Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Handen posted:

Took the Rhodes home.

Artsy fartsy shot:

Beach whale shot:

Made in 1979 out of bricks. Bricks made of lead. gently caress is this thing heavy.

drat, that looks like it's in top condition. $250 is a ridiculously low for one of those. How's it sound?

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

drat, that looks like it's in top condition. $250 is a ridiculously low for one of those. How's it sound?

Seriously. I think the lowest I've ever seen any Rhodes go for is $400 and half of the keys were dead and it had other major issues.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
That's basically free, compared to the cheapest non-burnt thrashed Rhodes I've seen in Sweden.

And definitely not containing mummified mice.

I was the lucky only bidder on an Edirol M10dx digital mixer. Got a Hi-Z input channel with some insert effect options for the two mono channels, decent enough effects and EQ capabilities, mix finalize compressor setups. Would have been perfect if I was only dealing with instruments and not an LP player, PS3, PC, etc..

..so I jumped on a €50 Yamaha MM1402 mixer deal locally because I found I needed a sub-mixer real freaking bad. Also that white set of 70's Made in Japan cans for a fiver. High-tech business on the desk and lo-fi fun when I turn my chair around. Makes it a pleasure to sample to and record with the SK1 - straight to my tape deck.

I'll celebrate these good deals by making some SK1 & MPC based themes over the weekend.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 25, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I think the Rhodes is the ultimate "I play for free and get paid to haul gear" piece out there. I used to play in a band with a guy who had a 73 with the matching powered speaker cab, and gently caress that thing.

I'd still love to have one to stick in my basement, though.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Regarding how it sounds, like an angel~* :angel:

All of the keys work and it's tuned as close to perfect that my ears aren't noticing anything drastically wrong. However, I can't tell if some of the octaves are giving me beat tones to indicate being slightly out of tune, or if that's how this thing rolls sonorously. It seems like the latter, like there's a soft natural tremolo going on. The only thing that I thought might need a bit of attention is how some of the low notes need a disproportionately harder attack to ring out. But that's only two or three keys.

On the downside I'm being bombarded by good friends wanting to trade stuff for it, and if I don't end up keeping it, the plan was to sell it for maximum value so I can put a payment down on my student loans because gently caress that noise.

Edit: I do not want to get rid of this thing. It sounds so good. I should also say that the low price is likely a direct result of the Alberta Conservative government's funding cuts to post secondary education, and that the educational institution I attended has either been cutting the jobs of whoever was the custodian of this stuff or is just looking to get rid of 50 years of accumulated gear that has no educational purpose. They don't sell by market value, they sell by a percentage of the price initially purchased at, take into account the number of years they've had it since it's been purchased, factor some arbitrary depreciation, and bam, there's your amp for 10% of what it's actually worth, or your Rhodes for $1000 less than you'd be paying on the vintage market. Why they have this stuff, I have no idea, it's usually computers and server tech poo poo that they liquidate.

So... Yay? :canada:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 25, 2013

Suizid
Apr 15, 2003

The BURNINATOR!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The demographics here just don't appreciate a Paul with P90s.

Philistines.

Edit: not sure if the attachment is working, so link-me-do:

http://s14.postimg.org/xa45p574h/image.jpg

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suizid fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 25, 2013

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

sexy as hell

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

iostream.h posted:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Yeah, it's a Silver Jubilee 2555. Absolutely pristine and unmodified in any way, almost like it came out of the box.

Where on earth did you find such a treasure?

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Handen posted:

Regarding how it sounds, like an angel~* :angel:

All of the keys work and it's tuned as close to perfect that my ears aren't noticing anything drastically wrong. However, I can't tell if some of the octaves are giving me beat tones to indicate being slightly out of tune, or if that's how this thing rolls sonorously. It seems like the latter, like there's a soft natural tremolo going on. The only thing that I thought might need a bit of attention is how some of the low notes need a disproportionately harder attack to ring out. But that's only two or three keys.

On the downside I'm being bombarded by good friends wanting to trade stuff for it, and if I don't end up keeping it, the plan was to sell it for maximum value so I can put a payment down on my student loans because gently caress that noise.

Edit: I do not want to get rid of this thing. It sounds so good. I should also say that the low price is likely a direct result of the Alberta Conservative government's funding cuts to post secondary education, and that the educational institution I attended has either been cutting the jobs of whoever was the custodian of this stuff or is just looking to get rid of 50 years of accumulated gear that has no educational purpose. They don't sell by market value, they sell by a percentage of the price initially purchased at, take into account the number of years they've had it since it's been purchased, factor some arbitrary depreciation, and bam, there's your amp for 10% of what it's actually worth, or your Rhodes for $1000 less than you'd be paying on the vintage market. Why they have this stuff, I have no idea, it's usually computers and server tech poo poo that they liquidate.

So... Yay? :canada:

I have a '74 and a '75, both Stage 88 key versions. They're wonderful instruments but even heavier than the 73 key versions and need regular maintenance and tuning when you gig with them often- nothing too bad, but knowing how to do the basics is worth learning. Vintage Vibe has some good Youtube videos on common action and damper problems, and how to tune and replace tines.
All pianos have some stretch tuning, so the top octaves will be a few cents off the bottom ones- the Rhodes style tines also have a slight natural vibrato/tremolo effect as the attack tapers off (not to be confused with the actual tremolo effect built into the suitcase models). What are you running yours into?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Where on earth did you find such a treasure?
Local secondhand/vintage music shop, he occasionally has some incredible stuff come through.
Same place I snagged my last one from, incidentally. He also had a Lee Jackson modded JCM800 sitting there that was used on the first Brother Cane album (which is even funnier because I ended up with a JMP1 also modded by Lee Jackson that was also used on the same album).

Huh, typing that out just made me realize how truly incestuous the gear scene around here really is.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Never doubt a good shop with a frequent intake of quality used gear. Thankfully the one I often visit similarly has unique equipment for sale. There's a few session players living nearby always looking to offload some gear. Nothing pertaining to my own needs just yet but its always interesting seeing what's available. If a silver jubilee showed up, that's something I'd be willing to (perhaps foolishly) take out a small bank loan for.

In other news, I've had the parts sitting about for almost a year and finally got around to having a tech put the thing together! Neon spandex optional.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

Never doubt a good shop with a frequent intake of quality used gear. Thankfully the one I often visit similarly has unique equipment for sale. There's a few session players living nearby always looking to offload some gear. Nothing pertaining to my own needs just yet but its always interesting seeing what's available. If a silver jubilee showed up, that's something I'd be willing to (perhaps foolishly) take out a small bank loan for.

In other news, I've had the parts sitting about for almost a year and finally got around to having a tech put the thing together! Neon spandex optional.

Wow, very... colorful. I love the neon pink.

I finally decided to get a good replacement for a metalesque guitar and got an Ibanez Iron Label 6 string. This thing is awesome. I love how the EMG 60 sounds, especially with clean guitar tones. The action is setup really nice and low and the guitar feels very smooth and easy to play. My only complaint about these RG guitars is the volume pot position gets in my way when playing. I'm used to a Agile Les Paul copy where the pots never get in the way but I'm getting used to it pretty quickly.

I'm now in the market for some locking tuners. A friend recommended the Sperzel locking tuners but I want to avoid doing any kind of drilling on the headstock. Anyone have experience with installing locking tuners on a guitar like this? I would think you only have to remove the nut and install the new tuners but perhaps I'm wrong.

I also got a gift card from GC so I picked up some new pedals. A goon recommended the ISP Decimator for a noise gate and it works nicely. Also got the small stone phase shifter which is pretty neat.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sperzels would require drilling or modification for installment, Planet Waves tuners are really good and cut your strings for you and will drop right in. I used to have the same problem with RGs but one day I just stopped having it. Good luck! You could try replacing it with a lower profile knob, like a strat style one.

planet waves please endorse me

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
If that guitar is fixed bridge, do you need the locking tuners? Are you experiencing any tuning instability?

You mentioned replacing the nut: that is not a requirement for fitting locking tuners, unless I have missed something....

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

Mewcenary posted:

If that guitar is fixed bridge, do you need the locking tuners? Are you experiencing any tuning instability?

You mentioned replacing the nut: that is not a requirement for fitting locking tuners, unless I have missed something....

I'm referring to the nut securing the tuners to the headstock.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Locking tuners are basically never installed for tuning stability unless you're insisting on being Steve Vai with a Strat and your ability to wind strings is dogshit. They're just for making life a bit easier. And the planet waves locking tuners even cut strings for you! wow.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
The guitar is fixed bridge but I thought floyd-rose models were known for better tuning stability, especially with locking nuts. I haven't experienced tuning instability any worse than my Agile Les Paul, which is also a fixed bridge. Tuning isn't bad but if locking tuners increase tuning stability and make changing strings a faster process, I'd get them.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

Kerpal posted:

The guitar is fixed bridge but I thought floyd-rose models were known for better tuning stability, especially with locking nuts.

Locking nuts are the only way to heavily abuse the tremolo arm without throwing everything out of tune.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

If anyone could mask being a bit out of tune from trem thrashing though, it's Tom

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Kerpal posted:

Tuning isn't bad but if locking tuners increase tuning stability and make changing strings a faster process, I'd get them.
You're not going to have any inherent tuning instability on a fixed-bridge guitar so long as your nut is smooth and without burrs or binding. If you wind your strings properly (as someone else mentioned) you're not even going to have any issues with normal trem use assuming the above remains true as well.

That said, I like the lockers on my PRS and the Sperzels I installed on my Strat because they just make life easier, my Les Pauls don't have any lockers and I yank the holy gently caress out of the strings on them and have no issues, I DID make sure to have them set up properly however.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I have locking Grover's on my Traditional. One of the reasons I'm gonna put a Bigsby on it.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
It definitely feels good but Barn Door that makes perfect sense now. I guess I probably don't need locking tuners though it'd make restringing easier and motivate me to change strings more often possibly.

I do want to at least get a low profile volume knob like Muike suggested.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Ortazel posted:

I have a '74 and a '75, both Stage 88 key versions. They're wonderful instruments but even heavier than the 73 key versions and need regular maintenance and tuning when you gig with them often- nothing too bad, but knowing how to do the basics is worth learning. Vintage Vibe has some good Youtube videos on common action and damper problems, and how to tune and replace tines.
All pianos have some stretch tuning, so the top octaves will be a few cents off the bottom ones- the Rhodes style tines also have a slight natural vibrato/tremolo effect as the attack tapers off (not to be confused with the actual tremolo effect built into the suitcase models). What are you running yours into?

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

I don't have a dedicated keyboard amp so I tried running it into my Ampeg VT-22 but the bass notes rattled something apart on the inside. Whereas it needed a bit of a tune-up before, it's got some serious issues now. So I plugged it into that Garnet head after I replaced the four 12AU7 preamp tubes with 12AX7s, through a 4x12, and oh my god. :stare:

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Handen posted:

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

I don't have a dedicated keyboard amp so I tried running it into my Ampeg VT-22 but the bass notes rattled something apart on the inside. Whereas it needed a bit of a tune-up before, it's got some serious issues now. So I plugged it into that Garnet head after I replaced the four 12AU7 preamp tubes with 12AX7s, through a 4x12, and oh my god. :stare:

Yeah, you definitely want to run it through something with 12" speakers, but a 73 should be fine through most guitar amps with decent headroom. Both of mine have really weak outputs and I always run a preamp or boost pedal in front of the amp; I think the 73s are supposed to have hotter outputs though. I love putting it through an old DOD flanger and/or a tremolo pedal, all going into an 80s Roland JC-120. I've tried running it through a few tube guitar and bass amps- Twin Reverbs and Bassmans, along with the big Music Man combos are the usual recommendations- but I keep coming back to the JC-120, you can't beat Rhodes through that stereo chorus.

Edit: If you have a weekend to play around with the tone, also try voicing the pickups. It's one of the easiest adjustments to make while you're playing because you don't have to raise the harp, and you can get a beautiful range of soft bell sounds to that Rhodes bark as you move the pickup closer to the tine (similar to neck vs bridge pickup on a guitar). Just make a pencil mark where you started, and repeat x73!

a loathsome bird fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 26, 2013

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Ortazel posted:

Yeah, you definitely want to run it through something with 12" speakers, but a 73 should be fine through most guitar amps with decent headroom. Both of mine have really weak outputs and I always run a preamp or boost pedal in front of the amp; I think the 73s are supposed to have hotter outputs though. I love putting it through an old DOD flanger and/or a tremolo pedal, all going into an 80s Roland JC-120. I've tried running it through a few tube guitar and bass amps- Twin Reverbs and Bassmans, along with the big Music Man combos are the usual recommendations- but I keep coming back to the JC-120, you can't beat Rhodes through that stereo chorus.

Edit: If you have a weekend to play around with the tone, also try voicing the pickups. It's one of the easiest adjustments to make while you're playing because you don't have to raise the harp, and you can get a beautiful range of soft bell sounds to that Rhodes bark as you move the pickup closer to the tine (similar to neck vs bridge pickup on a guitar). Just make a pencil mark where you started, and repeat x73!

I stuck my Boss TR-2 in the line and it sounded heavenly. The more I look into it the more interesting it gets, considering the mechanics of it are essentially the same as an electric guitar and I love tinkering around with the insides of mine and have enough sound toys to make it even more interesting. I had a very limited idea of what it was when I bought it, aside from knowing that the name Rhodes gets thrown around a lot and that it was worth having. To be quite honest I'm almost ashamed to admit that I thought it was missing a power cable. :ssh: Then a friend said "See the jack labeled input? Yeah, that's the output." D'oh. I'll definitely be taking the hood off to even out the inconsistent keys, which aren't many, thank god. A friend is super keen to buy it off of me so he can record with it, but I think I'll make him a deal that he can borrow it whenever he needs in exchange for him lending me some of coveted rare gear, of which he has a huge assortment already. It's a win-win!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

If a silver jubilee showed up, that's something I'd be willing to (perhaps foolishly) take out a small bank loan for.
You don't have PMs so I'm sorry if this is considered making GBS threads up the thread.

He's got what I BELIEVE is one of the 'mini-stacks' (not the toy, the 'short head' version). I'll be back over there in a day or two, if you're interested I can price it out for you.
Shoot me an email if you want, iostream.header at google.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Handen posted:

I stuck my Boss TR-2 in the line and it sounded heavenly. The more I look into it the more interesting it gets, considering the mechanics of it are essentially the same as an electric guitar and I love tinkering around with the insides of mine and have enough sound toys to make it even more interesting. I had a very limited idea of what it was when I bought it, aside from knowing that the name Rhodes gets thrown around a lot and that it was worth having. To be quite honest I'm almost ashamed to admit that I thought it was missing a power cable. :ssh: Then a friend said "See the jack labeled input? Yeah, that's the output." D'oh. I'll definitely be taking the hood off to even out the inconsistent keys, which aren't many, thank god. A friend is super keen to buy it off of me so he can record with it, but I think I'll make him a deal that he can borrow it whenever he needs in exchange for him lending me some of coveted rare gear, of which he has a huge assortment already. It's a win-win!

Yeah, there are lots of unorthodox sounds you can get by tinkering inside- try plucking the tines gently like a kalimba, or using an Ebow with the pedal down, or cranking the gain and getting a huge feedback roar when you stomp on the pedal.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

I love being able to post in this thread.

Hard to see, only a phone pic but it's not that exciting to look at. I got an RME UCX. It's down the bottom sitting above the PC. Combined with a UA610 Solo and a Focusrite ISA One, I'm starting to get a pretty drat respectable little home studio here...

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Ortazel posted:

Yeah, there are lots of unorthodox sounds you can get by tinkering inside- try plucking the tines gently like a kalimba, or using an Ebow with the pedal down, or cranking the gain and getting a huge feedback roar when you stomp on the pedal.

Pedal? It didn't come with a pedal, just the legs for the stand. If it's supposed to have one, I'll go back and see if it's hiding somewhere. There's a good chance that it'll end up in the garbage knowing how that place treats unwanted and miscellaneous surplus gear. Last summer when I worked there I saw six high quality steel mic stands on their way to the dumpster because they were "broken." They weren't broken, they were just in pieces, but nobody knew how to tell the difference so I managed to talk my way into taking them home for $10 a piece. I can't imagine how much perfectly fine gear gets tossed from that place, as the pedal might if it doesn't say "Rhodes" on it in HUGE letters when it shows up.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Handen posted:

Pedal? It didn't come with a pedal, just the legs for the stand. If it's supposed to have one, I'll go back and see if it's hiding somewhere. There's a good chance that it'll end up in the garbage knowing how that place treats unwanted and miscellaneous surplus gear. Last summer when I worked there I saw six high quality steel mic stands on their way to the dumpster because they were "broken." They weren't broken, they were just in pieces, but nobody knew how to tell the difference so I managed to talk my way into taking them home for $10 a piece. I can't imagine how much perfectly fine gear gets tossed from that place, as the pedal might if it doesn't say "Rhodes" on it in HUGE letters when it shows up.

The pedal itself is a big heavy cast iron bastard, essentially a big lever, and you'll need the adjustable rod which sits on the back of the pedal and pushes up into the piano. I got a Vintage Vibe reissue sustain rod but I was using a piece of scrap metal from Home Depot for about a year until I got tired of it squeaking.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Suizid posted:

Philistines.

Edit: not sure if the attachment is working, so link-me-do:

http://s14.postimg.org/xa45p574h/image.jpg

Good lord, did you throw that together yourself, or can I go spend money on that right now? :swoon:

e: Spent another 30 seconds actually thinking and I assume Gibson never put out a special with a B5

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 26, 2013

Suizid
Apr 15, 2003

The BURNINATOR!
It is stock, but it's not a Gibson - it's a Collings 290. Can't recommend them highly enough even if here in the UK the prices are daylight robbery. Picked it up second hand this week to compliment the CL deluxe I bought whilst last working in the states. I35 next to complete the set, then I'll be selling off everything else!

It picked up a gig kiss last weekend too - only a little one but when it's a cold dead hands guitar I couldn't care less :)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Right, the internet still isn't working (on my phone, shaddup) so I bought another new shiny to play with.

It's really drat good. Seriously, if you do any sort of rock bass and you record? Grab one of these. At least for demos. You can get perfectly rockin' sounds out of it that are REALLY tweakable. The only complaint is that the knobs are uber-sensitive and the box feels flimsy. Still, it's gonna sit right on top of the RME there and do quite a lovely job of bass for me.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Hammer Floyd posted:

Right, the internet still isn't working (on my phone, shaddup) so I bought another new shiny to play with.

It's really drat good. Seriously, if you do any sort of rock bass and you record? Grab one of these. At least for demos. You can get perfectly rockin' sounds out of it that are REALLY tweakable. The only complaint is that the knobs are uber-sensitive and the box feels flimsy. Still, it's gonna sit right on top of the RME there and do quite a lovely job of bass for me.

Probably the one pedal I'll never part ways with. It's not just good for rock tones, it's good for any kind of tube-driven tone you'd want, from smooth to gritty.

I've even gotten to the point of bypassing my amp's pre by going directly into the poweramp with it.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I've actually thought that I should bring mine home, put it on my pedal board and see if it works with guitar. But basically, yeah that is the most awesome bass pedal ever, there is almost no way get some thing terrible sounding out of it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

HollisBrown posted:

I've actually thought that I should bring mine home, put it on my pedal board and see if it works with guitar. But basically, yeah that is the most awesome bass pedal ever, there is almost no way get some thing terrible sounding out of it.

I've tried it before with a guitar just dicking around and thought it sounded pretty great. Pretty much what you'd expect from hooking a guitar up to an SVT, which was done quite a bit back in the day (and maybe still).

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That's pretty much the one pedal that everyone should have. Really good for getting JC-120 style clean guitar too.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Chiming in to say I have one too, and I love it. It's so versatile and sounds... real.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Tech21 even built an amp around it...

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/amps/bass/vt1000.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
How's the comparison to one of these?