Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Ovues posted:

Too bad all you play now is Malarious or Nefarious or whatever that game is called.

It's called Malicious, and I played it once. I don't even really see how that's related. I meant we could play some Minecraft or Borderlands or something. You know, something with multiplayer.

quote:

Or how about this: IntelliegentCalcium, BioEnchanted, Serious George, and Daigerus - you all form your own team, I'll send you the un-commentated videos, and you deliver me the comedy gold that follows.

Unless I've misunderstood you, a 4 to 6 person commentary would be ridiculous. It sounds like you're trying to outsource your LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Or how about this: IntelliegentCalcium, BioEnchanted, Serious George, and Daigerus - you all form your own team, I'll send you the un-commentated videos, and you deliver me the comedy gold that follows.

Actually, I might be up for this, if at least one of the others is also on board. We could be like an Extras Edition, acting as a counterpoint to I&B's brand of commentary or something. Though like blanktester said, it might feel too much like outsourcing, but that's just me.

Also:

blanktester posted:

4 to 6 person commentary would be ridiculous

Ovues posted:

comedy gold

Why can't it be both?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

Actually, I might be up for this, if at least one of the others is also on board. We could be like an Extras Edition, acting as a counterpoint to I&B's brand of commentary or something. Though like blanktester said, it might feel too much like outsourcing, but that's just me.

I was kind of sort of kidding with that 'outsourcing' idea. I dunno, it was funnier in my head. We'll keep figuring it out.

But anyways, back to the game, and in this final area, I...uhh...guys, I have to admit something.

I...

I...

I had fun. Slightly.

Mountain Bike Adrenaline Part 7: Grand Canyon Stopwatch Mode

Text Link

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
What the hell is it with the best levels being the last ones in these games? Shaun White, Wakeboarding Unleashed, Freakstyle and now this. A couple of those runs actually looked like you were getting some pretty decent speed and momentum there.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

spamman posted:

What the hell is it with the best levels being the last ones in these games? Shaun White, Wakeboarding Unleashed, Freakstyle and now this. A couple of those runs actually looked like you were getting some pretty decent speed and momentum there.

While Shaun Palmer and Wakeboarding Unleashed had a common theme of 'the last level is an over-the-top theme park, screw any sense of realism', this game's last level is... the Grand Canyon. I really don't know why it works to be the best. blanktester thinks that maybe the developers did this level first and then lost interest in doing the rest of the game. Maybe because it's more overall downhill? Unlike the Alps, for example, which pooled into the shores of slowdown halfway through every run and then we were either on flat planes or going back up.

And I still think level 3 in Freekstyle was the best.

Serious George
Dec 29, 2010

In Britain, it means 'cigarettes'.

Ovues posted:

Also, you guys never actually got to see Skier X, didn't you? Well, come back to reality and think about how generic a character with the generic name "Skier X" would look. Basically, he's a lot more masked than you think he is. That is, of course, why Jonny Moseley doesn't know Skier X is his father until he takes off the mask.

Well, all adaptations take a few creative licences, besides if one is going to get Gary Oldman for a role they better not hide the man behind a mask. My only regret re: that picture is I didn't think to put Salomon logos all over it.

Also, one has to appreciate the cruelty in the fact that the one level you actually enjoyed thus far provided the shortest video yet. This game was obviously put together with torture in mind.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Wow. That was a hell of a way to go out for that game.

PS the secret twist ending of the story is that Skier X who is Moseley's father is also the son of the dude from the NES 'Skate or Die'

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

IntelligentCalcium posted:

Wow. That was a hell of a way to go out for that game.

PS the secret twist ending of the story is that Skier X who is Moseley's father is also the son of the dude from the NES 'Skate or Die'

But we still have one more episode? And if you think you've seen a sendoff, well, think again. What better could there be than a jumping event that I don't have to cheese? Or a dexterity event that actually ramps up the XTREME? Or the final bit of XTREME finally breaking through?

Also, I know I'm like a month late, but I'm finally checking the results for the X-Games Brazil that was in April, and congratulations to Jeremy Stenberg on winning the Best Motorcycle Whip competition. It's glad to see that even after spending the first 15 years of his life in a test tube as Johnny Demonic's evil secret project, he can turn things around and go on to real extremes. And maybe in a better game, our etreme sports BMX adventure could be more like this: Kyle Baldock BMX Dirt Gold Medal. Why am I linking X-Games vids? Well...(watch to the end of my new video)

And so with that, here's the last of Mountain Bike Adrenaline/Hill Bike Boredom/Hill Bike Bemusement

Mountain Bike Adrenaline Part 8: Grand Canyon Challenge Mode

Text Link

Oh and...uhh...if anyone wants to watch those videos we did that were mentioned, just search my channel for Mol Day 08 and 09.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 11, 2014

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Uneven-Terrain Bike Blase.

Rough-Trail Bike Indifference.

Geographical Feature Bike Mundanity.

Also I won't spoil the next game in order to force EVERYONE to watch to the end but wow. It can't possibly be any worse than what you've presented so far.

Melondog fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 9, 2013

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Farewell Hill Bike Bemusement.

You got kind of neat at the very end. I think I've played the demo of the one coming up and yeah, yikes.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
For this next game, I have run the gamut of game-LP-titles for you all. So just pick and choose from below, and then set off.

Rick McCrank's Awesome Adventure: Let's Play ESPN X Games Skateboarding!
Seriously, start pro skating! Let's Play ESPN X Games Skateboarding!
You thought it would be a Tony Hawk game? Too bad, it's just ESPN X Games Skateboarding!
Metal Wheel Solid: Pavement Eater! It's ESPN X Games Skateboarding!

Alternatively, you could just do gently caress me, it's another lovely extreme sports game if you're all nihilistic. But feel free to come up with your own titles.

What is this game?
ESPN X Games Skateboarding is a game made by Konami of all companies released in 2001 that tried to, of course, capitalize on the skating game trend at the time. Players take control of cool dude Rick McCrank or seven other random riders to go perform at the X Games and hopefully get those sweet gold medals. And you know me, man. You know I've got my sights on those gold medals.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how good is this game?
Ehh, it's not ludicrously unfun like HBB was, and after you spend a few minutes with the game, you become as adequate as you'll ever be at it. Still, the turning radius is awful on your character, and other parts of the whole system are just really second rate, and of course it's a cash in through and through, so it gets like a 3 to 4 on the scale.

So with that, let's load up the game and go win the X Games!

Is there anything more to the game than this? You'll just have to watch and see!

Text Link

And for reference, this was the gold medal vert run of the actual 2001 X Games. Don't tell me I didn't wreck this guy's poo poo :smuggo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I6wEL4g7ks

Insetik fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 12, 2013

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Rick McCrank just Rick McCranked the hell out of that Rick McCrank.

Rick McCrank.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

spamman posted:

Rick McCrank just Rick McCranked the hell out of that Rick McCrank.

Rick McCrank.

We get to it next video but blanktester and I decided that Rick McCrank would be the kind of guy to name his signature move something like "the Mick RcCrank". And dammit, despite the game flying against us on that, that's what I believe!

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Rick. McCrank.

Trained by legendary Canadian skate guru, Phil McCracken.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Rick McCrank begins his cross-country tour of destruction on the west coast, tearing up a small block in LA and then getting in on the dinosaur-bones-grinding action.

Rick McCrank.

ESPN X Games Skateboarding Arcade Part 1: LA and Museum

Text Link

So apparently there's an X Games Barcelona tonight, and I guess there's going to be like 6 X Games events this year or something? Well, just imagine they made 6 X Games video games about them. Wooooo!

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Rick McCrank is the sort of guy that needs a folk song written about him.

An xtreme folk song.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Rick. McCrank.

Trained by legendary Canadian skate guru, Phil McCracken.

True fact: Rick McCrank is the great grandson of legendary skate pioneer Gerald "Thunder" O'Tigerbeard.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my God. I rented this game as a kid. It's every bit as mediocre as I don't remember.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Red Suit posted:

Oh my God. I rented this game as a kid. It's every bit as mediocre as I don't remember.

Congratulations on having very neutral memories of this very neutral game.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Rick McCrank isn't just a Rick McCrank-like mythical Rick McCrank. Rick McCrank is the realest Rick McCrank that ever Mick RcCranked on this giant blue Rick McCrank of a rock.

Which begs the question. What if Rick McCrank saw some stairs in San Francisco?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoppXO9q3Ag&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

spamman posted:

He Rick McCrank'ed the poo poo over those stairs!

As for the game, it looks pleasantly generic. Not horrifically bugged out and broken, it's just... there.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
This is the most loving generic extreme sports game ever.

Oh hey, you guys should do the old as gently caress MS-DOS extreme games-game. I spent a lot of time on that when I was little. :v:

Edit This is the one, oh yeah http://www.mobygames.com/game/espn-extreme-games

-Anders fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 20, 2013

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

spamman posted:

Rick McCrank isn't just a Rick McCrank-like mythical Rick McCrank. Rick McCrank is the realest Rick McCrank that ever Mick RcCranked on this giant blue Rick McCrank of a rock.

You are either able to see the future or I said at the end of the last video what the next level was, because in this episode, we're going to the slight hills and small inclines of San Francisco! And then we're going to go on a cruise ship.

But seeing that video has inspired me to try the Rick McCrank streetskaterstyle challenge, which is to pass the point goals on the levels using only flip tricks, grinds, and manuals. Don't do any those sick vert tricks, you know?

ESPN X Games Skateboarding Arcade Mode Part 2: San Fran & Cruise Ship

Text Link

I know the game's just generic, but it provides all the backstory on Rick McCrank needed for you to fully understand the next part of his universal destruction tour. It chronicles the story of him laying waste to the entire United States and also a cruise ship somewhere.

EDIT:

drasticactions posted:

He Rick McCrank'ed the poo poo over those stairs!

As for the game, it looks pleasantly generic. Not horrifically bugged out and broken, it's just... there.

Hmmmm is this fanart... I dunno man, I mean it IS Rick McCrank but...

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Ovues posted:

Hmmmm is this fanart... I dunno man, I mean it IS Rick McCrank but...

Yeah, it's kinda hard to tell. I guess it's "Fan"art? Ironic Art?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anything depicting Rick McCrank is art.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Endorph posted:

Anything depicting Rick McCrank is art.

'Video games = art' right here

Checkmate, may future arguments forever link to this post.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

McCrank! You're off the case! Turn in your board and badge!

I haven't really said much about this game because frankly there's nothing really to be said about it. At least some of the other games you've done for the thread have had some kind of hook or uniqueness to them; they've tried to be something special. This is the first one that genuinely feels like a tie-in cash-grab riding on the whole 'x-games' name. It's entirely mediocre, not horribad like some of the other games, or even amusingly and entertainingly awful. There's not even any ridiculous storyline potential. As amazing a name as 'Rick McCrank' is...eeeeh. Best of luck getting through this thing though.

Melondog fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 21, 2013

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

It's entirely mediocre, not horribad like some of the other games, or even amusingly and entertainingly awful.

Looking at the reviews, all you see are 5/10's and C's... except one not listed there is from Famitsu, which somehow saw fit to give it an average 83. I could only find the full review via google search of 2ch, but they really like the "Smooth, precise" controls, and how you progress through the levels.

Maybe they never played other skateboarding games? Maybe they liked it more because it's by Konami? We may never know... or care...

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Yeah, this looks like a completely mediocre game. I'm not seeing anything outright terrible unless compared to the more arcade-y, and more fun, THPS.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
It's ok, it'll be over soon. And next video we do actually come up with a plot that turns everything on its head. It's a season finale. A real cliffhanger. But it's also 2 ok-ly made levels, so yeah, I'll just get to really recording the next game and Rick McCrank these out.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
In this video, blanktester learns a new word, we make a plea to anyone who lives in New York, and I plug my fantasy novel that I'm 405 chapters in but technically I started on the 400th chapter. Also, we wrap up ESPN X Games Skateboarding by visiting the last 2 levels: New York and Ruins.

ESPN X Games Skateboarding Arcade Mode Part 3: New York & Ruins

Text Link

Also, if you're reeeeally invested in the 'plot', I thought about what happened here a bit more afterwards, and so as far as I can tell, this is what happens: Rick McCrank is sealed in a time vault, wakes up in a 'bad future' where everything's in ruins, skates sick lines through the ruins anyways, then manages to go back in time to try to stop whatever armageddon happened. But, of course, maybe it's just New York then next day after he got done with it. And I hope at least one other person in this thread has played Evolution Skateboarding, because it seems like there should be at least one. I'd heard of it before, which is more than I can say about any game that's been done since Freestyle Metal X.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

I know there are a few other games that give you a chance to equip better gear but make it not visible. Can't think of any at the moment, though; didn't Skyrim have that ability? Agreed that it's a really great feature, though. What's the point of being able to customize your character's look if doing so kills your stats?

Also I used to live in upstate NY and I can totally confirm it's just dirty everywhere. (Not a joke, Onondaga Lake, seriously). Buffalo? Filthy. Rochester? Awful. Utica? In shambles. Watertown? More like sewer water town amirite. Syracuse? Gross as hell. Binghamton? ...I can't talk poo poo about sorry. Corning? Caked in filth.

(Incidentally if you guys ever want to shoot the poo poo over skype sometime to see if there's any comedy potential send me a PM or hit me up on the twitters @foxboxpdx)

Edit: Journey to the center of Rick McCrank, a psychological xtreme skating thriller.

Edit 2: Johnny Demonic is an extreme-sports Imp from Doom!

Melondog fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 24, 2013

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Its new York 2000 ARMC (after Rick McCrank)

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

More Rick McCrank? It's like every dream I've ever had has come true.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
American Wasteland Classic mode had a ruin level too. But it was better as it was the remains of a destroyed city, including an acid drop off a 50 story skyscraper :rock::black101: Also it looked interesting. I was never any good at it though because of a lack of skill, and the Xbox 360 dpad sucked. Still fun however, which is why I still like to try to play them :3:

Serious George
Dec 29, 2010

In Britain, it means 'cigarettes'.
Okay, so clearly in that last level you have traversed the boundary between games and ended up in Morrowind, chasing Dagoth Ur around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The story takes place 20 years after the dimensional bomb. Torn between the Three Nations (Advanced European Union, Human Reform League and Britannia-Union), the world is still unstable and dimensional mummies (also known as DAMON) emerge from nothing whenever there is a dimensional quake.

Our hero, Rick McCrank is...

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Where have you gone, Mr. Ouveson
Lets Play reads you more than you will know
whoa whoa whoa
What's that you say, Mr. Ouveson
Xtreme Sports will update any day
hey hey hey

hey hey hey

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I dunno man, I got outreferenced and then felt bad and then spent a day or two wondering why upscaling my video trying to get that sick HD sent my video back into 4:3 and I went "gently caress it, blanktester, get over here and let's record one." I read everyone's posts, yeah that's all pretty good.

spamman posted:

More Rick McCrank? It's like every dream I've ever had has come true.

Dream on.

Rick McCrank's Power Hour Part 2: Let's Play Evolution Skateboarding

What is this game?
Evolution Skateboarding is the skating game that Konami actually wanted to make. At least, I think so. Released a year after ESPN X Games Skateboarding, this game improved on all the things that game did, and tried to have its own mechanics instead of just being absolutely middle-of-the-road generic. These include a grinding system where you have literally perfect balance for, like, 3 seconds before you just get thrown off the rail, a manual system that requires frame-perfect timing to jump out of and continue a combo, and other things like that. However, there are some cool things that I kind of half-explain in the first video, like the special combo system, the trick additions, and especially the level progression system. Each character has their own Arcade Mode path of 6 levels (out of the 15 total), but also objectives will be slightly different for each character. If one person goes to a certain level first, they'll have a few easy goals to do, whereas if another character goes to a certain place last, they'll have more goals that will be harder and objects might even be in different locations. Since you'll only see 6 of the levels with Rick McCrank, I'll do another playthrough with a different person to show off more levels afterwards. Probably only one other person, though. Also, this game has boss battles.

That sounds pretty XTREME. Is the game any good?
While it is more... nuanced than Konami's previous attempt at this, I wouldn't really call Evolution Skateboarding good. Everything just feels very clunky and slow. All the systems still feel like they're halfway there. Compare gameplay from this to gameplay from the Tony Hawk games and you'll see that this feels more limited. Hell, Aggressive Inline came out the same year - compare this to that, even. This doesn't ever feel 'fluid' to me. So, though Konami did do some interesting things in this game, it still only gets a 5 or 6 out of 10.

Let's begin!

Arcade Mode Part 1: Philadelphia and Plant

Text Link

Hopefully at least one of you has played this before. And yes, apparently this is canon in the Metal Gear Solid universe. That opens up a whole hell of a lot of plot opportunities, so go wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Clearly then the answer to ALL plot points and questions is: Ocelot did it.

Edit: If Squeenix made an xtreme sports game it would somehow involve belts. Lots of belts. And huge spiky hair.

Melondog fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 28, 2013

• Locked thread