Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Hey now, we can't keep mentioning shipping in relation the Gunnerkrigg without at least passing mention to one of the best pages on the site:-

http://gunnerkrigg.com/zimmy.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I don't see why anyone's worried, we already know Kat fancies birds :v:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Today was a really bad day to check the Gunnerkrigg Court tag on tumblr.

It's a cute/awkward adolescent love story. That's it. I wish people could just leave it at that instead of it completely washing out every other aspect of the comic. Nope, gotta be creepy.

Daius posted:

Hey now, we can't keep mentioning shipping in relation the Gunnerkrigg without at least passing mention to one of the best pages on the site:-

I'd forgotten about that. It's perfect.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Brightman posted:

One possible outcome I could see is Kat just fainting, but the hand being jerked away seems to be the more likely thing to happen given the setup. Most likely it'll switch back to Annie or say...Jones (why not?)

Jones, Mort and Bud go on an adventure! :swoon:

Yep, I'd read something like that. Jones mostly tags along to carry Bud's bucket.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Blackheart posted:

Jones, Mort and Bud go on an adventure! :swoon:

Yep, I'd read something like that. Jones mostly tags along to carry Bud's bucket.

I'd pay to read a chapter of that, no lie. Don't even care what the adventure is.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brightman posted:

I'd pay to read a chapter of that, no lie. Don't even care what the adventure is.

A crab, a ghost, and the embodiment of the rational observer walk into a bar.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Phy posted:

Only one of them has any reason to say 'ouch'.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Daius posted:

This is the first time I've seen this. What's it all about?

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

This is the first time I've seen this. What's it all about?

It's part of Tom's little comment for this page - http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=469

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Brainamp posted:

Wasn't there an episode of that show that had them reading something akin to that poo poo and being really freaked out by it?

I think it was a running plot. The concept is introduced through a novelist divinely inspired to write their story. The guys freak out when even the private stuff they did like killing a demon in an alley is in this series of popular books. Later they go to investigate a haunted house only to find that Supernaturalcon is being thrown there. There's a LARP event in the middle of their actual investigation and they keep running into a lanky Dean and fat Sam that are overacting caricatures of themselves. In the last scene they're talking to the fake Winchesters who reveal that they're actually a gay couple. They find it unsettling.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
gently caress it, lets analyze!

The thing about Kat is she doesn't avoid problems. Annie ran to the forest and quite literally burned bridges when things got bad. In contrast, Kat builds anti-grav vehicles and punches guides. I mean, she hasn't faced anything quite so devastating as Annie has, but she was never one to shy away from difficulty.

However, Kat is incredibly, incredibly self-conscious. I guess it couldn't be more obvious when it manifested as a pigeon on her head. Especially since she desperately wants to know what Annie thinks of her. But most of Kat's social interactions revolve around her self-image, and how she presents herself to her peers. Whether its that conspicuous hair thingie, or trying to get made up for Alistair.

So I don't think Kat's going to run away here. It's not in her nature, even if what she really needs is some space to think. But this whole thing carries baggage about her self-image as a girl, and it pokes at Kat's greatest vulnerability, what she thinks her friends think of her.

So yeah, still a toss up. Either her rather excellent empathy and diplomacy kicks in and this gets resolved quite sweetly, or she feels cornered and lashes out with a bitter side hinted at when Annie got sick.

(Please don't break Paz's heart. I couldn't take it. :smith:)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I think if she were to run off it'd only be due to panic.

YamiB.
Nov 5, 2009
I feel kind of dumb that I'm having difficulties, but I can't seem to donate the comic. After I have put in all of my other information it keeps asking me for a county in the UK. If I leave it blank it asks me to put in a county. What exactly am I doing wrong in this process?

I'm going to agree that these last couple of updates have been adorable and I'm expecting it to take a turn for the depressing.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Phy posted:

BudBill Bailey would happily remind you that there are actually 4 people in the classic pub joke, the 4th being a Welshman who's been there the entire time but simply says "hello" at the beginning and takes no further part in the routine. :colbert:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Tune in Monday for heartbreak!

e: Or even better, a cut to a different scene.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

It's the perfect time for a Mort comic. (which is every time, but now more than ever)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Second to last panel had me tripping for a little bit. "What the hell is with her hands?!"

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Monday's comic:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Absolutely no one wanted to see this

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Perrine, you are a bad person.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Just what I needed to see at the end of the day, violent gay bashing in a thread about a comic for children.

gently caress off.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
I didn't know Orson Card did GKC fanart.

also you are terrible and should feel terrible

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, the alternative was a shipping picture probably from tumblr:

But it seemed less relevant to the discussion at hand. I do find it highly unlikely that we'll continue this scene on Monday. We'll cut to some other thing happening somewhere else, the action getting closer and closer to Kat and Paz's location. When we finally break into the scene, they'll have some awkward glances and nothing will be said about this for months.

And then the comic will continue as normal, including the very occasional glances at Paz in the background. It will never be touched on again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So is this the other violent extreme of the Chibisoma curve?

Also did you believe this would end well for you?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey guys, I think he was just showing us some pictures made by crazy people on the internet, not necessarily endorsing them. Just a hunch.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SHISHKABOB posted:

Hey guys, I think he was just showing us some pictures made by crazy people on the internet, not necessarily endorsing them. Just a hunch.

Don't tell them that, make them look at the two previous posts I made in the thread where I made a fool of myself, hoping for Paz and Kat to be a thing. Or at least for things to go well for Paz.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Well, the alternative was a shipping picture probably from tumblr:

Actually I think the alternative may have been not posting anything from tumblr in the first place.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Daius posted:

Actually I think the alternative may have been not posting anything from tumblr in the first place.

You can see how well that turned out.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

SHISHKABOB posted:

There is a protocol for this sort of thing. Just like you do not casually quote freep outside of the freeper concentration thread.

ok :colbert:

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
I personally hoped I'd be spared of such pictures in this thread. I already unfollowed a tumblr that posted shipping fanart.

And yeah, I too was thinking Paz and Kat would happen, but it was because the storyline has been unfolding that way, and Tom has done it in an adorable and thoughtful manner. Not because I ship characters or want to make snap-judgment predictions about the comic.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rasamune posted:

This chick's a religious icon now; are you absolutely certain you want your rear end canonized

I swear it is taking every ounce of self control I have not to joke about this sentence.

YamiB. posted:

I feel kind of dumb that I'm having difficulties, but I can't seem to donate the comic. After I have put in all of my other information it keeps asking me for a county in the UK. If I leave it blank it asks me to put in a county. What exactly am I doing wrong in this process?

I'm going to agree that these last couple of updates have been adorable and I'm expecting it to take a turn for the depressing.

Did you try and just put in a random/fake county? Like Wessex or North Lothian or something? or maybe put in your state if you are in the US?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Huh. So that's how it works, huh? I knew there was an Essex, but I didn't know about Wessex, Sussex, or Middlesex.

I guess no-one wanted to live in Nossex?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phy posted:

I guess no-one wanted to live in Nossex?

...We're having fine weather here, thank you very much.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Poe's Law is a pretty cool thing that more people should pay attention to, especially people who post things that might get others riled up!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Podima posted:

Poe's Law is a pretty cool thing that more people should pay attention to, especially people who post things that might get others riled up!

A smug post!
The smuggest post!

(:3:)

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Podima posted:

If there is one thing I have learned from these forums since I registered, it is that the phrase "no one would actually be stupid enough to-" is very rarely actually true.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The avatar / text / post combo was too perfect there :allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Well, a reverse GIS gets no results, so it's at least plausible that he just likes riling up the thread. Which was pretty clear either way, I guess.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I recall that the Triestise had clues to the progression of the story hidden in them, so upon getting the Friday cliffhanger and seeing parallels to my own life, I decided to consult said Triestise to divine any direction the comic will go in.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I do wonder if Kat might actually blow up at Paz. She's been worried about how others see her and this is the opposite of what she wanted or thought could even happen, she's in a place where she really does not know what to do. If she's wanting to escape, if the wrong neurons misfire, even if she tries to put Paz down gently but makes a mistake. she could end up doing something that makes Paz thinks Kat's mad at her and leave both of them feeling terrible. Paz has misunderstood Kat before in a similar manner (thinking Kat's compliments were for flirting). It would be sort of like Annie's blow up at Mort with the blinker stone - and that would be interesting, because Kat couldn't understand why Annie would react that way.