Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

wtftastic posted:

And HM Dashruude is insanely hard compared to SM- maybe its because I'm not in full 72s yet, but man.

It was very hard when we first did it but has become much easier after the dps are geared up. The way it's designed, with a high minimal baseline to be able to kill the respawning adds in time, makes incremental dps improvements very noticeable.

We used to have a lot of trouble with HM Thrasher too but another guild helpfully pointed out that you don't actually need to use the Roar mechanic to remove the invulnerability shields on the sniper adds, they drop as soon as someone gets into melee range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Promethium posted:

It was very hard when we first did it but has become much easier after the dps are geared up. The way it's designed, with a high minimal baseline to be able to kill the respawning adds in time, makes incremental dps improvements very noticeable.

We used to have a lot of trouble with HM Thrasher too but another guild helpfully pointed out that you don't actually need to use the Roar mechanic to remove the invulnerability shields on the sniper adds, they drop as soon as someone gets into melee range.

Can you still pull them?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

Can you still pull them?

According to a post on dulfy.net they cannot be pulled (or leaped to) while the shields are still up. There's a non-shielded demolitionist off to a side that can be used to jump up provided there's no line of sight wonkiness, but we leave an offtank+healer up there full time.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Promethium posted:

O_o Are you sure? Maybe it's different between 8 and 16 man but I swear in 16-man HM, we've wiped because the offtank taunted the boss too early and so the shields didn't get dropped by Roar. And melee were already up trying to kill the snipers.

kmzh fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 23, 2013

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

kmzh posted:

O_o Are you sure? Maybe it's different between 8 and 16 man but I swear in 16-man HM, we've wiped because the offtank taunted the boss too early and so the shields didn't get dropped by Roar. And melee were already up trying to kill the snipers.

I looked around for a video of this strategy and this one has a topside tank PoV that shows the shield typically dropping as soon as the top team starts hitting the snipers. It is 8-man though, I haven't any experience with 16.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Also, did Boarding Party for the first time today. That flashpoint is freaking fun. Not like Manalorian Raiders or Cademimu which always felt off to me.

Although at one point Malgus or Phennif mention that there were 3 starforges and I only know of two - the Foundry in TOR and the Star Forge itself from the KotOR games. But they mention a third that was used to 'xenoform planets' not sure if that really needed spoiling but there you go, if anyone knows what the hell is going on there I'd love to know.

e: I thought this was neat, someone found/made hi-res renders of all the (standard) lightsaber hilts in the game:

http://imgur.com/5G9JJ

Now I have to find one in-game that matches the seventh one in the top row. :neckbeard:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 23, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'd really like to see Terror From Beyond, as the last Op I did was Explosive Conflict.

I wish we could get enough goon interest on Prophecy of the Five on either side to run it. :( Seems we just don't have the presence there.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I can't get over how much more fun the trooper storyline is than the Sith Warrior. How do specs work in this game? Do you pretty much put all the points in the tree you want?

Place Ad Here
Mar 15, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

So FYI, apparently if you have a full ops group and queue it with the operations mode set to hard 8 person the GF ops will be hard mode.

In other news Operator IX is a bitch on HM. So hard to hold threat as a sin without using your aoes.
Not really, it requires paying attention.
Shock, trash, pull, taunt, force lighting, or just pay attention to where spheres are.

wtftastic posted:

That whole entire operation was a bitch. I don't even want to imagine what Kephess and the giant beast thing at the end are like.

They are easy like they were at 50, that operation was not hard, there are minor mechanic changes that almost no extra damage or no extra damage.

wtftastic posted:

Story mode is pretty much not a big deal up until Terror (unless you wipe to data cores!)and even the first phase of that final fight isn't too bad. There's just so much more mechanically going on, and so much more poo poo to contend with.

And HM Dashruude is insanely hard compared to SM- maybe its because I'm not in full 72s yet, but man.
Terror is boring and easy, there is nothing hard about it, you sit there and heal and dps irregularities.

You don't need 72s to do anything. I've healed, tanked, and dpsed HM SV in 63/66/69s. You do not need the gear a raid drops to clear a raid. That is not how this game is designed. It is all about knowing what abilities to cast and when. You AoE when you need to heal up a cluster of people and the tank is not in a situation where they will die. Innervate/bubble are your primary heals. Dark Heal should never ever be used, dark infusion should only be used if you need to heal the tank and bubble/innervate are down. Resurgance should always be used prior to your AoE and if possible before innervate. You use consumption when you have stacks from innervate and use it when there is a downtime in a fight, most that are healing intensive have down time. Also your knockback should be used before your AoE as a quick AoE heal since it is instant. Force barrier should also be used to remove stacks of consumption if you ever hit 4 stacks and a bubble should be on you as much as possible to counteract the consumption health loss.

This is a good thread to refer to http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-1199.html

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

KittyEmpress posted:

So, apparently people are getting suspensions for sticking CM +41 stat crystals into legacy gear to send off to alts on their legacy, due to the fact that it bypasses the Collections system and allows them to start making infinite on every character without paying the Cartel Coin cost for unlocking the collection for their account.

Might want to avoid doing that, guys.

As an update Bioware have clarified that transferring the cartel market crystals with legacy items is perfectly fine:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6346255#post6346255

There was a way to use duplicated crystals to generate infinite credits prior to a recent patch, and they were suspending some players who used that exploit. In doing so they mistakenly marked a number of accounts who had duplicated crystals without using them for the exploit, and those suspensions have now been reversed.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Is the difficulty level around Taris still insanely curved like it was at launch? I'm going in at level 32 with all level appropriate gear on an immortal juggernaut and just getting my face stomped on simple ratghoul packs. I remember it being ball crushingly difficult on my imp agent but I figured it was more due to being a squishy class, but I'm taking the same damage as a tank here.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How long is Voss if you do the Bonus Series?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Givin posted:

Is the difficulty level around Taris still insanely curved like it was at launch? I'm going in at level 32 with all level appropriate gear on an immortal juggernaut and just getting my face stomped on simple ratghoul packs. I remember it being ball crushingly difficult on my imp agent but I figured it was more due to being a squishy class, but I'm taking the same damage as a tank here.

I'm stuck on Alderaan as a level 30 Covert Operative with the same problem. The normal mobs are no problem (except for that they are suddenly getting Kaliyo down to 25% health after a normal 3x mob pack), but my only two quests involve killing an elite that can somehow kill me and my companion without getting below 25% health. No idea what the problem is, everything up until this point was a breeze.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Red Crown posted:

I can't get over how much more fun the trooper storyline is than the Sith Warrior. How do specs work in this game? Do you pretty much put all the points in the tree you want?

Every ingle class story I've tried has been pretty awesome. None of them are 'bad', they just might not really 'click' for you. Trooper gets flack for being all 'hoorah!' but if the idea of being Space Special Forces is something that sounds neat to you, it comes across pretty awesome. Likewise the Consular storyline is a bit slower than others, but it's more an exploration into what the Force is and all that mysticism type stuff. I dug it.

Meanwhile the Sith Warrior story is all about how these batshit Sith are running the Empire into the ground and you have to find some loving way to fix things. Oh, also the nature and acquisition of power and honor/loyalty.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

WarLocke posted:

I thought this was neat, someone found/made hi-res renders of all the (standard) lightsaber hilts in the game:

http://imgur.com/5G9JJ

Now I have to find one in-game that matches the seventh one in the top row. :neckbeard:

That is really cool. The good news for you is that the one you want isn't too hard to find on the GTN. There might be alignment restrictions to worry about, but there might also be more than one saber that uses that model. My sentinel used a pair of those for a while.

A lot of them are available from the PVP weapons vendor on the fleet. A couple of my favorites are the third and fifth in the middle row. One has an extra-long handle which makes my guardian look like a samurai, and the other looks like it's made of wood - plus Orgus Din uses it.

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Every ingle class story I've tried has been pretty awesome. None of them are 'bad', they just might not really 'click' for you. Trooper gets flack for being all 'hoorah!' but if the idea of being Space Special Forces is something that sounds neat to you, it comes across pretty awesome. Likewise the Consular storyline is a bit slower than others, but it's more an exploration into what the Force is and all that mysticism type stuff. I dug it.

Meanwhile the Sith Warrior story is all about how these batshit Sith are running the Empire into the ground and you have to find some loving way to fix things. Oh, also the nature and acquisition of power and honor/loyalty.

I enjoyed the Bounty Hunter story, when I get a chance to sit down and start playing again (curse you work!). I am considering doing it again because I enjoyed the story, although I was thinking about the inquisitor as well, because I want to do a healer this time around. Although for the life of me I cannot do anything dark sided in any of my characters, Imp or Republic.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still disappointed they wasted David Hayter on the Jedi Knight questline. Stupid space opera.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Sith Warrior story - it's just that it's a much slower burning tale than the Trooper, which is basically a Tom Clancy novel starring FemShep, so I call it more "fun".

I really need to get it together and stick to one character to 50, right? You get a lot of leveling bonuses for your alts if you stick it through?

Serf
May 5, 2011

So I quit SWTOR about a year ago, and now that it's FTP and all, I decided to give it another spin. It sucks having a lot of the cooler species locked, but when I heard that you can buy them off the GTN, I headed over with my 35 Trooper and snagged a couple of species unlocks. My question is: is your Legacy account-wide? Because I was on Prophecy of the Five, but I have no interest in PvP, so I went over to Jedi Covenant, and found that my unlocks don't work there. Will the Legacy stuff unlock after I reach 10 on my new Smuggler, or did I just waste all those credits on a server I have no desire to play on?

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Serf posted:

So I quit SWTOR about a year ago, and now that it's FTP and all, I decided to give it another spin. It sucks having a lot of the cooler species locked, but when I heard that you can buy them off the GTN, I headed over with my 35 Trooper and snagged a couple of species unlocks. My question is: is your Legacy account-wide? Because I was on Prophecy of the Five, but I have no interest in PvP, so I went over to Jedi Covenant, and found that my unlocks don't work there. Will the Legacy stuff unlock after I reach 10 on my new Smuggler, or did I just waste all those credits on a server I have no desire to play on?

`Legacy is server-wide only. So, yeah =X

VonLudwig
Apr 22, 2008
Legacy is server based, unfortunately. The good news for you is that when server transfers open up next month with 2.2, your legacy will transfer over with a character. The way legacy transfers have worked in the past is that the two legacies merge and the higher level one takes priority, so you should be keeping the unlocks you got on Pot5 if you transfer a character from it to JC. The bad news is that until 2.2, no, you won't have those unlocks unless you buy them again on the new server. The game's server architecture and backend is becoming a bit notorious, and while the dev team is obviously doing their best to untangle the horrible mess they were left with and are making new things like the collections system and cartel unlocks account wide, all the older stuff tied to legacy is still server only.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Red Crown posted:

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Sith Warrior story - it's just that it's a much slower burning tale than the Trooper, which is basically a Tom Clancy novel starring FemShep, so I call it more "fun".

I really need to get it together and stick to one character to 50, right? You get a lot of leveling bonuses for your alts if you stick it through?

Not a 'lot' really. You get a legacy move which range from great (Sith Warrior) to terrible (Trooper) to be used during your Heroic Moment, and 10 presence for each companion whose affection is maxed and has had every conversation finished.

50 presence is nice though - I have a Trooper and Warrior at max, and 100 presence lets me pretty much forget to equip my companions without much worry.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Serf posted:

Next patch is supposed to have transfers.

And there is minimal pvp on POT5.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Hit 48 today and did my first Directive 7 run, man is that last fight fun. So much running around, and all sorts of poo poo happening at once. It was tough as an arsenal merc since so many abilities are channeled, but I had a blast doing it with pubs. Hope the rest of them are this much fun.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

KittyEmpress posted:

Not a 'lot' really. You get a legacy move which range from great (Sith Warrior) to terrible (Trooper) to be used during your Heroic Moment, and 10 presence for each companion whose affection is maxed and has had every conversation finished.

50 presence is nice though - I have a Trooper and Warrior at max, and 100 presence lets me pretty much forget to equip my companions without much worry.

You must not have played femtrooper. It makes a huge difference having Jennifer Hale going all Commander Sheperd, saving all the loose writing.

Edit: Oops, reading comprehension. Thanks Warlocke
vvvvvvvvv

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 24, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tezzeract posted:

You must not have played femtrooper. It makes a huge difference having Jennifer Hale going all Commander Sheperd, saving all the loose writing.

He was talking about the special legacy move unlocks (Warrior gives Force Choke, Trooper is a grenade or something?) not the storyline, but I agree that femtrooper is best simply because of Hale's VA.

e: Everyone should level a Smuggler to 50. That unlocks the crotch kick for all your characters. :quagmire:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

WarLocke posted:

He was talking about the special legacy move unlocks (Warrior gives Force Choke, Trooper is a grenade or something?) not the storyline, but I agree that femtrooper is best simply because of Hale's VA.

Yeah, exactly this. The Warriors give Force Choke which at level 23 does 500 damage a tick and does 4 ticks of damage, while also stunning for the duration. Troopers give Sticky Grenade, which takes 5 seconds to go off, and does the same exact amount of damage as a single tick of Force Choke, with no stun.

The trooper legacy move is terrible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but you can do both, to make exploding chokes.

Then kick them in the dick afterwards.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
Yeah the trooper one is just...meh. Theres a sort of stun/fear when its attached to the target but the damage is awful.

The Knight one isn't bad, a pbaoe that at lv 19 is doing ~1k damage.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think the Agent one is an orbital bombardment? That instantly makes it the coolest.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I think the Agent one is an orbital bombardment? That instantly makes it the coolest.

Double orbital strike is the best move in the game. I'll have none of this dick-kicking tomfoolery. And in fact, the more Snipers you have in a raid to drop Orbital strikes, the fun factor of the game approaches infinity.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Holy poo poo the end of Tatooine as a Light-Side Warrior is awesome. I just trolled the old Jedi Master guy so hard he wiped his padawan's mind (but only after said padawan gave me Jaesa's name), then he goes 'Go ahead, Sith, strike me down' and I'm all 'Nope, not gonna kill you. Hope you can live with what you did to your padawan. :smuggo:' Couple that with the oasis scene and, yeah, I can see why people were saying that LS gets good at Tatooine.

Also, random thought: Can you give gifts to your ship droid, or is he always going to be lovely at 0 affection?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Well, made 55 on my Sorc on Pot5 a couple days ago without even touching Makeb. Bunch of PvP and mostly catching up on the class story mission. Finally finishing off that bastard after he quit his own challenge was satisfying. The dark council turning on him at the end was a satisfying end point. Dark side all the way of course, save for a few LS options when going dark goes beyond sociopathy to outright harming my own goals.

So if Pot5 Sith are bored I'll be on off and on as Mentulla, or Sopionis since agent seems interesting.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, while I enjoyed the Sith Warrior story, it didn't feel like it was the "second best after Imperial Agent" that it was hyped up to be. I liked the bits where you gently caress with various people by being nice, but the story felt pretty dragged out with having Darth Baras linger in the background for the whole thing.

Whereas right now I am loving the poo poo out of being a Smuggler. It's a wonderful weight off my roleplaying mind to not have to worry about falling to the dark side, and the Republic side of the game both in my story and the planet quests seem very well tailored in sprinkling in genuine moral dilemmas, enough that by Nar Shaddaa despite playing as a Robin Hood / Malcolm Reynolds type loveable rogue I'm still pretty much neutral on the alignment scale.

Maybe this is old news, but is anyone else a bit weirded out that the planet quests on Nar Shaddaa include the Empire literally commiting the Holocaust? Like, right down to death camps and gas chambers. I wouldn't really have expected any video game to deal with that, but seeing it in a Star Wars game was really bizarre.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Also, random thought: Can you give gifts to your ship droid, or is he always going to be lovely at 0 affection?

You can. Cultural artifacts are his favorite.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Reveilled posted:

Maybe this is old news, but is anyone else a bit weirded out that the planet quests on Nar Shaddaa include the Empire literally commiting the Holocaust? Like, right down to death camps and gas chambers. I wouldn't really have expected any video game to deal with that, but seeing it in a Star Wars game was really bizarre.

Not really. The movies don't really touch on it beyond "You see a lot of Alliance aliens and no Imperial aliens". However, a ton of the EU stuff deals with the fact that the Empire does this poo poo all the time, yet some of their best leaders (Thrawn) are aliens.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Not really. The movies don't really touch on it beyond "You see a lot of Alliance aliens and no Imperial aliens". However, a ton of the EU stuff deals with the fact that the Empire does this poo poo all the time, yet some of their best leaders (Thrawn) are aliens.

Well, the EU is also filled with poo poo like double death stars and such.

The holocaust thing on Nar Shaddaa was rather strange though. Wasn't it implied to be one Moff or whatever going crazy or something? It doesn't really seem to be the empire's usual MO. The pureblood sith have a caste system where non force users are subservient to force users; they want the entire galaxy to fit into this mould. They want to enslave the "lesser races" not eliminate them.

Well, that is unless the emperor needs to pull some sort of immortality stunt. Thats what (The Foundry) Revan was referring to in the "the emperor wants to wipe out all life" line. The emperor's immortality, or near immortality is from absorbing the life force from a fuckton of sith lords at the temple on DK. He wants to "wipe out all life in the galaxy" to become double immortal or whatever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Double orbital strike is the best move in the game. I'll have none of this dick-kicking tomfoolery. And in fact, the more Snipers you have in a raid to drop Orbital strikes, the fun factor of the game approaches infinity.

Sorry, do you bombard their dick? No? Then not the best.

PegLegActual
Sep 11, 2001

Real Pirate. Real Amputee. Limping Through Life.
So I wrote in with a minor customer service concern about a missing item. I casually mentioned that my significant other has been complaining because I've enjoyed the post 2.0 game over many nights. Bear in mind that before I became a traveling food critic...I was a customer service consultant. So when I tell you that this email blew my mind as the most epic customer service reply I've ever gotten..please believe me.

Behold just one snippet of glory. Well done GM Gavin.

"May I suggest perhaps attempting to convince your good wife to play the game with you, this may result in a significantly reduced outgoing in purchases of peace offering gifts such as diamonds, flowers, expensive confectionary and other associated items designed to minimize that most common of side effects from MMORPG play, Spouse Aggro.

In order to help facilitate your smooth Matrimonial relations I have requested the help of a Jawa friend of mine arrange for a one off delivery of flowers to a target of your choosing, this will be dispensed in the form of a Jawagram and the item required to provide this service is waiting in your characters mail box. Please consider the tennants of the Galactic code of Bro-droids fulfilled with this. Simply target that special some one with and use the Jawagram flower delivery item to ensure many happy hearts are seen in the eyes of your beloved.

I hope you enjoy your adventures!

Thank you for your patience and understanding during the process.
Should you require further assistance with this or any other issue, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Gavin
Star Wars ™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Reveilled posted:

SWTOR hasn't been afraid to touch on some hardcore issues. The trooper storyline on Ord Mantell has the rebels kidnapping children, drugging them and forcing them to fight.

• Locked thread