Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

GanjamonII posted:

Going back to my situation I had a couple of questions for y'all smart people in here
1) Are the thresholds of eg 10% for CPU ready you're mentioning applicable to larger 8 way VMs? I've seen some blogs online which seem to point to higher CPU ready being acceptable for larger VMs. Eg 40% for 8 core VM. The highest VM I can see right now is sustained at 35% but doesn't seem to be doing any actual work (1-3% CPU utilization).

2) The CPUs in my hosts are 2x 10 core, but with hyper threading shows as 40 logical cores in vsphere. For purposes of calculating over-commitment should I be using 20 or 40 for the physical cores? Eg I have 40 vcpus allocated on one of my hosts, is this 1:1 or 2:1 virtual:physical?

1) I'm not sure what forums that is, but regardless higher CPU ready is more time the VM has to wait to process instructions it hurts performance.

2) You're using 20 physical cores Hyperthreading is not a cpu core, at a high level it work like this. Hyperthreading is not a core replacement, it only helps how the data is processed the the core.

Don't think of it as ratios, think about assigning what the virtual machines need. If it isn't saturating the vCPU(s) it has don't assign more it doesn't make it faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
This is honestly a much better use of the Nicira tech than trying to market it as a standalone product right now. Dogfood, etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm trying to figure out the pricing here:

http://vcloud.vmware.com/about_services/pricing

Are those unit prices overages? Or are they the cost. It says that 2TB storage is the minimum purchase, but at $0.17/GB/hr that would make 2tb of storage $252,960 /month which is obviously not right.

Having just put our first new vMware cluster in place, we were also looking to supplement our prod environment with a cloud test environment and the ability to seamlessly integrate this in with our current cluster is appealing, but I can't even figure out where things start on pricing here.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Hmm I am not using windows authentication but it is unpatched so maybe I will try patching and cross my fingers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

People assigning the wrong vCPU amounts for the job drive me up a wall. I work for an MSP and a ton of our environments are set to 8 vCPU on all the VMs. Slowly getting around to changing them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Explorer posted:

People assigning the wrong vCPU amounts for the job drive me up a wall. I work for an MSP and a ton of our environments are set to 8 vCPU on all the VMs. Slowly getting around to changing them.

Ugh. My old boss was so bad with this. Why does my domain controller need 4 cores?

parid
Mar 18, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I would pay good money for a training video that would walk low level admins and application people through the basics of VM sizing and how its not like what you did for physical machines. I'd use it every day.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

parid posted:

I would pay good money for a training video that would walk low level admins and application people through the basics of VM sizing and how its not like what you did for physical machines. I'd use it every day.

Does anyone have some good resources for this? I would really like to read more about how to size VMs properly.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
This book really does a good job of breaking it down plain and simple.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/critical-vmware-mistakes-you-should-avoid-larry-loucks/1102498676?ean=9781937061982

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So here are some performance graphs for my two VM servers:

This is bad, right? Like terribly colossally bad? By my guess we've got about 200 IOPS to go around and all told, and one of the disks has 300 IOPS of demand (the graph is updated every 20 s

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah that's pretty bad looking storage performance.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

More is better! THREE THOUSAND MILLISECONDS!!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm thinking that more than anything it's the latency that's killing me, right. This stuff all lives in the same rack connected by a single cheap unmanaged switch, I should be hoping for something around 10ms, right?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm thinking that more than anything it's the latency that's killing me, right. This stuff all lives in the same rack connected by a single cheap unmanaged switch, I should be hoping for something around 10ms, right?

Obviously lower is better. 10-15 is good, maybe on a pretty bad day 20-25ms.

janitorx
May 3, 2002

I'm cuckoo for cocoa cocks!

teh z0rg posted:

This might be a dumb question but is there anything specific I need to do to let an NMS query VCenter Server? anything related to VCenter hardening?

I can poll ESXi in a lab easy... vCenter? Not so much.

I admit I haven't spent a ton of time on this I've been busy wiht higher pri stuff but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks.

A bit late, but if you are on 5.1 and using AD authentication against the API you need to set it to the highest priority provider in SSO. The VI client will still work fine but the API behaves differently.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

end users will typically begin to notice slowness once it exceeds 25ms in many applications. they will start screaming between 50 and 100ms.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/info?slug=datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vcloud_suite/5_1

Patch for the Login issue 5.1 U1 caused is now out

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
With ESXi5 and up, what's the guidance on the use of PVSCSI vs LSI SAS? Our workload is mostly low IOPS, a few medium IOPS machines, and one db server that can get pretty high but spends most of it's time idle.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Goon Matchmaker posted:

With ESXi5 and up, what's the guidance on the use of PVSCSI vs LSI SAS? Our workload is mostly low IOPS, a few medium IOPS machines, and one db server that can get pretty high but spends most of it's time idle.

Only time you'll start to notice a real benefit with the PVSCSI adapter is better for machines that are pushing >1000 iops.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Corvettefisher posted:

Only time you'll start to notice a real benefit with the PVSCSI adapter is better for machines that are pushing >1000 iops.

But running pvscsi on <1000 iops won't cause a performance drop right? That's the impression I'm getting from the vmware kb.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Goon Matchmaker posted:

But running pvscsi on <1000 iops won't cause a performance drop right? That's the impression I'm getting from the vmware kb.

Not it won't hurt you just won't see much, if any, gains.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I don't suppose there's any cheap/free solutions for VDI on vmware? I've got literally just a couple of users I'd like to do it with, so I'm not going to get approval for a View license just for them.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
How cheap are you talking?

Freely you can just make win7 VM's, assign static IP's, and run this optimization tool, and save static RDP shortcuts on the users desktops.

Other than that VMware View Enterprise with 10 users is like 1800 MSRP

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Win7 VMs still take Microsoft licensing, hopefully he has that.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

And now I play the waiting game to see if I can get my licensing that has been hosed up for the last two years fixed before 4.1 support gets dropped.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

How cheap are you talking?

Freely you can just make win7 VM's, assign static IP's, and run this optimization tool, and save static RDP shortcuts on the users desktops.

Other than that VMware View Enterprise with 10 users is like 1800 MSRP

Why bother with static?

For some reason at my new job no one trusts dns. It makes me furious.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah clearly DNS is bullshit, it's not a cornerstone technology without which the internet as we know it couldn't exist or anything :wtc: How do you not "trust" DNS? Did they used to have a useless admin who never updated records?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

Why bother with static?

I just put static down but Dynamic would work just fine as well.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Moey posted:

Why bother with static?

They probably mistrust DNS because they've never worked with an environment that was configured properly. Help them to redirect their anger away from DNS and towards the idiots who ignore best-practice.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Yeah that's pretty much it, same thing for people who don't trust the network or the SAN.

parid
Mar 18, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I'm trying to figure out the pricing here:

http://vcloud.vmware.com/about_services/pricing

Are those unit prices overages? Or are they the cost. It says that 2TB storage is the minimum purchase, but at $0.17/GB/hr that would make 2tb of storage $252,960 /month which is obviously not right.

Having just put our first new vMware cluster in place, we were also looking to supplement our prod environment with a cloud test environment and the ability to seamlessly integrate this in with our current cluster is appealing, but I can't even figure out where things start on pricing here.

Just checking back in on this subject. I was also very confused about the listed prices as they didn't make sense. You might want to go back and check that page again. The storage is now listed as $0.14-$0.17/GB-month instead of GB/hr. I'm still trying to get our account rep to give us the straight pitch and break down for all of it.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Ugh how confusing.
It should probably be priced based on consumption over time. I am just now more confused why it would say per month, unless it's becoming a flat rate, not consumption/throughput.
For instance if priced at so many cents per gigabyte on a storage resource, that would basically mean you can do so many writes per cent, not really just how much you can store.
The update makes me think that perhaps storage is not metered, except for space use.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
After at 45 minute pitch, and rehash of the materials they have already published on their site, they finally explained it. They are setting "blocks" of resources. They bill the block monthly and you decide how you want to use it. I'm pretty sure it's a straight up resource pool. You pay whether you use the whole resource pool or not. The prices listed on the public page are an example of what these blocks could break down into if you divided it among some simulated number of VMs. There is a ~$1,300 minimum purchase which includes one "unit" of each resource (compute,storage,throughput,public IPs,ect). Support costs are bundled in compute.

I'm not sure which marketing genius came up with their public pricing page but it bares no resemblance to their actual pricing structure and only serves to confuse the situation.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Does anyone use vCenter Server Heartbeat?

Gotta do budgeting for next year and after killing all of our XenServer licensing and switching back to vSphere for our server workloads, I would like some added redundancy between sites for vCenter.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

Does anyone use vCenter Server Heartbeat?

Gotta do budgeting for next year and after killing all of our XenServer licensing and switching back to vSphere for our server workloads, I would like some added redundancy between sites for vCenter.

Is HA not good enough? vCenter heartbeat is cool and all but also comes at a high price.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Is HA not good enough? vCenter heartbeat is cool and all but also comes at a high price.

Should be unless one of my sites fails. 5k isn't terrible though and we have two vCenter licenses already for some reason...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

Should be unless one of my sites fails. 5k isn't terrible though and we have two vCenter licenses already for some reason...

If you have two licenses couldn't you just roll with SRM? I mean, Heartbeat is cool and all however I believe SRM would provide greater benefit overall unless you already have something in place for it.

As of View 5 you can protect some of your view environment with SRM as well

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 30, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I'd say give Heartbeat's documentation a whirl and see if the configuration part of it makes sense to you. If you're comfortable, with the setup, it'll be fine.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Corvettefisher posted:

If you have two licenses couldn't you just roll with SRM? I mean, Heartbeat is cool and all however I believe SRM would provide greater benefit overall unless you already have something in place for it.

As of View 5 you can protect some of your view environment with SRM as well
SRM is a complete waste of money if you already have your storage/data networks stretched to your DR site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

SRM is a complete waste of money if you already have your storage/data networks stretched to your DR site

Hence the "unless you have something in place for it"