Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Looking for a guild invite, playing as a filthy guardian mage called Soulsage... roll on faction changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Huh, did anyone else notice that the Transfiguration Bauble isn't flagged as Consumable like a lot of other things are (on the PTS)?

Man, if all you ever need is one Bauble (per character, I guess), that would be so nice.

[speculation]It might be that it binds to one weapon model, allowing you to apply that model to any/all your weapons. Nice for when you have a model you really like and keep getting weapon upgrades. I would guess you need to buy additional baubles if you want different models.[/speculation]

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Machai posted:

[speculation]It might be that it binds to one weapon model, allowing you to apply that model to any/all your weapons. Nice for when you have a model you really like and keep getting weapon upgrades. I would guess you need to buy additional baubles if you want different models.[/speculation]

That wouldn't be too bad.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Ok, now that my dreams of tanking are crushed, do warriors look bad rear end DPSing? Warriors are usually "hit things with sword till it dies" and never look that spectacular.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

Ok, now that my dreams of tanking are crushed, do warriors look bad rear end DPSing? Warriors are usually "hit things with sword till it dies" and never look that spectacular.

Umm warriors can summon localized lightning storms, teleport everywhere like huge assholes, and throw elemental spears of magic. They can also shoot force lightning and do overhead sword/hammer/axe/polearm spins.

Also as tanks they have arguably the best snap aggro skill in the game, throw skulls around, or pull everyone on top of them.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Drythe posted:

Eh, you never know when someone will go fuckgoons and a tanking spot open up. But you will definitely be dps first. Here's a video of the riftblade doing it's dps rotation if that helps, warriors definitely get elemental effects and stuff to go with their attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFLPTBiKfQI

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

If I'm a mage what are the specs I'll be needing? 1 DPS 1 Support 1 Healer 1 PvP at a minimum? I feel like I'll get confused with all those haha. You think if I get to endgame and just want to DPS that will be kosher?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Eltoasto posted:

Eh, you never know when someone will go fuckgoons and a tanking spot open up. But you will definitely be dps first. Here's a video of the riftblade doing it's dps rotation if that helps, warriors definitely get elemental effects and stuff to go with their attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFLPTBiKfQI

It's me, I'll be the one that goes fuckgoons.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Obscurity posted:

If I'm a mage what are the specs I'll be needing? 1 DPS 1 Support 1 Healer 1 PvP at a minimum? I feel like I'll get confused with all those haha. You think if I get to endgame and just want to DPS that will be kosher?

Well right now pyro owns bones, so if you get good at pyro then yes, people will want you dps'ing. They will probably get irritated if you don't have an archon or chloro spec handy in an emergency though. We currently have 6 role slots at 60 now, so 1 archon, 1 chloro, 1 solo, and then the last 3 can be a mix of pvp if you do that and dps.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

Well right now pyro owns bones, so if you get good at pyro then yes, people will want you dps'ing. They will probably get irritated if you don't have an archon or chloro spec handy in an emergency though. We currently have 6 role slots at 60 now, so 1 archon, 1 chloro, 1 solo, and then the last 3 can be a mix of pvp if you do that and dps.

Warlock, Stormcaller, and Dominator still have their purposes but if you want to be the hot poo poo at killing things single target pyro is where it's at.

I've wanted to get my mage to 60 ever since that Glyphs of Power buff.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

deimos posted:

It's me, I'll be the one that goes fuckgoons.

nope. dibs

Northan
Nov 6, 2011

Spear Spear Spear Spear
Spear Spear Spear Spear

No way, jose. It's gotta be me. Them goonses are the worst.

Really though I have a 22 Warrior named Hagnk and I still need to get into the guild.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

slev posted:

Is there a setting anywhere that would let me see cooldown timers on my action bars or do I need an addon for that?

You can't see the actual timer on the ability bar, but it does show a grayed out "clock" thing to show you visually.

There's Karuul Alert which is pretty great (though complex) for tracking CD abilities.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Some of my friends are looking to get into Rift because of the f2p change. Just so I have it straight, all they have to do is download Raptr and Rift, and run the game to get the Rift/SL/30 days code?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Solarflare posted:

Some of my friends are looking to get into Rift because of the f2p change. Just so I have it straight, all they have to do is download Raptr and Rift, and run the game to get the Rift/SL/30 days code?

That's basically it. I had a small hiccup in trying to get Raptr to recognize Rift as a game and record I played it.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Eltoasto posted:

Zoness posted:

Warlock, Stormcaller, and Dominator still have their purposes but if you want to be the hot poo poo at killing things single target pyro is where it's at.

I've wanted to get my mage to 60 ever since that Glyphs of Power buff.

So If I only want to dps, and I don't want to play pyro I'm screwed? Should I just reroll as a melee class or something?

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Oh my glob. What the stuff are you doing?
Could we get my post with specs updated in the OP? I feel like that would help a lot of the elementary questions out.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Obscurity posted:

So If I only want to dps, and I don't want to play pyro I'm screwed? Should I just reroll as a melee class or something?

Warlock is also very good. Dom and SC are very nice aoe dps. There are other builds you can be, pyro is just the top single target DPS. But if you are coming at it with the attitude that you ONLY want to DPS and ONLY want to be a necromancer, well then some groups will only want you to not be in them. Rift has amazing versatility within the classes, but the players need to take advantage of that.

lsp posted:

Could we get my post with specs updated in the OP? I feel like that would help a lot of the elementary questions out.

Yeah I'm going to do some work on it.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
So now that I'm 60 on my warrior (first 60 woo!), I think since the tanking spots are full I'm going to go dps or support (really my only other two options). Any idea what you guys would need more in a raiding sense of terms?

As for the dps spec, it seems I'll have to dedicate some time to researching it. Right now my combat moves are combined in 4 macros as a warlord/champ spec so this'll be tough to switch over.

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

This is the livestream from today, http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds/b/407749785
This is a good introduction to what raiding is like, and is pretty entertaining!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Is it bad that the first thing I'm doing when free-to-play goes live is getting myself a 150% mount?

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Is it bad that the first thing I'm doing when free-to-play goes live is getting myself a 150% mount?

This is probably the best thing you could do for yourself.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

I am doing the same thing, gently caress 1000 plat. I estimate that us storm legion year purchasers will get 7500+ gems.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Suck it, you 99%ers :colbert:

oh god I have no life apparently

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Solarflare posted:

You download raptr, sign up for it which is an easy process really. Then you verify your email address, then you download the desktop app, then you run the raptr desktop app (and optionally link it with your steam account so things are more automatic). Then run rift and once ingame go back to your desktop and open up the raptr dashboard (in windows 7 it minimizes to the hidden icons/notifications area of the taskbar) and make sure it's listing you as currently playing rift.

Play for however many hours it takes to reach the 'rift level' in raptr required to qualify for the free game/expansion/30 days playtime on a new account (upgrading a trial account using raptr code counts as a new account).

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Just so I'm clear, the game gives you the choice of going to the two different zones at 50 but you're going to want to do both of them, right? I finished one about halfway through 51 and the 53 mobs in the next place are wrecking me. I went to the other level 50 zone anyway but I was wondering if I was missing something

Anyway, if somebody could throw an invite to Scramble that would be awesome

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Red Red Blue posted:

Just so I'm clear, the game gives you the choice of going to the two different zones at 50 but you're going to want to do both of them, right? I finished one about halfway through 51 and the 53 mobs in the next place are wrecking me. I went to the other level 50 zone anyway but I was wondering if I was missing something

Anyway, if somebody could throw an invite to Scramble that would be awesome

Basically you will need to do both unless you do a ton of pvp. On my characters I would do one zone completely, then go over to the other and just roll through the storlyine quests until it catches up on level to the mobs.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Eltoasto posted:

Warlock is also very good. Dom and SC are very nice aoe dps. There are other builds you can be, pyro is just the top single target DPS. But if you are coming at it with the attitude that you ONLY want to DPS and ONLY want to be a necromancer, well then some groups will only want you to not be in them. Rift has amazing versatility within the classes, but the players need to take advantage of that.

Well the issue is that there are far more MMOs with single roles than there are with versatility, and most people are likely groomed as such. For example, anyone coming from WoW thinks Mage = DPS, Priest(Cleric) = Heals, Warrior = Tank, Rogue = DPS. With Rift allowing multiple roles and switch on the fly it'll take some getting used to I suppose.

On top of that, I hate healing with keyboard shortcuts. I am too spoiled from having used the Clique addon in WoW. :saddowns: I suppose I'll have Archon, Chloro, and maybe Dom for my roles. Archon doesn't look too bad at least. Chloro I have no idea..I'll just have to get over the healing with a keyboard.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Obscurity posted:

Well the issue is that there are far more MMOs with single roles than there are with versatility, and most people are likely groomed as such. For example, anyone coming from WoW thinks Mage = DPS, Priest(Cleric) = Heals, Warrior = Tank, Rogue = DPS. With Rift allowing multiple roles and switch on the fly it'll take some getting used to I suppose.

On top of that, I hate healing with keyboard shortcuts. I am too spoiled from having used the Clique addon in WoW. :saddowns: I suppose I'll have Archon, Chloro, and maybe Dom for my roles. Archon doesn't look too bad at least. Chloro I have no idea..I'll just have to get over the healing with a keyboard.

There are healbot addons on the Rift section of Curse if that's your thing. Currently assigning macros to clicks is funky which is irritating for me, but it works just fine with assigning ordinary abilities to left/right/middle/mouse4/mouse5 shift/alt/ctrl clicks

Kiwi Penguin
Oct 3, 2012

It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and stay angry.
Just got my full game through raptr, rolled a cleric, and I have no idea what's going on. But I'm enjoying my confusion. Can I get an invite for Cyper? :)

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Hi! Jabir here with another newbie note:

By default, Rift is set to auto-set your PVP flag if it thinks you want to PVP. What this means is that if you are running around with a flamethrower and see an enemy questgiver or player who is PVP flagged (They have a yellow name!) your flamethrower will automatically hit them and flag you PVP. If you tab on these people and shoot them, they will be shot and pvp will begin.

People abuse this in IA's by flagging themselves in front of low level players using AOEs so that they become pvp enabled, then kill you. A lot. You'll be fighting a boss, you'll see a yellow name, and then everything comes crashing down.

If this happened to you, or you think it might happen to you and you don't want to deal with it, open your options menu and go to Settings -> Interface -> Combat, and then uncheck "Auto-Flag PVP." This will render you unable to attack any player without first right-clicking on your portait and enabling PVP manually.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

And to add to that, disabling pvp gives you a 5 minute buff that looks like a fist. It counts down and your pvp is turned off if it hits zero without you attacking or healing someone involved in pvp.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

I loved me some puri/sent but going full healer probably isn't wise considering I'd also like to get into the main story quests on the new continents.

For dps I used...well, not much because Cleric dps was underwhelming at the time. I think I mostly used cabalist or inquisitor or that one where you'd spam staff attacks and get healed by the damage you did.

Basically, what's the best leveling dps build right now? Hopped on for a few tonight to get a feel for things and man have the skill trees blown up. I'm half tempted to just start fresh now that all my gear will be outdated soon no matter what I do.

Guardians and Defiants can be in the same guild now? Maybe I'll roll a gay high elf with their weird jumping skill and see what leveling is like on the other side.

The problem (as far as my ridiculous amount of no life research I've done has found) with cleric leveling builds right now is there's no real consensus on "the best", this also bummed me out.
I miss the old days where everyone who played cleric agreed on one specific build as the best of all for leveling. I prefer simplicity and consensus!
For leveling there's basically 3 options, each having trade-offs. There's good for single-target, there's good for AoE, and there's good for if you like dealing with pets.

Try this guide:
http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/classes-telara/class-guides/cleric-guides/349476-justicar-leveling-guide.html

It is OVERLY extensive, however now that you've gotten your feet wet most of it should make sense. This was the only posted build that sounded very promising that I didn't get to try. At the time I went looking the dude hadn't finished updating the builds/guide for SL content, which was what I needed. Looks like now he's gone back and finished it all out for the most recent patch (you can see the edit dates/times in the OPs). The guide was first created many patches ago, so the first couple of pages of replies are outdated, look towards the last page for recent feedback.
This one seems to have the best mix of ST and AoE DPS with good survivability and no damned pet.
If you don't mind a pet, there's a great druid-based leveling build I can link you to, it has good feedback, however it suffers from the same problem (personal critique) of having more buttons than I play Rift to think about.
This build seems like it has the best ability to half-think and watch netflix or something while working through quests, that's an important part for me at least.
If that doesn't work for you or you want to try something different/different style let me know more what you're looking for leveling wise and I'll dig something good up for you.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Need to get in on the goon action, Ingame as a returning rogue: Jalapeno

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any action in the guild for EU players? I'm not a +-+hardcore+-+ raider anymore, but I'd still like to be able to run heroics and the occasional raid with my guildies.

Will I get this on my crazy EU time or will I find a desolated guild and be forced to pug with (non goon) idiots?

Or, if anyone's got a goon friendly guild on a EU shard, hook me up!

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 25, 2013

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Reasonerr posted:

The problem (as far as my ridiculous amount of no life research I've done has found) with cleric leveling builds right now is there's no real consensus on "the best", this also bummed me out.
I miss the old days where everyone who played cleric agreed on one specific build as the best of all for leveling. I prefer simplicity and consensus!
For leveling there's basically 3 options, each having trade-offs. There's good for single-target, there's good for AoE, and there's good for if you like dealing with pets.

Try this guide:
http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/classes-telara/class-guides/cleric-guides/349476-justicar-leveling-guide.html

It is OVERLY extensive, however now that you've gotten your feet wet most of it should make sense. This was the only posted build that sounded very promising that I didn't get to try. At the time I went looking the dude hadn't finished updating the builds/guide for SL content, which was what I needed. Looks like now he's gone back and finished it all out for the most recent patch (you can see the edit dates/times in the OPs). The guide was first created many patches ago, so the first couple of pages of replies are outdated, look towards the last page for recent feedback.
This one seems to have the best mix of ST and AoE DPS with good survivability and no damned pet.
If you don't mind a pet, there's a great druid-based leveling build I can link you to, it has good feedback, however it suffers from the same problem (personal critique) of having more buttons than I play Rift to think about.
This build seems like it has the best ability to half-think and watch netflix or something while working through quests, that's an important part for me at least.
If that doesn't work for you or you want to try something different/different style let me know more what you're looking for leveling wise and I'll dig something good up for you.

It's no mystery, AOE and a vaporizer is the only way to level in an MMO. Thanks for the link!

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Wolpertinger posted:

There are healbot addons on the Rift section of Curse if that's your thing. Currently assigning macros to clicks is funky which is irritating for me, but it works just fine with assigning ordinary abilities to left/right/middle/mouse4/mouse5 shift/alt/ctrl clicks

Can you tell me the name of one of the good healbot addons? I find that looking for addons on curse for Rift is more of a hassle than anything because there aren't many catergories, etc.

Dr. Video Games 0156
Jan 1, 2005
romantic comedy wahhhh

Reasonerr posted:

Hi, related cleric leveling question: I'm hopping into this game and I'm planning to level a cleric alongside a (rogue) friend.

I was looking at the ranged dps trees (Inquisitor and Cabalist and maybe Defiler?) and it was really difficult for me to tell if they were going to be good trees to "duo" with. All my research points to melee clerics for leveling, though. The most 3 popular things I've seen are the Justicar one you linked, a justicar/inquisitor/shaman total 3-way split, and a druid one.

Is it unreasonable to try to level primarily as ranged even when I'm going to have melee backup? I don't want to make a stupid choice just for playstyle. If you have a recommendation in this vein that would be cool.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Obscurity posted:

Can you tell me the name of one of the good healbot addons? I find that looking for addons on curse for Rift is more of a hassle than anything because there aren't many catergories, etc.

This is the only that works, as far as I know - I've tried both of the ones I can find. One hasn't been updated in a while and so errors out, this one works fine but has funky macro functionality, which honestly aren't completely necessary but being able to do things like casting an instant cast heal with a cooldown go off when available when you hit a button, and otherwise casting a normal no-cooldown ability is making me lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Can someone explain how to use BananAH? it's kind of going over my head at this point. I just want to be able to sell stuff at a 1 silver undercut, nothing fancy.

• Locked thread