Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Paradox guys, any chance you could include Their Finest Hour in your webstore sale? Please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jabarto posted:

Everyone always said that forming the HRE in EU3 was really easy, but it's drat near impossible for me. Every time I try it, the same thing happens:

1. I make tons of royal marriages and shovel money into the electors' pockets.
2. I sit around and wait to become emperor.
3. I sit around and answer a call to arms every 30 years or so to build imperial authority.
4. I sit around and wait until the Protestant Reformation hits, which sets my authority to 0 once member states start converting, and keeps it at 0 forever because enforcing religious unity almost never works (and requires authority that I don't have).

So basically I'm just not sure how to get enough authority to pass the reforms. What am I doing wrong?

It's been ages since the last time I ran with the HRE, and some of my information may be out of date. I seem to recall that liberating occupied territories is a very effective way of raising imperial authority - I played Brandenburg, I think, and by the time I got to the point where I could reliably get elected Emperor, quite a number of small HRE states had gotten annexed by someone or another. Declaring war after war to free them from oppression was my go-to method of raising authority until I got to the point where I was a hereditary monarch who vassalized everyone in the HRE, at which point authority gain slowed down dramatically.

That said, it's been ages and I don't remember the details of all I did, and some of what I did might be out of date, so...

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
One good way to gain authority after the Reformation hits is to convert to Protestantism immediately. That way, you'll gain authority every time someone spontaneously converts instead of losing it, plus you'll likely have many more targets for Religious Unity. As for getting that to work, have high relations, preferably vassalize them first, and just throw diplomats/money at them until it works. It might take some time, but as along as it doesn't say "Impossible" you've got a chance, and since failure only lowers relations and not authority, you can just keep throwing money at them to rebuild relations to 200.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

There's also a cheese aspect in that your authority won't go under 0, so you just let people convert for a while then, the next time you get some IA from somewhere else like a defensive war, you go and enforce religious unity on a bunch of minors all at once - then immediately spend the IA you gained on a reform.

Another easy source of IA is expanding to the east until you border a horde. They'll auto-declare on you every 5 years and you will get 10 IA for beating them back.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Can someone give me some information on how best to use the "influencing other countries" and "industrialising from nothing" mechanics, specifically for the Ottoman Empire?

So far I've just been building railroads everywhere that I possibly can, which seems to be worthwhile as they cost no upkeep and boost resource gathering.

I think I've been building too many factories - even in my most populace provinces like Istanbul, they're mostly empty, even with an "encourage craftsmen" national focus. Should I be building factories one at a time and letting them fill up with craftsmen before I build another? If so, what are the best factories to begin with as the Ottomans and where should I build them?

As far as influencing other nations goes, I noticed you get a 50% bonus to influencing neighbouring states, so I've just clicked "neighbours" on the diplomacy screen and maxed out the priority of influencing all those nations, increasing their opinion and adding them to my sphere as I go along. Is there a better way to do this? I notice that both Greece and the Ionian Islands are in the sphere of the UK, and they'll ban my ambassadors so I can't really do much to those. Where do influence points come from, anyway?

Finally, naval combat. What's the best size of fleet? Does the game have a small ships:large ships ratio I should be following?

You shouldn't really be using the Encourage Craftsmen NF. The real goal is to get 1.0% Bureaucrats nationally (check the budget screen) so that people will promote often and quickly and 4.0% Clergymen per state so that people will be literate enough to promote.

As your literacy passes 10-30%, people will start promoting to Craftsmen all by themselves. As your literacy passes 50%, people will start promoting to Clerks all by themselves.

As for factories, I've long since given up on trying to make intelligent decisions on which ones to build. As far as I'm concerned, once you hit your literacy targets, the name of the game is increasing your Prestige (through techs, events, Humiliate CBs, colonization, etc.), decreasing the Prestige of those ranked higher than you (through total occupation and/or Humiliate CBs) and increasing your military score to increase your overall ranking. Once your overall ranking gets high enough, you should be able to get dibs on goods on the world market, which'll let your factories buy whatever they need to hum along smoothly, and the rest will take care of itself.

The only other piece of advice I can give with regards to factories is that if you're running Laissez-Faire or Interventionism, it might be in your best interest to NOT subsidize factories. If a factory is being unprofitable, but the state keeps throwing it a lifeline, the Capitalists are never going to build a second factory until the state lets the first factory close down.

As for Sphere of Influence, if a country is in your sphere, that means you get first dibs on anything it produces. This is another way to help out your factories: Get an African/South American nation in your sphere and your Luxury Furniture factories will be supplied with Tropical Wood even if your overall ranking wouldn't have been enough to let you buy it from the World Market.

Influence points come from a variety of factors, but generally, the closer you are to a country and the more overall-powerful your country is relative to your target, the easier they are to influence.

The key to stealing a nation from someone else's Sphere is to do a dance. Start influencing Greece. You'll see that UK will start influencing it too. Track how much influence the UK has. As they approach 50.0 influence, stop influencing Greece, and influence a different Sphere of the UK. Once you stop influencing Greece, the UK stops influencing Greece. Let influence build up with this second country, and stop again once UK is about to hit 50.0 influence. Go back to influencing Greece. UK's influence will have dropped a bit, and you should have room to get to 50.0 and turn Greece into having Cordial relations before being banned.

Repeat to get Friendly with Greece, then repeat to remove Greece from UK's sphere, then usually you won't have to compete anymore after that to add Greece to your own Sphere. Sometimes you may need to alternate between 3 different Sphere'd countries.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Golden_Zucchini posted:

One good way to gain authority after the Reformation hits is to convert to Protestantism immediately. That way, you'll gain authority every time someone spontaneously converts instead of losing it, plus you'll likely have many more targets for Religious Unity.

This. Forcing HRE states to convert to your religion gives you 10 Imperial Authority. Really, it's very possible to form the HRE, especially once you hit the point in which you have the majority of HRE states vassalized. That best part about that is taht you can basically declare war on whoever and only have to move an army or two--after all, you have an army of minor German states perfectly happy to throw their armies into the fray, and all those tiny armies add up to something absolutely colossal!

If you need some inspiration/ideas, allow me to direct you to Kersch's Austria LP. It should serve as a good guide on how to proceed, although TBF I find that Austria is one of the easier states to play if uniting the HRE is your goal.

NihilCredo posted:

Another easy source of IA is expanding to the east until you border a horde. They'll auto-declare on you every 5 years and you will get 10 IA for beating them back.

Wait, really? In that case, I ought to get back to my own Austria game. I crapped out after I converted and vassalized all the heathen (read: Catholic) HRE states since I felt like I ran out of avenues through which to gain Imperial Authority (save for monarch deaths and subsequent re-elections, but those are only 10 IA anyways). Maybe I can get my dream of restoring the HRE after all...:allears:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Thanks for the tips, I'll look at that LP and give the Protestant thing a try (I planned on switching at some point anyway).

That reminds me, when I was doing some Googling I found a thread on the Paradox forums where a guy formed the HRE in 1407 by declaring war on one of the Russian minors, offering to convert to Orthodox in the peace deal, then using religious unity on every state in the Empire.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

SeaTard posted:

The lovely part is now I can't talk about eu4 anymore :smith:

Yes you can, as long as you talk about publicly known stuff and don't talk about anything concerning beta or knowledge about it (it may be hard).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an EU3 mod that lets you reform the Roman Empire? (and not just the Byzantine Empire)

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there an EU3 mod that lets you reform the Roman Empire? (and not just the Byzantine Empire)

Death and taxes does. You even get a special Roman Empire government type and Roman expansionism casus belli. Think you have to do it as the Byzantines though and you won't get cores on everything the Roman Empire held since that'd be overkill. But it'd be pretty easy to give the decision to whoever you want to do it as if you don't like the Byzantines.

It seems like everyone else who applied for the eu4 beta knows whether they're in or not. Anyone else not gotten an email either way yet?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Checked your spam folder etc? Assuming so, there should be a thread up on the EUIV forum come Monday for people who got no email to request a resend.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
How exactly do you manage Diplo-Annex in EU3? I've managed it once, mainly because Athens was already Greek and Orthodox and I had Cores there I believe. Even then it took 3 attempts. Is this tethered to the leaders Diplo stat? I have The Knights as a vassal and I'd rather Diplo-Annex rather than breaking it and annexing that way. Also what is this "diplo" spam people are talking about. The Send Gift option?

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Checked your spam folder etc? Assuming so, there should be a thread up on the EUIV forum come Monday for people who got no email to request a resend.

Yeah, thanks for the reply. I'll check that thread out on Monday then.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I've read alternately that prestige and that your total score determines the order of access to the world market in Victoria 2. Does anyone know for certain which one it is?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Kersch posted:

I've read alternately that prestige and that your total score determines the order of access to the world market in Victoria 2. Does anyone know for certain which one it is?
It's total score.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

James The 1st posted:

It's total score.

And that's the first I've ever heard of that.

Does that go purely by raw score, or is it by ranking? It would explain why pops in uncivs can have a hard time meeting their needs even when they're making decent money.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Kersch posted:

This is the first I've read about score determining order of access, I've always read that prestige determines it.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

YouTuber posted:

How exactly do you manage Diplo-Annex in EU3? I've managed it once, mainly because Athens was already Greek and Orthodox and I had Cores there I believe. Even then it took 3 attempts. Is this tethered to the leaders Diplo stat? I have The Knights as a vassal and I'd rather Diplo-Annex rather than breaking it and annexing that way. Also what is this "diplo" spam people are talking about. The Send Gift option?

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe you need to be of the same religious group as your vassal (i.e. Muslims can't diplo-annex Christians, as I recently found out in my first Ottomans game), you need to 190+ relations, the target must have been your vassal for at least 10 years, and you can't have diplo-annexed anyone else in the last 10 years. Use Send Gift to raise relations as far you can, then try it. If it fails, Send more Gifts to restore relations (failing lowers relations by 50) and keep trying. Eventually they'll accept as long as it doesn't the chance isn't Impossible.

Success on most, if not all, diplomacy actions is affected by your ruler's Diplomacy score. The easiest way to boost that is to Sphere countries. Each country you have in your Sphere of Influence adds a +1 bonus to your diplomacy. With a bunch of sphered countries I've gotten the chances of success up to Likely.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

A_Raving_Loon posted:

And that's the first I've ever heard of that.

Does that go purely by raw score, or is it by ranking? It would explain why pops in uncivs can have a hard time meeting their needs even when they're making decent money.
Well ok, rank then. Total score doesn't count when you aren't civilized. I read that it was prestige as well, but I seem to remember someone that was knowledgeable about this said it was rank.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's absolutely RANK that determines who gets first dibs on the world market.

People just think it's prestige because gaining prestige is one of the easier ways to bring your rank up or bring down some other guy's rank and almost everything brings up prestige so being #1 in rank tends to correlate closely with being #1 in prestige anyway, but you can absolutely move up in rank by making your army bigger (or turning up the National Stockpile sliders), which makes your industry more productive, which moves you up in rank further, all without having touched your prestige.

And yes, this does mean that uncivs are always going to find it very difficult to buy stuff from the world market: Even at a million prestige, they're always going to be ranked lower than GPs, Secondary Powers and regular Civilized Nations, which would put them at #67 or thereabouts in 1836

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

For industrializing from nothing, here's a couple good tips.

First, build factories that produce goods that are needed by the state. Anything that is needed for building/maintaining factories or troops, like cement and canned food. Luxury clothes, for recruiting hussars and guards, is a crucial one, but you'll need some source of silk for it of course. These are the factories that you absolutely want to subsidize, because all you care about is having the goods and not whether they're profitable or not.

For any other factory, like paper or furniture, it might be a good idea to just let the capitalists build those, and not bother subsidizing them.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Golden_Zucchini posted:

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe you need to be of the same religious group as your vassal (i.e. Muslims can't diplo-annex Christians, as I recently found out in my first Ottomans game), you need to 190+ relations, the target must have been your vassal for at least 10 years, and you can't have diplo-annexed anyone else in the last 10 years. Use Send Gift to raise relations as far you can, then try it. If it fails, Send more Gifts to restore relations (failing lowers relations by 50) and keep trying. Eventually they'll accept as long as it doesn't the chance isn't Impossible.

Success on most, if not all, diplomacy actions is affected by your ruler's Diplomacy score. The easiest way to boost that is to Sphere countries. Each country you have in your Sphere of Influence adds a +1 bonus to your diplomacy. With a bunch of sphered countries I've gotten the chances of success up to Likely.

Well, that is annoying. Is there any way to convert vassal religion?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

YouTuber posted:

Well, that is annoying. Is there any way to convert vassal religion?

Nope. Break vassalage, invade, annex, re-release.

The main use of diploannexing is so that you can release vassals in troublesome regions until things are better in your more 'core' territories (so you're not paying stab costs but still getting half the income) and then take them back later. Basically you can treat vassals you release (but not ones you force vassal) as more or less only temporarily independent.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just don't do that in the 5.2 beta because releasing vassals also removes all your cores in the released provinces.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 25, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think MEIOU also allows you to do this for a select number of nations.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Does anybody use this mod for AHD? Recommend / Not Recommended?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?585133-AHD-Svoboda-i-Rabstvo-mod

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 26, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Regarding units in HoD, are cuirassiers any good? I'm not really sure what niche they fill since they don't have recon, and I'm skeptical that they'd do well charging into infantry with artillery backing it up. Should most armies just be lots of infantry, a good amount of artillery for support, an engineer, a hussar, and a couple dragoons? And then later on, a bunch of infantry, a bunch of artillery, and a couple tanks and planes?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Kersch posted:

Regarding units in HoD, are cuirassiers any good? I'm not really sure what niche they fill since they don't have recon, and I'm skeptical that they'd do well charging into infantry with artillery backing it up. Should most armies just be lots of infantry, a good amount of artillery for support, an engineer, a hussar, and a couple dragoons? And then later on, a bunch of infantry, a bunch of artillery, and a couple tanks and planes?

I've found cuirassiers and guards to be a huge trap, unless you've got more soldiers than you care to count; they're supposed to pack a punch but have lower defence (the guards at least, not sure about the cuirassiers but combat results are roughly equal), but what that ends up in is a slaughter of the brigades with the cuirassiers and guards, and a proportionaly large decrease in the soldier POP type they came from. If you're population-starved, for instance an American country that is not the USA (and perhaps even then!), you should treasure your soldier POPs much more than whatever combat advantages these brigades bring; they are essentially one-use.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

:v:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I just bought Victoria 2 in the 75% off sale. I'm playing as france, when I try to make an alliance with the US it says it's impossible even though I have 200 relation and have given them war subsidies. What am I doing wrong?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kersch posted:

Cuirassiers are better than infantry in every way except cost until you research either Strategic Mobility (which puts infantry ahead by a point of defense) or Muzzle-Loaded Rifles (which puts infantry on par with the cuirassiers' offense). Cuirassiers don't get any upgrades at all, so they're meant to be gradually phased out, but they still serve a purpose as flankers, at least until you unlock guards, which are meant to completely replace them.

And while we're on the subject, the battle system might not work the way you're used to. Unlike in EU3, where a unit's offensive and defensive stats are factored in whether it's attacking or defending, in V2, offense only factors in when the unit is attacking and vice-versa. So that means that guards will be next to worthless in a defensive fight.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

sparatuvs posted:

I just bought Victoria 2 in the 75% off sale. I'm playing as france, when I try to make an alliance with the US it says it's impossible even though I have 200 relation and have given them war subsidies. What am I doing wrong?

If you have HoD it will tell you if you hover over the question mark in the dialogue. But it's probably either "too many alliances" or "political considerations".

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

thread posted:

Cuirassier chat

So now that we're touching on military composition chat, I might as well ask away: I've finally gone past 1900 in my Vicky 2 game for the first time in HoD, and I've been wondering what my army composition should look like once tanks and airplanes become available. Up until now, my armies have looked something like this: 4 regulars, 2 guards, 4 artillery, 2 engineers, and one each of hussars, cuirassiers, and dragoons, for a grand total of 15 units. I understand that cavalry are supposed to be phased out in favor of the technologically newer units, but I'm not sure how the presence tanks and aircraft should be proportioned according to the other unit numbers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Does anyone know exactly how much RP you get for conquering as an unciv? If you conquer Korea as Japan with all four RP-boosting reforms selected, you hit the maximum of 25K RP, and I hate the idea that I'm wasting some. defines.lua just says "RESEARCH_POINTS_ON_CONQUER_MULT = 360" but I'm not sure exactly what that means.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

sparatuvs posted:

The most likely scenario is that either you or they are already allied with a Great Power. Each country can only be allied with a single Great Power until a certain point towards the tail end of the game. I'm sorry, I don't remember what the trigger is that sets it so you can have as many great power allies as will accept you (I think it's either reaching a certain year or researching a certain tech), but until sometime around the late 1800s you'll want to be real careful about which GP you want to ally with.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Does anyone know exactly how much RP you get for conquering as an unciv? If you conquer Korea as Japan with all four RP-boosting reforms selected, you hit the maximum of 25K RP, and I hate the idea that I'm wasting some. defines.lua just says "RESEARCH_POINTS_ON_CONQUER_MULT = 360" but I'm not sure exactly what that means.

A quick google suggests that it might mean 360 RP per province (not state) per military reform, so Afghanistan at 8 provinces would be worth 2880 RP with 1 reform.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well that does add up since Korea has 19 provinces, making for 19 * 360 * 4 = 27360. 2360 RP down the drain is nothing to scoff at so I might try conquering with only 3 of the RP reforms researched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fister Roboto posted:

Well that does add up since Korea has 19 provinces, making for 19 * 360 * 4 = 27360. 2360 RP down the drain is nothing to scoff at so I might try conquering with only 3 of the RP reforms researched.

Or you could conquer them in 2 stages unless you're rushing to westernize.

• Locked thread