Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Turned my C14 into a streetfighter
:haw:

Goes back together from here. Won't be done until next weekend though at the earliest as I'm out of town from Weds-Fri.

Sweet rat bike mate, needs more cargo netting and matte black paint though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Finished the paint work, saddle and grips. I'll get better pics in daylight (the reflective checker precludes using a flash), but here she is:

Late Sunday night, I went to fire her up in the new look, and the starter button did nothing.

I figured NBD a wire got loose when changing out the grips. So last night I pulled apart the RH control unit and found this:

Crap. Already ordered another RH unit on eBay ~just in case~ so I took a stab at fixing that piece to work in the interim. Came up with this crackpot repair"

Got the unit back together, and I think it will hold. It was too late to re-install the control and actually test though, so I'll do that tonight when I finish wiring in some ~other treats~ heh.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

slidebite posted:

Turned my C14 into a streetfighter
:haw:

Goes back together from here. Won't be done until next weekend though at the earliest as I'm out of town from Weds-Fri.

That makes the headlights look MASSIVE.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Tamir Lenk posted:

Finished the paint work, saddle and grips. I'll get better pics in daylight (the reflective checker precludes using a flash), but here she is:

Reppin' the saints I see!

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Finally got around to buying a new battery (I'll use a tender next winter, I promise!) and installing it. Took my first ride of the season, now to park the bike for the rest of the week because of the oncoming weatherpocalypse. Maybe now is a good time to take advantage of my new perks at work and get some ceramic and powder coating done. :getin:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tamir Lenk posted:

It's from another timeline where the Burgundians beat Joan d'arc in battle and went on to global motorcycle supremacy.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

In the New Orleans area or just a big fan of the saints? If its the former I'll have to look out for this thing when I'm in town, lookin pretty boss

edit: nevermind this is a video game thing haha

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I cleaned, set the float height, and balanced my carbs today.

Oh wait, no that's what I would have done. Instead I dropped one of the float needles in the only spot you can't get to with a magnet/grabber, under the starter motor :downs:. So instead I spent half a day deciding what to do, and then 15 minutes taking off the side cover and pulling the starter motor. Find out that the person who was in here last sealed it with a hand cut paper gasket, which was then of course solidly attached to the cover. I think that took me an hour and a half of soaking in soapy water and scraping to get that crap off. Used some RTV high temp and I may get the OEM rubber gasket if this gives me any trouble. Seriously, this whole thing would have been under 30 minutes if they used the right gasket, and I swear they super glued it or something as it only stuck to the cover side.

Tomorrow I get to adjust the float height and balance, with rags covering the gaps around the starter.

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown
Pulled the fuel line from the carb on my 02 Yamaha WR426 to drain the tank (stale old 91 octane fuel in there, running like crap)
it proceeds to snap flush with the end of the flared fitting...
So it try to remove the fuel line from the petcock to trim it up and try to refit it
then it snaps at the petcock too...
15 minutes later and a visit to the closest bike shop and i have some new fuel line that has a smaller OD so the clamps don't fit anymore :(
heated the clamps up, wound them a little tighter and we're all good again
finally drained the tank and filled it with BP ultimate 98 octane and she's running like a champ!
sadly still a lot of either piston slap or chatter (not certain), I'm yet to pull the big clutch side cover to have a look if anything is slightly loose in there

In other news I'm looking at a CB250 on saturday for my first road legal bike and to use as a cafe racer conversion project :dance:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Tamir Lenk posted:

I've chased you all the way from the other thread to tell you that you need to show this to Volition if possible. Seriously.

It's just so cool :unsmith:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

BlackLaser posted:

Rode what is probably the twistiest road in FL. http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/163/Florida/The-Ozello-Trail-Ride.html

Took a lovely cell phone pic.

I was thinking of taking a day trip down there some weekend. How good was it, as far as road quality, traffic, cops etc. goes?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Swapped in a new ignition coil, HT lead, cap, and plug... to no avail.

I've been having problems with my '08 Stella (functionally identical to a Vespa PX150) for a while now. I'm cross-posting here from the scooter thread since, hey, bikes all have the same parts right? It's a 150cc reed-inducted 2-stroke with a Dell'orto Si20/20 carb, stock CDI. It is not stock (intake, exhaust, rejet) but the changes have been in place for years now.

A while ago it started cutting out at high RPM. If I tried to wring it out 'till it just wouldn't anymore, it would cut out pretty violently at the top despite being smooth everywhere else. A new plug fixed that.

After that, while riding at steady speed, part throttle, flat ground, it would sputter frequently but randomly. The first couple times it happened in heavy rain. Then it happened in the dry.

So I removed and disassembled and cleaned the carb and re-installed it on the suggestion of a friend. It was already clean.

Now the bike will run, but only briefly. It starts readily with the choke on, and after a few seconds, the RPMs settle. Pushing the choke back in at this point brings the RPMs back up, and then they settle again. Then the RPMs settle even further and it stalls. If, before it stalls, I give it some throttle (and hold it still), it will hold steady at that RPM for a few seconds and then just sputter out. Adjusting the idle mix and idle speed screws don't clear this up.

After a few attempts of the above the spark plug (brand new today) is looking a bit wet with some black oiliness.

I don't really even know where to go from here, really. Could I be having two problems: the sputtering from before, which is maybe ignition related, and which I can no longer see because the bike won't run long enough, and perhaps a new air/fuel related issue I introduced by loving up the carb clean/rebuild?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I vote failing coil.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Z3n posted:

I vote failing coil.

I've tried that - I swapped in another coil (and lead, and cap) today, no change. Also: spark looks white when I ground it to the head, which as I understand it is fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I've tried that - I swapped in another coil (and lead, and cap) today, no change. Also: spark looks white when I ground it to the head, which as I understand it is fine.

Whoops, missed that. If it happened after it rained, I'd be checking for bad connections/connectors. Battery is ok, terminalsare tight and gas is good?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

An off the wall guess is goofy CDI unit. How's the connection to its assorted bits?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Did a little more Rim Job action to my ride.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Swapped in a new ignition coil, HT lead, cap, and plug... to no avail.

I've been having problems with my '08 Stella (functionally identical to a Vespa PX150) for a while now. I'm cross-posting here from the scooter thread since, hey, bikes all have the same parts right? It's a 150cc reed-inducted 2-stroke with a Dell'orto Si20/20 carb, stock CDI. It is not stock (intake, exhaust, rejet) but the changes have been in place for years now.

A while ago it started cutting out at high RPM. If I tried to wring it out 'till it just wouldn't anymore, it would cut out pretty violently at the top despite being smooth everywhere else. A new plug fixed that.

After that, while riding at steady speed, part throttle, flat ground, it would sputter frequently but randomly. The first couple times it happened in heavy rain. Then it happened in the dry.

So I removed and disassembled and cleaned the carb and re-installed it on the suggestion of a friend. It was already clean.

Now the bike will run, but only briefly. It starts readily with the choke on, and after a few seconds, the RPMs settle. Pushing the choke back in at this point brings the RPMs back up, and then they settle again. Then the RPMs settle even further and it stalls. If, before it stalls, I give it some throttle (and hold it still), it will hold steady at that RPM for a few seconds and then just sputter out. Adjusting the idle mix and idle speed screws don't clear this up.

After a few attempts of the above the spark plug (brand new today) is looking a bit wet with some black oiliness.

I don't really even know where to go from here, really. Could I be having two problems: the sputtering from before, which is maybe ignition related, and which I can no longer see because the bike won't run long enough, and perhaps a new air/fuel related issue I introduced by loving up the carb clean/rebuild?

Have you checked the exhaust for excessive coking?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Tamir Lenk posted:

Did a little more Rim Job action to my ride.

Never in my life did I expect I would be drooling so hard over a purple bike. loving awesome work.

As for me, my road-trip to the Tail of the Dragon that I had been planning since December got delayed indefinitely due to extraordinary levels of family drama to such degrees that I have begun writing a book about it. I doubt very much I'll ever publish or do anything other than write it, and as a goon project it's doomed to fail before it really begins so I likely won't even finish writing it. If by some miracle I continue working on it beyond this week I'll probably promote it within this sub-forum, as it's taking form of something resembling Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, but with much less basis on Quality and quite a bit more basis on Probability. The guy that wrote Zen was a philosophy major and a university professor. I am an engineering major and a software developer. From there it's pretty much the same format of 'So I've noticed I have lived a pretty hosed up life and have started to journal about it, and since I spend so much time on bikes I use them in a lot of analogies to other poo poo'.

In between attempting to convince my mom to take professional recommendations to enter a mental health facility, moving my dad in with me, watching a dog get run-over in front of me ( I love dogs :( but I stuck around and watched the owners load him up into a jeep for an emergency vet, pretty sure he lived :) ), and a handful of other wild poo poo. Last week I found time to replace the PO installed 11v outputting Batteries Plus $20 special with a nice AGM Odyssey battery. The bike kicks over so well with it I actually started it the first time by total accident.

:) Nice the gauge reads a full 12v compared to the old death's door battery's 11v. Lets see if the starter will drain it down to 11v.
*half a tap on starter button* *vrOOOOOM!*
:monocle:

Immediately after that I finally got to work on tightening the steering bearing that had me hung up until I had time to acquire a 27mm wrench. That cured the last of the bike's wobbles. I didn't need to travel to North Carolina anymore, a trip around the block on the suspension upgrades, bearing work, and fresh (admittedly lovely Shinko) rubber was the most satisfied I've been weeks.

Bearings and batteries make for boring photos. Here's the family surrounding and comforting the dog that rested against my rear tire after the incident. I would have been on my bike, but I needed the car to haul a bunch of my dad's stuff from his place to mine after bailing him out.

It's been a pretty hosed up few weeks. I find that nothing helps take your mind off poo poo quite like the required focus of not getting run-over by several ton automobiles though. Two wheels are by far the cheapest therapy money can buy.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 23, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sorry to hear things have been lovely, hang in there :)

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Halo_4am posted:

Never in my life did I expect I would be drooling so hard over a purple bike. loving awesome work.

Come by sometime to check it out IRL - since you're in/near Chicago.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
> What did you do on your ride today?

115mph, like whoa. I'll give my bike the beans a couple times a day when the highway is all clear, but through some alignment of the stars, I had a 3 mile stretch to myself on my commute this morning, so I held on for a bit longer than usual. It's officially the fastest speed I've ever reached, and I was drenched in adrenaline for the rest of the boring ride to campus.

I can't imagine what 150+ feels like (yet). Not that I'd ever do this anywhere but on a track or an uber deserted road in the middle of nowhere. Even holding it at 115 brought me to the next batch of exits, onramps, and traffic pretty quickly.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Don't let the newbies read that, it's a pretty 'squiddly gixxer brah mentality' bro.

About the only fun I have other than the backroads are highway onramps/interchanges now. Usually I just take them at a decent lean, but the other day I was going thru a long left hander followed by about 1/2 mile straight to a bridge. I took the turn at the usual 80 or so but this time I cranked it full WOT and went up 2 gears coming out of the turn.

Trying to hold on as I moved myself and the bike back upright I decided I really, really need to get to a track ASAP.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 23, 2013

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Right, er, that was a hypothetical post of what I imagine I would feel like had I exceeded the speed limit.

edit: That's how I am. After a trackday, I'm good with 0% dong riding for a month or two, but I can tell when the itch is looking for a scratch. I'll be at Jennings in a couple weeks :buddy:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I ride like an old lady around town, basically never going above 80 or so (cruising speed on the interstate here). Haven't been to the track in almost a year and was about the same for the mountains. Decided to take a trip up to said mountains today and at one point I made a (legal!) pass on a backstretch of country road. Dropped down to second and just wound the bike out through 5th :feelsgood:

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

-Inu- posted:

I ride like an old lady around town, basically never going above 80 or so (cruising speed on the interstate here). Haven't been to the track in almost a year and was about the same for the mountains. Decided to take a trip up to said mountains today and at one point I made a (legal!) pass on a backstretch of country road. Dropped down to second and just wound the bike out through 5th :feelsgood:

So, still under 80? :v:

edit: thought you were still on the 250, whoops

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Halo_4am posted:

It's been a pretty hosed up few weeks. I find that nothing helps take your mind off poo poo quite like the required focus of not getting run-over by several ton automobiles though. Two wheels are by far the cheapest therapy money can buy.

Here here. Lost my truck, and my girlfriend in the same week. The following week was spent on 2 wheels, in the rain every day. Came home yesterday to my ceiling collapsed due to a water leak.
I just shut off the water and wend back out to ride in the rain.

Therapists offices will never have motorcycle parking.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Here here. Lost my truck, and my girlfriend in the same week. The following week was spent on 2 wheels, in the rain every day. Came home yesterday to my ceiling collapsed due to a water leak.
I just shut off the water and wend back out to ride in the rain.

Therapists offices will never have motorcycle parking.

On the brightside of losing the girlfriend - now you can spend all your money on bieks and hook up with the girls that were interested before but you couldn't do anything due to the relationship.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

On the brightside of losing the girlfriend - now you can spend all your money on bieks

To be completely honest... I think that's why I'm once again single.
I've got a box with 18 vehicular titles in it. Most of which are motorcycles. It doesn't get much more bachelor than that.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Until you find a girl that is into motorcycles, It's Just Not Worth It. :sax:

I'd be single if it weren't for Whereisnovember, mainly because I realized a long time ago that I need somebody that shares all my stupid nerdy aspie hobbies with me or I feel like I'm just a babysitter for ennui.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

My dad accused me of compensating for my lovely sex life with motorcycles. The old man is almost certainly right. It's just kind of like Xovaan said, until I find a girl I find attractive that is into climbing or motorcycles I'm probably gonna stay single and just spend money on things I find fun.

Also, on the squidward side of things, the other day I raced some dude on a Hayabusa down the highway. My bike maxes out at around 135, and this dude was easily pulling past me in the straights with no cars. He was so fast! Crazy though. No helmet for him, and we came close to colliding at a couple points because we would pick different routes through the traffic we were cutting through. While it was awesome fun weaving around cars at a 60-70 speed differential there were some close calls and I kinda had to sit my own dumb rear end down after I got home and say "no more of that poo poo". There are so many ways to enjoy riding without courting the eventuality of becoming road paste if I were to keep acting like that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dropped my bikini fairing at the panel shop. $380 to fix and paint :qq: stupid kawasaki and their unicorn paint. The guy seemed like an absolute grand-master-sage though, he had three near-new ducatis and an MV f4 just chilling out in his workshop from morons with more money than sense having dropped them in their driveway.

I took the bike to work to spite fate. Coming home I decided to overtake a bunch of crawling cars using a painted median (which for some reason also has cats-eyes) and aimed for a certain gap. I knew it would be damp on the median and I knew I was taking a deliberate, calculated, needless risk. Sure enough I hit a cats-eye and the bike slipped, then got pretty dramatically out of shape on the white paint before recovering traction and slotting me neatly into the exact gap I had aimed for. Must have gotten a few people tut-tutting but I felt like a master.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

My dad accused me of compensating for my lovely sex life with motorcycles. The old man is almost certainly right. It's just kind of like Xovaan said, until I find a girl I find attractive that is into climbing or motorcycles I'm probably gonna stay single and just spend money on things I find fun.

Also, on the squidward side of things, the other day I raced some dude on a Hayabusa down the highway. My bike maxes out at around 135, and this dude was easily pulling past me in the straights with no cars. He was so fast! Crazy though. No helmet for him, and we came close to colliding at a couple points because we would pick different routes through the traffic we were cutting through. While it was awesome fun weaving around cars at a 60-70 speed differential there were some close calls and I kinda had to sit my own dumb rear end down after I got home and say "no more of that poo poo". There are so many ways to enjoy riding without courting the eventuality of becoming road paste if I were to keep acting like that.

I went on a ride with a dude in his 70's with a CBR1000RR and a kid my age with a CBR600F4i that was a newer rider - the old dude and I took it super easy and just cruised behind the F4i (twisties)... until the ride came to an end and it was just the two of us left. Old man was balls-rear end crazy and we had a shitload of fun the rest of the way home.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

AncientTV posted:

I was thinking of taking a day trip down there some weekend. How good was it, as far as road quality, traffic, cops etc. goes?

It has the most turns in a 10 mile ride I have found in FL so far. Most rides I've been on are a couple miles of boring straight with a few sweepers. Ozello has a much better variety of turns. Decreasing radius etc. You really don't have to go too fast to enjoy it. Road is in pretty good shape for the environment it's in. I'm sure it floods sometimes. Be careful of sand on the road. I've been out there 3 times this year and the traffic has been light midday on a Saturday, and not one cop. Ride starts off at this gas station and dead ends in the gulf. http://bit.ly/11hniOH

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Might head down there tomorrow, thanks! Hopefully I can find some roads between Jax and there that are somewhat decent.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I cleaned it, and noticed two unpleasant surprises.

Sometime last week my boot chewed up my decals. This is pre cleaning, it looks a little bit better now, but the decals are still maimed. :sigh:

Another thing I noticed is that the loving shop that did my tires didn't bother to use rim protectors on my front rim. I have no idea how I didn't notice it before, but there's no way anything else made those marks. Do I have any recourse or am I screwed? I had them changed 1 month ago today. God dammit.

M42 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 26, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nope, no recourse. Most shops have a "we're not liable for scratches on your rims" policy anyways, due to dickbags claiming they scratched them when they hadnt.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I had the same thing happen, and while I was kinda pissed it was tempered by the fact that literally nobody will ever notice other than myself.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
'Prepped' the bike for my first track day tomorrow. Removed the instrument cluster and front fairing and loaded it into the back of a pickup. Also installed some wheels / tires. Of course, I can't remember what they are, but when I do, I'll update this post. Bridgestone R10 120/70 on the front and BT-003 RS's 160/60 on the rear. Going to tape the rear lights tomorrow at the track. Hoping for an awesome day!

XYLOPAGUS fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Have a great time! Don't go out when you're feeling tired - take a session off. You'll get plenty of track time.