Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just browsing through the new releases. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

SynthOrange posted:

Well it's from Good Game Studio so it's probably pretty good

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I can't tell which game that's copying. Help me out here.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I hope this doesn't count as too spammy (so I'll keep it brief) but I made my puzzle game, Reversion, free for the weekend. It's a match-3 at heart but has a couple of unique modes and twists. Any feedback gratefully appreciated! :)

AppShopper link
iTunes link

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Kinkajou posted:

Any recommendations for a longish game? I'll be spending a fair amount of time on planes this summer and could use a game that either has a long story, open world gameplay, or sim style gameplay. I feel like every ipad game I have has the same "play this while taking a poo poo" gameplay style and it'd be nice to try something with a little more depth. Something that isn't too difficult or stressful since I'm looking to relax. Thanks.

Yeah, the already recommended The Quest is basically Daggerfall, although it looks a bit rear end on ipad. Paradoxish mentioned anything from Spiderweb Software and they are also decent, if you can get past the dev being a smug neckbeard. The World Ends With You and Baldur's Gate SE also got ported to ipad if you're into them.

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat

SynthOrange posted:

I'd fondle it admiringly.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Froist posted:

I hope this doesn't count as too spammy (so I'll keep it brief) but I made my puzzle game, Reversion, free for the weekend. It's a match-3 at heart but has a couple of unique modes and twists. Any feedback gratefully appreciated! :)

AppShopper link
iTunes link

This is an acceptable game for pooping.

Actually, it's pretty interesting - the "flip what you want to move" mechanic can be played just like Bejeweled, but as I wrap my head around it, I can see better options for doing interesting combos. Still getting my head around it. I am confused and intrigued by what "Linguist" mode might be.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

petewhitley posted:

edit: oh yeah that Warhammer Quest game comes out next week that apparently has nearly unlimited replay value.

Holy poo poo I had no idea this was a thing. Just watched a gameplay vid and I am now super-excited about it. Faithful port of an amazing board game that's been out of print for over a decade and sells for $250+ on the secondary market? Yes loving please!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SynthOrange posted:

Man they could at least try to pretend they aren't completely ripping off Puzzle & Dragon. :psyduck:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Lawen posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea this was a thing. Just watched a gameplay vid and I am now super-excited about it. Faithful port of an amazing board game that's been out of print for over a decade and sells for $250+ on the secondary market? Yes loving please!

Isn't kingdom rush 2 coming out next week too? between that, Phoenix Wright HD, and Warhammer this is going to be a great week for the ios.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DrManiac posted:

Isn't kingdom rush 2 coming out next week too?

Well gently caress between this and Frozen Synapse my iPad will be plugged to a wall non-stop so I can play all day.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Is Kingdom Rush 2 mobile only or will Armor Games have a version up on their website?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I've just gotten into Tumulus of Fen on the advice of that one dude, and he's right, this game's pretty great. It's very bare bones, but extremely well-balanced in its simplicity. And the sound really is fantastic, the dungeon noises are creepy as poo poo. I didn't find the controls to be a problem at all. The only thing I don't like is that you can't mess with your equipment in town, you gotta go into the Fen to do that.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Pocket Tactics has informed us that Playdek is having a full catalog sale. If you don't already have Ascension, shame on you. Take note that Summoner Wars is always free but the "get everything" IAP is also discounted to 99 cents.

Also mentioned in the article is Days of Wonder's Small World. I've been meaning to pick up Small World at some point, and it's currently the cheapest it's ever been. It still blows my mind that I can get my hands on some board games for a tenth of the price of the physical version.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?

runchild posted:

Also mentioned in the article is Days of Wonder's Small World. I've been meaning to pick up Small World at some point, and it's currently the cheapest it's ever been. It still blows my mind that I can get my hands on some board games for a tenth of the price of the physical version.

If you bite the bullet on Small World before I do, please post your thoughts. I've had that on my watch list forever, but I've heard the port could be better.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I would never have thought that I'd see the day where the Phoenix Wright Trilogy HD games would finally be released. This is such great news!

(Now I just hope I will be able to play the games on my iPad 1/iPhone 4 :v:)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Duranki posted:

If you bite the bullet on Small World before I do, please post your thoughts. I've had that on my watch list forever, but I've heard the port could be better.

It is getting a much more modernized, improved port (I think the original was an iPad 1 launch title?) after a recent successful kickstarter (launching by the end of the summer, I think) -- it'll be a free update to the original app though, and not cost a cent if you already owned it, so now might not be a bad time to buy!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So i'm downloading Ascension cause that game is fun as hell, does it use gamecenter or anything for grouping up with friends? I'd rather not rely on total strangers.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

SpookyLizard posted:

So i'm downloading Ascension cause that game is fun as hell, does it use gamecenter or anything for grouping up with friends? I'd rather not rely on total strangers.

Yep, Gamecenter.

And that's exciting to hear about Small World, I'm definitely getting it now. I'll try to get a game in next Saturday with my board game buddy so I can report on the multiplayer (it currently doesn't have online play, maybe that will be in the new version?). But it might not be on sale anymore by that point. I'll try some AI matches before that and report.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

runchild posted:

Yep, Gamecenter.

And that's exciting to hear about Small World, I'm definitely getting it now. I'll try to get a game in next Saturday with my board game buddy so I can report on the multiplayer (it currently doesn't have online play, maybe that will be in the new version?). But it might not be on sale anymore by that point. I'll try some AI matches before that and report.

here's some details-- multiplayer for up to 5 people (upgraded from just 2), online asynchronous play, and 3 expansions available via IAP with a generous boardgame-like policy where only one person in a group needs to own the expansion for everybody to play it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Not a game-specific question, but maybe you all will have an answer; Is there a way to dismiss an app update? One of my apps has an update waiting that's going to remove some features I like, and I obviously don't want that. Is there any way to remove the update from the AppStore tab?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

How many chapters are in each of the two new games? I definitely wouldn't mind paying for some more PW.

Saw two people answer, but I don't think either of them got it right. For the record, the first has five chapters, because one got added to the DS version when they ported it from GBA and released it internationally. The second has four, and the third has five, but those didn't have any additional cases added to them, so they're the same as the original GBA versions.

(Spoilered just in case somebody doesn't want to know how many cases there are)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

jivjov posted:

Not a game-specific question, but maybe you all will have an answer; Is there a way to dismiss an app update? One of my apps has an update waiting that's going to remove some features I like, and I obviously don't want that. Is there any way to remove the update from the AppStore tab?

It's definitely something that can be done on a jailbroken phone, but nah, not on a standard one, sorry :(

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Bummey posted:

The Quest is the best long term game. :c00lbert:

Congrats, this post prompted me to check out The Quest and I think it's the game I've been wanting since I got an iPhone. :)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

tankadillo posted:

Congrats, this post prompted me to check out The Quest and I think it's the game I've been wanting since I got an iPhone. :)

There are, like, over a dozen expansions. Get the lite version first because it'll last you a while and you can get the hang o the game before finding out if its right for you or not.

Also, every expansion app has a button on the main menu like 'enable expansion in the quest' which will switch over to your main The Quest app (regular or gold) and unlock the ability to play its content there. That way you can have all the expansions without cluttering up a screen with more icons than you need. Or you can play in the standalone expansion app, whatever. I prefer to use my character from the main game and do it all in one place rather than using a pre-generated one-off character.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

devilmouse posted:

They're making pretty decent money off Book of Heroes, it hangs out in top 100 grossing... (though this wasn't until Kabam started publishing it).

I was the one who brought them to Kabam. A great case study of why publishers are needed for a lot of indies.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Eschers Basement posted:

This is an acceptable game for pooping.

Actually, it's pretty interesting - the "flip what you want to move" mechanic can be played just like Bejeweled, but as I wrap my head around it, I can see better options for doing interesting combos. Still getting my head around it. I am confused and intrigued by what "Linguist" mode might be.

Thanks! Yeah you can easily play it exactly like Bejeweled, but if you can wrap your head around the mechanic then I think you can do a lot more..

I assume you've unlocked Linguist mode by now (it doesn't take long), but that's the most distinct mode - I actually toyed with making it its own game for a long time before adding it in an update.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

goferchan posted:

It's definitely something that can be done on a jailbroken phone, but nah, not on a standard one, sorry :(

Hrm, well drat. Guess I'm stuck with that notification for all eternity (or until I inevitably forget and accidently hit "Update all")

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Lawen posted:

I don't usually get into time-management games (Cook, Serve, Delicious being the only exception that springs to mind) but picked up Royal Envoy 2 when it went free and have been really enjoying it. It's still free, so give it a try if you like that type of game at all.

Actually, I'm not even sure it counts as time management, as there is some required strategy to what you build and in what order but you are racing against the clock. It's more of a cross genre hybrid I guess. Real time management strategy?

This game is really awesome, and yes it has a lot more strategy than most time-management games as it requires you to build certain structures, then demolish them and build something else in their place when needed, and you actually have to properly manage your resources, not just execute a series of clicks within a time limit. You can and do lose before time runs out if you misallocate resources.

The 'free' version actually requires you to pay $4.99 after the first 15 or so levels (yes even the premium version, unless I'm missing something) but it's worth the money imo.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Anyone playing the new Ultima game? It's pretty buggy - I'm at a spot where I'm supposed to get a new spell to get past a part, but I can't select the spell.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Anyone playing the new Ultima game? It's pretty buggy - I'm at a spot where I'm supposed to get a new spell to get past a part, but I can't select the spell.

I tried playing it and then promptly deleted it, my life is worse for the experience.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

jivjov posted:

Hrm, well drat. Guess I'm stuck with that notification for all eternity (or until I inevitably forget and accidently hit "Update all")

I just keep it on its own, final home screen page with settings so I don't have to look at their red dots all the time.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

greasyhands posted:

The 'free' version actually requires you to pay $4.99 after the first 15 or so levels (yes even the premium version, unless I'm missing something) but it's worth the money imo.

The free version I picked up about a week ago (Royal Envoy 2 HD Premium) is in fact totally free, I've played through almost the entire game without having to pay to unlock anything. It's absolutely worth $5 though if that's no longer the case.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
Are there any Wazhack guilds going? I'd like to try out the multiplayer!

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I hit the paywall on my Warrior a while back and decided i'd like to throw the dollar in to continue playing him, but the transaction will not go through. When trying to resume the character I get a message that I need to pay, and when I try the store option on the main menu it just says the app store must be busy.

Is this a known issue, is there a workaround?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Uh whoa rootworks sounds cool as gently caress, I don't have an iPad but someone with one should report back!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I have to say, Dead Ahead is probably the first endless runner that has gotten my attention in a very long time if only because it looks gorgeous. I just wish the ads were a bit less annoying but I guess that's just all the more encouragement to throw the game a couple bucks.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!

Vadun posted:

I hit the paywall on my Warrior a while back and decided i'd like to throw the dollar in to continue playing him, but the transaction will not go through. When trying to resume the character I get a message that I need to pay, and when I try the store option on the main menu it just says the app store must be busy.

Is this a known issue, is there a workaround?

Not sure but the dev is active here: http://www.reddit.com/r/WazHack/

I'd make a post about it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Any goons still playing Say the Same Thing? This game scratches an itch I've always had, but most of my goon partners seem to have stopped or aren't playing often at all. Add SpeakY10k and know, if I'm not playing it is because I work ~50 hours a week bartending, and another 10-20 doing construction--but I play nearly every day, and when I do, I session play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
It was a fad for a few hours until we all got sick of each other playing the game wrong. I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm over it.

• Locked thread