Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
You know between how terrible Ultimate Spider-Man is and how great that theme song is it's a real tragedy that Spectacular Spider-Man is the only Spider-Man show not on Netflix. Especially since I only caught a handful of episodes while it was actually airing and would love to sit down and go through the whole series from the beginning this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's not? I remember seeing it on Instant not too long ago.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

It's not? I remember seeing it on Instant not too long ago.

Maybe they had it before and now they don't? I just double-checked again and they've got the 90s series, the 80s series, the 60s series, Amazing Friends, Unlimited, the MTV one, and Ultimate, but not Spectacular.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Sorry the mobile link/IGN but here's the Flashpoint trailer:

http://m.ign.com/videos/2013/05/23/justice-league-the-flashpoint-paradox-trailer-debut

I know they're not working with the greatest source materiel, but nothing in this (short, I guess)trailer really excites me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There was some point that Spectacular was on Netflix, but it's gone now for some reason.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SlothfulCobra posted:

You shut your drat whore mouth. Unlimited Spider-Man was pretty drat neat. It was weird as hell, sure, but it was still good.

Come on now. Come the gently caress on. Let's get serious here. It was awful.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Semper Fudge posted:

The animation in Avengers Assemble is unreal in how bad it is. I seriously cannot believe a cartoon can look like this in 2013.

10-to-1 they'll justify it as being a "throwback" to the 'cheap' animation of the 60s serials.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

I know they're not working with the greatest source materiel, but nothing in this (short, I guess)trailer really excites me.
Yeah, that was pretty unexciting. At least they kept the scene where DadBats shocks Barry on the rooftop. Also, Reverse Flash is one chunky monkey.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm more disturbed with how massive Dadbats' lips and chin are. Them keeping the rooftop scene is cool though, I hope they do the whole thing too and not just him getting his powers back right away.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kelp Plankton posted:

Oh sure, you guys post all the other Spiderman themes but not Spectacular Spiderman's. :colbert:
We're going to pretend Spider-Man Unlimited didn't exist. Though it reminds me a lot of the SNES/Genesis Spiderman games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ-oawfyvn4

I still think that one's super catchy, even if the show got canceled prematurely. What is it about Spiderman and catchy themesongs?

Hell, Ultimate Spiderman not having a themesong is probably it's biggest mistake one of many major mistakes it's made.

I award this Best Theme out of those posted in the thread. By far.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Opposing Farce posted:

You know between how terrible Ultimate Spider-Man is and how great that theme song is it's a real tragedy that Spectacular Spider-Man is the only Spider-Man show not on Netflix. Especially since I only caught a handful of episodes while it was actually airing and would love to sit down and go through the whole series from the beginning this time.

On the bright side, I'm pretty sure most of it is on youtube.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

On the bright side, I'm pretty sure most of it is on youtube.

Yeah, there's definitely ways to watch it but it would've been nice to have it readily available in high quality.

I've been thinking about it a bit, though, and are any of the non-Spectacular Spider-Man series actually genuinely good? The 60s stuff is fun and charming in that great campy sort of way, and from what I remember of it the 90s series was decent for what it was, but while I can't say I've seen every Spider-Man show ever I've seen enough bits and pieces of most of them to have the impression that they mostly range from awful to mediocre and Spectacular seems to be the only one that comes highly recommended without any major caveats. Does Spider-Man just have a bad track record when it comes to cartoons?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, there's definitely ways to watch it but it would've been nice to have it readily available in high quality.

I've been thinking about it a bit, though, and are any of the non-Spectacular Spider-Man series actually genuinely good? The 60s stuff is fun and charming in that great campy sort of way, and from what I remember of it the 90s series was decent for what it was, but while I can't say I've seen every Spider-Man show ever I've seen enough bits and pieces of most of them to have the impression that they mostly range from awful to mediocre and Spectacular seems to be the only one that comes highly recommended without any major caveats. Does Spider-Man just have a bad track record when it comes to cartoons?

Marvel has a very bad track record when it comes to cartoons, but only compared to post-BTAS DC. Only a few Spider-man cartoons are genuinely unwatchably bad, but the rest are all just clearly kid's shows with no ambition beyond selling you poo poo, and unimpressive animation. Spectacular is the sole exception, from what I've heard.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Spider-Man doesn't have a good track record for TV series. They all have aged horribly. I can only imagine how horrible Ultimate Spider-Man will age when the kids of today grow up.

It is kind of funny seeing the 90s Spider-Man director or whatever get interviewed on comic book sites. He seriously thinks that just because his series is the longest running Spidey series, it is the best.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Spider-Man doesn't have a good track record for TV series. They all have aged horribly. I can only imagine how horrible Ultimate Spider-Man will age when the kids of today grow up.

Spectacular is still as good as it was, although the early cancellation does mean it ends on an incredible downer. I don't think it's going to age that badly when it's as old as, say, 90s Spider-Man. Which not only aged badly, but was never that good to begin with.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Fuego Fish posted:

Spectacular is still as good as it was, although the early cancellation does mean it ends on an incredible downer.

Well at least Greg Weisman was able to immediately move on to Young Justice... which also got cancelled after two seasons :smith:

I never thought I'd say this, but god I hope that Star Wars cartoon has a long run.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Curious: Are kids really as stupid as jeph leob thinks? If so, then how the gently caress did shows like Batman TAS and the 90s xmen show last for so long?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 26, 2013

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well at least Greg Weisman was able to immediately move on to Young Justice... which also got cancelled after two seasons :smith:

I never thought I'd say this, but god I hope that Star Wars cartoon has a long run.

Which one? Clone Wars? Because it's cancelled too. Though the same team are doing a show about the early days of the Rebellion now, mostly so Disney can put it on one of their stations, and not be stuck dealing with Cartoon Network.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Blackest Goon posted:

Curious: Are kids really as stupid as jeph leob thinks? If so, then how the gently caress did shows like Batman TAS and the 90s xmen show last for so long?

It was a different world in the 90s, honestly. The internet was nascent to most people and morning junk food cartoons were still a thing. Couple that with syndication deals for afternoon time slots and first run shows on Saturdays and it seems like it was a pretty profitable racket for TV advertisers. Hell B:TAS was popular/acclaimed enough to get prime time premieres on Fox once or twice.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

404GoonNotFound posted:

Show got canceled for good reason though. I mean I have no idea how much is on which side of the production fence but that show was a total mess.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gaz-L posted:

Which one? Clone Wars? Because it's cancelled too. Though the same team are doing a show about the early days of the Rebellion now, mostly so Disney can put it on one of their stations, and not be stuck dealing with Cartoon Network.

Yeah, and he's being brought in to run that new one. As far as I know he wasn't involved with Clone Wars at all.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Kids are never as stupid as anyone over the age of 20 thinks. They'll watch crap sure but a good show will pay you back later, BTAS made kids Batman marks for life.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Loeb should ask his son what makes a good cartoon.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sometimes you're my favorite bobkatt, sometimes you're the best.

SirDan3k posted:

Kids are never as stupid as anyone over the age of 20 thinks. They'll watch crap sure but a good show will pay you back later, BTAS made kids Batman marks for life.
Adults have this issue (in my experience) where ideas and concepts they take for granted don't register with kids at all. It doesn't mean their brains don't work, it means their perspective is different, but no one seems to get that. I mean I'm 31 and I watch my relatives talk to their kids and it's baffling as gently caress to me.

And yeah BTAS did more to sell me on Batman than anything before or after ever possibly could. Superman's TAS even more so. But I watched that as an adult, so it probably doesn't count.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Loeb should ask his son what makes a good cartoon.

I try to avoid dead kid talk concerning leob, but a blind dude could see he stopped giving a poo poo about his career after his kid died :(

I think Marvel just has him around because they feel sorry for him

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Spiderdrake posted:

Show got canceled for good reason though. I mean I have no idea how much is on which side of the production fence but that show was a total mess.
:getout:

Young Justice was a really good show, but it had the wrong timeslot and Cartoon Network seemed pretty much bound and determined to kill it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chaltab posted:

:getout:

Young Justice was a really good show, but it had the wrong timeslot and Cartoon Network seemed pretty much bound and determined to kill it.
I mean, you can go back and read me defending the show earlier in the thread since I really liked it too, but it had horrible hiatus problems (like I said, stemming from where I don't know) and the entire second season's plot is a tragic pile of dangling threads. The finale had actively bad, groan worthy moments.

I'm not placing blame but the show lost it and needed to end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

A total boring mess, at that. Even 90s Spider-man was watchably dumb. Young Justice was just... a sleep aid.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean, you can go back and read me defending the show earlier in the thread since I really liked it too, but it had horrible hiatus problems (like I said, stemming from where I don't know) and the entire second season's plot is a tragic pile of dangling threads. The finale had actively bad, groan worthy moments.

I'm not placing blame but the show lost it and needed to end.
It had dangling threads because it got cancelled. :psyduck:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So how many more episodes do you think, at the going rate of introduction versus resolution of plot ideas, it would take to conclude everything in Young Justice? Because my feeling at the was they couldn't write a climax to save their lives and as such the answer is "infinite".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

An infinite repetition of the Light talking about how everything went according to plan.

Perhaps at infinity + 1 episodes the Light could talk about how the superheroes caused a minor inconvenience.

I enjoyed Young Justice and all but yikes the Light's shtick of how literally everything went according to plan got old pretty fast.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Spiderdrake posted:

Because my feeling at the was they couldn't write a climax to save their lives

Did you not actually watch the show? Even the first season? Because the first season finale was really climatic. Especially the penultimate episode and its bait-and-switch reveals. It was the perfect "oh snap" moment.

I'm betting you probably didn't actually watch the show because thinking back on it, I'm pretty sure that things were resolved at a reasonable and pleasant pace, unlike the textbook example of "terrible plotting" that is :lost:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fuego Fish posted:

Did you not actually watch the show? Even the first season?
I dropped an 'end' in editing, it should read "my feeling at the end is they couldn't..." not that they never could.

My point is the wheels fell off, not that it was never good, but if your argument is "you never watched this show you're discussing" you probably don't care anyway since you just wanna rationalize or something.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

So how many more episodes do you think, at the going rate of introduction versus resolution of plot ideas, it would take to conclude everything in Young Justice? Because my feeling at the was they couldn't write a climax to save their lives and as such the answer is "infinite".
What exactly was left unresolved? Aside from the 'next season' hooks that the cancellation rendered useless?

quote:

An infinite repetition of the Light talking about how everything went according to plan.

Perhaps at infinity + 1 episodes the Light could talk about how the superheroes caused a minor inconvenience.

I enjoyed Young Justice and all but yikes the Light's shtick of how literally everything went according to plan got old pretty fast.
The Team had their plans go right a bunch, too, though. For every objective the Light accomplished, the Team prevented two others. Thinks like the sharing of secrets in season one and the loyalties of Aqualad in season two visibly caught the Light off guard. Everything didn't go according to plan.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The time skip was not a good idea and as a result, the characters and relationships from the first season were all barely touched in favor of introducing waaaay too many characters and subplots that were left alone for episodes at a time.

And come on, the end of the show is pretty much the Light going "we ended up with what we wanted as planned". It definitely got to be a running joke when a lot of episodes ended that way.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Codependent Poster posted:

The time skip was not a good idea and as a result, the characters and relationships from the first season were all barely touched in favor of introducing waaaay too many characters and subplots that were left alone for episodes at a time.

And come on, the end of the show is pretty much the Light going "we ended up with what we wanted as planned". It definitely got to be a running joke when a lot of episodes ended that way.

Yeah, I wasn't completely sold on the first season but I thought it became stronger towards the end. The second season just crumbled under the weight of its cast and I ended up dropping it with one of the hiatuses.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hey, all the stuff skipped over in the time skip will be explained in the video ga-Pffthahahahah I can't finish that sentence.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The worst thing about all the new characters in season 2 was the fact that the only one who got any spotlight was Blue Beetle (and maybe Impulse). Meanwhile the first season characters are in the background for most episodes.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Don't forget the clone of a character they forgot about. Did he die? Did the other clone die?

Was the plan all along that they'd bring in a succession of aliens they can't deal with to deal with the last aliens they couldn't deal with? What was the plan?

Like the point of attacking Rimbor was to antagonize Mongul into attacking the Earth with his super space ship and then through various confusing means they eventually get ahold of the space ship then Vandal drives it to Darkseid's house to sign a deal while a character who never did anything but act goofy looks on approvingly? So what was the plan here? Did they need the space ship? Did Darkseid want the space ship? Did they ever actually say Intergang was a front for the light or were we just supposed to assume that at the end?

Chaltab posted:

What exactly was left unresolved? Aside from the 'next season' hooks that the cancellation rendered useless?
What are you defining as "season hooks"? Obviously Darkseid. What else?

Are you saying every bit of relationship conflict and uncovered history from the time skip was effectively tied up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The plan was to get War World, yes. And Darkseid was the benefactor. So yes, apparently the Light's plan was to get Earth noticed and get the Justice League off planet for trial, get a deal with the Reach so the Green Lantern Corps couldn't interfere, draw Mogul and War World to Earth, then take control of War World and break the deal with the Reach.

• Locked thread