Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

While that is true, the main advantage of consulting an attorney is to determine if you have any case. Like here, he might talk to an attorney who will tell him that they haven't actually done anything they can be held liable for, and spare him the time in court. Or they might tell him there is actually a city ordinance against this sort of thing that comes with a statutory penalty. Unless you make a habit of suing people, a consultation is a valuable way to help you evaluate whether you actually want to pursue the matter, and what you might expect as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

While that is true, the main advantage of consulting an attorney is to determine if you have any case. Like here, he might talk to an attorney who will tell him that they haven't actually done anything they can be held liable for, and spare him the time in court. Or they might tell him there is actually a city ordinance against this sort of thing that comes with a statutory penalty. Unless you make a habit of suing people, a consultation is a valuable way to help you evaluate whether you actually want to pursue the matter, and what you might expect as a result.
To clarify, I wasn't saying "you shouldn't talk to a lawyer." I was saying "even if it's only over a few hundred dollars, don't let the cost of hiring a lawyer put you off of pursuing this, since it's entirely possible to do without one."

Consulting a lawyer on legal issues is pretty much always a good idea.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I have now been beat out for an apartment three times. I think I learned a lot from these apartment hunts, but mostly I learned that you gotta be fast and you gotta always be looking.

Well I'm gonna keep trying... Any tips on looking like a good tenant? I have no rental history so I think I need any help I can get.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I have now been beat out for an apartment three times. I think I learned a lot from these apartment hunts, but mostly I learned that you gotta be fast and you gotta always be looking.

Well I'm gonna keep trying... Any tips on looking like a good tenant? I have no rental history so I think I need any help I can get.
The best tip I can give you is to find a roommate with a good rental history. Also, a lot of places will accept a nonexistent rental history, then just charge you an extra deposit (usually last month's rent or something).

Apartment hunting is all about constantly looking, calling everyone that looks good, and jumping on anything you can find. Show up ten minutes early for open houses and such.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Jet Set Jettison posted:

You're in MA, right? beyond the basic stuff (good income:rent ratio, decent credit, not being a horrible person) it is a big deal to be able to turn in your application at the drop of a hat. My experience is that pretty much any agent/person in MA uses the same standard form (this one) so you should print it out, fill it in, and bring it with you - that way you can hand it to someone immediately. Also bring your checkbook for providing an application fee and deposit.

In GA we were able to do that look-and-think thing, but in MA it seems like you need to walk into a place and if it meets your 'need' list you have to beg for it on the spot. Other than that, just keep plugging away looking. If you are having trouble, try digging up as many agencies as you can and sending out requests to them. I hate agencies, they are thieves, but sometimes you've got to get them working for you.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ashcans posted:

You're in MA, right? beyond the basic stuff (good income:rent ratio, decent credit, not being a horrible person) it is a big deal to be able to turn in your application at the drop of a hat. My experience is that pretty much any agent/person in MA uses the same standard form (this one) so you should print it out, fill it in, and bring it with you - that way you can hand it to someone immediately. Also bring your checkbook for providing an application fee and deposit.

In GA we were able to do that look-and-think thing, but in MA it seems like you need to walk into a place and if it meets your 'need' list you have to beg for it on the spot. Other than that, just keep plugging away looking. If you are having trouble, try digging up as many agencies as you can and sending out requests to them. I hate agencies, they are thieves, but sometimes you've got to get them working for you.

I literally just used that form to apply for an apartment. Yeah if I like this place I'm dropping my check book on the table and paying for everything I need right there.

I'm going to type it out because my handwriting awful.

pants on head
Feb 4, 2012
I need some furniture arranging help. I am about to move into a new apartment. It has an awesome huge picture window in the living room. I don't want to put anything in front of the window to block it out. As you can see there are three entry points to manage in addition to that window. This leaves me with not a whole lot of places to put a couch or anything. The major options would be against the wall between corners 1 & 4 (see pictures), against the wall between corners 1 & 2, or sort of in the middle of the room either parallel or perpendicular to the picture window. Right now I have two couches (7'5" and 5'8" long, both about 3' wide) and both do not have to fit in this room. I also have some bookshelves but those are easier to place.

Some dimensions to help:

The picture window is 14.5" up from the ground. Not a lot of space to put anything and not block the handles for the casement parts. It's 8'4" wide in total. The window next down on the left wall is 3'2" wide and 1'11.5" off the ground.

Any ideas?

pants on head fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 28, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

What else are you trying to fit in this room (or what else do you have to put in it)? As in, is this going to be a TV room? Any other appliances you are putting in here? I notice that you have two outlets, one on the wall facing the picture window (looks like that is also your phone/cable outlet?) and the other on the left wall between the picture window and the smaller one. So if you are going to put in an entertainment center or whatever, that will control some of your options.

That little nook is really strange. It seems like it should be part of the room on the other side of the wall - I wonder what made them build it like that, especially with it's own little window. Do you have pets? Make that a pet nook.

pants on head
Feb 4, 2012

Ashcans posted:

What else are you trying to fit in this room (or what else do you have to put in it)? As in, is this going to be a TV room? Any other appliances you are putting in here? I notice that you have two outlets, one on the wall facing the picture window (looks like that is also your phone/cable outlet?) and the other on the left wall between the picture window and the smaller one. So if you are going to put in an entertainment center or whatever, that will control some of your options.

That little nook is really strange. It seems like it should be part of the room on the other side of the wall - I wonder what made them build it like that, especially with it's own little window. Do you have pets? Make that a pet nook.

Oh I should have put another two doors in there but I got lazy. The nook in the bottom left corner goes like this, counterclockwise: window, door to bedroom, door to attic, space. It's a tiny hallway more than a nook. I can't put anything there and I don't want to block the access to it. That's what I mean about too many entry points, there's one in 3 of the 4 corners.

What I'm trying to fit in the room is up the air. I guess what I want is advice on how to ideally set it up and then I'll work from there based on what I already have and can afford. I have: loveseat; 3 seater couch; coffee table 3'4" x 22"); 1 tall narrow bookshelf 16" x 11" x 6'8") ; 1 tall wider bookshelf (2'6" x 11" x 6'8"); round dining table 30"; two dining chairs (20" x 18"). Some, all, or none of that can be in this room. No TV at the moment but it is a possibility. It would be a small one 32-42" in any case, not gonna dominate the room. We probably wouldn't use the coax outlet (which yes is on the wall facing the window) in any case because we stream our shows. I don't have any friends in the area (hi metrowest MA goons) so probably I won't be using it for too much besides sitting around on a laptop maybe. The cat is going to enjoy the room the most I think.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Eggplant Wizard posted:

In addition to what I posted on the previous page, tell EVERYONE you know that you're looking to move to NYC. Post on LinkedIn. Post on Facebook and Twitter. Post in the SA LAN threads, even. Tell your friends' moms and your mom's friends. Chances are SOMEONE will know someone.

I just asked for you on my facebook because I know a lot of women in NYC. (You are a woman yeah?)

What's the SA LAN thread? I'm looking for a summer sublet in NYC, and at this point I'm convinced that nobody actually lives there besides the two scammers I've sent about a dozen emails each to.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Coca Koala posted:

What's the SA LAN thread? I'm looking for a summer sublet in NYC, and at this point I'm convinced that nobody actually lives there besides the two scammers I've sent about a dozen emails each to.

Might be helpful to see if you can find sub-let ads associated with some of the universities in NYC, like NYU, Columbia, or some of the CUNY schools like Hunters College and Queens College. Maybe a school newspaper or facebook page or something like that.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Question for you guys.

I'm moving into a new place in two months (live in NYC), and looking at the listing on the realty site that's hawking it they say its renovated. It has certainly not been renovated in a long time, everything (including the wood floors) is fairly beat up and was when we got here almost 3 years ago. I feel bad for anyone who gets suckered by this, especially cause I live right next to NYU and a lot of these college kids rent sight unseen. Anything I can/should do?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

pants on head posted:

What I'm trying to fit in the room is up the air. I guess what I want is advice on how to ideally set it up and then I'll work from there based on what I already have and can afford.

That's kind of a tricky question because so much depends on your style and budget... Maybe look into low furniture ala the Japanese sort of aesthetic? Or maybe just look for couches etc with lower profiles in general. Something lower than a typical overstuffed couch would block out the window less if you put it in front or in the middle of the room facing the window.

Coca Koala posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=241

Kingnothing posted:

Question for you guys.

I'm moving into a new place in two months (live in NYC), and looking at the listing on the realty site that's hawking it they say its renovated. It has certainly not been renovated in a long time, everything (including the wood floors) is fairly beat up and was when we got here almost 3 years ago. I feel bad for anyone who gets suckered by this, especially cause I live right next to NYU and a lot of these college kids rent sight unseen. Anything I can/should do?

I guess you can try to review it online somewhere, but I wouldn't do that till after you've got your deposit and everything. Unfortunately I think it may have to stick as a lesson to anyone considering renting sight unseen.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 22, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

pants on head posted:

What I'm trying to fit in the room is up the air. I guess what I want is advice on how to ideally set it up and then I'll work from there based on what I already have and can afford. I have: loveseat; 3 seater couch; coffee table 3'4" x 22"); 1 tall narrow bookshelf 16" x 11" x 6'8") ; 1 tall wider bookshelf (2'6" x 11" x 6'8"); round dining table 30"; two dining chairs (20" x 18"). Some, all, or none of that can be in this room. No TV at the moment but it is a possibility. It would be a small one 32-42" in any case, not gonna dominate the room. We probably wouldn't use the coax outlet (which yes is on the wall facing the window) in any case because we stream our shows. I don't have any friends in the area (hi metrowest MA goons) so probably I won't be using it for too much besides sitting around on a laptop maybe. The cat is going to enjoy the room the most I think.

If am understanding your floorplan, your bedroom is through Corner 1, the apartment entry is in Corner 3, and Corner 2 leads to a hallway with the rest of the apartment? I am assuming based on the pictures the door in Corner 2 is just a closet?

I think that the picture window is simply too low to put anything in front of except something like a beanbag chair (don't buy a beanbag chair) You could probably put a very low table there, maybe with some plants on, or a small cushion-thing for your cat to sit on and stare out the window. I wouldn't do more than that, though.

It seems to me that this is basically a room that you are going to be walking through a lot (from bedroom to hallway, hallway to front door, etc.) and relaxing in a bit, so if you aren't entertaining a ton of people I think it makes keep it a little sparse so it's easy to pass through. I would put one of your bookshelves in Corner 4 between the windows, and one of the couches facing the picture window, with the coffee table in front (if the big couch fits in that space, great, it's hard to judge on the drawing if it would be too tight). It's up to you if you put that couch actually against the wall between corners 1 & 2, or float it into the middle of the room - some people hate having a 'couch alley' like that, and other people prefer to keep the natural traffic paths in a room clear. Try both and see what you like.

Assuming you have space, put the table and chairs in the kitchen (I am guessing you don't have a dedicated dining room) and find somewhere else for the loveseat - not sure what the rest of your layout is like. If there is nowhere good for the loveseat, maybe put it between Corners 2 & 3, but I think that would interfere with traffic between the front door and hallway and crowd the room - besides, you already have some wall art up there that I think is neat and should remain unbothered. If you end up putting the loveseat in this room, then I think the main couch needs to be against the wall to square thins up properly.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I applied for an apartment yesterday, and took everyone's advice. I basically applied immediately after seeing everything. This took the guy by surprise, and he said "hey can you uh... fill out the application in the parking lot? I have another showing in about 2 minutes."

I brought a pre-filled out application, but he used a different form so we had to do it all over. This was fine, since we had all the info we needed right there. We filled out all the information while he did the showing. He came back and said "Pffft guess those people aren't getting the apartment."

I gave him all the info and everything and 5 minutes ago, I got an email saying my application is accepted :kimchi:.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have furniture to buy!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I applied for an apartment yesterday, and took everyone's advice. I basically applied immediately after seeing everything. This took the guy by surprise, and he said "hey can you uh... fill out the application in the parking lot? I have another showing in about 2 minutes."

I brought a pre-filled out application, but he used a different form so we had to do it all over. This was fine, since we had all the info we needed right there. We filled out all the information while he did the showing. He came back and said "Pffft guess those people aren't getting the apartment."

I gave him all the info and everything and 5 minutes ago, I got an email saying my application is accepted :kimchi:.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have furniture to buy!

Congrats! :)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm finally moving June 8th! I was supposed to move this weekend, but the current tenant decided to stick around longer than she said she would so my move got pushed back. I could've made an issue out of it, but I had a month of wiggle room anyway so I decided to just deal with it rather than start my lease with a fight with my landlord. The plus side is all the stores that sell moving supplies will have restocked by now after getting their stocks depleted by college kids moving home for the summer.

The movers I called to get an estimate are being total deadbeats and not returning my calls/emails, so I need to find another moving company :mad:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
How obnoxious is it to drive a moving truck? I'm thinking a Budget 10' truck. The trip is about 240 miles. I've never driven anything bigger than a pickup, and that only once.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eggplant Wizard posted:

How obnoxious is it to drive a moving truck? I'm thinking a Budget 10' truck. The trip is about 240 miles. I've never driven anything bigger than a pickup, and that only once.
It's really not that bad, unless there's inclement weather. There's a reason you don't need a commercial license for them.

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Are you planning to tow anything? If not, and if you stick to the highway/bigger roads, it's not bad at all. They're loud and slow but you get used to it fast. Don't expect to parallel park unless there's a ton of room. Watch out for low-hanging trees.

Now, rush hour on tiny Pittsburgh streets with my car on a trailer behind the truck, that was harrowing.

Handsome Rob fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 24, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, it depends where you are going to and from. We live in Boston and the only time we handled the truck ourselves it was a nightmare because of how the streets and traffic is here. In Atlanta? Sure, it would be fine.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Thanks everyone. Mostly I'm weirded out by not having a proper rearview mirror. I will have to go through a bunch of tolls and probably get gas in it, so please tell me if there's anything tricky there. Are they usually the same as cars for the tolls or is a 10' truck too big?

Ashcans posted:

Yea, it depends where you are going to and from. We live in Boston and the only time we handled the truck ourselves it was a nightmare because of how the streets and traffic is here. In Atlanta? Sure, it would be fine.

To this, yeah, the beginning and end will be on somewhat stupid roads, but nothing TOO small and windy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't cross any bridges that don't have enough clearance for a truck your height.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also, make sure you know the height of the truck, and don't go under anything too low for it.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Hmm... I don't think that should be a problem. Are there any tools you know of for figuring out if a route has problematic height restrictions? I won't be taking the usual way we go because it's got a lot of short bridges on it, but big interstate highways ought to be all right, yeah?

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
You're not as tall as an 18 wheeler, so you'll be find on the interstate.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bitchymcjones posted:

You're not as tall as an 18 wheeler, so you'll be find on the interstate.
Yeah, it's mostly the frontage roads, surface streets, and parking garages you need to be concerned about.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Thanks everyone. Mostly I'm weirded out by not having a proper rearview mirror. I will have to go through a bunch of tolls and probably get gas in it, so please tell me if there's anything tricky there.

Just make double sure what type of fuel it takes.

I'm 90% sure that the smaller, 10-15' ones, all just take regular unleaded gasoline, probably 87 octane, but there is the slim chance it's a diesel.

A question for the masses: I might be making a large, cross-country move soon-ish. I'm unemployed (:smith:), and applying to jobs all over the US, because there is basically nothing in my field where I live now, other than the job I left. I've never moved cross-country before. My largest move was just after college, and that was only about 150 miles, and I had much less stuff. The town I was moving to was close enough that I took a day to travel out there and look at several places before deciding on one, and handing over a check for the SD and first month's rent then and there...but cross-country, that's not possible, save spending a lot of money on plane tickets and rental car/cabs/whatever. How hard/annoying is it to get apartments "sigh unseen" and just going by pics and descriptions on the internet?

The other issue is how long should I expect the process to take? Like I said, I'm applying to jobs anywhere, but I have no idea what to tell them if they ask me "how soon can you start?" because I don't know how long to expect the entire "cross-country move process" to take, from finding a place, applying, getting a move in date, shipping stuff/driving what I can out there, etc...

John Kelly
Nov 19, 2004

I'm just sayin', I don't like fun
Taco Defender

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just make double sure what type of fuel it takes.

I'm 90% sure that the smaller, 10-15' ones, all just take regular unleaded gasoline, probably 87 octane, but there is the slim chance it's a diesel.

A question for the masses: I might be making a large, cross-country move soon-ish. I'm unemployed (:smith:), and applying to jobs all over the US, because there is basically nothing in my field where I live now, other than the job I left. I've never moved cross-country before. My largest move was just after college, and that was only about 150 miles, and I had much less stuff. The town I was moving to was close enough that I took a day to travel out there and look at several places before deciding on one, and handing over a check for the SD and first month's rent then and there...but cross-country, that's not possible, save spending a lot of money on plane tickets and rental car/cabs/whatever. How hard/annoying is it to get apartments "sigh unseen" and just going by pics and descriptions on the internet?

The other issue is how long should I expect the process to take? Like I said, I'm applying to jobs anywhere, but I have no idea what to tell them if they ask me "how soon can you start?" because I don't know how long to expect the entire "cross-country move process" to take, from finding a place, applying, getting a move in date, shipping stuff/driving what I can out there, etc...

I moved from Chicago to Houston a couple of years ago for a job right after college. It took two weeks to find a job, an apartment, connect utilities, and start the moving process on my stuff --all without being in Houston. All of this was covered by my job.

It was somewhat annoying getting a place without looking at it first. I looked through all the normal online means (Craigslist, Rent.com, etc) for apartments prices and the LAN: Your City Sucks forum here to figure out what areas I wanted to live in. In the end, I used an apartment location service to help find what I wanted and used what I found online as a guide. They were understanding of my situation and moved everything along accordingly.

There were some odd things about my apartment that would have been noticed if I visited before (like all the interior doors not fitting the door frame), but I've been in the same apartment for 3 years now so it was a good find for me.

I do think I was very lucky in finding a job that would pay for me to move and finding a decent apartment. That definitely help move the process along. Many of my friends took longer to move because their expenses weren't reimbursed by their work so they went months with their things in a different state.

If you get a job offer I would ask if they would reimburse you for moving to a new area. If they do offer reimbursement make sure to ask how long it takes to get your money back. It took me a little over a month but with my company that was extremely fast--I've heard it taking 6 months to get your money back.

John Kelly fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 24, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

DrBouvenstein posted:

How hard/annoying is it to get apartments "sigh unseen" and just going by pics and descriptions on the internet?

That's going to depend entirely on the area.

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib

DrBouvenstein posted:

How hard/annoying is it to get apartments "sigh unseen" and just going by pics and descriptions on the internet?

I've had so many surprises looking at places in person that I would never ever do this. Exceptions: if you're looking for a unit in a large complex, or if you can get someone reputable to find a place for you. Even if a trip to visit costs $600, that's $50 a month for the first year to make sure you're not living in an overpriced dump. Unless money is really tight it's worth it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Never, ever trust pictures online of apartments. If it's a big complex, they'll post pictures of their fancy model unit and their actual units could be pretty gross, and if it's an individual they can conveniently not photograph some areas that are a little questionable.

I moved cross-country for a job, I flew out for a couple days immediately after I got my offer to apartment hunt, flew back home, packed up my stuff, then moved permanently. I could set up all my utilities with the exception of my water long-distance via the internet and/or phone. If they fly you out there for an in-person interview, you'll probably have some time to kill between your flights and your interview so you could use that time to scope out some places. When I got my job offer, they included a big packet about the area and an apartment finder guide that was immensely helpful. If yours doesn't do that you can always ask the HR department of your interviewers about the housing market in the area. Usually a question that comes up when interviewing people from far away is "so how do you like the area/why do you want to move here?" and you can segue that into asking about where good/bad places to live are.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Not sure where else to ask, but...

I want to get a nice, big, comfortable leather couch.

What are some things I should be looking at to make sure I'm getting my money's worth other than "sit in it and see if you like it?"

Especially with respect to the leather.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I reserved my truck and sent an email out to parents who are going to help us move in when we get there :toot: My dad decided to come down here anyway and help drive up/move stuff at both ends. Hooray for parents! Moving Thursday. Already mostly packed except for stuff we're using like dishes and computers. I want to be done already though :f5:

Handsome Rob posted:

I've had so many surprises looking at places in person that I would never ever do this. Exceptions: if you're looking for a unit in a large complex, or if you can get someone reputable to find a place for you. Even if a trip to visit costs $600, that's $50 a month for the first year to make sure you're not living in an overpriced dump. Unless money is really tight it's worth it.

Yeah seconding this. I made two 8 hour round trips to go see apartments this time around, and the differences between pictures and reality was big, sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. We did actually end up going with one sight unseen, but only because we sent a relative to go look at it and take pictures, AND the rent is month-to-month so if we hate it oh wells we'll move again. We went up to see it recently and it's nice so :neckbeard: If you can find someone you trust to look at it, then fine.

My friend also did the sight-unseen thing recently. She already knows the area since she went to college there, and she went with a complex rather than an individual property. She was sure to ask for pictures of at least the actual type of unit since a lot of the time the pictures on websites will be of the biggest most luxurious models available. Getting a floor plan with measurements is good too. I guess we'll see how it works out for her when she gets there. It does help that where she's going (San Antonio TX) has a relatively easy apartment market compared to a place like NYC or Boston or the Bay Area.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Not sure where else to ask, but...

I want to get a nice, big, comfortable leather couch.

What are some things I should be looking at to make sure I'm getting my money's worth other than "sit in it and see if you like it?"

Especially with respect to the leather.

Leather is pretty much leather. If it's got some pattern indented into it, that means they used flawed hides and the pattern is there to hide the scars/brands that came on the hides but it doesn't mean that it's any lower quality construction-wise, it just less pretty. In a commercial non-custom piece of furniture the leather quality is going to be about the same across the board so I wouldn't really worry about it. If they try to sell you on some absurdly expensive ~exotic leather~ like ostrich or water buffalo claiming its better or more durable they're full of poo poo. If you're abusing your couch to the point you need leather as tough as water buffalo skin, you need to step back and re-evaluate your life. If you're concerned about the ethics of killing 5 or so cows for a piece of furniture, most leather suppliers get their hides from meat industry cows so they would've died anyway.

Make sure you get supplies to take care of your leather (cleaner, conditioner, etc) and it'll stay nicer for longer. If you keep it conditioned it won't crack and it'll get softer and comfier as time goes on. You can probably get these through a furniture store, otherwise plain old saddle soap will work. I use this stuff, it cleans and conditions at the same time and is super easy to use, just put a bit on a damp rag/sponge and rub it in.

Edit, thought of another thing to add:

Use the conditioner, but don't over condition it. The conditioner is really rough on the thread they use for the seams, so if you go crazy with it the thread will eventually come loose. Only condition it once every few months or so if it starts getting especially gross. Otherwise just use something like this for normal everyday cleaning.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 25, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, cheaper products will have more seams as they've pieced together smaller parts of hides, as opposed to large flawless pieces.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I don't if this applies to anyone else reading this thread, but if you live in Texas and are in the market for large appliances this weekend is a tax holiday on all Energy Star appliances.

Between Memorial Day sales and the tax holiday I got a nice washer and dryer set and saved about $400.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I don't if this applies to anyone else reading this thread, but if you live in Texas and are in the market for large appliances this weekend is a tax holiday on all Energy Star appliances.

YES. Going to buy a air conditioner for my dog house. God Bless Texas.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ohh boy, after months of living with my friend and his mother we finally paid the holding/credit check fee on a 2-bedroom detached house.

Things I learned while looking for a place to rent;

- Houses are expensive.
- The really nicely refurbished houses are always in the worst areas imaginable.
- Most agents are stupid, uninterested and completely unable to keep time.
- Places go FAST.

Browsing Zoopla or Rightmove was almost useless because every house we liked the look of was likely already gone, in the end the easiest thing was to make a day of visiting an agent or two and telling them what we needed and getting viewings that day if it was possible. Months of houses we hated or felt we could just about tolerate, and then finally one we felt happy with. We wasted so much time and petrol on viewings that weren't right for us at all because I guess agents tried to fob off the properties nobody wanted to us, but christ it was irritating! When we specify it has to be non-terraced, or it must be a landlord that allows pets, or it needs 2+ bedrooms, why would you waste everybody's time by taking us to places that don't meet those criteria?

Top tip: If you're trying to persuade someone to let to you when you have a dog, bring pictures of said dog on your phone but make all the pictures be of the dog sleeping or looking lazy as gently caress, comment how 'Heh it's so hard to get nice pictures of this dog because all she does is sleep'. It works!

I'm having fun imagining how I'm gonna make my bedroom look. I want a nature-y feel to it, houseplants and maybe tree silhouette transfers for a feature wall.. anybody know of some nice ways to decorate a room like that on the cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I'm signing my lease tonight, but the lease specifically says "The lease grants no rights to parking." Now this dude usually does apartments closer to the city where parking is limited, and sent me a couple of responses saying "I know parking is a sure-thing, that clause is in there for the city apartments. You won't have to sign a seperate agreement to get a parking space. There is plenty of parking."

Otherwise the lease looks fine, but I've brought up this issue with the broker. If I sign the lease, but keep a record of the broker saying "this parking is guaranteed" and I find out later its not, what do I do?

I really don't think it'll be an issue, because the apartment has TONS of parking. I'm asking just in case it is an issue.