Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Prison Warden posted:

One my favourite things about the Eren-Titan, and thus human-Titan in general, reveal is it changes the nature of the conflict entirely. Rather than a man vs nature conflict, it's really more of a man vs man conflict. I wouldn't be surprised if the titans, and intelligent titans like Ymir and the Sasquatch Titan turn out to be from another human nation, for example.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Given Reiner and Berty were from the same village and are both titans, it's entirely possible. Isn't the area of the outer most walls supposed to be about the size of France? Forget where I read that. But if the planet as a whole is the same size as ours, that leaves a ton of space for other nations.
"We created demons to fight the dragons" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jackard posted:

"We created demons to fight the dragons" :v:

Yeah, I'm just a little bit afraid that it might go that way. Though maybe that twist worked out? I stopped reading about then.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Given Reiner and Berty were from the same village and are both titans, it's entirely possible. Isn't the area of the outer most walls supposed to be about the size of France? Forget where I read that. But if the planet as a whole is the same size as ours, that leaves a ton of space for other nations.

I do wonder if they're really from the same 'village' or if that was more of a shared metaphor they agreed upon so they could talk about their homeland with each other openly.

I do think it is possible that the series will turn into revolution against the powers that be within the walls. The cult and the royalty have been shown to be somewhat bad so far. And I do think it would make dramatic sense to happen as it has been set up pretty consistently since the beginning of the manga. The people on the outside rings have to deal with titan attacks while everyone on the inside gets the safety of extra walls and human victims as well as the military police dudes. Then they do stuff like send people out to die after the first titan attack. Bring the most skilled military recruits to the interior to control the population rather than fight their enemies. People don't forget that poo poo.

And I can definitely see Eren, Mikasa, and Armin playing their part in it even if it is beyond their normal roles. I agree it would not be an all-out war though. More like an attempt at a bloodless coup that goes to hell when some person or another turns out to be a ridiculous titan.

If the plot does go this way, I don't think it will be for along time though. They've recently introduced a few more external forces like Squatchmo Jones and whatever Ymir's deal is that will probably be dealt with first.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

Metropolis posted:

I do wonder if they're really from the same 'village' or if that was more of a shared metaphor they agreed upon so they could talk about their homeland with each other openly.

I feel the same way about this. Every time Reiner and Bert bring up their home village it comes off awkward to me.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Metropolis posted:

Except they both talk about a titan eating shared friends at a shared village, with that titan turning out to be Ymir and they both recognize her as being the titan that ate their shared friends at a shared village.

I mean, yeah, they're totally talking about a place outside of the walls but I'm pretty sure they do also come from the same village in that place. Even if not by birth, then they shared a village for a stretch of time prior to entering the walls.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
You know, after watching the last episode of the anime I realized that Erin coming out of the titan corpse was just a HUGE loving way to throw off Bert and Reiner because it's not like their titan corpses were littered around. I wonder if they're just more enlightened Titans in that regard.

Also this picture got posted in the other thread and I immediately almost said outloud (within hearing distance of my girlfriend who only watches the anime) poo poo Bert looks hungry. (Old timey art possibly :nws:)

Veskit fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 26, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd forgotten that Reiner said that shoving a sword up a Titan's rear end is also a weak point. Now there's always going to be a little bit in the back of my head that wants to see Rage Titan do the Naruto 1000 Years of Pain jutsu.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That may be the case with Bert(which would make sense since it seams he has more control over the steam in his titan form) but there's not really any evidence that Reiner didn't just dump his titan body in an alley until it evaporated or something.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Once Eren actually learned how to go Titan at will, doesn't he just transform back with no Titan body laying around the few times his isn't forcibly kicked back by getting his rear end kicked?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

If I remember right, yes and no. There was that time he just made half of a titan body to block cannon shots on civilians below him and the body just kind of hung out there.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
They're really playing up the Annie/Reiner/Bert stuff in the anime.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gyges posted:

Once Eren actually learned how to go Titan at will, doesn't he just transform back with no Titan body laying around the few times his isn't forcibly kicked back by getting his rear end kicked?

He's always left behind an evaporating titan corpse from what I remember.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

They're really playing up the Annie/Reiner/Bert stuff in the anime.

The best part is that the Annie/Reiner/Bert stuff is played just as innocuous as it was in the manga.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So far, absolutely no one in the anime thread are suspecting that trio of anything. It's so much easier connecting the dots after we know the secret, with little stuff like Reiner and Annie trying to get others to save Titan Eren when they think he's in danger. They knew right away that the titan was human controlled. I'm shocked we didn't figure it out the moment Annie was outed, considering how much Reiner and Bert hung around her. I guess the strife between Reiner and Annie during the training was meant to throw us off that trail.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 26, 2013

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Yeah, after watching the latest ep the Titan Trio kind of stare you in the face.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Azzents posted:

Yeah, after watching the latest ep the Titan Trio kind of stare you in the face.

Yeah, I had forgotten that one of the first things Reiner does once things clam down is ask Connie how much he knows about the Rage titan. I'm sure it looks like he's just trying to make conversation to 1st time viewers, but it's the most suspicious thing once you know why he's asking.

Brutus Salad fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 26, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Brutus Salad posted:

Yeah, I had forgotten that one of the first things Reiner does once things clam down is ask Connie how much he knows about the Rage titan. I'm sure it looks like he's just trying to make conversation to 1st time viewers, but it's the most suspicious thing once you know why he's asking.
His remark about Annie not getting injured takes on a new significance as well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's funny because in retrospect almost every single thing any of the three say is suspicious as gently caress. Also, Bertolt pretty much looks like he's going to break out into a totally nonchalant, cartoon style I'm not doing anything, whistle at any moment.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The best part is that even when we found out Annie was a titan we didn't suspect Bert and Reiner that much. Some people suspected Reiner writing on Annie's titan form hand, but that was about it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RatHat posted:

The best part is that even when we found out Annie was a titan we didn't suspect Bert and Reiner that much. Some people suspected Reiner writing on Annie's titan form hand, but that was about it.

That was far from about it.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Well, My friend just showed me a first draft of something he drew to work on his anatomy. I thought you goons might like it too.

Edit: He admits that he's terrible at drawing anime faces.

Azzents fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 26, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wow, I haven't re-read the manga at all so seeing the beginning of the story play out with the weight of all the recent reveals is really interesting. I reeaallly want the anime to get to continue for a long time.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

and let's not forget this guy

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So far, absolutely no one in the anime thread are suspecting that trio of anything. It's so much easier connecting the dots after we know the secret, with little stuff like Reiner and Annie trying to get others to save Titan Eren when they think he's in danger. They knew right away that the titan was human controlled. I'm shocked we didn't figure it out the moment Annie was outed, considering how much Reiner and Bert hung around her. I guess the strife between Reiner and Annie during the training was meant to throw us off that trail.
It's kind of frustrating to me as I have a friend who read the manga recently and he just rolled his eyes at the "bullshit shounen" reveal, clearly pulled out of the author's rear end. As if it weren't blindingly obvious in retrospect.

But it's a good frustration, because his insistence that it was out of nowhere kind of proves just how utterly invisible all the clues could be.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Eiba posted:

It's kind of frustrating to me as I have a friend who read the manga recently and he just rolled his eyes at the "bullshit shounen" reveal, clearly pulled out of the author's rear end. As if it weren't blindingly obvious in retrospect.

But it's a good frustration, because his insistence that it was out of nowhere kind of proves just how utterly invisible all the clues could be.

A lot of people in the anime thread was told that SnK breaks a load of tropes, which is does, but I get the feeling that a lot of the anime folk will be calling "bullshit shounen" when a lot of tropes and cliches come about later on.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
Sometimes after watching / reading this I like to think about how terrible Gantz has become. I don't think the part with Mikasa crying was in the manga, but it was a good touch anyway--in Gantz, she would have just cried the entire time (and then get rescued, and then have some sex, and then cry some more, and then erin would cry, and then...)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

j4on posted:

I don't think the part with Mikasa crying was in the manga,

Nah, it was there.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Azzents posted:

Well, My friend just showed me a first draft of something he drew to work on his anatomy. I thought you goons might like it too.

Speedwagon at the bottom left got a good chuckle out of me.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm really enjoying watching the adaptation and being able to pick apart the things that the Titan Trio do and say. I never went back and reread the manga after the reveal(s), so it's nice to finally be able to see it.

And I like the fact that I can vaguely remember what happens, but not entirely. So like the bit where the Titans smash into the building with their faces, I was thinking "does Eren clonk their heads together?" That gave me a hilarious mental image, but once he laid them both out with one punch, I remembered that's how it happened. At least, I think it is.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

McDragon posted:

I'm really enjoying watching the adaptation and being able to pick apart the things that the Titan Trio do and say. I never went back and reread the manga after the reveal(s), so it's nice to finally be able to see it.

And I like the fact that I can vaguely remember what happens, but not entirely. So like the bit where the Titans smash into the building with their faces, I was thinking "does Eren clonk their heads together?" That gave me a hilarious mental image, but once he laid them both out with one punch, I remembered that's how it happened. At least, I think it is.

Me and you both. During the last episode, Reiner told Annie after the basement mission that he is really glad she didn't get hurt. To the people watching the show for the first time, it might come off as he is truly glad she didn't get hurt but the people who read that manga know fully well why she can't get hurt and for completely different reasons than just dying.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm kinda bummed someone posted that image that says Ymir's name very obviously with no last name in it in the anime thread. We don't learn her name until AFTER the thing with the talking giant in the forest, right? If that shows up in the anime at all, people are gonna be wigging out.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Isn't that an official anime image though? If they're using Ymir's name already they might not be showing the talking giant in the first season.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Its amazing seeing how everything lines up so well now that we get to see it in retrospect (and a more intuitive sequence of events). Everything the Trio says as others have mentioned is worth picking apart for hidden meaning.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Ymir's name was there so early as the character bio page of the anime's website. That incident with the soldier who looked like Ymir was a side story, so it might not get included at all. Even if it did, it'd also lend evidence to the not quite accurate theory that there's a separate human nobleman conspiracy controlling the titans.

I was flipping through the manga just now and, in between laughing at poor Bert sweating bullets at everything Annie and Reiner do, trying to find out when Ymir's first called by name after that. Is it really as far forward as the castle storeroom scene?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No, before that. It's when they find out Christa knows some secrets about the wall.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've read the manga and I knew what was coming at the end of chapter 8 and I STILL felt for Mikasa. This show, man. This show.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

That was it. Thanks, ya spoilin' bastid.

If the anime production is as irrationally invested in keeping first-time followers in the dark as we are, they could just delay showing anything about Ilse's notebook until after Hanji shows up.

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010
This is a p neat thing, I guess people in Japan figured this out ages ago but no one ever noticed enough to translate it or something? Dunno how accurate the TL is, also wonder if those Before the Fall prequel novels have stuff that is interesting that people haven't translated.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

That's really interesting if accurate. It implies that 1) humanity didn't create the titans (or at least most people didn't know about it) 2) this is either not our world or it diverged long, long ago. Would it also place the Titan Trio and Ymir as from the original continent? Hell, if that translation is accurate, how did the titans cross water in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Autumncomet posted:

Hell, if that translation is accurate, how did the titans cross water in the first place?

The bigger question is how enough (presumably human) titans were created and brought together to put up the walls before all of the ships arrived. I'd wager that the continent the titan-fleers traveled to was already populated and the inhabitants were sacrificed or forced to sacrifice themselves to make the walls by some Grisha-like figure traveling ahead of the ships with huge quantities of the titan juice. If you assume that:

1) the royalty and/or church were behind this initial subjugation of the native populace in the name of creating a safeland paradise for the rich foreigners to migrate into and
2) the current batch of human titans are among the descendants of the people trapped in the walls who are mad as hell that they got caught up in all of this

... this story starts to make a lot of sense. Still tough to explain Sasquatch but you could surmise that he and/or a race of Sasquatches are the relentless threat that the humans were fleeing in the first place (being the only known cause of/force behind the mindless Titans).