Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

the yeti posted:

I think I can be more clear now: Open in Chrome doesn't show as an option alongside Open in Safari until the page has fully loaded. If you do tap to bring up those buttons while the page is still loading in the background, tapping Open in Safari seems to dismiss the buttons and do nothing (and if you tap again to bring them back, the page will have loaded by then and the Chrome button appears, leading to my initial description.)

That makes sense! Good find. I'll probably just disable that action button until it works right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pokeyman posted:

That's easy info to get, just need to figure out a good place to put it in the UI.

Man youre obliging! So awesome

Also, thanks for the pocket read later feature. It's loving awesome and I love you for it.

Why don't you charge for this app? It's certainly worth it

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

Why don't you charge for this app? It's certainly worth it

I don't know how to split the proceeds and there's no ongoing costs (thanks App Store and GitHub) so I can't put it to the project itself.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Split it with whom? And put the proceeds towards your kids univeristy and/or meth addiction

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Time is free guys

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's a few people working on it, I believe, plus taking money gets a little iffy with the official SA guys.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just start charging $100 each update and go out in a blaze of cash

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

^^^ You can charge for updates? That would be hilarious...

echinopsis posted:

Split it with whom? And put the proceeds towards your kids univeristy and/or meth addiction

The other contributors, past and present. I'm not ok with taking their work and running, even if I'm following the letter of the relevant licenses.

I wouldn't have a problem spending the money, though your suggestions are excellent!

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Time is free guys

What I tried to say with "ongoing costs" is "costs other than time". Stuff like web/version control hosting, software licenses, or continuous integration servers. Basically all active contributors could walk away from the app today and nothing would stop working due to unpaid bills, because we have all of the stuff I listed for free.

Except I just remembered the thread tag downloader looks up a domain I bought, so without a $10 annual outlay (or a one line code change), that feature stops working. If anyone wants to cover that, and is ok with eating paypal/whoever's fees on such a small transaction, go for it!

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

pokeyman posted:

That's easy info to get, just need to figure out a good place to put it in the UI.

You could just insert a dummy thread at the top bookmark and forum views. Have BANME or Attention as the icon, make the thread tab purple if possible. Then just link off what ever normally gets linked off when banned.

Terminal Entropy fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 25, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ooh I like that idea. It won't be tappable until we can do rap sheets but it can be informational.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

If you give it its own style, you could probably cram all the needed text without it being truncated like a thread title would.

Terminal Entropy fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 25, 2013

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mocking up that probation banner might be a way I can burn time on a 5 hour flight I'm about to take.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Does anyone else think the Reply icon and the two icons on the bottom right should be switched? Am I just weird? I keep hitting the button to adjust font size when I'm trying to reply.

I guess I'm just tossing it out there as a suggestion, and to see if anyone agrees with me. I love all the new bits of the app. :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Normally I would just e-mail this to the design group but I'm on a plane and want to say I did that.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

Except I just remembered the thread tag downloader looks up a domain I bought, so without a $10 annual outlay (or a one line code change), that feature stops working. If anyone wants to cover that, and is ok with eating paypal/whoever's fees on such a small transaction, go for it!

PM me your paypals plz.

Also, for the non-beta-testers:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 25, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

EC posted:

Does anyone else think the Reply icon and the two icons on the bottom right should be switched? Am I just weird? I keep hitting the button to adjust font size when I'm trying to reply.

I guess I'm just tossing it out there as a suggestion, and to see if anyone agrees with me. I love all the new bits of the app. :)

I disagree, myself. I think the top right is a more logical place as it's the same as Messages.app and Mail.app

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

When images are set to hidden, is there any way to make them go back to being links or are they stuck being shown without leaving and returning/toggling the setting twice?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Terminal Entropy posted:

When images are set to hidden, is there any way to make them go back to being links or are they stuck being shown without leaving and returning/toggling the setting twice?

They're stuck as images.

Someone upthread requested the same thing, so I'll +1 that for you!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

When you're on probation, does the "horrible monster" bit appear on every page? Or just some of them?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

echinopsis posted:

Just start charging $100 each update and go out in a blaze of cash

pseudonordic posted:

Combine those two and make thread posting a $1 in-app purchase.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

pokeyman posted:

When you're on probation, does the "horrible monster" bit appear on every page? Or just some of them?

Sounds like it would:

Ariong posted:

Nope. When you're currently on probation there's a purple bar across the top of the forums telling you that you are on probation, how long it is, and linking to your rap sheet. After that probation is up it's just like before. Their only chance of noticing would be to see their own post after the fact or see someone mentioning the probation. Like, for instance, in the PYF Ban/Probation thread.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pseudonordic posted:

PM me your paypals plz.

poo poo yeah!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sereri posted:

Combine those two and make thread posting a $1 in-app purchase.

It's a brilliant idea really. SA charges you just to log out so why not

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pokeyman posted:

You've been here since '06 and you've got a clean sheet? daaaaaamn

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

You've been here since '06 and you've got a clean sheet? daaaaaamn

I'm living with a Ban on my rapsheet for a "catchphrase" that I still don't know I said.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Just popping in to say thanks for keeping this awesome app going, and especially for the font size thingy. That's so helpful for my old man eyesight.

echinopsis posted:

It's a brilliant idea really. SA charges you just to log out so why not
Huh?

jivjov posted:

I'm living with a Ban on my rapsheet for a "catchphrase" that I still don't know I said.
"wow just wow" is a normally probateable catchphrase. Apparently you said it during sharkweek / red hammer week.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

randyest posted:

"wow just wow" is a normally probateable catchphrase. Apparently you said it during sharkweek / red hammer week.

I've never heard of that being a catchphrase before. I didn't see it listed anywhere in the forum rules as something not to be said. It is something I typed to express my amazement and disbelief. But anyway, this really isn't the place to have a detailed discussion on this

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

jivjov posted:

I've never heard of that being a catchphrase before. I didn't see it listed anywhere in the forum rules as something not to be said. It is something I typed to express my amazement and disbelief. But anyway, this really isn't the place to have a detailed discussion on this
http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=443
http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2155

Speaking of, is there any way to check rap sheets on the app?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jivjov posted:

Yeah there are several probateable phrases that aren't specifically mentioned in the rules but are probably noted in the saclopedia somewhere. Try to find them -- it's like a game! :q:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Huh, didn't know that dictionary thing existed. Thank you.

EDIT: To suddenly and violently steer this ship back on course: Can the dictionary be accessed from the app?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 25, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Elysiume posted:

Speaking of, is there any way to check rap sheets on the app?

jivjov posted:

EDIT: To suddenly and violently steer this ship back on course: Can the dictionary be accessed from the app?

These are both on the list entitled "things the website can do that the app can't". We'll get around to it sometime!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
How come I can't read the vBulletin revision history from the app? I expect this

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I know the forums don't have any functionality for bookmarking archived threads but could something like that be worked into Awful? I don't like having to do it in the browser, and not have last read support stinks, too.

I know remote threads can be opened by having a URL on the clipboard but having to do that each time and remember the page number is bleh.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The Dave posted:

Normally I would just e-mail this to the design group but I'm on a plane and want to say I did that.

Meanwhile in the land of the design-impaired:

:downs:

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Maybe wrap a rounding function on the post average calculation in the profile page so it doesn't display twenty decimal places?

edit: sorry, did that post on my phone initially and didn't realize how big the screenshot was; changed img to timg

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 28, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope sorry, I need that kind of accuracy if I'm going to have any success identifying who the best posters are.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Would it be possible to extend the thread long-touch menu to include the original poster's name, total post count, and total views? This would be for forums or bookmark view, and would be a convenient place to show this info, I think

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

xzzy posted:

Nope sorry, I need that kind of accuracy if I'm going to have any success identifying who the best posters are.

In fact, lets put more decimal points please, thank you in advance.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
When's the next update due and what will it include? Hopefully a fix for my settings page issue :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

101 posted:

When's the next update due and what will it include? Hopefully a fix for my settings page issue :cheeky:

I just got an update. You might want to check the App Store to see if you have an update to.

• Locked thread