Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Fraction posted:

Get them all.

This is the only correct answer.

This is Pet Island.

We're enablers.

Get them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Thanks guys! You know my BF follows this thread and reaaaaally doesn't need any more encouragement. Seriously though, I'm maybe leaning to the smaller white? Breeder said she thought the black one was the cutest though... We'll also be getting the little girl on the right here:

e: omg the breeder just posted saying this one is available for reservation omg she is so pretty

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 14, 2013

Springly
Dec 10, 2011

Invalid Octopus posted:

Thanks guys! You know my BF follows this thread and reaaaaally doesn't need any more encouragement. Seriously though, I'm maybe leaning to the smaller white?

The smaller white is the runt, I know it's adorable but you'll be setting yourself up for early health issues and heartbreak. One of my current ones was the runt (there were 3 left, I took them all). He's already been to the vet 5 times at 6 months old for a bunch of problems while the others haven't been at all. drat my soft, squishy heart.

But yeah take them all.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Springly posted:

The smaller white is the runt, I know it's adorable but you'll be setting yourself up for early health issues and heartbreak. One of my current ones was the runt (there were 3 left, I took them all). He's already been to the vet 5 times at 6 months old for a bunch of problems while the others haven't been at all. drat my soft, squishy heart.

But yeah take them all.

They're not all from the same litter.

Ghost Party
Feb 9, 2013
Indigo jacking my wallet.

Here's Wishbone rummaging through clothes.

What's this?

Oh, it's previously missing Moonchild! (who's location was revealed by a trail of wet dog food)

They appreciate my messy room.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Those are some especially cute rats you have there :3:. I decided on some babies, too: the agouti and black ones (as well as the DR)!

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

They're adorable :3:

Today I discovered that giving young rats grapes for the first time then giving them shoulder rides two hours later is a Bad Idea.

the smell :gonk:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

rest here: http://imgur.com/a/AxjpL

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 17, 2013

Ghost Party
Feb 9, 2013
These are awesome! I love your black/white rat. He reminds me of a cow and it's adorable.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Ghost Party posted:

These are awesome! I love your black/white rat. He reminds me of a cow and it's adorable.

Thanks! Oswald is definitely the sweetest rat I own. I used this gif program and it's pretty easy to get the hang of: http://blog.bahraniapps.com/?page_id=21

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
So I lost Jack. He was just over two and lived a super great rat life. I'm sad.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Olive Bar posted:

Aww, that sucks. I'm sorry.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Olive Bar posted:

Sorry for your loss.

Ghost Party
Feb 9, 2013
I'm sorry, Olive Bar. It's a shame how short rat's lives are.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Thanks guys and it is such a shame that they live such short lives but he left me with a ton of good memories.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I have bad news as well. My house sitter emailed me a few hours ago to let me know that Mordin had passed away. He says it looks like he was just going about his business and died quietly, possibly while napping.

It's unfortunate that I wasn't able to be there, but I knew it was a possibility when I signed on to the job out here.

Ghost Party
Feb 9, 2013
This has not been a good week for rats. I'm sorry for your loss, as well :( At least all these rats lived happy, comfortable lives with people who loved them.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I'm so sorry about Jack and Mordin, guys :smith:

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
As sad as their short little lives are, I've always taken comfort in that it allows me to meet and enjoy many more rats than I would if they had longer ones. On that note, I'll be picking up my babies on Monday, I think! The breeder doesn't have them leave til 6 weeks and my boyfriend's running a bachelor party out of town this weekend, or I'd have them NOW if I could. :argh:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Invalid Octopus posted:

As sad as their short little lives are, I've always taken comfort in that it allows me to meet and enjoy many more rats than I would if they had longer ones. On that note, I'll be picking up my babies on Monday, I think! The breeder doesn't have them leave til 6 weeks and my boyfriend's running a bachelor party out of town this weekend, or I'd have them NOW if I could. :argh:

Yeah, that is the good thing IMO about small animals' small lifespan. I can't wait to see baby rat pix!

Pandora's breathing is squeaky again, but she has no discharge from her nose or anything. Last time I took her in the vets were just like 'no discharge no problem'. So, IDK if I should take her in again or just leave her as she is.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Recently Donut (hooded dumbo) passed away, and Biscuit (my double rex/testicle) is sick and my vet doesn't know what it is, but he lost weight suddenly. Rats why :smith:

On the bright side, Cubone is still probably the healthiest rat I've owned. I've had her for a year and she was already full grown when I adopted her so I'm not really sure how old she is, but she hasn't even sniffled for as long as I've had her. I'm hoping my next rats act like her even though it has been such a pain trying to find a rat that puts up with her antics. I think part of her "rat autism" might be because she was apparently gotten at a young age and isolated, so never really got the chance to learn to be around other rats. I'm surprised she's done so well considering most isolated rats I've dealt with have been an absolute nightmare.

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
One of my rats is at that stage where he is losing weight gradually and not in the greatest shape. Jade can still run around and is active but he looks like he has an hour glass shape now. No bones protruding out yet, but he does feel lighter and looks skinnier. We have a vet appointment tomorrow morning to discuss nutrition and further care. He's already on doxy and baytril and has been on it consistently for months now. I have a feeling he's only got a couple of more months to live. There's the option of nubulizing but I will have to talk to my vet about it.

I wish he would eat nutri-cal out of the tube. He refuses to eat it and my other two rats go apeshit for it. He loves yogurt though and I've been sticking with that until I have time today to get some baby food.

Obligated pics. (the rat in question is on the top)

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Oh my god, look at that face on the bottom! I love that photo so much.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things for your old boy. Hopefully he takes to the baby food and it helps get some weight on him. It seems like he's still happy.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

I think my favourite thing about rats is their tiny little hands. :3:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Today I went with some friends to a kids science museum, and they had a show where two rats played basketball.

The best part of it wasn't even that they could put the ball in the hoop. It was how after they put the ball in the hoop, they would try to keep the ball with them and hide it from the other rat while they got the treat for the basket, so that when they were done eating their treat they would still have the ball so they could put it in the hoop again for another treat. Then the other one would come steal it out from underneath, and repeat the attempt at ball hoarding for maximum Cheerio receiving. :kimchi:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

A display like that at the Virginia Science Museum is actually what got me interested in owning rats :)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
One of my girls will now fling herself on the bars for treats when you call her name and it is adorb. I have tried other words but I'm pretty sure she knows her name. :neckbeard:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

My rats still don't know their names. They respond to The Treat Noise though sooooo.

I have an infestation in my yard :(

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

A display like that at the Virginia Science Museum is actually what got me interested in owning rats :)

Ugh, I'd love to have rats, but I'm already a ferret person and those two kind of conflict. Although, if I ever take a break from ferrets, rats would be a good choice, as I'm already used to small animals that can get into anything, are completely chock full of tumors, and break your heart utterly by dying too soon. :smithcloud:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
^^^I'm the opposite, I would love ferrets but I have rats. Anyway, I think ferrets are higher maintenance? True/false?

Superconsndar posted:

One of my girls will now fling herself on the bars for treats when you call her name and it is adorb. I have tried other words but I'm pretty sure she knows her name. :neckbeard:

Each of my boys (except Finn cause he's half-deaf and kinda "special") know their names and will pop their heads out if you call them by name. Its super cute. I should get a video.

Fraction, your rats are so adventurous! If I take mine outside, they definitely enjoy it but they mostly sit in the neck of my shirt and sniff a lot. If I put them on the ground they will try to climb me.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 26, 2013

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Big Bug Hug posted:

^^^I'm the opposite, I would love ferrets but I have rats. Anyway, I think ferrets are higher maintenance? True/false?

Possibly. They're less socially inclined than rats, so even my most people-friendly ferret doesn't really give a gently caress most of the time unless I have a treat. :downs:

Ghost Party
Feb 9, 2013

Fraction, I love the print of your dress and bag! Also, your rat is cute, too.

So I have two questions. My baby rat has red stuff coming out of his eyes. I read that this is a sign of stress and different websites told me I should be freaking out now or it's not a big deal if he otherwise appears healthy. He seems fine, does anybody have any experience with this?

Also, my biggest rat has taken to nipping the back of my arm when I'm not looking. Why does he do this? He is otherwise super cuddly and likes to lie in my lap for pets but he loves nipping me when I'm doing something and then dashing off. I can't tell if it's a game or what.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Ghost Party posted:

So I have two questions. My baby rat has red stuff coming out of his eyes. I read that this is a sign of stress and different websites told me I should be freaking out now or it's not a big deal if he otherwise appears healthy. He seems fine, does anybody have any experience with this?

Also, my biggest rat has taken to nipping the back of my arm when I'm not looking. Why does he do this? He is otherwise super cuddly and likes to lie in my lap for pets but he loves nipping me when I'm doing something and then dashing off. I can't tell if it's a game or what.

Yeah, porphyrin is really common. It can be an indicator of unwellness if the rat has other symptoms, but on its own I wouldn't stress about it.

Ghost Party
Feb 9, 2013

Invalid Octopus posted:

Yeah, porphyrin is really common. It can be an indicator of unwellness if the rat has other symptoms, but on its own I wouldn't stress about it.

Thanks! I was worried it was blood at first. Rats are simultaneously super hardy and sickly all at the same so I never know what to think.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Big Bug Hug posted:

Fraction, your rats are so adventurous! If I take mine outside, they definitely enjoy it but they mostly sit in the neck of my shirt and sniff a lot. If I put them on the ground they will try to climb me.

If I take out anyone but Chell or Moxxi, they're really nervous about going on the ground. Those two are my most confident. Pandora is an adventurer, but gets spooked really easily. Chell and Moxxi seem to enjoy it when they do go out though.

Ghost Party posted:

Thanks! :3:

Ghost Party posted:

Thanks! I was worried it was blood at first. Rats are simultaneously super hardy and sickly all at the same so I never know what to think.

I'm definitely like this, and I've overreacted a bunch before (zipping an "ill" rat to the vet asap). I still find it hard to distinguish normal rat nuttiness from dying rats.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Amelia may be the lickingest rat in the universe. I've never had a rat that just wants to lick every square inch of my face before. Bestrat :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I wish I had licky rats, I just have these dumb things:

Pandora is so pale these days.

:mad:

Also trying liners in the cage again because lol I hate myself :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Liners are the best. Have you tried using binder clips to hold the fleece down around the edges? I haven't, but it seems like a pretty popular technique.

Re: rat names, the only one who responds to his name is Moomin. But he's a very catlike rat, and won't run over or anything, just perk up and look in your direction. All the rats get along very well, sleep together, etc, but I guess the boyrats just tend towards roughhousing because I found another cut on Moom's neck today. I had all the rats freeranging the other day, and Oswald ran to the cage to pick up a lab block (I have some in their grain mix), and then carried it over to the couch to eat it in comfort :3:.