Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Evan Montegarde posted:

Just finished playing through Winter's Fury and I highly recommend it. The boss fights are kind of boring and overly difficult, but all in all some very solid gameplay coupled with some of the best visuals I've seen in a Doom wad. It's neat to see story-driven wads that try to be "cinematic" in the Doom (well, Zdoom) engine and actually work out. Makes me wonder what could have been if the original vision for Doom, like that in the Doom Bible, would have been like as a game with Zdoom scripting and level design possibilities.

Can anyone recommend similar wads that feature some attempt at a story and original gameplay? For that matter, has anyone ever tried to recreate Tom Hall's original vision for Doom? Seems like it would be very possible with Zdoom.

In addition to "Cold as Hell" and "Winter's Fury", there's stuff like "Unloved", "Cheogsh 2" (maybe; the first one definitely wouldn't qualify), and "DTS-T". DTS-T is a really, really good MegaWAD. You'll probably play it and think, "man, this is such a good MegaWAD, I wish I had another 32 levels of this to play with!" It's so good, you'll probably stop playing Doom afterwards. Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Evan Montegarde posted:

For that matter, has anyone ever tried to recreate Tom Hall's original vision for Doom? Seems like it would be very possible with Zdoom.

It's been attempted several times, but nobody's really ever completed anything of note.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Zeether posted:

There was another map I played that tossed rocket boxes and shotgun ammo boxes haphazardly around without any weapon pickups in sight aside from shotguns dropped from sergeants. Did most of the people who made levels for this think it would be fun to just have the player go through levels with just the pistol and maybe a shotgun/super shotgun?

Seeing as it was a completely random selection from idgames or what would become it, yeah probably.

Commander Keenan posted:

Fans of video game music: there's a new Game Music Bundle featuring classic soundtracks by DOS-era composers like Bobby Prince, Lee Jackson, and Alexander Brandon. There's a Duke3D remix album too. I immediately dropped $60 on this collection.

Also, Robyn Miller's work on Myst.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In addition to "Cold as Hell" and "Winter's Fury", there's stuff like "Unloved", "Cheogsh 2" (maybe; the first one definitely wouldn't qualify), and "DTS-T". DTS-T is a really, really good MegaWAD. You'll probably play it and think, "man, this is such a good MegaWAD, I wish I had another 32 levels of this to play with!" It's so good, you'll probably stop playing Doom afterwards. Forever.

Thanks! Downloaded DTS-T and will start it next. After that I've decided to play through all the Cacowards wads since 2004, multiplayer excluded, in order from past to present. Starting here:

http://www.doomworld.com/11years/

I guess there are 10 more years before that but I think this will be plenty for a while.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Evan Montegarde posted:

Thanks! Downloaded DTS-T and will start it next. After that I've decided to play through all the Cacowards wads since 2004, multiplayer excluded, in order from past to present. Starting here:

I guess there are 10 more years before that but I think this will be plenty for a while.

You're probably going to hate DTS-T actually. Like 8 or 9 people out of 10 really hate that WAD. It's...odd. The WAD, I mean.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You're probably going to hate DTS-T actually. Like 8 or 9 people out of 10 really hate that WAD. It's...odd. The WAD, I mean.

That's because most of it is boring and ugly and not good.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

God is it ugly.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Is there a way to make zdoom's multiplayer more stable? I've been playing Reelism coop with a friend and it's fun, but after a while it'll just freeze up and not continue until someone drops. This happens with vanilla Doom on it too so it's not a Reelism problem. (Though I think jrpgville going out of sync IS a reelism issue, but oh well)

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Tried Zandronum?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

We use it for other things, but Reelism doesn't work on Zandronum.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Evan Montegarde posted:

Enjoy Combat Shock2, Hell Revealed 2, and so on!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Keiya posted:

Is there a way to make zdoom's multiplayer more stable? I've been playing Reelism coop with a friend and it's fun, but after a while it'll just freeze up and not continue until someone drops. This happens with vanilla Doom on it too so it's not a Reelism problem.
Apparently it's a known engine bug typically caused by dodgy wireless connections. A patch is in the works. :)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

I just tried on wired. Apparently my connection in general is just too dodgy. We got through an entire round though! Technically. It broke while el cyberdemo was exploding XD

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Keiya posted:

I just tried on wired. Apparently my connection in general is just too dodgy >_>
It might be another bug. I'm just going off what someone who's working on ZDoom networking bugs tells me.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I guess I should have been more specific. While several of the JJ3 songs don't really sound anything like UT99 (too...jazzy) some of the music is really similar, even after considering they're on the same engine.

I think the similarity owes less to the engine and more to the fact the composer is Alexander Brandon in both cases.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GOG has a whole bunch of classic manshoot action 50% off for the weekend. And also Blood 2 and Dredd Vs. Death. Can't win them all, I suppose.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Awesome, this is just what I was looking for.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

And also Blood 2 and Dredd Vs. Death. Can't win them all, I suppose.

I like Blood 2. It's certainly worth it for $3. Well, the engine is held together by scotch tape, Elmer's glue and bubblegum, so that's assuming it actually works. But if it does I think it's worth $3.

Shame that RotT isn't in the sale though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Kins posted:

GOG has a whole bunch of classic manshoot action 50% off for the weekend. And also Blood 2 and Dredd Vs. Death. Can't win them all, I suppose.

I have had a GoG account for a couple of years, and only made one or two purchases until 2 days ago, when I bought Blood, Riddick, Shadow Warrior, and Rise of the Triad.

:bang:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

daft punk railroad posted:

D!Zone had nothing on the NUKE IT CDs of crappy Duke levels with the glowing green skull on the cover and hundreds of levels with nothing but comically oversized strippers and lo-fi Metallica sound loops. And Duke!Zone, I guess.

Why didn't I listen when you mentioned how bad Nuke It is? I actually sought it out, put the maps in my eDuke folder (in quarantine, didn't want them getting mixed in with the others), and skipped ahead to the M's just to get a sample. I played about 10 maps, and not a single one was playable or "good" in any sense of the word. I have it on good authority that every single map in that compilation is complete poo poo, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were all made by whoever released that CD.

There were 8 maps all called "MYHOUSE", and they were all the same oversized furniture and vertically-sliding door map, with slight variations each time. You know, I used to think the oversizing thing was due to the mapper just being lovely and having no sense of proper scale, but now I think it's because they're all 9 years old and that's how they see the world. They think all normal furniture and adult-sized people are gigantic.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Tewratomeh posted:

You know, I used to think the oversizing thing was due to the mapper just being lovely and having no sense of proper scale, but now I think it's because they're all 9 years old and that's how they see the world. They think all normal furniture and adult-sized people are gigantic.
To be fair, the default textures you work with in BUILD are a lot larger in the game than the editor makes them seem. I've fallen for that many a time - making a level seem perfect, then going into test mode and finding out that I actually need to shrink everything.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

Holy poo poo Virt's track on the Duke remixes album. Totes throwing money at this.
I never thought I'd do this, but I listened to that track and immediately bought it. It's worth $10 just for that.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I bought it for Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Duke 2 and Wacky Wheels. I'm such an OPL2 whore. :(

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Is Unreal 2 worth it? I liked the rest of the series.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Unreal 2 has a few cool moments and ideas spread miles apart, with boring mans-shoot in between. If you got it with the Steam Unreal pack it might be worth a play, but I honestly wouldn't seek it out on its own unless you're a total completionist.

Edit: The writing is pretty good, if anything can be said in its favor

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Starhawk64 posted:

Is Unreal 2 worth it? I liked the rest of the series.
No. It's just a really bland game. You can see they were trying to replicate Halo and it didn't work out.

EDIT: although I enjoyed the scene where you battle enemies on the roof of a research facility, while the scientist you're protecting constantly trash-talks you via your comm

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 25, 2013

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Ah, I won't bother with Unreal 2 then. All this Unreal talk has gotten me to replay Unreal Gold at least. Goddamn the music is fantastic. :allears:

Also, it makes me wonder why Unreal style games aren't more popular these days. Could it be due to UT3 tanking?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Unreal Anthology is a little over 5 bucks on Amazon. It's complete and comes with a soundtrack CD. Might as well get all of them in my opinion.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Ah, I won't bother with Unreal 2 then. All this Unreal talk has gotten me to replay Unreal Gold at least. Goddamn the music is fantastic. :allears:

Also, it makes me wonder why Unreal style games aren't more popular these days. Could it be due to UT3 tanking?

It shouldn't be but probably is. They made terrible art choices (did they spend all their color on 2k4 or something and have to do desaturated everything in order to get the game out the door? And what was with the superchunky armor everywhere?) and tried to justify CTF as part of a 'real' war.

The color thing I'll probably eventually forgive them for, but the CTF thing...

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I was playing UT3 on a laptop that had a Gears of War advertisement covering half the space in front of the keyboard when I opened the box. No points for guessing where Epic Games's attention has been the past 6 years.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best thing to come out of Unreal 2 is this front page review, which is still funny (and accurate) despite some amazingly dated references.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Zero Star posted:

No. It's just a really bland game. You can see they were trying to replicate Halo and it didn't work out.

Another annoying thing was how they severely cheaped out on making enemies have somewhat intelligent dodging and fighting patterns, all the enemies have this magic loving slide'n'shoot thing whenever they get hit which makes the majority of the fights in the game really loving bland as well as annoying

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I seem to be having trouble with Brutal Doom and V2 of the Ultimate Arsenal Pack, it's only letting me carry one weapon in a slot no matter how many ways I set "Infinite Inventory" on. What am I getting wrong?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It plays nothing like the original Unreal, but Unreal tournament 2 for the xbox was a stupid amount of fun. They added melee combat and every match was like Jedi Outcast's slash and pray on speed. Totally nonsensical but a great time, especially at parties.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
It's a few days old, but Brutal Doom's creator posted up a new video showing off a few new death animations that will appear in version 19.

Oh my loving god that former human.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Finally got around to playing through NOLF2. I'm so sad this IP is in limbo, the games are so refreshingly hilarious and don't take themselves too seriously. I wish we could look forward to another.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Just a quick question to anyone sufficiently experienced with Doom-builder - how can I grab a texture I really like from another wad (shameless)? Particularly the orange wall texture from Sunder.wad. Cheers!

Reive
May 21, 2009

maev posted:

Just a quick question to anyone sufficiently experienced with Doom-builder - how can I grab a texture I really like from another wad (shameless)? Particularly the orange wall texture from Sunder.wad. Cheers!

IIRC it'll load a list of everything within the wads you select in the preferences, by default you use something like doom2's wad to get the base textures, so perhaps you can just add it to the list and it'll show up in the textures menu?
I haven't used it in awhile.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

maev posted:

If you load Sunder as a resource inside Doom Builder you'll be able to use it to build your level, but once you give people your wad to play they'll need to load it alongside Sunder or else the texture will be missing. What you probably want to do here is take the texture you want from Sunder and put it inside your own wad, then it will always work and no extra fiddling around with Doom Builder is necessary. As Doom Builder only deals with editing levels what you really want is a lump manager, I'd advise Slade 3.

Here's a tutorial on how to import all textures from a single other wad into your own, but keep in mind that pinching just a single texture, or textures from multiple other wads is going to be a bit trickier thanks to Doom's not very user-friendly way it deals with textures. If the graphics aren't showing up correctly in Slade 3 you may need to set up a Base resource archive in Slade 3 like how you set doom2.wad as a resource in Doom Builder.

If you need more help let me know, textures can be a bit of a pain in the rear end. Information that's probably helpful to know is how Doom's textures work. The actual graphics of the textures are referred to as "patches" and if lots of textures need to re-use the same graphics (such as certain bricks or wall panels or whatever) all of these textures will use the same patch image. The textures themselves are just a list of patches and co-ordinates, i.e. "texture X is made up of a patch at location (0,0) and another patch at (32,0)" etc. This was done to cut down on the wad files being bloated with lots of wall graphics that all looked very similar but with small differences. They only need to store the one image and can re-use it on lots of textures. This big list of textures is hiding inside a single lump called TEXTURES1 which Slade will let you view. The patches are all stored as individual images inside the wad between two lumps called PP_START and PP_END, but there also is a lump called PNAMES that lists the patches so the TEXTURES1 lump can refer to them.

I hope that all made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Are fantasy FPS dead? I was thinking I really miss Heretic, but I can't think of any recent fantasy FPS (and actually, I can't think of any fantasy FPS other than Heretic, the Hexens and augh Witchhaven)