Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I used to live a block north of Moore (house is still on the market :( ) and so far the only major issue anyone I know has is a guy's wife had her car disappear from where she works (near the Warren). As of yesterday they hadn't found it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Hey, if the house blew away, collect the insurance and sell the lot to get even more money. Loads of people did it up in Northwest OKC when it blew away and made off like bandits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

Seriously, it was that big a deal?

There were "DARE Days" at the school where everyone would wear their shirts and I was the only one without one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rhyno posted:

There were "DARE Days" at the school where everyone would wear their shirts and I was the only one without one.

Did you go to school in an alternate universe where every teenage ever wouldn't immediately say, "gently caress this poo poo," to wearing a DARE t-shirt?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Safety Dance posted:

Did you go to school in an alternate universe where every teenage ever wouldn't immediately say, "gently caress this poo poo," to wearing a DARE t-shirt?

The school kept them on hand and I swear to god, the other kids took great pride in taunting me over it.

You can bet your rear end I narked on those fuckers when I caught them smoking behind the gym a few years later.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

brother-joseph posted:

It had crashed into his daughter's Barbie Power Wheels truck and now all anyone can do is make jokes about proving the wreck wasn't his daughter's fault.

I hope the owner of the Lexus is insured. Body panels on a Barbie Jeep don't come cheap.

That whole area is just gotten a unfair share of pain this week. :(

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah really. This DARE stuff is totally foreign to me, where did this go on? I can't imagine the kids in my school agreeing on anything enough to all wear even, like, an Aerosmith shirt. Much less some school sponsored crap.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sorry the image is a bit poo poo, I took it from inside my mail truck which is itself pretty terrible car stuff. The cab of this truck is two E-150 cabins married together at the b-pillar, and the front cabin appeared to have been from an ambulance (red and white lights at the side marker). I guess that's one way to get a quad cab.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

drat, that's the kind of thing you see in lab in a Sci-Fi film begging to be killed.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 23, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I was just playing geoguessr.com and came across a shot along the Mexican border to Texas.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Que-car?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

davebo posted:

I was just playing geoguessr.com and came across a shot along the Mexican border to Texas.

That look is still a "thing" down here in South Texas, I see too many cars with tiny stretched tires on poked rims :barf:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

bennyfactor posted:

Sorry the image is a bit poo poo, I took it from inside my mail truck which is itself pretty terrible car stuff. The cab of this truck is two E-150 cabins married together at the b-pillar, and the front cabin appeared to have been from an ambulance (red and white lights at the side marker). I guess that's one way to get a quad cab.

:siren:Suicide Doors!:siren:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

EightBit posted:

That look is still a "thing" down here in South Texas, I see too many cars with tiny stretched tires on poked rims :barf:

The term thrown around in L.A. is 'mexiflush'

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yes. Not to be confused with actual legitimate low-riders, IMO.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

blugu64 posted:

:siren:Suicide Doors!:siren:

Suicide everything.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fucknag posted:

Que-car?

This isn't getting enough love.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

SaNChEzZ posted:

I was always a fan of the wheels that didn't start until they were already outside of the fenderwell.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Hey, if the house blew away, collect the insurance and sell the lot to get even more money. Loads of people did it up in Northwest OKC when it blew away and made off like bandits.

That's what I was hoping for, but I've been told it's still there. I'd actually make a profit on an insurance payout. I kind of feel like an rear end for this, but I'm hoping the housing market picks up a bit.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

bennyfactor posted:

Further proof that he hasn't thought out that abomination: The rear seat he's gone to so much effort to add is basically useless for anyone who has a head thanks to the rake of the windshield. But five seconds travel with any sort of load at all ought to see to that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This is going to be a little different.

"I'm tired of my Mustang - I'm going to drive a cruiser for a couple of years until I decide what I want in the crop of 2016 cars":

"I'm going to go out to dinner the next day and park right outside the restaurant. Oh wait, I'm done eating, and the car is gone. What."

Three days later, I get the call that it has been found, but the wheels are missing and there's some bumper damage. Ok, that's not too ba...what:

The entire car was scratched because it was stuffed somewhere, apparently. There was underside/frame damage. A total of $20,000 in damages...and still not a total. It's been in repair for a month at this point.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
At first I thought that post implied that the thieves brought it back to the same restaurant and left it on blocks after wrecking it and I seriously had a :psyduck: moment at the stupidity of that situation.

Sucks about the extent of repairs. I wouldn't want that thing back after frame damage and some idiot out hammering off the rev limiter for a couple hours before he oversteered into a jersey barrier or something.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

JP Money posted:

At first I thought that post implied that the thieves brought it back to the same restaurant and left it on blocks after wrecking it and I seriously had a :psyduck: moment at the stupidity of that situation.

Sucks about the extent of repairs. I wouldn't want that thing back after frame damage and some idiot out hammering off the rev limiter for a couple hours before he oversteered into a jersey barrier or something.

They never got it started. Push button start and all and no ignition damage.

What they apparently did was force it into neutral (stick shift) by slamming into it with another car in the back, then pushed it down the street, where they jimmied the door open somehow. Then they pushed it into somewhere to hide it where they scratched up the entire thing, took the wheels off, and dumped it somewhere after rifling through everything.

So, basically, ~200-500 profit from taking the wheels/tires and $20,000 worth of damage. And of course I had a stupid high deductible because I just transferred my old car policy over on getting the car before shopping around to get the best deals. Oh, and my 30 days of rental coverage run out today too, yay.

Fortunately, it's a lease because, as I said, I only wanted this car for a couple of years.

You don't normally worry much about theft (not when being gone on a main, public street, for two hours, at least) with modern cars because of the electronic starts, but what goes underreported, and what thieves are doing is pushing those cars away or towing them away.

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 23, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That just seems like so much effort for so little reward. I don't get it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Guinness posted:

That just seems like so much effort for so little reward. I don't get it.

Meth.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

Darko posted:

This is going to be a little different.

"I'm tired of my Mustang - I'm going to drive a cruiser for a couple of years until I decide what I want in the crop of 2016 cars":

"I'm going to go out to dinner the next day and park right outside the restaurant. Oh wait, I'm done eating, and the car is gone. What."

Three days later, I get the call that it has been found, but the wheels are missing and there's some bumper damage. Ok, that's not too ba...what:

The entire car was scratched because it was stuffed somewhere, apparently. There was underside/frame damage. A total of $20,000 in damages...and still not a total. It's been in repair for a month at this point.

Well, that loving sucks!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
20k and not a total? Jesus. Did you at least get to choose where you brought it for work?

I had a simple (lol) rear quarter panel replacement that took 7 weeks and $5500.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Chinatown posted:

20k and not a total? Jesus. Did you at least get to choose where you brought it for work?

I had a simple (lol) rear quarter panel replacement that took 7 weeks and $5500.

If it's more than 2/3rds the value of the car they will total. Below that, they will fix. So it was close, maybe REAL close.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Mighty Horse posted:

If it's more than 2/3rds the value of the car they will total. Below that, they will fix. So it was close, maybe REAL close.

2012 Challenger R/Ts started at 29,995, so if he had one or two extra options it'd be just enough to not be totaled after 20k in damages.

Seriously though, I cringed when I saw those pics. Super sorry for your loss, Challenger R/T is my current dream car. Hope you get her back soon.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Mighty Horse posted:

Depends on the state but 75% is the more common threshold for a vehicle being declared a total.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

80% for a total in Michigan. You should see my insurance premiums here as well (worst in the country). The car was listed at 33k (wheels, radio, etc.), and there was no real depreciation since it was Day 2 and 50 miles, so 20k was just under 2/3. I'm so glad it wasn't a buy, and there's no way in hell this is getting bought at the end of the lease (I don't do that, anyway - either buy up front or lease for two years when I'm not sure what I want long-term).

I got to pick where I took it, so I took it to the "best possible place" in the area after doing some research.

Darko fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 24, 2013

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.
Maybe not Terrible, per-say, but still:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

LongDarkNight posted:

Depends on the state but 75% is the more common threshold for a vehicle being declared a total.

Are there state laws that mandate when an insurance company must decide to total a car? I thought it was just a matter of them comparing:
1: value of car before accident / cost to replace with a similar vehicle, minus value of wrecked car at salvage
or
2: estimated cost to repair

I'd imagine that varies at least somewhat between cars

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

televiper posted:

Maybe not Terrible, per-say, but still:

my favorite (no joke) is tow hitches on inappropriate cars

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

A Jeep absolutely covered in Juggalo garbage.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I see a monster energy logo too, truly the best of owners.

Fortunately it's just a KK body Liberty, so nothing of value has been lost.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

I see a monster energy logo too, truly the best of owners.

Fortunately it's just a KK body Liberty, so nothing of value has been lost.

That's a jeep commander, you need to get your eyes checked :rolleyes:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Apparently I do. I still want nothing to do with it either way.

It looked like a late Liberty to me due to the hatch glass opening... guess I was wrong.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.leftlanenews.com/marchionne-jeep-commander-was-unfit-for-human-consumption.html

quote:

"That car was unfit for human consumption," Marchionne said of the Commander. "We sold some. But I don't know why people bought them."

I'm really not sure what's so bad about it, other than looking kind of weird with a too-short wheelbase since it was based off the GC. Most reviews at the time seemed pretty positive. Maybe the looks just meant it couldn't compete with the H2 and Expedition? I've never driven one, but it's a giant SUV so what dynamic issues could there be?

I think Marchionne was just hamming it up and playing politics by dumping on the previous admministration.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

Apparently I do. I still want nothing to do with it either way.

It looked like a late Liberty to me due to the hatch glass opening... guess I was wrong.

It was a joke, the liberty and commander look almost identical, one is just bigger.