Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I just got a bottle of Cuvee De Mortagne, seems like it's pretty rare in the states. I might see if I can get more bottles tomorrow... not sure though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Just saw on Beervana that both 10 Barrel and Boneyard sold more beer in OR in the 1st quarter than Rogue, thanks for supporting central Oregon's economy :tipshat:

You didn't even mention that Deschutes is far an away the best selling brewery in the state and Ninkasi is poised to overtake Widmer/CBA for the #2 spot in the near future.

No one in Oregon drinks Rogue anymore, with good reason. They seem to be getting by on the basis of a few gimmick beers and being one of the few craft beers available in nearly every part of the country.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

No one in Oregon drinks Rogue anymore, with good reason. They seem to be getting by on the basis of a few gimmick beers and being one of the few craft beers available in nearly every part of the country.

me and my homebrew friends have been drinking our way through the BJCP style guide and have been sticking to their examples as much as possible, but not once in the first 18 categories have we purchased a Rogue beer.

on that note, is anyone here BJCP-certified?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Valencia posted:

The Saucer is doing a massive New Belgium takeover tomorrow night, with 20 different NB beers on tap:

...oh, they just can't spell then. Not surprised, really.

Nor can they get the gist of the beers right. This is not the first place that I've seen their collab with Dieu Du Ciel be called "Dieu Du Ciel."

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

So more changes in Texas beer laws have passed, which could enable Jester King to sell both on/off premise by having a brewpub license. Except some reactions to their upcoming release are like looking a gift horse in the mouth. The same kind of scum response as what was mentioned a few days ago re: Brandy Hunahpu.

"And those of us that don't live in Austin will miss out on something with otherwise could have had."

Brewery-only releases are how it works everywhere else, and I'm just freaking ecstatic we're finally catching up :colbert:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

"And those of us that don't live in Austin will miss out on something with otherwise could have had."

I want to believe that entitlement at this level is beer-specific but really, that's just the world we live in...

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

funkybottoms posted:

on that note, is anyone here BJCP-certified?

I thought about it, then I thought that there are just too many good loving beers that get poo poo on by BCJP judges because they don't conform to BCJP style guidelines. I used to think BCJP was a great measure of how good a beer was, then Shiner Bock won a gold, among the many other bullshit gold medal winnings that happen every year at BCJP. The judges basically want you to clone brews, not be creative at all. Brew a clone of Allagash White and you'll win a gold.

Edit: And before anyone comments, yes I'm pretty butthurt about the local BCJP judges and how they rate stuff around here. They've always left a bad taste in my mouth, not only for how they rate my beer, but for how they have poo poo on other excellent beer. It also baffles me how a BCJP certified judge could put, "perceivable hops" in a 3 month witbier that's 3 months old. No there isn't, your palate just loving sucks.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 23, 2013

czechshaun
Dec 13, 2004
en trance

air- posted:

So more changes in Texas beer laws have passed, which could enable Jester King to sell both on/off premise by having a brewpub license. Except some reactions to their upcoming release are like looking a gift horse in the mouth. The same kind of scum response as what was mentioned a few days ago re: Brandy Hunahpu.

Brewery-only releases are how it works everywhere else, and I'm just freaking ecstatic we're finally catching up :colbert:

I have intentions to check this brewery out soon. I live in central Texas and there are a number of good breweries out here. (Live Oak, Real Ale, Independence, Jester King, Circle Brewing, Thirsty Planet, etc)

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Couple of tasting/palate development questions for the experts here.

In an effort to better develop my palate, I taste as many beers as I can, write my notes down and compare them with my beer geek friends and/or online reviews on BA or RateBeer. I still feel like there's a lot i'm not picking up in many beers, and am looking for some tips on making improvements. Are there any tips and/or good blog posts/books that you all recommend on developing a better palate? I still feel like i'm super generic in my reviews of beer.

Here's one of the problems, though. After about 2, maybe 3 beers, I get super congested and my palate gets wrecked. Not sure if it is allergies or what, but it sucks to have not been able to get a good read on the Bolt Cutter I sipped on last night due to not being able to taste well after a few beers. Is this a common thing, or am I probably allergic to some sort of ingredient?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cervixalot posted:

In an effort to better develop my palate, I taste as many beers as I can, write my notes down and compare them with my beer geek friends and/or online reviews on BA or RateBeer. I still feel like there's a lot i'm not picking up in many beers, and am looking for some tips on making improvements. Are there any tips and/or good blog posts/books that you all recommend on developing a better palate? I still feel like i'm super generic in my reviews of beer.

Here's one of the problems, though. After about 2, maybe 3 beers, I get super congested and my palate gets wrecked. Not sure if it is allergies or what, but it sucks to have not been able to get a good read on the Bolt Cutter I sipped on last night due to not being able to taste well after a few beers. Is this a common thing, or am I probably allergic to some sort of ingredient?

Improve your palate by randomly making up things you want people to think you can distinguish in a beer. No one can tell you that you're wrong!

I've found at nights after a lot drinking, I get congested. I figure it's a very mild hops allergy as it seems to be worse when it's more hoppy beers that night.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

czechshaun posted:

I have intentions to check this brewery out soon. I live in central Texas and there are a number of good breweries out here. (Live Oak, Real Ale, Independence, Jester King, Circle Brewing, Thirsty Planet, etc)

Once it's confirmed, the release of Atrial Rubicite would be a good time to go, plus very strong probability I'll head down there myself. Jester King's brewery is gorgeous because of the location in the Hill Country. Huge open fields, rolling hills, an actual barn (ha) unlike most craft breweries in the state built within industrial complexes.

And in terms of general suggestions, I'd prioritize Hops & Grain, Real Ale, and (512) if I were you.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Valencia posted:

Anyone had either of those and can chime in on if they're good? If neither of them is worth trying I'll probably just stick to the Coffee Chocolate Stout and the '12 La Folie, maybe the Heavenly Feijoa if I'm feeling spendy.

I enjoyed Hoppy Bock quite a bit if you haven't had it, I have no idea if it's common or not outside the home market here. Not a crazy experimental beer or anything, just well made and tasty. Although it's been out for a while now so the hops aren't ~~~super fresh~~~

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Cervixalot posted:

Don't just capital-T Taste beer. Do some wine and whiskey tasting as well. Get notes for a decent wine or an aged single malt scotch and work to pick out those flavors and aromas. Same thing for food, don't be afraid to be a bit of a foodie and really analyze the flavors in a good meal. For example, try to pick out the taste of every topping on a burger. Beer definitely has some unique flavors and aromas, but changing the medium is a good way to broaden and strengthen your palate.

Otherwise I like to sometimes read tasting notes ahead of time and play agree/disagree. It doesn't really matter if you end up agreeing or disagreeing, it's more just taking a different angle on tasting. It's fun to see what you do taste and what you don't, plus sometimes you'll be like, "there's no pine in here, it's all grapefruit," and 10 minutes late after it's warmed up a bit you'll be like, "oh yeah, there it is." Or I personally love it when I go to some breweries here in CO, read the notes, and then get to be like yeah, there's none of that going on here, it tastes like wet barley with powdered coffee.

No idea about the congestion, though.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

We just touched on palate fatigue a few posts ago.

Your brain has some interesting mechanisms to deal with being overloaded by certain smells and tastes. It will actually shut down receptors, which is one of the reasons beers "develop" over time (other factors include oxidation and warming). This is why when you walk into a house where someone baked a tray of chocolate chip cookies it smells awesome for a few minutes, but eventually the smell fades away. The smell isn't gone, your brain just tuned it out because it needs to be able to detect other more subtle scents that may be hiding beneath the more pronounced smell.

The types of things you are drinking and the order you drink them in will also impact your ability to distinguish subtle differences in flavors.

For example, I try to never start a night with a DIPA unless I'm planning on drinking a lot of water or sticking to one specific beer. The hop bitterness in some beers is so strong that it will alter my palate for an extended period of time. Green Flash Palate Wrecker is the worst culprit of this in my experience. I can still taste that beer for 2 hours after I drink it (but it's one of my favorites).

Also sticking to the same sorts of beers over and over can get so exhausting to your palate that you'll end up missing certain flavors that you've been bombaring your sense with. Eventually your brain shuts down receptors. It can be useful for detecting certain more subtle flavors, but as your move through different beers you'll be missing the big up front flavors that would normally dominate.

Other environmental factors can also impact your enjoyment of a beverage. Off smells, food, colognes, and air fresheners will definitely impact the way a beer tastes to you.

I did two experiments at the Yards events I mentioned a few posts ago, one where the vanilla flavor in a beer completely disappeared, and another where every flavor except for the whiskey in a barrel aged beer went away. It's kinda weird how exteral stimuli can alter everything.

The whole palate fatigue thing is something I've been really interested in for the past month or so. It's kinda interesting how our internal chemistry can cause a perceived change in smell or taste that isn't actually there.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 23, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Cervixalot posted:

Try more foods, that will make it easier to pick out the flavors you're having a hard time identifying. Then again sometimes a beer is as simple as "caramel sweetness with some earthy hops."

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Working on my palate has led me to almost 100% stop drinking soda or sweet drinks, and I now drink even lovely coffee black (usually).

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Atrial Rubicite stacking up with Love Child as well... I've never seen so much hype behind a Texas beer, ever.
http://thebeerists.com/the-beerists-59-barrel-aged-mix/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

air- posted:

Atrial Rubicite stacking up with Love Child as well... I've never seen so much hype behind a Texas beer, ever.
http://thebeerists.com/the-beerists-59-barrel-aged-mix/

Freetail's Fortuna Roja, a prickly pear sour, is pretty sought after. It also happens to be phenomenal. I wish I had some.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Freetail's Fortuna Roja, a prickly pear sour, is pretty sought after. It also happens to be phenomenal. I wish I had some.

I went to Freetail when I was in San Antonio last year. Everything was reaaaaally good, that place is doing a great job. There was an especially good rye witbier that I liked so much I've started homebrewing one in the same vein regularly. Awesome hot weather beer.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

danbanana posted:

I want to believe that entitlement at this level is beer-specific but really, that's just the world we live in...

No, the entitlement found on BA is truly out there.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cervixalot posted:

I get really congested after drinking a couple beers in one evening, but it seems to have started in the past month or two and I'm going to blame that on my pollen/dust/everything allergies.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I've found that the best part of beer trades are the little extras that we throw in that weren't part of the original deal. Today I was packing up a trade to go out soon and I was reusing some packing stuff from a recent trade. I was digging around for some bubble wrap and found 2 Jai Alais just chilling out in the midst of the newspaper and bubble wrap. I've been wanting to try this beer but never got around to trading it. Good goon sir, I appreciate it!
Moral of the story is that you should always pull everything out of the box. You may miss something awesome.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

ChickenArise posted:

Working on my palate has led me to almost 100% stop drinking soda or sweet drinks, and I now drink even lovely coffee black (usually).

This has been the case for me too. An appreciation of dry stouts and black coffee came hand in hand with a conscious investment to try and understand flavors.

Randy Mosher's Tasting Beer is the reference text used for Cicerone's Certified Beer Server, for what it's worth.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Midorka posted:

I thought about it...

well, thanks for that, but i was looking comments on the experience of becoming a judge, specifically if anybody had had tricks played on them (mixing beers, intentionally adding off-flavors, etc). i honestly enjoyed the process of judging within a strict set of guidelines because it forces me to think critically about what i'm tasting. i have no desire to judge competitions, but i like the exercise.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

We just touched on palate fatigue a few posts ago.

the "aromas in beer" presentation from CBC talks about some interesting research into taste and smell perception. some of the presentation is too technical for me(the poo poo about bottle caps), but it's very interesting.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 23, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

funkybottoms posted:

well, thanks for that, but i was looking comments on the experience of becoming a judge, specifically if anybody had had tricks played on them (mixing beers, intentionally adding off-flavors, etc). i honestly enjoyed the process of judging within a strict set of guidelines because it forces me to think critically about what i'm tasting. i have no desire to judge competitions, but i like the exercise.

Yeah sorry for my rant, I'm just sore as hell at how the judges handled our last competition.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

the "aromas in beer" presentation from CBC talks about some interesting research into taste and smell perception. some of the presentation is too technical for me(the poo poo about bottle caps), but it's very interesting.

Welp, I know what I'm going to be listening to for the next month.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

funkybottoms posted:

from CBC talks

Holy crap I am so excited to listen to these haha.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Welp, I know what I'm going to be listening to for the next month.

I am kinda excited to commute home now! These look awesome.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
San Diego's Toronado 5th Anniversary Party taplist:

quote:

Pizza Port San Clemente Double Entendre
North Coast Old Rasputin XV
Almanac Reserve #1-#4
Almanac Barrel Noir
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
Firestone-Walker Sucaba
Firestone-Walker XV
Firestone-Walker Parabola
The Bruery Melange #3
The Bruery Hottenroth
The Bruery Tart of Darkness
Moonlight Death and Taxes
Moonlight Bombay by Boat
Reality Czech Pilsner
Alpine Nelson
Alpine Nelson (cask)
Alpine Keene Idea (aka Double Nelson)
Alpine Duet
Alpine Pure Hoppiness
Karl Strauss 23rd Anniversary Old Ale
AleSmith Speedway Stout
AleSmith Nicaraguan Speedway Stout
The Lost Abbey Deliverance
The Lost Abbey Framboise de Amorosa
The Lost Abbey Angel’s Share
The Lost Abbey Cuvee de Tomme
The Lost Abbey 2010 Serpent’s Stout
The Lost Abbey 2011 Cable Car
Pizza Port Carlsbad BBA Night Rider
Russian River Pliny the Elder
Russian River Consecration
Russian River Supplication
Russian River Toronado 25th Anniversary
Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin
Ballast Point Mole Victory at Sea
Stone Ruination w/Citra

I'm probably going.

pepper bologna
Dec 31, 2005
A man among mushrooms
For those of you that live nearby, Asheville Beer Week is going to be from May 25th to June 1st. As it so happens I will be in town over the weekend and am looking forward to the Thirsty Monk IPA night as well as potentially the Pisgah barrel-aged event in Black Mountain NC. For those that have drank their beers, is Pisgah worth visiting? I have not been there before but Black Mountain would be on the way if we were to take I-40 to Asheville from Charlotte. Otherwise, the fiance and I plan to hit up Green Man and Wicked Weed, as well as potentially Bruisin' Ales to see if they have anything interesting on the shelves.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Midorka posted:

I have a barrel I have "scotch" in, it's two liters. ISO: BBA Natty Ice.

On a serious note, I'm planning a trip with my girlfriend to the Baltimore Aquarium and am looking for a few places to go to. I don't mind driving within 45 minutes to an hour out of the way from the aquarium and will be coming in from the north. I plan to stop at State Line Liquors. I've also heard of DuClaw and that they make some good beer as does Stillwater, are any of them rather close?

Dragging this out from a few pages back to suggest that if you are in Baltimore on a Saturday, Union Craft Brewing has tastings and tours from 1-4 and is only about 10-15 min from downtown. They also usually invite one or two of the food trucks in town to hang out in their parking lot while the tasting room is open.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Acquired Terrapin W-n-B and Moo-Hoo this week. Looking forward to trying a Wake-n-Moo tomorrow to kick off Memorial Day weekend!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Angry Grimace posted:

San Diego's Toronado 5th Anniversary Party taplist:

I'm probably going.

Wow now that is one hell of a tap list. Grapefruit sculpin sounds delicious!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
OH recently started to get beers by Nectar Ales, which is apparently owned by Firestone Walker. I wish we'd start to get their real beers already, this stuff is just a tease. :(

edit: I will say I haven't tried all of their beers yet, and Black Xantus sounds really really good... I just want some FW! I've yet to try any of their beers, and haven't heard anything bad about them.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 24, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kudosx posted:

OH recently started to get beers by Nectar Ales, which is apparently owned by Firestone Walker. I wish we'd start to get their real beers already, this stuff is just a tease. :(

edit: I will say I haven't tried all of their beers yet, and Black Xantus sounds really really good... I just want some FW! I've yet to try any of their beers, and haven't heard anything bad about them.

FW sold Nectar. I'm not sure how that affected Black Xantus (which I believe was actually brewed at FW), but I've seen it a lot more this year than I ever have before. A good beer but not as good as Parabola.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

danbanana posted:

FW sold Nectar. I'm not sure how that affected Black Xantus (which I believe was actually brewed at FW), but I've seen it a lot more this year than I ever have before. A good beer but not as good as Parabola.

Oh really? Guess I'm grabbing one during lunch break today from the corner store!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

danbanana posted:

Well, it says it's brewed in Paso Robles still, so I guess it's still contract brewed to them? Either way, their IPA was a bit too sweet for me. Their brown ale wasn't the best either, seemed a bit gimmicky since it was brewed with hemp. Neither were flat out bad, but I won't go out seeking either one again.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

pepper bologna posted:

For those of you that live nearby, Asheville Beer Week is going to be from May 25th to June 1st. As it so happens I will be in town over the weekend and am looking forward to the Thirsty Monk IPA night as well as potentially the Pisgah barrel-aged event in Black Mountain NC. For those that have drank their beers, is Pisgah worth visiting? I have not been there before but Black Mountain would be on the way if we were to take I-40 to Asheville from Charlotte. Otherwise, the fiance and I plan to hit up Green Man and Wicked Weed, as well as potentially Bruisin' Ales to see if they have anything interesting on the shelves.

I'm going up Sunday and Monday with my girlfriend. Pisgah's event is on Sunday, so if you're driving on the 25th, it doesn't matter which way you went. Pisgah is only about 20 minutes from Asheville, though. I like some of their stuff, and I was trying to decide if I wanted to delay driving up on Sunday so I could hit the start of that release. I don't think they're GREAT, though. If it's a warm (not hot) day, they do have a nice outside 'beer garden' area that can be pretty cool to hang out in.

Green Man's Hoppy Saison sounds pretty good, and I'm looking forward to Wicked Weed as well, they had some really great beers at Hickory Hops.

I forget if there is anyone else in here that's actually in Asheville (or just planning on moving there), but does anyone know how busy Wicked Weed gets for dinner? They don't take reservations, which I'm afraid means Memorial Day dinner might be impossible to do without showing up really early or waiting for hours...

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
iirc Nectar was bought by Total Beverage Solution in South Carolina, but will be brewed by FW for a bit while other things are worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Next batch of Stone Enjoy By is 07.04.13 :patriot:

On it's way to Northern/Southern California, Missouri, Texas, and Washington.
http://www.stonebrewing.com/enjoyby/