Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M as in Mancy
Apr 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Alright, cool.

since I've heard how good Femshep is as a character, I'm modeling my Shepard after Louise Belcher and/or Kristen Schall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Bring Down The Sky for 1, Shadow Broker and the squadmates for 2, and all of them for 3.

Omega is skippable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The worst thing you could say about Omega is that the story is pretty inconsequential, but it's mostly combat, and the combat areas are among the best in the game/DLCs.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Daionus the 23rd posted:

Alright, cool.

since I've heard how good Femshep is as a character, I'm modeling my Shepard after Louise Belcher and/or Kristen Schall.

Good luck making Kristen Schaal, the game's face engine won't allow you to make characters that don't have pronounced cheekbones or prominent features.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The worst thing you could say about Omega is that the story is pretty inconsequential, but it's mostly combat, and the combat areas are among the best in the game/DLCs.
I'd say that the fact that pretty much anyone would like to push Aria through an airlock is a major factor as well. Seriously, such a terrible character.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Bring Down The Sky for 1, Shadow Broker and the squadmates for 2, and all of them for 3.
Overlord (ME2) is also very good.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
I'd actually recommend Arrival as well, even if people around here aren't exactly huge fans of it.
It's supposed to bridge ME2 to ME3, and even if it's pretty inconsequential in the grand scheme of things (mostly a fault of ME3's lovely story rather than the DLC's), it's yet more story content and it has a pretty awesome final setpiece. Just make sure to play Arrival after you've finished ME2's main storyline missions (after the ending credits, yes, you can keep playing after that) if you decide to get it.

Basically, get all of the DLC for ME2 except for cosmetics and weapon packs (though even the weapon pack with the Mattock rifle is worth its price, but it's by no means as essential as the actual story content / squadmate DLCs).

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Just to toss in my 2 cents:

Mass Effect 1: Bring Down the Sky

Mass Effect 2: Squadmates, Overlord, Shadow Broker, Firepower Pack (if you want the best guns in the game)

Mass Effect 3: From Ashes, Leviathan, Citadel (MUST), Extended Cut

There are a bunch of weapon packs for ME3, but they are completely optional for the most part. The game throws a ton of awesome guns at you in the vanilla version. Omega is fun, but wait to see how you feel by the time you get to ME3 before buying it.

As for Arrival mentioned above, it bridges ME2 and ME3 but you could just as easily watch a recap on the internet. I'd lump it in with Omega in terms of value.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

reagan posted:

As for Arrival mentioned above, it bridges ME2 and ME3 but you could just as easily watch a recap on the internet. I'd lump it in with Omega in terms of value.
I think that's a fair assessment. Arrival's score is fab, though, and deserves listening to. Here are all of Arrival's individual tracks/pieces, very nicely strung together into a whole.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's not really quite fair, Arrival's combat sections are pretty much garbage because of the stupidity of it having no squadmates throughout, while Omega gives you two new companions with some pretty nice new abilities.

M as in Mancy
Apr 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Louise Belcher it is.

What's the recommended class for starters like me?

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
I think the only one that is generally agreed to have no redeeming qualities is Pinnacle Station for 1. I wouldn't skip any of the story DLC for either of the others; not everything is as crucial as Lair of the Shadow Broker, Extended Cut or Citadel, but I don't think there are a lot of people who regret getting the bonus squadmates, Overlord or Leviathan. Even Arrival, Firewalker and Omega have their moments, though they're the first to skip if you can't get everything.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Daionus the 23rd posted:

Louise Belcher it is.

Space-magic: yay or nay?

M as in Mancy
Apr 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sounds pretty cool to me.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Sentinel is robust and has a nice mix of space magic and tech powers.

M as in Mancy
Apr 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sentinel it is.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also, if you plan to play multiplayer at all, you should download all that DLC before you start doing anything in multiplayer. It's all completely free, and downloading it opens up the possibility of unlocking all the new poo poo in it (characters, guns, and so on) so there's absolutely no reason not to do it, unless you're super strapped for hard drive space or something.

If you don't plan to play MP, then you can obviously pass on it because it doesn't do anything for single player, but just be ready to do that if you decide to try multiplayer (which you should, it's fun)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Daionus the 23rd posted:

Louise Belcher it is.

Vanguard. Because in 1 both shotguns and biotics are hilariously broken (why yes I did fling a Krogan 100 ft into the air and then pick him off with a single shotgun blast) and in 2 they're :black101: and in 3 they're :black101::black101:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So has anyone else ever been killed in Lair of the Shadow Broker by having a car land on top of you during that first fight at the Azure Hotel? Most hilarious and unexpected death ever.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

SubponticatePoster posted:

Vanguard. Because in 1 both shotguns and biotics are hilariously broken (why yes I did fling a Krogan 100 ft into the air and then pick him off with a single shotgun blast) and in 2 they're :black101: and in 3 they're :black101::black101:

Vanguard is a one trick pony. Let him try it on a second playthrough if he wants.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Yeah, as fun as Vanguard may be (especially in ME2 and ME3), it has a steep learning curve and it's probably not the best class for your first playthrough.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
If nothing else, the Omega DLC is like a love letter to the first game's Citadel scenes because you spend 75% of it riding loving elevators.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Burning Mustache posted:

Yeah, as fun as Vanguard may be (especially in ME2 and ME3), it has a steep learning curve and it's probably not the best class for your first playthrough.

I played Vanguard on my first playthrough and I never noticed that Charge restores your shields until leveling it up to 6 in ME3.
Before that, I thought "Why would anyone want to use Nova when it drains all your shields?" and just used Pull -> Shoot on everything.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For ME 2 & 3, here's a rough guide to class selection:

-If you like being a tough guy who solves all his problems by shooting things (frequently in slow motion), pick Soldier

-If you like sniping and going for headshots (frequently while being invisible), pick Infiltrator

-If you like Space Magic (running the gamut from psychic mind bullets to techno fireballs), then Adept, Sentinel, and Engineer are all good options

-If you like charging things from across the battlefield and shooting them in the face with a shotgun (or, in 3, smashing the ground with your weird psychic fist), then Vanguard is for you.

Like other posters recommended, I'd save Vanguard for a subsequent playthrough. It's fun, but it's such a different play style from the other classes (cover and aiming become much less important) that it's better to try playing it the normal way first.

Soldier is probably the easiest way to play. Just use Adrenaline rush (bullet time) as much as possible and shoot poo poo till it dies, while taking cover to avoid dying yourself. There isn't a lot of nuance to it, at least not on low difficulties. It's repetitive I suppose, but if you like third-person shooters it's still fun.

The caster classes are kind of the same thing, except instead of just using bullet time all the time, you use your powers based on the situation, followed by your guns if you can't be bothered to wait for your powers to come back to kill something.

I'd probably start with a caster class. Sentinel or Engineer are good choices. If you find yourself thinking "I'm tired of waiting for fireballs to recharge, I'd rather be shooting things" or "I wish I could snipe more" or "I'd rather be charging" then try another class more suited to your play style for next time (or just start over if you're not too far in yet). The caster classes are pretty much the base Mass Effect experience, I think.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

reagan posted:

Vanguard is a one trick pony. Let him try it on a second playthrough if he wants.
I played ME1 on PC, I think I did an infiltrator. Then switched to PS3 for 2 and did vanguard and did just fine. By the time you get to 3 you're familiar enough with the mechanics that it doesn't really matter.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Daionus the 23rd posted:

Recently got the three games on Amazon for the 360. What are the reccommended DLCs?

1 - Bring down the sky should come with it
2 - everything
3 - everything except Omega.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Daionus the 23rd posted:

Sentinel it is.

I'd say Sentinel last. Infiltrator is the way to go for a first play through because in 2 and 3 the survivability is highest.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I bought each game in the series for $6 each. Thus, I have a really hard time convincing myself that a $15 DLC is worthwhile. Do they ever go on sale? I assume not.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bouchacha posted:

I bought each game in the series for $6 each. Thus, I have a really hard time convincing myself that a $15 DLC is worthwhile. Do they ever go on sale? I assume not.

Nope, and part of the reason you got them so cheap is the expectation that you will buy DLC.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Bouchacha posted:

Not to date. But Citadel is really, truly, holy poo poo just BUY it worthwhile.

E: It's the kind of DLC that will have you peeing your pants laughing at the in-jokes if you've played the trilogy. Or sniffling if you've made certain choices. Maybe both. It's first-rate work.

epenthesis fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 24, 2013

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm pretty sure some of the ME2 DLC was on sale for the xbox a year or two ago.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

epenthesis posted:

Not to date. But Citadel is really, truly, holy poo poo just BUY it worthwhile.

E: It's the kind of DLC that will have you peeing your pants laughing at the in-jokes if you've played the trilogy. Or sniffling if you've made certain choices. Maybe both. It's first-rate work.

This is a really good endorsement. I'm willing to be open minded so what would you recommend to me if I had a $30 budget?

I just finished ME2 and only had the Cerberus DLC which I thought was meh (although Zaeed is probably the coolest looking video character I've ever encountered). I thought ME1 had a much better atmosphere and overall 'epic' feel than ME2 but with definitely more boring combat. The main draw to the series, aside from ME2's vanguard combat, is the overall atmosphere and lore. I never dallied around any romances or cared about the people much though (hence why I was slightly underwhelmed by ME2's focus).

What would you guys recommend as DLC?

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
My favourite classes are usually of the "combat but with utility skills/spells" variety, so I love the Infiltrator, though I've only played 1 so far. I like the outdoor combat; it's nice to set up a shot where I can hit people with the rifle, and their return fire just hits the little rise I'm crouching behind.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bouchacha posted:

This is a really good endorsement. I'm willing to be open minded so what would you recommend to me if I had a $30 budget?

I just finished ME2 and only had the Cerberus DLC which I thought was meh (although Zaeed is probably the coolest looking video character I've ever encountered). I thought ME1 had a much better atmosphere and overall 'epic' feel than ME2 but with definitely more boring combat. The main draw to the series, aside from ME2's vanguard combat, is the overall atmosphere and lore. I never dallied around any romances or cared about the people much though (hence why I was slightly underwhelmed by ME2's focus).

What would you guys recommend as DLC?

With only $30, I'd say Citadel for ME3 and Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2. They're consistently ranked as the most popular.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

monster on a stick posted:

I'm pretty sure some of the ME2 DLC was on sale for the xbox a year or two ago.

Yeah, exactly once. Great deal, I grabbed all of them.

I would like Bioware to do the same thing with ME3's DLC but they seem resistant to the idea of taking my money.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ainsley McTree posted:

With only $30, I'd say Citadel for ME3 and Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2. They're consistently ranked as the most popular.

I'd say From Ashes is far more valuable at this point.

Get From Ashes and Leviathan. Then in a month or so when you have scrounged up 15 bux, get Citadel. Citadel is the epilogue to the story and works best if played after the game is over.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Everyone seems to love Lair of the Shadow Broker so much, but if you asked me to rate my first experience with it, I'd have to give it a zero. :iamafag:

Why did I make this awful joke?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'm morbidly curious - does anyone have a link to a video of the Citadel party if you don't invite anyone other than the mandatory guests? Traynor, EDI, Steve, James, and Joker I think?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Zoran posted:

Everyone seems to love Lair of the Shadow Broker so much, but if you asked me to rate my first experience with it, I'd have to give it a zero. :iamafag:

Why did I make this awful joke?

I don't get it :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I really should have said one and a half billion zeros.

• Locked thread