Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm sorry, but you never run a business like this. I mean in one day they axe half the programming and half of the talent? Who operates like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm sorry, but you never run a business like this. I mean in one day they axe half the programming and half of the talent? Who operates like this?

Hollywood.com.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I presume they wanted to announce these cancellations in phases, like on Sunday with the Loading Bar Live Call In Show or similar, but one leak caused everyone else to announce it.

I really do hope they can find another website to host them and allow them to continue their stellar podcasts. The fact that Leon would still do ACOCO and The Loading Bar will still do RTX shows how dedicated they are to their fans and their shows.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently Korey just did a Call-In Show which is being posted to the site, it sounds like it's about all of this stuff

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah, I was listening to some of it, he didn't sound pleased himself. He was trying to let people know that it was out of his hands etc.

The recording will be up soon enough hopefully and then we'll see just how bad things look.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sadly the thread title is now pretty accurate.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
The Live Call In Show Explanation is available for download. http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/spill-live-call-in-show-april-6-2013-1

quote:

There have been a lot of emotions and speculation surrounding recent events on Spill. I was waiting for a better time to discuss the matter but circumstances being what they are I had to do it sooner. Let me also add that there has been misinformation from all sides coming forth, making our situation appear extremely gloomy. That is not the case. In the short term it's not ideal, but in the long term it is very optimistic. I hope this helps. Thanks.

- Korey

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 24, 2013

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
You know I could see some kind of reckoning going down ever since Korey started talking about Hollywood.com problems. They oughta just join Rooster Teeth and don't look back.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Man, Korey was tearing up through the entire call-in show.

I really wonder if Roosterteeth can't have a movie division. They were talking about moving into a bigger building, so clearly things are looking up for them and no one on the site specializes in movies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So is Cyrus basically done on the site also? I'll have to download and listen to this later.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Nothing mentioned on his feeds, but we can only presume he'll be on reviews. Yep. :(

Listening to the Explanation now, man Korey is so upset over it all, he's actually in tears. I would not like to be that guy, having to lay off his friends.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PowerBeard posted:

Nothing mentioned on his feeds, but we can only presume he'll be on reviews. Yep. :(

Listening to the Explanation now, man Korey is so upset over it all, he's actually in tears. I would not like to be that guy, having to lay off his friends.
Yeah, especially Leon I'm sure. I don't get that firing at all.

It sucks because I think in one of the ACOCOs recently Leon mentioned he was going to quit his main job before he got fired from that too.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, especially Leon I'm sure. I don't get that firing at all.

It sucks because I think in one of the ACOCOs recently Leon mentioned he was going to quit his main job before he got fired from that too.

Yeah, he mentioned that because his new manager just doesn't like him. Leon was the only main cast member to not be a full time employee on Spill, and now we know the fate of that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Leon still has his old job, he just wants to be fired or take a severance package because the new manager is such a pain to deal with.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
A post on the Sidebar on the site just caught my eye:

quote:

"Just heard Billy was let go. No more BK Deluxe! *sob*"

This can't be happening. :(

[Live Edit]: FungusMonkey has posted up the changes going on. Basically everything is being put on haitus / cancelled.

http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/changes-on-spill

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 24, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Spill.com: Now with 100% More Korey

This is insane

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leon posted on his Facebook about this, and there's an interesting little tidbit that makes it sound like they're being given 6 months to turn the site around. I have no idea what that means, or if it implies that the site it going to cease to exist at that point if the Hollywood people don't get what they want, but this is the first I've heard.

http://api.ning.com/files/Ku2RDeU43Nl-4xvIBHb4RqsnejV3qRtJXDOD9FfwpfO0*tH1pWpCs3fLqx889RYai6whhLxL8S2yPoDDQ-r74LIJ*JCLxix8/leon_post.PNG

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Korey mentioned in The Explanation that he was trying those Email animations to try shake things up. It's a mess right now and no one is sure what's happening anymore.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FlamingLiberal posted:

Leon posted on his Facebook about this, and there's an interesting little tidbit that makes it sound like they're being given 6 months to turn the site around. I have no idea what that means, or if it implies that the site it going to cease to exist at that point if the Hollywood people don't get what they want, but this is the first I've heard.

http://api.ning.com/files/Ku2RDeU43Nl-4xvIBHb4RqsnejV3qRtJXDOD9FfwpfO0*tH1pWpCs3fLqx889RYai6whhLxL8S2yPoDDQ-r74LIJ*JCLxix8/leon_post.PNG

Jesus. What the hell has been going on at Spill that made Hollywood bring out the guillotine?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Star Man posted:

Jesus. What the hell has been going on at Spill that made Hollywood bring out the guillotine?
We may never know. It's hard to tell. But obviously they are really unhappy if they are massively gutting the site.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Korey was saying in The Explanation that he may have a Live Call In Show everyday to try deal with this, i.e. help people through it, explain the changes etc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Someone needs to ask him what Leon is talking about as far as '6 months'. That sounds pretty bad.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Well, from FungusMonkey's post it starts to become more clear. They were paying four people to see every major movie release and review them. Then they had to pay for the animators, pay for everyone's podcast appearances, paying Brian to post the movie news, and pay the Loading Bar for their gameplay videos. The site just wasn't making enough money to sustain that.

So now they're starting from scratch and trying something new. The site isn't dead but it's certainly going to be a lot more barebones. I'll remain cautiously optimistic to see what they do.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wait, they paid Brian to post that "blog" called news?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Yup...I'm pretty sure he makes a considerable portion of his living doing blog posts like that for several websites. Freelance writing! :pseudo:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PowerBeard posted:

[Live Edit]: FungusMonkey has posted up the changes going on. Basically everything is being put on haitus / cancelled.

http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/changes-on-spill
It sounds like virtually everyone is gone, based on this taken from the blog post:

quote:

It's covered in previous responses but basically we're down to only the essential people. The Spill Crew is still here (Korey, Co-Host, Cyrus, Leon) but some are in smaller roles for the time being. The behind the scenes team is down to Amanda (executive assistant / community manager / event coordinator / glue of the site), me (animator / web design / troubleshooting / moderator), and Tyler (animator / illustrator).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

At least Alan is still there because he doesn't get paid anyway.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's a shame that they didn't relieve Fungusmonkey for the total dick that he acts like :rolleyes:

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
Jesus christ. They took out Leon!? Why of all people, Leon!?

I cannot foresee spill surviving this. Korey is drat near out of his mind, Cyrus is completely gone from the site and Leon is gone. The content is axed ( which is retarded)and they're starting from scratch.

I mean the could easily lose the animations and try to focus more on user generated content since the community is actually pretty awesome. Hire cyrus and Leon back, because they built the drat thing and I love their take on things. The fact that Leon won't be in reviews bums me out

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ChristianDB posted:

Korey is drat near out of his mind

What? Korey doesn't want to fire Leon.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

Tae posted:

What? Korey doesn't want to fire Leon.

Didn't say that.

Korey, via ACOCO, pretty much told us that he's been seeing a therapist, barely sleeps and just starts crying for no reason. He's probably going through a midlife crisis and has been going hard since the site started. This was a few weeks ago when seemingly everything was under control too

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ChristianDB posted:

Korey, via ACOCO, pretty much told us that he's been seeing a therapist, barely sleeps and just starts crying for no reason.

That would be called depression. As in, crying for no reason at all and not being able to sleep at all are symptoms of major depression.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
No, during The Explanation, Korey was just so physically upset on having to do it all, and he still had more meetings that day. It wasn't randomly crying.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PowerBeard posted:

No, during The Explanation, Korey was just so physically upset on having to do it all, and he still had more meetings that day. It wasn't randomly crying.

I'm aware. I'm talking about how he does it without reason or warning off-mic--not on this particular call-in show.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Oh, sorry. I didn't actually know.

This sucks all round, the Fast & The Furious review might have been the last review before the shake up. They seem so happy in it.

[EDIT]: On an interesting side note, Kayla has made a FundRazr account for Jeff, Jason and Brian.

Here's the link, not sure what's the rules on post fundraising / kickstarter websites, so you can see if they make it to the $4,000:

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/fWFWb?psid=47b21031ce764aa0945a7e1d5412290f

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 24, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Korey is doing another live call-in show right now.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Spill.com: Stay the gently caress off of Facebook!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The latest Couple of Cold Ones still has Leon.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
It thought Leon was only staying on for the ACOCO's. The latest one is also discussing the new changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Only about 20 minutes in, but it seems like Spill got a favorable deal considering Hollywood.com has been doing major lay-offs in general.

• Locked thread