Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

Found a semi-local BGE dealer going out of business.

Niss and those who have one, what's a fair offer on a large? He tried to sell me one for 1100 with nest, wings, ash tool and 20lb charcoal and I laughed at him. He said to make him an offer.

I don't really want the nest as I'd like to build a table.

Thoughts?

If its new I wouldn't go any higher than $800 at the most. 1100 is crazy. I guess it all depends on how badly he wants to get rid of his stock. Make sure he throws in a plate setter as well.

niss fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

coronaball posted:

Wouldn't the sand/stones becomes a disgusting mess covered in chicken grease afterward? Do you just trash it once you're done? I've never done a higher heat smoke like that.

I guess it can't be worse than the awful water/pork droppings mixture after a large pork butt. My wife has landscaped nearly every square foot of my yard so I'm forced to dump it on the side of the house in a little pit I've dug. If I use the smoker a couple weekends in a row in the summer, it starts smelling absolutely terrible.

Get two garbage bags. Put one inside the other. Empty the charcoal ring and ashes into the garbage bags. Pour the water pan remnants over ashes.

Now you can throw your disgusting old meat drippings into the trash instead of hiding them behind the garage.

edit: hopefully this doesn't need to be said, but don't do this with hot ashes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

niss posted:

If its new I wouldn't go any higher than $800 at the most. 1100 is crazy. I guess it all depends on how badly he wants to get rid of his stock. Make sure he throws in a plate setter as well.

Yeah. I don't want any of the accessories mostly because I am going to build a table. Plate setter, etc i can buy anytime.

I will probably offer 550 for just the egg considering I will have to schlep to get it and set it up myself. I suspect he will say no and that'll be that.

Edit: and LOL this guy went off the hinges when I offered 700 for just the egg.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 22, 2013

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

I read you cover the thing in foil. The more I read I think I will just foil the empty pan and leave it at that.

I am not sure which method is better of the following though:
1) Smoke at lower heat for a longer time, then crisp up the skin by conventional grilling
2) Going high temp from start to finish (about an hour cook time total, 300+ temp, maybe 350).

Last night I did a mix of thighs and drumsticks at 350 for like 40m. I had the water bowl in there but empty. The skins were pretty crisp but I stuck them right above the coals for a little bit to further crisp. poo poo turned out great.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

cornface posted:

Get two garbage bags. Put one inside the other. Empty the charcoal ring and ashes into the garbage bags. Pour the water pan remnants over ashes.

Now you can throw your disgusting old meat drippings into the trash instead of hiding them behind the garage.

edit: hopefully this doesn't need to be said, but don't do this with hot ashes.

What I typically do is let my water pan sit in the smoker overnight after a smoke, and in the morning when all the fat and nasty stuff is congealed, I use a wire "spider" to fish out all the fat and grossness. That goes into the trash, and the rest goes down the drain.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

Yeah. I don't want any of the accessories mostly because I am going to build a table. Plate setter, etc i can buy anytime.

I will probably offer 550 for just the egg considering I will have to schlep to get it and set it up myself. I suspect he will say no and that'll be that.

Edit: and LOL this guy went off the hinges when I offered 700 for just the egg.

Try back in a week or two when he is more desperate for cash.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Astronaut Jones posted:

What I typically do is let my water pan sit in the smoker overnight after a smoke, and in the morning when all the fat and nasty stuff is congealed, I use a wire "spider" to fish out all the fat and grossness. That goes into the trash, and the rest goes down the drain.

This is what I did at first, as well, but you have to dispose of the ashes anyway, and it is faster and less messy than bobbing for fat chunks.

The only downside of this method is having to deal with the look of crushing disappointment on my dog's face as I dump the stinky fat water out into the trash bag instead of directly into her bowl.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

niss posted:

$1100 is crazy. I just purchased a Large BGE with the plate setter and ash tool for $800.

Almost done building a table for it, which cost me $150 total to build.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

niss posted:

Try back in a week or two when he is more desperate for cash.

The guy actually got really confrontational and combative, I actually don't trust the guy to tell me to drive down and then not show or not sell it to me.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
The annual home depot charcoal sale is on. 40 lb for $9.98. Stock up!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

coronaball posted:

Thanks for that.

BTW is smoking 9 ribs at once in a weber kettle doable, or is that a bad idea

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks for that.

BTW is smoking 9 ribs at once in a weber kettle doable, or is that a bad idea

9lbs is not a lot. That's like 2 or 3 racks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I mean 9 racks

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Steve Yun posted:

I mean 9 racks

I can barely fit 2 racks on my 22.5" kettle doing indirect heat. I have absolutely no idea how you'd fit 9.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

VERTiG0 posted:

I can barely fit 2 racks on my 22.5" kettle doing indirect heat. I have absolutely no idea how you'd fit 9.

Separate the individual ribs and build a giant ribs pyramid. Obviously.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
With a Smokenator I can use the bottom charcoal grill to hold several ribs with standing rib racks, then the food grill to hold a couple ribs, and then a hovergrill on top for a third level with standing rib racks. I could get 9 racks of ribs if I cut a few bones here and there. I'm just wondering if that much food is a problem temperature and smoke-wise?

edit: VVV awesome, yay! Gettin' my smoke on this weekend

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 24, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A standing rib rack let me smoke like 6 racks in my 18.5" WSM. It may have been 8, with 2 flat on the top rack and the rib rack on the bottom rack.

I had no problems with temp, I ahd to adjust vents a little higher and I added a little more smoke wood but they tasted great.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Doom Rooster posted:

If you like a little spice, and can find it, the Salt Lick BBQ rub is really, really good. The weird thing is that it is really strong, and tastes nothing like the BBQ at the restaurant, so they clearly do not actually use it themselves.

This is from last page but I wanted to second these thoughts. You can also just do 2 parts salt 1 part pepper which is his base ( and most others). Scott the owner talks about this in a video somewhere. Personally id skip the spice and just buy their sauce. I even use it on salads.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

coronaball posted:

Same at Lowes too. Can't wait to fill my shed up with another few hundred pounds of charcoal!

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

coronaball posted:

You guys are awesome, thanks for this tip. I'm loving this thread since I got my Weber smokey mountain last month. I've used it every week for the past six in a row!

Question, over the holiday weekend my wife and I are planning to brew a couple batches of beer on Sunday and have folks over for a BBQ the following day. I'm thinking about smoking a pork shoulder for pulled pork while brewing, since I'll already be outside, then reheating it the next day for the BBQ while grilling some chicken. My plan was to basically do all the pulling and mixing in the sauce that evening, then just reheating at 200 in the oven or so. I haven't done pulled pork yet in the smoker (due to the time needed) so just looking to see if this idea is sound. Thanks for any advice.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Trane posted:

You guys are awesome, thanks for this tip. I'm loving this thread since I got my Weber smokey mountain last month. I've used it every week for the past six in a row!

Question, over the holiday weekend my wife and I are planning to brew a couple batches of beer on Sunday and have folks over for a BBQ the following day. I'm thinking about smoking a pork shoulder for pulled pork while brewing, since I'll already be outside, then reheating it the next day for the BBQ while grilling some chicken. My plan was to basically do all the pulling and mixing in the sauce that evening, then just reheating at 200 in the oven or so. I haven't done pulled pork yet in the smoker (due to the time needed) so just looking to see if this idea is sound. Thanks for any advice.

I would recommend pulling it but not saucing it. Mix some extra rub in while you pull it, but add the sauce to what you're reheating. That way if you decide you want to do something else with the leftovers that doesn't involve barbecue sauce, you can. (chili, tacos, etc)

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Trane posted:

A freshly pulled pork shoulder, cooked properly, is a 10/10. It's about as good as BBQ gets. Call me a prude but I'd have trouble serving people what is basically leftovers on Memorial Day. If you wake up at 6 Am and start the shoulder and serve it around early dinner time or whatever (depending on size), it's something that people rave about. Why not cook the shoulder and cook chicken on a regular BBQ? (assuming you have one)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Pork shoulder is similar to a chuck roast. Cook it, cool it, reheat it, and it will be juicier and more flavorful.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

coronaball posted:

A freshly pulled pork shoulder, cooked properly, is a 10/10. It's about as good as BBQ gets. Call me a prude but I'd have trouble serving people what is basically leftovers on Memorial Day. If you wake up at 6 Am and start the shoulder and serve it around early dinner time or whatever (depending on size), it's something that people rave about. Why not cook the shoulder and cook chicken on a regular BBQ? (assuming you have one)

This is a dangerous game. If its an eight pound shoulder (which seems to be about the average size I see at the store) and takes 1.5 hours/pound, plus resting, pulling, getting the smoker going...overshooting dinner is a real possibility. I would definitely recommend getting up earlier than six and doing all the prep the day before you're cooking if you want to risk it.

Fresh > reheated > still cooking when people are hungry.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Trane posted:

Get a FoodSaver. You can pull the pork and seal it in a bag with some extra juice, then re-heat it in boiling water. It will be as good as when you pulled it off the pit. I keep about 20# of smoked pork and beef in my freezer at all times.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

coronaball posted:

I'd have trouble serving people what is basically leftovers

Fresh doesn't always mean better, and 'a day old' doesn't always mean worse.

Plus there is something to be said about being able to enjoy yourself at a party instead of worrying if the food you're slaving over is going to be ready in time.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I am so glad I got a Weber Smokey Mountain. Kicking back at your computer drinking a beer and keeping an eye on your smoker that is chugging along at a dead steady 225 is so satisfying. I'd need to baby the hell out of my Brinkman on a night like this.

cornface posted:

This is a dangerous game. If its an eight pound shoulder (which seems to be about the average size I see at the store) and takes 1.5 hours/pound, plus resting, pulling, getting the smoker going...overshooting dinner is a real possibility. I would definitely recommend getting up earlier than six and doing all the prep the day before you're cooking if you want to risk it.

Fresh > reheated > still cooking when people are hungry.

Which is why I started my Saturday BBQ smoke at 10 PM tonight. 9 Lb shoulder plus I like to give plenty of resting time and leave a bit of wiggle room. My smokes tend to run 2-3 hours past schedule.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Pork shoulder is similar to a chuck roast. Cook it, cool it, reheat it, and it will be juicier and more flavorful.

This might be the worst, most inaccurate post in the history of this forum. Much of the juice will be lost, the texture of the bark would be weird, and meat won't be nearly as tender.

GigaFool posted:

Fresh doesn't always mean better, and 'a day old' doesn't always mean worse.

Plus there is something to be said about being able to enjoy yourself at a party instead of worrying if the food you're slaving over is going to be ready in time.

No, but it usually does, especially when it comes to BBQ

If he's cooking a 9 lber then yeah, you need to start the night before. But for something small like a 5 lber, waking up at 6 AM is more than enough time to have it ready for dinner. And you don't "slave over" a WSM, the best feature of the thing is how well it holds temperature for hours on end. And if you have a probe you don't have to do anything at all.

edit: I confused shoulder with butts so maybe that's why the timing discrepancy.

coronaball fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 25, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

coronaball posted:

This might be the worst, most inaccurate post in the history of this forum. Much of the juice will be lost, the texture of the bark would be weird, and meat won't be nearly as tender.

Except it isn't. I've been doing it that way for banquets for years, and it's perfectly fine. Not dry, not tough, and bark texture isn't lost.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

coronaball posted:

No, but it usually does, especially when it comes to BBQ

Maybe you're doing something odd when you reheat it, I don't know. I don't agree with this sentiment at all.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Yea, even microwaved pulled pork leftovers are amazing and it's probably the worst possible way to reheat it. I've never had too much loss of quality from reheating regardless of method.

Doing a boneless shoulder today for the first time. My friend says he's had good luck with them in the past, so we'll see. Cool part was that we were able to apply rub to the inside space where the bone was. So that should be fun.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Smoking three of these today, can't wait to see how they turn out. I'll make sure to post pics of the results.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
One of those will kill a man. Whose family are you trying to exterminate?

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?
Thanks for the discussion on both sides of the "day old" pork shoulder.

I certainly understand the thoughts of the purists out there regarding getting up early the day of and getting it on the smoker. My issue is that I'm still learning how to accurately and effectively control temperature (until I can build a heatermeter that is), so the threat of it not finishing in time is a huge concern. Not to mention beer brewing is an equally long and demanding process (though possibly even more rewarding) and I don't think I can pull off two long days back to back.

I'll use it as a learning process and will post on the results. Again, really appreciate both sides chiming in with opinions.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

It's the weekend, so time to get the smoke on! Nothing better than worrying about dinner before breakfast.

Pork shoulder (~5 lbs) in a rub consisting of brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, thyme, hot pepper flakes, garlic & onion powder, ginger.

Using the awesome AMPS device and loaded it with a couple of different pellets. Black walnut in the beginning, then orange tree. We'll see if they blend together as I hope.

Verdict to be made in 10 hours.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

niss posted:

Smoking three of these today, can't wait to see how they turn out. I'll make sure to post pics of the results.

Nice work, I will have to post pictures of the ones I have done if I can find them.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I broke that dealer's will to live and the BGE comes home today. I beat the used egg fest price by over 200 dollars so I am pretty happy.

Building a table too.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.
Awesome, I haven't seen this topic before. Now that its BBQ season I want to join y'all.

I have a Gator Pit for larger cooks, but for single briskets/butts/ribs/etc I use my ugly drum smoker (who needs a new lid - the current one is unfortunately warped and needs a cinder block to hold it down).

My next project is to build an all stainless UDS. They work beautifully.

Made some pulled beef today using two 2lb chuck roasts.

Tastes a lot like an Italian Beef but with more Southwestern spice. Pulled pork is tastier, but pulled beef is a nice change of pace on occasion. Likely going to do a Brisket, complete with burnt ends for Memorial Day, so I will have some more pictures then.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

It's really too bad there's no place in Bedford to get meat at 2AM. Otherwise I'd have a few butts on the wsm right now BIG ONES!!!!!!!.

On a productive not I finally broke down and bought a gas grill for convenience. Plus I'll be able to smoke chicken halves low and slow then give em the gas to crisp the skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

I broke that dealer's will to live and the BGE comes home today. I beat the used egg fest price by over 200 dollars so I am pretty happy.

Building a table too.

Awesome. Glad it all worked out for you.