Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nimper posted:

They actually did this? :wtc:
It's SGH-I337, as in the letter "I", not the number "1". But otherwise, yes they did.

Mishra posted:

Also I'm on AT&T and still grandfathered into unlimited data, I've heard rumors that they can tell if you tether and they've tossed people off unlimited data and into their crappy tethering plan.
Yes they can tell when you tether. And yes, there were first-hand reports of folks getting unlimited revoked and/or saddled with a tethering plan in the AT&T thread. I suppose they could've been fibbing, I'm not an AT&T user myself, but it's a bit more credible than rumor anyways.

Mishra posted:

Is this just BS to scare people away from rooting their phones?
It doesn't really have to do with root, given that you can take a stock, unlocked N4, throw in an AT&T SIM and tether all night and day. There's also ways to tether branded devices without rooting. It's entirely possible to detect tethering from network traffic alone, so the device doesn't really matter. Also, there's "undetectable tether" apps, but I find the claim that they're undetectable to be dubious. If you have grandfathered unlimited data, it's not worth the risk.

Mishra posted:

Seems to work just fine so far I just can't figure out how to enable root user access to apps already on the phone.
That's not really how it works. Apps have to be written to make use of superuser. Google wallet is something else entirely, I don't know how to make use of it on AT&T devices, but having root is probably a prerequisite for making it work, so you're at least that far.

Subterfrugal posted:

Is there any reason why one rom will get drastically better 4G connectivity?
Source-built ROMs like CM/AOSP traditionally have an uphill battle on CDMA/LTE or, hell, any LTE device. It's true that signal reporting is often different and there may be no actual underlying problem. But if you know you're having connectivity issues otherwise, it's probably that the device has RIL support bugs that the maintainer has yet to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So maybe I'm just stupid but I cannot figure out what exactly I'm supposed to do to enable native USB tethering in CM10 on Windows 7. I have the driver for my phone installed (Evo 3D), I connect my phone, enable USB tethering, and what next? Apparently my google-fu is lacking because all I can find are posts about tethering not working for one reason or another, not how to set it up in the first place.

Running dastins CM10.1 if that helps. I haven't seen any complaints about it not working in the thread, but I only really skimmed it. Woo hoo for trying to run CM on a unsupported device!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

So maybe I'm just stupid but I cannot figure out what exactly I'm supposed to do to enable native USB tethering in CM10 on Windows 7.
For Windows 7 it's essentially plug and play.

FlyingCheese posted:

Woo hoo for trying to run CM on a unsupported device!
Likely the problem.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For Windows 7 it's essentially plug and play.

Likely the problem.

I figured as much. I would assume a device is supposed to pop up in the Network Connections window, correct?

Sad thing is, I'm considering an S4 next. I'd love to go Nexus but I can't give up unlimited data on Sprint and an SD card slot. I just hope there won't be nearly as many headaches this time around.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

I would assume a device is supposed to pop up in the Network Connections window, correct?
Yes.

FlyingCheese posted:

Sad thing is, I'm considering an S4 next.
The Sprint SGS3 has pretty decent CM 10.1 support, it's really unlike the Evo 3D. The SGS4 is still in the "warm up" phase, but it's a very similar device to the SGS3 support wise and has the same folks working on it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a Nexus 4 with the CM10.1 nightly from the 23rd, and I've ju noticed that Lightflow has stopped controlling the LED (and possibly sounds and vibrations too; I haven't been paying much attention). Why would this be? I've gone on and even the test all notifications doesn't work.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

hooah posted:

I have a Nexus 4 with the CM10.1 nightly from the 23rd, and I've ju noticed that Lightflow has stopped controlling the LED (and possibly sounds and vibrations too; I haven't been paying much attention). Why would this be? I've gone on and even the test all notifications doesn't work.

I don't think it's the first time a nightly has broken lightflow. Try wiping data or doing a reinstall/both.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
For some reason I can't install the latest cm10.1 nightly for my att galaxy s3, I cant only get up to RC2 (cm-10.1.0-RC2-d2att.zip ), I am getting status 7 errors in TWRP with anything newer than that. I even installed the latest gapps from goo.im. Any suggestions?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

madkapitolist posted:

For some reason I can't install the latest cm10.1 nightly for my att galaxy s3, I cant only get up to RC2 (cm-10.1.0-RC2-d2att.zip ), I am getting status 7 errors in TWRP with anything newer than that. I even installed the latest gapps from goo.im. Any suggestions?

You have to update the firmware on your device because you're still on ICS firmware. CM10.1 made it mandatory because I guess the old firmware breaks poo poo. You'll have to browse around XDA for the firmware or flash back to stock.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there a good guide out there on how to root a Nexus 7? The OP just has phone stuff and looking for guides online turns up a whole lot of stuff that I don't particularly trust.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
e: nm, figured it out.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 25, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

VDay posted:

Is there a good guide out there on how to root a Nexus 7? The OP just has phone stuff and looking for guides online turns up a whole lot of stuff that I don't particularly trust.
fastboot oem unlock

fastboot flash recovery [recovery.filename]

Boot to recovery, flash your superuser.zip.

Done.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you don't know how to set up fastboot you can follow the guide I wrote here. I wrote it for the GNex but rooting a N7 (or any other Nexus) works exactly the same way except for getting the right recovery for your device.

Edit: You also don't need to flash the stock image in this case since you're already on it.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 25, 2013

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

fastboot oem unlock

fastboot flash recovery [recovery.filename]

Boot to recovery, flash your superuser.zip.

Done.

That ignores where to get the recovery and superuser, and how to get fastboot working and how to use it. Also don't you need to flash a boot loader? Someone asking for a simple guide might not know all of these things in advance.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That ignores where to get the recovery and superuser, and how to get fastboot working and how to use it. Also don't you need to flash a boot loader? Someone asking for a simple guide might not know all of these things in advance.
I was on my phone at work.

ClockworkMod now asks you if you want to have Superuser installed as soon as you boot into it the first time without being rooted.

And no, you don't need to flash a bootloader on a Nexus.

But for the full process and since I'm here and doing nothing:
  • Install ADB
  • If you're on Windows you'll need the universal ADB driver but if you're on a non-poo poo OS then it will Just Work®
  • Place the recovery image in your ADB/platform_tools folder
  • Open a Terminal/CMD prompt at your ADB/platform_tools folder
  • Boot your device to the bootloader (varies by device) and connect the USB to your computer
  • In your Terminal/CMD prompt, type
    code:
    fastboot devices
    If you get a response of a serial number, you have successfully installed the driver and connected to the device
  • Type
    code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    and follow the instructions on the device
  • Return to the bootloader and type
    code:
    fastboot flash recovery filename_of_the_recovery_you_downloaded.img
  • Using the volume keys and the prompts on the screen, enter recovery. Assuming you have a new enough build it will offer to root the device when you select Reboot device but that's only in version 6.0.3.2. If the your device has a lower build number than that you can either place this zip into the platform_tools folder and sideload by selecting it in recovery then typing
    code:
    adb sideload superuser.zip
    or rebooting, moving it into internal storage, then flashing it in recovery using the option there, or using the recovery builder linked above to generate a 6.0.3.2 version of the recovery to use in lieu of the prebuilt ones I linked in this list.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Trying to fix a dropped cell signal problem I've been having with CM 10.1 nightlies on my Nexus 4, I rolled back to a release candidate. For the first time, I chose to let Google re-install everything, instead of using Titanium Backup. However, after a few dozen apps, I got 920 errors for everything else. This persists through reboots and clearing cache and data for the store. What gives?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Trying to fix a dropped cell signal problem I've been having with CM 10.1 nightlies on my Nexus 4, I rolled back to a release candidate. For the first time, I chose to let Google re-install everything, instead of using Titanium Backup. However, after a few dozen apps, I got 920 errors for everything else. This persists through reboots and clearing cache and data for the store. What gives?
That happens to me every other time I let Google reinstall everything.

Why did you wipe? You know to roll back you could've just flashed the RC right over top.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

That happens to me every other time I let Google reinstall everything.

Why did you wipe? You know to roll back you could've just flashed the RC right over top.

That's what I'm going to try after restoring my nandroid. I just thought it might be good to try something drastic.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yes they can tell when you tether. And yes, there were first-hand reports of folks getting unlimited revoked and/or saddled with a tethering plan in the AT&T thread. I suppose they could've been fibbing, I'm not an AT&T user myself, but it's a bit more credible than rumor anyways.

I'm willing to bet it has to do with how much data you download via tethering, and not necessarily how often you tether. I've had an unlimited data plan w/ AT&T since the iPhone 3G came out, and have been tethering on a regular basis for as long with no mention of it from AT&T. I just use it for smaller stuff, like work and school.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer
I think I bricked my Kindle Fire 2nd Gen (non HD.) I rooted it and got it so I could use recovery mode to load TWRP but hosed up backing things up and deleted the OS to the point where I could only load TWRP with a factory cable using fastboot.

After many power cycles trying to put everything back together it suddenly stops powering up. No LED light when plugged into an AC to USB wall charger or into a USB port on my PC. I tried holding the power button down for 20+ seconds and then 2 seconds per Amazon's support page. It still will not power on or show any LED indicators.

Amazon tech support comped me $19.99 for the Official Wall Charger claiming that might fix things but I seriously doubt it. That should arrive in a few days.

Basically I'm asking:
  • Am I retarded and is there something I'm missing? Can I crack open the case an reroute the encryptions or something?
  • Since it won't power on can Amazon detect my fuckery if I end up sending it back to them?

Thanks for any help or insight!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey, so I'm a complete and utter noob, and I could use some help. For a variety of reasons (including the fact that it recently started crashing a lot), I decided to check whether there were any newer versions of my OS. This is an HTC Desire HD given to me by my sister already rooted with CM 7something on it. What steps should I undertake to update?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
What's the best custom ROM (battery life, performance, limited bloat) for Touchwiz on the S3 right now? Still Jelly Beans?

Professor Genki
Feb 13, 2012

Would you like a reality climax?

Dancer posted:

Hey, so I'm a complete and utter noob, and I could use some help. For a variety of reasons (including the fact that it recently started crashing a lot), I decided to check whether there were any newer versions of my OS. This is an HTC Desire HD given to me by my sister already rooted with CM 7something on it. What steps should I undertake to update?

Just migrated to a GNex from DHD.

1. Download a ROM from xda-developers (preferably CodefireX)
2. Download the relevant gapps package (it should tell you in the forum post)
3. Put both zips on the root of the SD card.
4. Make sure you have >1GB of free space on the SD card after this.
5. Reboot the phone into recovery. There should be an option in the reboot menu. Failing this, turn the phone off. Hold the volume down and press power. Give it about 20 seconds and it'll scroll some stuff on the screen. Use the voume down button to scroll to 'RECOVERY'. Press the power button to select recovery. I'm not sure what version it'll have but the process is roughly similar.
6. Scroll down (using the vol +/- and power to select) to the backups menu and take a backup. THIS IS IMPORTANT.
7. Once that's done (it'll take a few minutes), go back to the main manu and find the option that's like "wipe data/factory reset". Activate it.
8. Then clear the cache/dalvik cache.
9. Then go to the top menu and selection the option for installing a zip from the sdcard. Find the codefireX zip and select it. It'll take a few minutes to install. Once that's done, do the same but with the gapps zip.
10. Reboot your phone. It could take up to 15 minutes to boot up.

And you're done!

Come back if you have problems, or PM me, or ask on xda-developers.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

UncleGuito posted:

What's the best custom ROM (battery life, performance, limited bloat) for Touchwiz on the S3 right now? Still Jelly Beans?

Give a good look at CleanROM. The AROMA installer lets you exclude tons of poo poo to make things quite livable and perform well.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Professor Genki posted:

Just migrated to a GNex from DHD

Why would you do that?

Professor Genki
Feb 13, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

Why would you do that?

Bigger, higher resolution screen, faster CPU, more ROMS, more RAM, better GPU, update support for Android 5.0+.

Why wouldn't I? The only advantage of the DHD was the build quality, and camera (which my DSLR is for). Sense is a bloatfest and so I was using stock Android any way.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Professor Genki posted:

Bigger, higher resolution screen, faster CPU, more ROMS, more RAM, better GPU, update support for Android 5.0+.

Why wouldn't I? The only advantage of the DHD was the build quality, and camera (which my DSLR is for). Sense is a bloatfest and so I was using stock Android any way.

Sorry I read that backwards and thought you went TO the DHD.

Professor Genki
Feb 13, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

Sorry I read that backwards and thought you went TO the DHD.

Oh, well then. I'd still use a DHD, it's a solid phone.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I was using Jellytime for DHD up until march when I got my s3. It was cm10-based and rock solid.

Edit: miss mine a lot in feel/looks ways compared to this thing that came out of the same economolder 5000 that TV remotes do.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 29, 2013

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

So I think I messed my VZW S3 up big time.

I flashed an update to KT747 kernel last night and when it finished, my IMEI was gone (was listed as '0' in phone info) and I couldn't get any connection to verizon. I also didn't make a backup of it since I didn't know about this stuff when switching from the iPhone. I attempted to use Odin to flash the stock ROM but that didn't restore the IMEI. Once on the stock ROM, I used EFS Pro to try to force change the IMEI to the one listed on the inside of the battery. After that, I can get roaming voice and text but it still won't recognize the carrier. When I dial *#06#, an IMEI shows, but it's missing the last digit.

Any ideas?

I was trying to follow this guide but I can't find any other links to download the XDA Samsung Repair Utility.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 29, 2013

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I posted some links way earlier in this thread that might help out.
I believe that I had to use the Samsung utility to flash back to stock, 4.1.1, not 4.1.2.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Dyscrasia posted:

I posted some links way earlier in this thread that might help out.
I believe that I had to use the Samsung utility to flash back to stock, 4.1.1, not 4.1.2.

I wasn't able to find a download for that Samsung tool- looks like the original thread with attachments was removed from XDA.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

UncleGuito posted:

I wasn't able to find a download for that Samsung tool- looks like the original thread with attachments was removed from XDA.

Ah, so your right, that's lovely.

droidmodderx.com/galaxys3/?page_id=79

This is another one I tried, but i was unable to get the drivers working properly.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Dyscrasia posted:

Ah, so your right, that's lovely.

droidmodderx.com/galaxys3/?page_id=79

This is another one I tried, but i was unable to get the drivers working properly.

Tried that and got the IMEI to stick but the ERI is still blank. When I goto the EFS folder in File Manager, there's no nv_data file. If I flash to CM 10.1, the network shows up and no longer roams, but I still get "mobile network state: disconnected" in the settings.

Not sure what to do here without that XDA repair tool :/

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 29, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
AROMA is great but holy poo poo does it crash a lot.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Ugh.

I did not know that restoring a nandroid backup made using 6.0.3.0 CWM to a phone using 6.0.3.1 version would gently caress with the file structure so much. Nothing was broken but it looked untidy so I did a complete fresh install rather than use the backup!

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I just switched my Galaxy S3 from the stock ROM to CM10.1, and I've run into two problems. First off, the call volume is INSANELY loud. The lowest volume in CM sounds louder than the highest in the stock ROM (turning on the "extra gain in voice calls" would probably make me go deaf). Is there any way to change this?

Second, Light Flow worked with a LOT more apps on the stock ROM than on CM. Is this normal? I know you can customize notifications in CM's settings, but it's not nearly as extensive as Light Flow. I love the boost in battery life that I've seen, but these two issues are making me seriously consider switching back to stock.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

UncleGuito posted:

Tried that and got the IMEI to stick but the ERI is still blank. When I goto the EFS folder in File Manager, there's no nv_data file. If I flash to CM 10.1, the network shows up and no longer roams, but I still get "mobile network state: disconnected" in the settings.

Not sure what to do here without that XDA repair tool :/

Google. I found other methods too, but i don't want to recommend random things since I have not tried them. I think the ERI is specific to your carrier and you can download one.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I just switched my Galaxy S3 from the stock ROM to CM10.1, and I've run into two problems. First off, the call volume is INSANELY loud. The lowest volume in CM sounds louder than the highest in the stock ROM (turning on the "extra gain in voice calls" would probably make me go deaf). Is there any way to change this?

Second, Light Flow worked with a LOT more apps on the stock ROM than on CM. Is this normal? I know you can customize notifications in CM's settings, but it's not nearly as extensive as Light Flow. I love the boost in battery life that I've seen, but these two issues are making me seriously consider switching back to stock.

Just to be sure, the Extra Gain thing is OFF? I had it on and it completely ignored my volume.

With regard to Light Flow... what apps are missing? Be sure to experiement with some of the S3 settings under the settings menu for light flow (I would say which I have enabled, but I'm literally restoring from flashing CM10.1RC2 now (had to go back to stock as my carrier would get a look at my phone))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Extra gain is off. I dug through the settings looking for any relevant options, and nothing helps. As for Light Flow, the missing apps are... everything besides the stock SMS/MMS/e-mail/calendar/etc stuff. Again, I've messed with every relevant option, restarted the phone, reinstalled Light Flow and nothing fixes it. I'd try flashing CM 10.0 to see if it helps, but for some reason the stock keyboard refuses to work for me so that's not really an option.

Maybe my phone just isn't meant to run Cyanogen...