Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Some people like to keep that list clean and display only currently running applications. The functionality is there for a reason and if they want to clean it up, so what?

"Remove Background" is one of the better ones. Install it and assign a simple swipe of the status bar or something via Activator and be done with it. It also has a SBSettings toggle you can use as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
^^ :hfive:

c0burn posted:

You don't need to kill all apps why would you do that

I don't know about you, but I'm obsessive about keeping my switcher tray clean. If I don't plan on going back to an app within the next twenty minutes, it's getting killed.

Auxo is causing my phone to crash and reboot like crazy. So much for those two dollars.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 22, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Kingnothing posted:

Unless the app is going crazy rogue, it can't run in the background for more than 10 minutes. So closing those apps has almost no effect on your battery. Think of that list as a recently opened list.

I didn't think about that aspect, but is there anything that would explain why my free memory goes from 120mb to 350mb after I use killbacground even though my phone has been inactive for more than 10 minutes?

Woops, misread your post.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
FlatIcon question:

Anyone know where to change the settings that the weather on the lockscreen is looking at? It's in Celciu even though my weather app shows F.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

savesthedayrocks posted:

FlatIcon question:

Anyone know where to change the settings that the weather on the lockscreen is looking at? It's in Celciu even though my weather app shows F.

Change the line isCelsius to false in Lockscreen.HTML in the folder fir the theme your using. They're all stored in /Library/Themes. There's a line in the same block to change the weather location, the default is Toronto.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Bummey posted:

Auxo is causing my phone to crash and reboot like crazy. So much for those two dollars.

Weird, mines fine. Must be conflicting with something. Auxo works with most popular apps though...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Team THEOLOGY posted:

I am assuming you would have to do this manually though? There is no easy access tweak for say themeing (weird adjective) the play button for example?

AFAIK, there's no tweak or anything to do it for you. It's all manual.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

I didn't think about that aspect, but is there anything that would explain why my free memory goes from 120mb to 350mb after I use killbacground even though my phone has been inactive for more than 10 minutes?

Woops, misread your post.

My bad. I meant to add that a few apps, such as music and Apple apps can run in the background. Also location services and push notifications.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Team THEOLOGY posted:

^^

Ill assume you didn't mean to come of as crass as you did but the adjectives make me unsure.

Anyway...

Well thanks for all the input guys, I caved hard.

You all make pretty good points. This ok?

That mix of rounded corners with point-corner squares would drive me batshit crazy.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Aatrek posted:

That mix of rounded corners with point-corner squares would drive me batshit crazy.

It sort of drives me crazy too but does someone have a fix for bitesms the main reason I moded?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Team THEOLOGY posted:

It sort of drives me crazy too but does someone have a fix for bitesms the main reason I moded?

Do you have FlatIcons applied under FlatIcons Square, that works for me for unthemed icons, like Remote and Podcasts.

Also your folders are rounded, which is driving me insane becasuse they should be squared.

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 23, 2013

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Team THEOLOGY posted:

In settings choose to use Apple iMessage icon instead of BiteSMS.

And yes your phone is far less ugly now based on my personal opinion and preferences.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The op says the evasi0n link will jailbreak 6.1, however when I open the software it says it's for ios versions 6.0 - 6.1.2. I'm running ios 5.0.1 and whenI look at Cydia for saved shsh blobs, it says the only next available shsh blob from 5.0.1 is 6.1.3. Will evasi0n still work or is there no available untethered jailbreak for 6.1.3 as of yet?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

6.1.2 is the last version Evasion works on. They're not doing anything else until IOS7 comes out.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Aaaah. That sucks. I take it, the reason is because iOS 7 beta and iOS 6.1.3 have the same exploitable vulnerabilities?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

That's how I understand it. They don't want to burn their remaining exploits, so they're saving them for an undetermined time after 7's release.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This whole cat-and-mouse game when it comes to jailbreaks is kinda burning me out on iOS. I love the UI and design, but I think I'm gonna give Android a shot, next time.

Anyway, is there any jailbreak tweak that will allow me to switch Wi-Fi networks straight from NCSettings, without going into Settings.app?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

That's how I understand it. They don't want to burn their remaining exploits, so they're saving them for an undetermined time after 7's release.

If that's the case, it's quite understandable.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

This whole cat-and-mouse game when it comes to jailbreaks is kinda burning me out on iOS. I love the UI and design, but I think I'm gonna give Android a shot, next time.

I was looking at android phones last time when I upgraded because my 3gs died after 3 years. I checked out the skyrocket which was the best thing AT&T had to offer at the time, it locked up 3 times in 10 minutes, so they went in the back and grabbed a new one which locked up again brand new out of the box. Had it not been for that, I would most likely be on an android platform right now. That said, I got the chance to play with my friends HTC One over the weekend. It's more amazing than anything I've seen Apple churn out so far.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

keykey posted:

I was looking at android phones last time when I upgraded because my 3gs died after 3 years. I checked out the skyrocket which was the best thing AT&T had to offer at the time, it locked up 3 times in 10 minutes, so they went in the back and grabbed a new one which locked up again brand new out of the box. Had it not been for that, I would most likely be on an android platform right now. That said, I got the chance to play with my friends HTC One over the weekend. It's more amazing than anything I've seen Apple churn out so far.

Your experience with Android phones is not at all typical of any modern Android device.

For anyone who is addicted to Jailbreaking or feels that your phone can't work correctly without it, yes, you should just go Android.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I keep thinking the same thing but then I remember all the apps I've paid for :smith:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jose Valasquez posted:

I keep thinking the same thing but then I remember all the apps I've paid for :smith:

Between that, my whole family and extended family being on iOS as well (iMessage / FaceTime) plus the huge iTunes collection of music / movies / TV shows I have collected through the years I'm not switching until the company collapses.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Why is there Android chat in an iOS thread?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
To be fair the biggest flaw about iPhones is the jailbreak process, they should sell a dev edition at double the price, it'll sell huge amounts, bam instant profit.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why is there Android chat in an iOS thread?

Because their faith isn't strong enough!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Sh4 posted:

To be fair the biggest flaw about iPhones is the jailbreak process, they should sell a dev edition at double the price, it'll sell huge amounts, bam instant profit.

Fragmentation - it'll never happen.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Without going into Android vs. iOS (sorry about that, Star Wars Sex Parrot!), has there ever been an explanation on why Apple turned so violently anti-jailbreak in the last few years?

I remember back in the 3G/3GS days that Apple didn't really give a poo poo about it, other than putting half-hearted patched out to block the most obvious exploits, and IIRC, app-piracy wasn't more of an issue.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Without going into Android vs. iOS (sorry about that, Star Wars Sex Parrot!), has there ever been an explanation on why Apple turned so violently anti-jailbreak in the last few years?

I remember back in the 3G/3GS days that Apple didn't really give a poo poo about it, other than putting half-hearted patched out to block the most obvious exploits, and IIRC, app-piracy wasn't more of an issue.
It's not really that they didn't care, it's that the exploit used to jailbreak was hardware based, meaning that no matter what software patches they pushed, hackers could still get their foot in the door through the hardware exploit.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

I think it's safe to say that Apple always cared about it. Jailbreaks have always been a security issue (usually when the phone is being jailbroken, it patched or asked you to patch the vulnerability), and now that the iPhone is being used for businesses, and has security clearance to be used for government purposes it's even more important that they crush jailbreaking.

It's unfortunate, but who knows if we'll get another nice entry into the hardware/software for future devices. I would've upgraded my AppleTV, but I need it jailbroken to be useful, so I'm stuck with my ATV2 no matter what future updates bring- unless xbmc or the likes will work on an unjailbroken one.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I'm running 5.1.1 on my 4s and my phone desperately needs a reset, however the entire phone is 100% dependent on google voice integration through Phone GV Extension & SMS GV Extension, I don't even know the phone's "real" number.

Am I completely utterly SOL? My phone crashes multiple times per week, it hangs, needs fairly regular reboots, etc. I'd honestly like to get out of the jailbreak market altogether if possible, but I doubt I can replicate the functionality.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

xie posted:

I'm running 5.1.1 on my 4s and my phone desperately needs a reset, however the entire phone is 100% dependent on google voice integration through Phone GV Extension & SMS GV Extension, I don't even know the phone's "real" number.

Am I completely utterly SOL? My phone crashes multiple times per week, it hangs, needs fairly regular reboots, etc. I'd honestly like to get out of the jailbreak market altogether if possible, but I doubt I can replicate the functionality.

Might be worth it to use iCleaner Pro to explore the added daemons and mobilesubstrate hooks for anything you don't need/use. Is it something that slowly started getting worse or were you crashing multiple times a week from the get-go?

And when you say crash, do you mean it brings up Safe mode? If it is this, there's a possibility there are log files somewhere in there which might at least give the name of the offending tweak.

Best of luck.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

xie posted:

Slowly remove jail broken packages and then test the phone. Find out what's giving you hassles then leave it out.

Also run that I cleaner pro as its awesome. You shouldn't have to restore.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

xie posted:

Good time to point out if you think your phone is hosed, use ILEX R.A.T to restore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-P88spPNw

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Good time to point out if you think your phone is hosed, use ILEX R.A.T to restore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-P88spPNw

Who are you and where have you been all my life

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Who are you and where have you been all my life

If there's one useful thing that's come out of Reddit, its r/jailbreak and r/iosthemes. I have learned a ton from them. Helps that the major developers (Ryan Petrich, Saurik, etc.) are regular community members.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Is there software that will allow me to transfer files to my jailbroken ipad?

My ipad is synced to my home computer (seriously, has Apple changed that yet? Or do I have to wipe my iPad to sync to my laptop?) and I'm at a hotel so I need something that can transfer through USB. Thanks!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Is there software that will allow me to transfer files to my jailbroken ipad?

My ipad is synced to my home computer (seriously, has Apple changed that yet? Or do I have to wipe my iPad to sync to my laptop?) and I'm at a hotel so I need something that can transfer through USB. Thanks!

Transfer what exactly? IFunBox should let you import just about anything to the deceive, no jailbreak needed.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Transfer what exactly? IFunBox should let you import just about anything to the deceive, no jailbreak needed.

Mkv files for playback in xbmc. I'll go ahead d try ifunbox, thanks.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a tweek or a modification that allows me to make one of my programs the default application? I want an extension like the one which makes Chrome my main browser.

Instead of Apple maps being the default, I wanted my Google maps to be the default.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Is there a tweek or a modification that allows me to make one of my programs the default application? I want an extension like the one which makes Chrome my main browser.

Instead of Apple maps being the default, I wanted my Google maps to be the default.

That's possible, but the name of the tweak escapes me. My phone is currently set to such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimillipede
Jul 17, 2006

obi_ant posted:

MapsOpener

• Locked thread