Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Wow... a Motorola Radio. We used to have those on the railroad both engine and portables. They couldn't upgrade the old Motorolas to the new digital poo poo, so they bought these god awful JEM engine radios and Kenwood handsets. I hear lots of "what" and "I can't hear you". I hear them loud and clear..... because my Motorola Handset was upgradable. :smug:

You know what's inside a JEM? A Kenwood. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Wow... a Motorola Radio.

That's a $6,000 trunking radio. I'm pretty sure someone at the county is retiring on Motorola kick backs, as they buy new poo poo constantly. It seems almost like it's on purpose.

Then the wave effect is that their new poo poo isn't compatible with the old poo poo so every police department and fire company in the county ends up with a $50,000 to $200,000 bill to replace all their equipment. Hopefully this newest narrow band stuff will be around for a while. Most fir companies have barely paid off their loans for the last batch of radios, which now have basically no commercial value whatsoever as they are no good for business or emergency band radio and not worth the trouble for amateur radio. They are essentially garbage at this point.

Have I mentioned that this system still doesn't work as well as our original VHF low radios that had been in operation for so long some of them had tubes? I can't get to the county if I'm in a basement most times, and I can't scan between fireground (analog) channels and the rest of the digital trunking channels as I used to, so now every officer ends up carrying two portables and has two mobiles in their trucks.

Sorry for the derail. I was just dealing with this poo poo yesterday. The county is bitching that the MDT software I'm using is outdated yet haven't sent me whatever version it is that they want me to use.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

I came out of the 711 andthe and they were both checking out my car so I joked that theirs were a lot shinier than mine. So they began asking me questions about how much I got it for, SPECIFICALLY said the tint looked good, asked if it was just a security Vic but I pointed out where all the service equipment was removed. Talked to them for ten minutes or so, all in all these guys were pretty chill.

Despite all the trouble SPD has been in over the last couple of years, 90% of the SPD officers I have dealt with are super chill guys. Even when I got busted for weed(never arrested, just caught smoking, and before it was legalized) they were super nice and easy to deal with. The worst interaction I had was with the assistant chief of police for seattle, when he pulled me over, not for any driving infraction, just cause he didn't like how I was driving in a car "with his license plates". Apparently honking at a car who stopped in the middle of the block for no reason, multiple times, while driving a car with LEM plates was enough to piss him off.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Motronic posted:

That's a $6,000 trunking radio. I'm pretty sure someone at the county is retiring on Motorola kick backs, as they buy new poo poo constantly. It seems almost like it's on purpose.

Then the wave effect is that their new poo poo isn't compatible with the old poo poo so every police department and fire company in the county ends up with a $50,000 to $200,000 bill to replace all their equipment. Hopefully this newest narrow band stuff will be around for a while. Most fir companies have barely paid off their loans for the last batch of radios, which now have basically no commercial value whatsoever as they are no good for business or emergency band radio and not worth the trouble for amateur radio. They are essentially garbage at this point.

Have I mentioned that this system still doesn't work as well as our original VHF low radios that had been in operation for so long some of them had tubes? I can't get to the county if I'm in a basement most times, and I can't scan between fireground (analog) channels and the rest of the digital trunking channels as I used to, so now every officer ends up carrying two portables and has two mobiles in their trucks.

Sorry for the derail. I was just dealing with this poo poo yesterday. The county is bitching that the MDT software I'm using is outdated yet haven't sent me whatever version it is that they want me to use.

And now you guys know the true long-term fallout from the FCC starting to auction spectrum.

Spectrum is now so precious and valuable that they have to do all sorts of digital narrowband bullshit to maintain service.

That being said, a lot of public safety is just moving to LTE.

--Motorola Solutions employee

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

And now you guys know the true long-term fallout from the FCC starting to auction spectrum.

Spectrum is now so precious and valuable that they have to do all sorts of digital narrowband bullshit to maintain service.

That being said, a lot of public safety is just moving to LTE.

--Motorola Solutions employee

Ugh. Seriously, we can move this to the misc chat.... but gently caress that auction ordeal. Really hoses the people that actually need the wider band in order to communicate.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
10grand for a 2003 Marauder with 100k? In Denver?

Seems high but on the other hand I want it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not bad, a bit high but if it's in great condition it might be worth it.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Ok, which one of you guys is going to buy this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Worlds-Only-Interceptor-Wagon-/251276188903?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a813a5ce7#ht_500wt_1182

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

If that was a Whale instead of an Aero i'd be all over that.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

T1g4h posted:

If that was a Whale instead of an Aero i'd be all over that.

I was thinking the same but tbh it's an ugly beast. The Sable wagon lines don't flow well on it at all.

E: this doesn't make it any less awesome.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
I have a new appreciation for working on my car after helping my buddy change a headlight bulb in his 2002 civic. What a PITA.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone good at diagnosing the auto climate control on Panthers? The fan just shut down out of nowhere, I can hear the compressor kicking on but I get nothing.

[edit] appears to be the blower motor/control module, will update.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 23, 2013

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Who needs a truck when you have a panther?

Not sure what he was hauling, but I was impressed someone spent the time to build a mount for it.

Edit: This is Oklahoma, so no it did not have a flag, nor was it tied in.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Poisonlizard posted:

Who needs a truck when you have a panther?

Not sure what he was hauling, but I was impressed someone spent the time to build a mount for it.

Edit: This is Oklahoma, so no it did not have a flag, nor was it tied in.

Excuse me, hauling? :what:

That is clearly a lance mount.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Figured this seemed appropriate here....

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I loving hate ads listed for $1. Go to hell.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Here's the link to the dealers site. 12 large.

http://fastlanemotorsiowa.com/details.php?listing=27

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It looks so... right. It could be the theme for AI.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ultimateforce posted:

I couldn't possibly agree more.

IGNORE KEYWORDS: diesel coal 4x4 350 carb dirtbike condom clown integra low rider HID low miles honda toyota chevy chevrolet pontiac jeep dodge mud truck hot rod

Dealers that do this ought to be shot.

That is a really nice car though.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Like a hot dog in a.....something. Parking in my buddy's fairly typical Seattle garage is a bit of a squeeze. Also just passed 2,000 miles in the Vic!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Perusing my IMGUR account:

Saw that one ^ parked outside the Marriott in Coralville, IA a few years ago.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

ultimateforce posted:

Whenever I'm searching Craigslist I put the minimum price at like $5 or something and it makes things so much nicer.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Splizwarf posted:

Excuse me, hauling? :what:

That is clearly a lance mount.

I think you've just invented a new form of Destruction Derby. Now I want to buy a couple panthers and joust!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Huggable Bear King posted:

I think you've just invented a new form of Destruction Derby. Now I want to buy a couple panthers and joust!

Wouldn't pony cars be better for that? :rimshot:

angryhampster, every time I look at that "bumper" abomination, all I can think is "that is a very strangely shaped shopping cart corral he's parked in."

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

There is something oh so right about Panthers with blowers poking through the hood :allears:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Huggable Bear King posted:

Oh my, yes. I recommend explosive lances.

quote:

Explosive lances were designed to kill a whale by exploding inside its body.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

angryhampster posted:

Perusing my IMGUR account:

Saw that one ^ parked outside the Marriott in Coralville, IA a few years ago.

Why does a Town Car need a forestry-service type brush gaurd???

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Red_October_7000 posted:

Why does a Town Car need a forestry-service type brush gaurd???

Montana.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

E: nm

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Splizwarf posted:

Oh my, yes. I recommend explosive lances.

Ha! that reminds me, this was part of my student portfolio for art school (to get into art school) I had to make a collage so I made it about my car

Huggable Bear King fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 31, 2013

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
$2000 and 26 bids at a Dallas auction for anyone interested. Btw how many central texas Panther owning goons are reading this thread? I'm going to go to the Austin State Surplus Retail store this next week to look at the 93 crown vics there.

quote:

Lot: 01 - 1997 Ford Crown Victoria
Runs, cold a/c, custom body lift kit, lambo doors, custom paint, 26-inch rims, flat screen tv, shaved door handles and starts without key, Unknown miles, VIN #2FALP71W2VX147214, Has Storage Lien Certificate, No key

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Oh god, please tell me he had a rear view camera hooked up to that and no mirror.

Actually, he probably had no mirror and no camera, just spongebob.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It took suprisingly longer than expected to source a blue, non cruise, 98+ CV steering wheel that wasn't rotted out but the wait was worth it.

Out by Ranier.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 3, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How'd you end up getting that wheel? Too bad the eBay prices were so steep.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why did you go non cruise? I thought you were planning on adding it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That was Holdbrooks, I think. Car works fine for me, I don't get out on the freeway much anyways so the amount of times I'd be using it doesn't really make it worth it to me.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
So the Austin State Surplus Store has over a hundred Crown Vics in their parking lots right now. Prices vary from 4k to 7k for most 2007-2008 models with around 100k miles. Currently every car they have is a retired DPS Texas State Trooper car, and in a few weeks there should be a shipment of retired cars from the Texas Railroad Commision (state agency that regulates the oil and gas industry, gas utilities, pipeline safety,). They also haven't done an auction for a few months so they are planning one for next month. I think I'll wait until the auction to see how cheap the cars get, but I'm optimistic that I'll be driving around a crown vic within the next two months.

Anyone Texans here who have bought a state surplus crown vic? In the next month I'm going to be looking at some service records for cars in my price / condition range.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

DFW NORML scooped one up about 2 years ago for their "Truth Enforcement" car :v:

IIRC they got it pretty cheap - around $2500? - it was a retired Ft Worth PD patrol car with about 100k.

AFAIK, the only issues they've had so far have been the starter and a/c compressor. And of course it's a massive cop magnet, as one would expect when your car is covered in pot leaves and NORML stickers. I can ask around and try to get more info on it if you want - right now it's mostly used for events in both DFW and Austin, and gets driven back and forth between DFW and Austin pretty regularly.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
That is an amazing thing to see in Texas. If you could ask if they bought theirs at a State Surplus auction that would be helpful, and what model year it was. I think I'm lucking out that nearly 100% of the cars I'm looking at are highway patrol cars and not PD patrols cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

AmericanBarbarian posted:

That is an amazing thing to see in Texas. If you could ask if they bought theirs at a State Surplus auction that would be helpful, and what model year it was. I think I'm lucking out that nearly 100% of the cars I'm looking at are highway patrol cars and not PD patrols cars.

Yeah, highway cars are the ones to get for sure. Another tip is that the newer cars I think 06 and up have an hours meter in the cluster when you cycle the odo/trip. So you can see if it spent an eternity idling. I would not want railway car as those would spend a lot of tile driving lovely dirt road and have probably seen a lot of airtime from crossings and washes. And if its anything like the rail industry the were beat on without mercy as the people I know that work rail company tell me tails of basically destroying new cars and how may transmissions and such they have broken.