Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

"That's why I calls it a 'murdercycle!'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
"Riding a motorcycle is dangerous by definition and I understand that."

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

"Yes, I know... I bought this thing figuring that riding is just more fun than loading a single bullet into a gun." as seriously and wistfully as you can. This generally shuts them right up.

This only really works A: in throwaway conversations with people and B: if you really don't give a rats rear end what people think of you :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

"Yes, I know... I bought this thing figuring that riding is just more fun than loading a single bullet into a gun." as seriously and wistfully as you can. This generally shuts them right up.

This only really works A: in throwaway conversations with people and B: if you really don't give a rats rear end what people think of you :v:

Alternatively, say what I said to a guy who was getting on my case about smoking: "I don't tell you how to kill yourself."

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I just assume they're telling me because they care about me and thank them for their concern.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.

KodiakRS posted:

Since my accident a few months ago the "I know a guy who injured/killed themselves on a motorcycle comment" have been coming fast and furious. Has anyone figured out how to head these comments off at the pass? I've tried telling them about friends I know who have hurt themselves in a motorcycle accident. I've tried telling them about afriend who died in a car accident and how dangerous cars are. I've tried telling them about the fact that I try to ride safely and wear good gear. But no matter what I say as soon as someone hears I had an accident it's an automatic 5 minute lecture on how dangerous motorcycles are.

Sadly you can't avoid it with some people, I just started responding with 'well if I broke my leg tripping on the stairs I wouldn't give up using them' and then try and change the subject. I didn't really mind the people taking about how dangerous riding is, they are at least in some aspect concerned about my well being. What really irritated me is hearing 'oh you ride one of those Jap Rice burning crotch rockets, when are you going to get a real bike like a Harley'

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

You could go with the old classic "Yeah? Well my grandpa lived to a hundred." "Oh, he rode a motorcycle?" "No, he knew how to mind his own loving business."

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If it's someone you give a crap about, explain to them how you know it's a risk, and how you maturely mitigate the risk to the extent possible. Don't divert with "well, this other thing is dumb too", insult idiots they know for being obvious idiots, or anything like that. Just, I know, I'm an adult, here are the ways and means I cover my rear end while having a little fun, I understand the consequences and am ready for them.

If you don't give a poo poo about them, just shout "YOLO" and moonwalk off

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

When people tell me that motorcycles are dangerous, I just interject with "only more mildly so than being bored or boring"

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Xovaan posted:

When people tell me that motorcycles are dangerous, I just interject with "only more mildly so than being bored or boring"

I like "Yeah, but you have to do something exciting with your life, else you're just like every other boring gently caress". Leaves them nowhere to go and mildly offends!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

hermand posted:

I like "Yeah, but you have to do something exciting with your life, else you're just like every other boring gently caress". Leaves them nowhere to go and mildly offends!

Many, probably most, people are extremely risk-averse and appalled by non-conformity. When you throw this in their faces you're not going to convince them you're right, you're going to convince them you need to be legislated into compliance.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Living somewhere small I usually know about the specific incident in question when it's a "My friends cousins brother got killed on a bike last year".

:what: "You mean that guy who bought a brand new supersport and wheelied into those parked cars at 75mph while not wearing any gear except a helmet?"
:v: "No, the one on the Forest Road."
:what:"Oh, the guy who decided that overtaking 4 stationary vehicles at 65mph on a blind corner only to find out that, surprise, they were stopped letting another vehicle pull out."
:v: "Uh yeah..."
:what: "Well, I'm honoured to be compared to such paragons of common sense and responsibility. Clearly at 5 years and 25,000 miles without serious incident and injury I'm living on borrowed time."
:v: "Oh, hey, no I didn't mean to.."

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Snowdens Secret posted:

Many, probably most, people are extremely risk-averse and appalled by non-conformity. When you throw this in their faces you're not going to convince them you're right, you're going to convince them you need to be legislated into compliance.

We're already pretty well legislated in the UK - I don't really mind it, to be honest.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hermand posted:

We're already pretty well legislated in the UK - I don't really mind it, to be honest.
Ditto.

ReelBigLizard posted:

:what: "You mean that guy who bought a brand new supersport and wheelied into those parked cars at 75mph while not wearing any gear except a helmet?"
This is basically impossible here, supersports are mostly the domain of lunatics who know what they're doing or, more commonly, old men who fit bar risers and top box to an R1 and ride around slowly every two weekends.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah, there's no power/cc limit for provisional riders here. You can ride anything you like on your learner permit, you just have to complete the CBT (MSF).

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yeah, there's no power/cc limit for provisional riders here. You can ride anything you like on your learner permit, you just have to complete the CBT (MSF).

Wow 0.o. I suppose they figure the limited speed limits are enough?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

hermand posted:

Wow 0.o. I suppose they figure the limited speed limits are enough?

I'm guessing its more of a capitalism thing. What good is having the more expensive bikes available to only the more responsible people? Gotta get the young and dumb in there buying the things up to turn a profit.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
It's actually more a "The law was written when motorcycles still had total-loss oil systems" thing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I can confirm there are no power restrictions anywhere in Canada either. Take a 40 question multiple choice test, pass with 80% correct, go buy a litre bike.

The test only has about 15 bike related questions on it in BC, the rest are general driving questions like *Picture of Yield sign*: "What does this sign mean?"

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you don't give a poo poo about them, just shout "YOLO" and moonwalk off

This is how I end every conversation. :c00lbert:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I wish the MSF or something like it were mandatory for your license here.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Rime posted:

I can confirm there are no power restrictions anywhere in Canada either. Take a 40 question multiple choice test, pass with 80% correct, go buy a litre bike.

The test only has about 15 bike related questions on it in BC, the rest are general driving questions like *Picture of Yield sign*: "What does this sign mean?"

U.S. is like that too, at least in Massachusetts. I think I had questions about a car seat when I was taking my permit test. I thought for sure it was a trick question.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rime posted:

If they wait until you go for your bike license to ask you what a yield sign does, everyone on my commute with a BC plate suddenly makes sense.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If they wait until you go for your bike license to ask you what a yield sign does, everyone on my commute with a BC plate suddenly makes sense.

It's just a generic driving exam, zero prior experience with a motor vehicle required. I forgot to mention that 30 days after taking this test you can go do some u-turns in a parking lot in front of an examiner and then ride your new rocket with zero supervision required. The only restriction on you is not riding after dark.

Rime fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 24, 2013

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

bigbillystyle posted:

U.S. is like that too, at least in Massachusetts. I think I had questions about a car seat when I was taking my permit test. I thought for sure it was a trick question.

I had to answer a bunch of questions about how many passengers you could take with you if you're 16 years old. Almost failed because of that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Mine had that question no one ever remembers about how far from a train track a schoolbus has to stop.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Snowdens Secret posted:

Mine had that question no one ever remembers about how far from a train track a schoolbus has to stop.

:psyduck: This would be valid if I was getting a license to drive a loving schoolbus

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
My QLD bike learner's questionaire asked me where the rider should put their feet. One of the multiple choice answers was 'the passenger's footrest'.:cripes:

Lurch fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 26, 2013

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

That's always an option on a long distance ride. :c00lbert:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Lurch posted:

My QLD bike learner's questionaire asked me where the rider should put their feet. One of the multiple choice answers was 'the passenger's footrest'.:cripes:

Maybe they assumed you were a man and planned on doing a lot of 12oclock wheelies :smug:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lurch posted:

I did that when one of the pegs broke. It was actually surprisingly comfortable on a Triumph Bonneville. Not sure how well it would work on a more modern-styled bike, or on a big fat Harley for that matter, but it worked well enough that I'd try it again for shits and giggles.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Lurch posted:

I'm pretty sure I got this question too. Like the answers to the whole five questions aren't painfully obvious anyway.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I saw an interesting one tonight on the way home from work.

Here in DFW, we've been getting some rain since late afternoon. I saw a guy on his R6, dressed in his shorts and wife beater, looking quite miserable as he rode along. Fair enough, serves him right for not wearing any gear. But the weird part was not just his slow speed (roughly 20 mph in a 45 zone).

For some reason known only to him, every time he got to a puddle, he would take both feet off the pegs and drag them through the water. It has been a couple of hours now and I still can't think of a reason he would do that.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Flint Ironstag posted:

I saw an interesting one tonight on the way home from work.

Here in DFW, we've been getting some rain since late afternoon. I saw a guy on his R6, dressed in his shorts and wife beater, looking quite miserable as he rode along. Fair enough, serves him right for not wearing any gear. But the weird part was not just his slow speed (roughly 20 mph in a 45 zone).

For some reason known only to him, every time he got to a puddle, he would take both feet off the pegs and drag them through the water. It has been a couple of hours now and I still can't think of a reason he would do that.

poo poo riders here do that "hover my feet above the ground" thing because they think the bike is going to buck them off at slow speeds. Perhaps his reasoning was similar what with the deadly water on the ground.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Backov posted:

poo poo riders here do that "hover my feet above the ground" thing because they think the bike is going to buck them off at slow speeds. Perhaps his reasoning was similar what with the deadly water on the ground.

Last year I saw a guy slowly navigate a left hand turn on an r6 with both feet hovering, like any kind of lean might shoot the bike sideways at any moment. It's hard to understand how anybody could be that bad on public roads.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Last year I saw a guy slowly navigate a left hand turn on an r6 with both feet hovering, like any kind of lean might shoot the bike sideways at any moment. It's hard to understand how anybody could be that bad on public roads.

To be fair, it's not like sportbikes are known for the ability to go around a corner. Aren't they just for doing 80 mph wheelies through rush hour traffic?

Maybe I've just been in DFW too long and miss CA's racetracks and canyons.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Thats how you get a super cool spiral fracture.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ermington/motorcycles/hyosung-gt250r-ducati-look-a-like-/1020725192

Friend linked me to this:

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
If only there was a trellis-framed 250cc V-twin that looked remarkably similar to a Ducati Monster. Oh well. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shouting Melon posted:

If only there was a trellis-framed 250cc V-twin that looked remarkably similar to a Ducati Monster. Oh well. :sigh:

• Locked thread