Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Trip report: Very quick & easy to install. Doesn't really add a lot (though the plugins bit seems to suggest it opens the way for other people to add more new stuff?). Being able to change the shows/movies layout to a bigger grid is nice. Also noticed that when you select some local media to watch it the button's now "play: whatever.avi" rather than "play: //fileserver/directory/blah/whatever.avi" which is nice if you've OCD'd your filing system like I have.

But yeah, doesn't seem to be any good reason not to install it.

edit: actually, I can't seem to shut it down now. If I select "shut down" from the menu it reboots immediately.

FreakyZoid fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

All I want is a shutdown button on the top right of each screen. gently caress having to back out like 6 menus just to turn off.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

After a couple of days of use, I don't think it is any faster. Not noticeably so. I have found it's got a nice feature of being able to automatically highlight the next unwatched episode of a TV show though, which saves a lot of scrolling if you're working your way through something.

Also the shutdown problem I was having seems to have gone away.

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008
So I was about to go with a Boxee Box (I'm new to this)... but now with all of these new Android devices and such, I just don't know. Here's what I want:

- No streaming of local media over wifi. Want to plug in an external HD directly.
- XBMC or similar type of interface (scraped info)
- Ability to play any type of file. Ripped Bluray MKVs, MP4, Avi, etc.
- Netflix is nice but not a must. I have a PS3 as well.

Go with one of the new Android devices?

Thanks!

dowdy_pants fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 6, 2013

iceslice
May 20, 2005

jonathan posted:

I was going to order a Zotsc ad12 tomorrow and then toss Boxee in the fireplace. If there's hope for xbmc on the shitbox maybe I'll keep it.

I did this months ago. Stop living the lie that this poo poo is going to get better somehow and just get a Zotac or Foxconn.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
- No streaming of local media over wifi. Want to plug in an external HD directly.
* Check
* Check
* Check
* Has Netflix but no Hulu

* I don't know anything about the new android devices. In my own experience the last firmware update only crippled my Boxee to make it slower and it will not power down with the remote any more. The design of the box while cute lends itself to being hard to place with other components. I think just about everything else at this point is cheaper than the boxee.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I thought the original Boxee Box was discontinued quite awhile ago, now we have the craptacular Boxee TV DVR.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dowdy_pants posted:

So I was about to go with a Boxee Box (I'm new to this)... but now with all of these new Android devices and such, I just don't know. Here's what I want:

Thanks!

boxee box will do all of this, and now that its been cracked probably more later. Boxee TV on the other hand, will not.

for the file types, you can play files that havent been unpacked from rar.00s. Thats how smart the file support is. boggles my mind.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Citycop posted:

* Check
* Check
* Check
* Has Netflix but no Hulu

* I don't know anything about the new android devices. In my own experience the last firmware update only crippled my Boxee to make it slower and it will not power down with the remote any more. The design of the box while cute lends itself to being hard to place with other components. I think just about everything else at this point is cheaper than the boxee.

Have you looked at wdtv live?

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

Maneki Neko posted:

Have you looked at wdtv live?

My boxee still works.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
it'd be really rad if this could be the thing to replace my boxee box some day:
http://kotaku.com/5973986/here-we-go-valve+supported-computer-hardware-will-be-shown-off-tonight

I would hope that if they start selling a hardware device that can play games through Steam they also figure out a way to have it stream local content.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

MMD3 posted:

it'd be really rad if this could be the thing to replace my boxee box some day:
http://kotaku.com/5973986/here-we-go-valve+supported-computer-hardware-will-be-shown-off-tonight

I would hope that if they start selling a hardware device that can play games through Steam they also figure out a way to have it stream local content.

Everyone is expecting this to be Valve branded PC hardware running some form of Linux that boots straight to Steam's big picture mode, so you'll almost certainly be able to install XBMC on it.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
I'm really hoping something like this takes off: http://www.pivosgroup.com/xios.html

I think my only real problem with boxee these days is it has a somewhat small buffer for streaming video from my NAS over wireless.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
That Pivos thing looked interesting until I watched a YouTube video of it booting up. It took literally a few minutes to boot.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

wolfbiker posted:

That Pivos thing looked interesting until I watched a YouTube video of it booting up. It took literally a few minutes to boot.

Wow, I just checked, 1:40s to boot, man I guess I'll find some other device to drool over.. maybe they'll work something out to speed that up. Do all android devices take this long to boot?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Why turn them off?

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
I can hear Boxee Box across the room. What's nice is holding the power button for 3 seconds is the only way to turn it off aside from unplugging it since the power button in the UI doesn't turn it of 90% off the time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Leaf Lock posted:

I can hear Boxee Box across the room. What's nice is holding the power button for 3 seconds is the only way to turn it off aside from unplugging it since the power button in the UI doesn't turn it of 90% off the time.

This kills me. I always have to hold the power button because the UI button rarely works...why is that?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BonoMan posted:

This kills me. I always have to hold the power button because the UI button rarely works...why is that?

Can't make power button work when you're too busy trying to make money off your product by adding silly features.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Boxee has no other means of making money other than through sales through the box.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah, so instead of major bug fixes, they went on to make a tv tuner, and then another handicapped box.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Boxee thread update!

featured videos are now recycling with stuff we already saw a month or two ago!

Facebook video feed has finally started working again after nearly 6 months!

I havent found time to install boxee plus yet :(

Question: how are you guys configuring your logitech harmony remotes to use boxee?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Laserface posted:

Boxee thread update!

Question: how are you guys configuring your logitech harmony remotes to use boxee?

I use one of these with my Harmony remote:
http://twistedmelon.com/mira/hardware.html

Then I just set up the boxee box as a media pc, can't remember if I used a specific one or not but there is some info on the boxee forums. I was get the navigate buttons working, pause/play, and I think like music/movies buttons setup or something. I definitely couldn't get everything I wanted but I got enough to make it worthwhile. especially important after my girlfriend lost my boxee remote and now I can't find a place to buy a replacement :cry:

oh, just found the button mapping legend I used
http://www.jesseweb.com/wordpress/?p=881

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I used this with boxee. $5 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-PC...=item35c38a8867

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MMD3 posted:

especially important after my girlfriend lost my boxee remote and now I can't find a place to buy a replacement :cry:

oh, just found the button mapping legend I used
http://www.jesseweb.com/wordpress/?p=881

ebay has recplacements.

I bought the Manta thing but wish i had have seen that other one for $5. fiddlesticks.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Is there a megathread somewhere I've missed where folks argue the relative merits of the boxee vs roku vs google tv vs apple tv, etc?

Yummers
Mar 5, 2011

if you like my car STEP OFF BITCH I HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU

also ask me about shapnel wounds

Laserface posted:

Boxee thread update!

I finally got around to installing boxee+ (v1.4.1) and overall I'm happy with the experience. That's all i really have to say about that...I mean, I use it to watch local content and Netflix and I very rarely use it for any of the other features. It's been a month and general operation is noticeably more stable than before with only one hangup during a .mkv pause-resume which required a manual reset. I've been using an app for my Android phone called Boxee Thumb Remote and it's pretty much the perfect replacement. I may try programming my Harmony for Boxee this weekend, but you should try a Boxee app and control it from your phone if you have that opportunity!

...And here's a link to the app in the Android market.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.evendanan.android.thumbremote

Yummers fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 19, 2013

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have the boxee apps on phone/iPad but getting the harmony working is a better solution. Everything electronic in my living room is supported but the boxee until my manta arrives.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

pr0k posted:

Is there a megathread somewhere I've missed where folks argue the relative merits of the boxee vs roku vs google tv vs apple tv, etc?

Boxee is hot garbage, AppleTV is great (though the current one doesn't have a jailbreak), Roku is a little less slick but cheaper than AppleTV, GoogleTV will never have its poo poo together.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How is the NHL Game Center app on Boxee?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So I am reading boxeeplus website, considering spending my day off installing it.

From the way it reads, it looks like this doesnt actually change the software on the boxee at all, and just boots off the USB?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Laserface posted:

So I am reading boxeeplus website, considering spending my day off installing it.

From the way it reads, it looks like this doesnt actually change the software on the boxee at all, and just boots off the USB?
It 'upgrades' the software on the boxee. You just install it off the USB.

And it shouldn't take a whole day off. It took me like 20 minutes or so. I've been on it for about a month, and I haven't run into any major bugs.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ah ok. Don't expect it to take long, it's finding the time when my girlfriend won't want to use it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
http://old-blog.boxee.tv/2013/01/20/january-flash-11-update/

What's the likelihood that this will apply to the BoxeeBox, and not just the new one? Also, will the boxee+ mess up future updates?

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Laserface posted:

Ah ok. Don't expect it to take long, it's finding the time when my girlfriend won't want to use it.

You may need to reset Netflix data, it's an option in settings, upgrade borked my Netflix until I did it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

deong posted:

http://old-blog.boxee.tv/2013/01/20/january-flash-11-update/

What's the likelihood that this will apply to the BoxeeBox, and not just the new one? Also, will the boxee+ mess up future updates?

It is talking about boxee box.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Installed boxee plus but now I can't enable the default shows and movies buttons no matter what settings I use. Anyone come across this?

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

So what's next after Boxee Box for those of us with a big media library? I've been waiting to hear about codec support on the Xbox One and PS4. All's quiet on the Steam Box front, but that sounded promising too.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I went for a Zotac AD10 and XBMC. So much happier with it than the BB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Linkletter posted:

So what's next after Boxee Box for those of us with a big media library? I've been waiting to hear about codec support on the Xbox One and PS4. All's quiet on the Steam Box front, but that sounded promising too.

I'm waiting to hear some more stories from Ouya owners as well on how good of a job it's doing with XBMC, this guy demo's streaming 1080p files via wired ethernet off a server here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78XQHex71kg

starts around 2:45, looks promising.

• Locked thread