect pluralization :eng101:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

that's "Star Treks" if we we're gonna stick with the incorrect pluralization :eng101:

It's a good thing your avatar's frantic gyration syncs up perfectly with the dubstep I'm listening to right now or I'd six-hour your rear end into next week. And by next week I mean six hours from now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Please don't make jokes about my pristine rap sheet

:parrot:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Please don't make jokes about my pristine rap sheet

One button, sex parrot. One button and it's all over.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Hey, why don't you guys both six hour each other repeatedly in an alternating manner . That way the people in your respective subforums don't have to read either of your posts. :v:

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 22, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

Hey, why don't you guys both six hour each other repeatedly in an alternating maner . That way the people in your respective subforums don't have to read either of your posts. :v:

:drat:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

8th-samurai posted:

Hey, why don't you guys both six hour each other repeatedly in an alternating manner . That way the people in your respective subforums don't have to read either of your posts. :v:

I got a greasemonkey script you might want. It hides all blue star posts.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Can we just stop this crap and get back on topic?

Anyway I'm really into bird/wildlife photography and I'm looking for a good long lens. I need something for shooting pigeons on city statues, cranes in the drainage canal by my house, and the squirrel that keeps robbing my birdhouse. I've been looking at the Canon 200-400 F4 1.4x and think that might be just what I need. At $11,799.00 it's a little bit out my range but I could swing it if I stop going on vacation for the next 10 years and start farming my own food. Any thoughts?

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Man, everyone is so cranky here lately. Go outside and enjoy some sunshine people!

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Haggins posted:

Can we just stop this crap and get back on topic?

Anyway I'm really into bird/wildlife photography and I'm looking for a good long lens. I need something for shooting pigeons on city statues, cranes in the drainage canal by my house, and the squirrel that keeps robbing my birdhouse. I've been looking at the Canon 200-400 F4 1.4x and think that might be just what I need. At $11,799.00 it's a little bit out my range but I could swing it if I stop going on vacation for the next 10 years and start farming my own food. Any thoughts?

Fun hater.

While I don't have any personal experience with a lens of that caliber, I have almost always recommended renting lenses that you are considering purchasing that require a lifestyle change to afford. But if I'm understanding you correctly, this would be for a hobby? The price point of that lens is well outside of hobby range. I personally use a 70-200 with a 2x extender for birds n such. Not ideal but much cheaper.

On second thought, is it a requirement to have zoom? Because with that kind of play money you could go straight for the 500mm With a 1.4x or a 2x, atmospheric distortion starts to become a factor, you wouldn't need anything longer. Oh God, the bird photos you would get :gizz:

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 22, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Howbout an OM-D + FD 100-300 f5.6 L or 80-200 f4 FD L :v:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
500mm F8 Mirror lens for 80bux from Bower. An unfun option for your unfun post.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CarrotFlowers posted:

Man, everyone is so cranky here lately. Go outside and enjoy some sunshine people!
There's none. That's why.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's none. That's why.

Storms make amazing cloud patterns, should be a photographer's dream. :colbert:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Haggins posted:

At $11,799.00 it's a little bit out my range but I could swing it if I stop going on vacation for the next 10 years and start farming my own food. Any thoughts?

If you're Mitt Romney, sure. If not, get a 100-400L and put the rest of the money in an IRA.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m not entirely sure that post was serious.

Or maybe you all agree and I’m the one missing the joke. :sigh:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

If you're Mitt Romney, sure. If not, get a 100-400L and put the rest of the money in an IRA.

Will it work well for zoo animal portraits? I'm trying to pitch a book to taschen so it will be for a professional business.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Have you considered zooming with your feet?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Haggins posted:

Will it work well for zoo animal portraits? I'm trying to pitch a book to taschen so it will be for a professional business.

The 100-400 might be too slow for zoo portraits. You might want to poison the animal feed so they stop moving and are easier to photograph.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bubbacub posted:

The 100-400 might be too slow for zoo portraits. You might want to poison the animal feed so they stop moving and are easier to photograph.

Most zoo animals have lost their will to live, no poison needed.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Perhaps they should consider a Canon 200-400 F4 1.4x to get some of that mojo back.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I have had a few friends (and the internet) recommend the large New York retailers like B&H as a great place to go with great prices.

Is the online store the same price as in store? I'm looking to buy a camera and there a couple of places in Australia that are the same price/cheaper than the B&H website. I'm assuming there a a whole bunch of sales/specials in store that aren't on the website?

Should I hold off for a couple of months so my folks can buy the stuff I want in store when they visit the US or should I pull the trigger now?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you live in Australia I'm not sure why you'd buy from B&H instead of a local company. I mean, B&H is fine, but even as someone who lives in the US I wouldn't buy from them over Amazon if Amazon was cheaper.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Haggins: what body are you using? Granted it'd be slow as hell, but the 400 5.6 and a 1.4x isn't awful, IQ-wise.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Australia has the general issue of being stupidly overpriced or full or dishonest/grey import online retailers so places like b&h get recommended for good prices and being reputable.

It seems I have found a good, honest deal for what I'm after but was just checking whether I would save a bunch of money in store if I got my folks to buy over there in person.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

powderific posted:

If you live in Australia I'm not sure why you'd buy from B&H instead of a local company. I mean, B&H is fine, but even as someone who lives in the US I wouldn't buy from them over Amazon if Amazon was cheaper.

Have you seen Australian prices?

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012

powderific posted:

B+H doesn't charge tax outside of NY state, which usually makes up for any difference between their price and Amazon's on those $1000+ purchases.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, I hadn't seen australian prices, nor did I know that it was full of grey market stuff. But xcore said he'd found lower prices locally online and was wondering whether there were extra special specials in the B&H physical store, which I don't think is going to be the case on most items. Their prices are fine and they're reputable, but there are lots of camera and electronics stores in the US that meet that.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Verman posted:

Most zoo animals have lost their will to live, no poison needed.

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

William T. Hornaday posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Are you a zookeeper or something? Animals in zoos are specters of their wild selves.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Yes, I am. And no, they are not.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
:munch:

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

xcore posted:

Australia

For lenses etc I've bought from the following stores
digitalrev.com (free shipping, 2 days from HK generally)
cameraparadise.com (takes a few days generally, requires over the phone verification)
https://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/

and for gear (lights, flashes, stands etc) I buy stuff from hypop.com.au
really good price and quick shipping from the eastern states

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Thanks dude. That is going to help with my research and help with the ever growing list of poo poo I want to buy.

This hobby so aint cheap. I can deal with dropping a couple of grand on a camera and a couple of lenses but I kind of forgot about the memory cards, carry cases, straps, tripods, remote sensors, flashes, spare batteries, computer software, learning resources etc.

I understand I don't need all this at the start, but still. I want it all!

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Bang3r posted:

For lenses etc I've bought from the following stores
digitalrev.com (free shipping, 2 days from HK generally)
cameraparadise.com (takes a few days generally, requires over the phone verification)
https://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/

and for gear (lights, flashes, stands etc) I buy stuff from hypop.com.au
really good price and quick shipping from the eastern states

Since this comes up often enough and we Australians get massively screwed, for Sydney...
- I get most of my lenses and bodies from B&H, KEH and Adorama. Digital Rev is great (their youtube channel is painful), Digital Camera Warehouse on Canterbury Road are okay, DWI is horrible.
- I've bought all my lighting through Cameras Direct in QLD (http://camerasdirect.com.au/), who are great to deal with. Otherwise, Kayell at Artarmon (http://www.kayellaustralia.com.au/)
- The only used store I have seen which has a decent range is Foto Riesel on Kent St (http://www.fotoriesel.com.au/). There is a little store on Elizabeth St down near the thing for Army in Hyde Park that has some obscure and film stuff (as well as digital), but their prices are pretty stupid most of the time
- For cheap Chinee accessories, ebay or Photoshop Studio down on Paramatta Rd (http://www.photo-shop-studio.com/)if you want something today. Don't pay Teds $200 for a used demo stock, generic chinese light stand.
- Film from Macodirect or Freestyle for generic stuff. In a pinch, maybe Foto Riesel or Vanbar, but you will pay $10-$15 per roll. wtf.
- Chemicals from Vanbar
- If you need development, Vision Image Lab in Redfern (http://www.visionimagelab.com.au/) or Foto Riesel ($10/roll)
- For hardcore black and white nerding out, Blanco Negro: http://www.blanconegro.com.au/blanconegro/home/home.html
- Printing is all about Pixel Perfect (http://www.pixelperfect.com.au/), but Vision IL are a close second

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 23, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Ethanfr0me posted:

B+H doesn't charge tax outside of NY state, which usually makes up for any difference between their price and Amazon's on those $1000+ purchases.

Federal laws are changing and this is no longer true soon. Congress pushed forward with a law that states if you pay a form of taxation on goods and services, you are no longer exempt from them over the internet. For USA persons, tax free internet havens are soon going away.

Im not sure how this plays out for international orders.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Besides, everyone was already declaring all of those Internet purchases every year when they filed their taxes, right? :haw:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually do pay use tax on most of my business stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Besides, everyone was already declaring all of those Internet purchases every year when they filed their taxes, right? :haw:

Illinois is gracious enough to let me pay $50 to forget about it. Sure I could save all those receipts, but fuuuucckk that. I buy so much poo poo online $50 is probably a bargain.

But I guess that easy ride is going to go away too, because hell if I'm going to let them nail me twice for the same purchase.