Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Remember all those fun :rock: times that were had in Kira Kira during the tour?.......I remember..:(......:negative:

I also feel like a fool for not noticing the significance of the name of this VN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Ah, you got Kirari's ending, then?

It's okay, do the other two and then the true Kirari route, it makes it all worthwhile.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Artificer posted:

I....I can't do it. I can't finish My Girlfriend is the President. :catstare: I think I'm going to go back to Uminkeo No Naku Koro Ni. I think I've recovered enough from MuvLuv to do that.

I'm not sure what happened to me. I really like this at the beginning of it...

I think it starts off ironic and tongue in cheek and then rapidly becomes unironic

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I bought Kira Kira on mangagamer. It's a zipfile :psyduck:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Can anyone suggest a VN along the lines of Steins;Gate/C;H/R;N, gameplay-wise? While traditional VNs are great, having that extra bit of depth with the cell phone in S;G and the "delusions" in C;H makes it infinitely more interesting to me. Much more interesting than just picking a choice.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What is R;N? Same guys as C;H and S;G? I'm in Chaos;Head now and I am not sure I understand the delusions. I went through like five of them before I even realized I was doing it. Did I change the plot, at all? I wouldn't have known that Steins;gate's cell phone changed the plot if it wasn't for the walkthrough.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Krinkle posted:

What is R;N? Same guys as C;H and S;G? I'm in Chaos;Head now and I am not sure I understand the delusions. I went through like five of them before I even realized I was doing it. Did I change the plot, at all? I wouldn't have known that Steins;gate's cell phone changed the plot if it wasn't for the walkthrough.

R;N is Robotics;Notes, the 2012 VN by the same company. It's only on consoles and untranslated so far.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Krinkle posted:

It's been a long time since I played it but I think there's one spot in the game where the delusions can give you a bad end, but otherwise don't affect which ending you get.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Higurashi got a lot more interesting when Tomitake was killed. I hope Mion isn't partly responsible for any murders; she's cool. :ohdear:

The most mysterious part of Tomitake's death, of course, was him scratching his own throat. Maybe he thought he was choking to death?

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

Insurrectionist posted:

Haha, think I figured that part out during the character discussions after the first discovery myself, though I can't remember when the game outright slaps you in the face with it.

A short bit after I realized the connection and typed out that post. Specifically, after they locked themselves into Kinzo's study. Umineko has stated every piece of speculation I was thinking of, right after I was thinking it myself, so far.

Anyway, I finished reading Episode 1!

Everyone died, Beatrice exists, and I'm a bit confused and amazed?? I was not really expecting something like that for an ending, even though I said that everyone was going to die earlier in the thread.

I can't deny the existence of witches in some shape or form after all that.. But Battler seems to deny that witches is the cause behind the murders to the bitter end. I guess that the following Episodes is going to be about if it was witchcraft or not? What I'm most curious about now is if there is going to be a new set of characters to solve the case years after it happened or if Beatrice is going to retrieve Battler and send him back in time to let him play detective or something else? I'm unsure what I think about the ending and its set-up for the following episodes, but I'm hyped. Time to start reading Episode 2!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Zaito posted:

I can't deny the existence of witches in some shape or form after all that.. But Battler seems to deny that witches is the cause behind the murders to the bitter end. I guess that the following Episodes is going to be about if it was witchcraft or not? What I'm most curious about now is if there is going to be a new set of characters to solve the case years after it happened or if Beatrice is going to retrieve Battler and send him back in time to let him play detective or something else? I'm unsure what I think about the ending and its set-up for the following episodes, but I'm hyped. Time to start reading Episode 2!

Yeah, Umineko is pretty good at making you want to read the next episode.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

More Kira Kira: Chie-Nee's route is pretty drat fun. I never expected it to go in this direction when I started it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Oh god, KiraKiras portrayal of punk rock is so completely messed up. The two step guide to becoming a punk rocker has me in stitches.

Edit: Oh god, this game. That bad end. I'm literally dying. I haven't laughed this hard in ages. That voice.

Edit2: Man, Kiraris ending. :suicide:

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 26, 2013

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
So I started Higurashi since it's been on my backlog forever and after that I'll tackle Umineko or maybe do something short as a breather in between. All I know about Higurashi is murder mystery, crazy faces that the heroines make, cicadas and Rika is involved in time loops? About how hosed am I as far as spoilers goes? Oh and I got it all patched up with ps2 sprites and other fixes just in case anybody's wondering.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

You're fine. Honestly it was annoying the poo poo out of me to read through six chapters before ever finding out "what the heck" and being given a framework to interpret the gestalt of the series. You get to avoid that and also aren't spoiled for anything important who cares you're golden. Enjoy it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I went into Higurashi spoiled much worse than that and still enjoyed it a great deal. I don't think there's anything there that would significantly impact your experience.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

planetarial posted:

So I started Higurashi since it's been on my backlog forever and after that I'll tackle Umineko or maybe do something short as a breather in between. All I know about Higurashi is murder mystery, crazy faces that the heroines make, cicadas and Rika is involved in time loops? About how hosed am I as far as spoilers goes? Oh and I got it all patched up with ps2 sprites and other fixes just in case anybody's wondering.

I just clicked on the spoiler, and I'm still on the Opening. I'm an idiot. (In the context of what I know so far, it seems pretty nonsensical, though.)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I knew that spoiler going in too and trust me, it doesn't negatively impact the experience really at all.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I played some more Higurashi. (Rewrite spoilers) We're obviously supposed to suspect that the "fake" Rena who shouts "That's a lie!" is Rena being possessed by Oyashiro. There was a very similar setup in the Lucia route, where the "spirit" was revealed to be Lucia's split personality. We don't need an explanation like that here, though; Keiichi's overactive imagination would explain it just fine. How old is Keiichi supposed to be at this point, anyway? 14?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I've been reading Kira Kira, and I just split to Kashiwara's route. drat, Shikanosuke just can't catch a break. He get's poo poo from Chie-nee whatever he does to help Kashiwara at the beach, and later, at the restaurant, when he's allowed to reveal that he isn't a girl, he has to pretend to be gay.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I finally finished Rewrite. On the whole, I definitely liked it. It definitely suffered from a lack of cohesion and the plot pulled a bit too far from personal to impersonal for me, but I enjoyed it. The soundtrack definitely had a lot to do with it as it was fantastic. Akane and Lucia easily had the best routes with Moon coming after and Terra behind it. I disliked Terra at first, but it's grown on me a bit over time. The forced choices locked was a neat idea and the bad ending was a nice touch. I didn't like how it basically discarded the entire cast. It's a cool idea that in order to save the world, Kotarou not only has to sacrifice the person he became but the very possibility of the lives he could live, but in practice it just kind of abruptly shifted the focus of the novel after six routes of build up. Killing Kagari in the ending felt kind of contrived too. It also seemed like a really, really abrupt and last minute way to deal with the problem of the route. It was like the writer realized at the last minute "Oh poo poo, we gotta resolve the world dying plotline! Commercialize familiars and supertech, quick!" The ending credits were really well done and definitely left me feeling fulfilled after a bit of initial confusion at them walking to the moon.

Akane>Lucia>Moon>Terra>Kotori=Chihaya>Shizuru overall in terms of enjoyment. I liked it, but it definitely suffered from being the first thing I read after Muv Luv which was vastly superior. It also felt like it was trying really hard to emulate Fate/Stay Night, which felt weird. Chihaya's route felt like UBW but with all the interesting character depth sucked out. Sakuya was a perfectly fine character, but it came really strongly across as if the writer was trying to do his take on Archer. This kind of hurt my ability to like Sakuya as Archer was a vastly superior character. It also made really weird design choices on stuff like who got portraits. Shimako who was of very limited importance getting one, but Suzaki and Sakura not getting them felt kind of strange for one example.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

I played some more Higurashi. (Rewrite spoilers) We're obviously supposed to suspect that the "fake" Rena who shouts "That's a lie!" is Rena being possessed by Oyashiro. There was a very similar setup in the Lucia route, where the "spirit" was revealed to be Lucia's split personality. We don't need an explanation like that here, though; Keiichi's overactive imagination would explain it just fine. How old is Keiichi supposed to be at this point, anyway? 14?
Rena, Keiichi, and Mion are 15, 16, and 17 respectively. Rika and Satoko have never had their ages stated though they're usually considered to be 10-11.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Chickenfrogman posted:

It also made really weird design choices on stuff like who got portraits. Shimako who was of very limited importance getting one, but Suzaki and Sakura not getting them felt kind of strange for one example.

I agree with your general sentiment (the lack of an event CG for Shizuru shooting the Key bugged me, for instance), but I really liked Shimako's :smug: face, and the event CGs of Sakura make sprites for her superfluous.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 27, 2013

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Rena, Keiichi, and Mion are 15, 16, and 17 respectively. Rika and Satoko have never had their ages stated though they're usually considered to be 10-11.

Don't read this Silver.

One of those ages is quite wrong. :D

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Chickenfrogman posted:

It also made really weird design choices on stuff like who got portraits. Shimako who was of very limited importance getting one, but Suzaki and Sakura not getting them felt kind of strange for one example.

I think some people get new portraits in the fandisc, but yes it was kind of odd how Shimako gets one despite only appearing in one route and Kotarou gets one only for the Akane route and nothing else.

Continuing to read Higurashi and just past the explanation for the disappearance of Satoshi I feel like poo poo's gonna hit the fan soon after plowing through some okay but not great slice of life bits.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
My previous hypothesis about what was going on in Higurashi has been shattered. It seems that not just Rena, but Mion and Keiichi as well, have fallen victim to some kind of mind control. Contagious mind control explains everything pretty conveniently: Tomitake scratching out his own throat, the earlier disappearances, etc. The only problem is that a supernatural explanation like that undermines the mystery elements.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

planetarial posted:

I feel like poo poo's gonna hit the fan soon after plowing through some okay but not great slice of life bits.

This is probably why (with my already limited time) I won't finish it until like the end of this summer.

I just don't know how many more club games I can take!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Onikakushi and Watanagashi are probably the worst in that regard; they just aren't paced that well, mostly due to slow beginnings. I feel like it tightens up a bit starting with the third chapter and doesn't really look back (though Himatsubushi is sort of a special case).

LeeDless
Mar 28, 2010
Reading this thread I'm not sure why people hate the original Higurashi artwork so much.

On an unrelated note these are actual models you can buy. Thank you Japan.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

LeeDless posted:

Reading this thread I'm not sure why people hate the original Higurashi artwork so much.

I like how they have a figurine for Rena's "That's a lie!" sprite.

Seriously, though, I can see why the original sprites can be amusing, but when looked at unironically, they are terrible and ruin the mood of tense scenes.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 27, 2013

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

LeeDless posted:

It's ugly, the ham hands being the worst part. Sure the PS2 sprite art is generic but at least it's easy on the eyes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Good thing RK has gotten a bit better with the art. I prefer Umineko's original sprites over the PS3 versions.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Higurashi just made me change my mind about everything again. It seems good at doing that. New hypothesis: Mion's family are secretly experts on bizarre psychoactive drugs. They managed to use their influence to bribe/bully the CSI dude into not finding drugs in Tomitake's body.

That doesn't sound quite right either. Maybe the talk about drugs is there to set up an actual technical medical explanation for the strange behavior of Rena and Keiichi later on (Keiichi in particular seemed to suddenly become manic-depressive, and he received medicine from that doctor, who could have been a bad guy), while distracting from the real reason Tomitake died. Maybe he really did get hit on the head and go insane? There's no need for a supernatural explanation for any of this, though.

Ooishi is definitely going to be the next victim. A cop saying he's about to retire is a blatant death flag.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 28, 2013

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Just finished Rewrite's Terra route. It already said Fin, but i'm still waiting for everyone to circle up around Kotarou and start shouting "CONGRATULATIONS!". I'm just confused at this point, and i'll have to try and find a summary of what even happened. The only thing I can think of is some kind of witchy time magic caused Kotarou to be born way earlier than normal on the Terra route, which made him able to get poo poo done earlier or something? gently caress this got confusing fast, I was waiting for everything to get explained later on in the route, but I guess I just missed something earlier on because I never really understood anything.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

klapman posted:

Just finished Rewrite's Terra route. It already said Fin, but i'm still waiting for everyone to circle up around Kotarou and start shouting "CONGRATULATIONS!". I'm just confused at this point, and i'll have to try and find a summary of what even happened. The only thing I can think of is some kind of witchy time magic caused Kotarou to be born way earlier than normal on the Terra route, which made him able to get poo poo done earlier or something? gently caress this got confusing fast, I was waiting for everything to get explained later on in the route, but I guess I just missed something earlier on because I never really understood anything.

There's a Bad End in Terra that explains a lot. Suffice it to say that Kotarou was born at the same time in all routes.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

klapman posted:

Everything up to the choice when meeting Kagari in Terra was stuff that had already happened. In the original five routes, Kotarou tried to capture or kill Kagari, resulting in her chopping off his arm and Kotori saving him. This put him into a coma for around a decade. However, due to being part familiar, he didn't age. Guardian drugged him to wipe his memories, resulting in him thinking the times were much closer then they really were.

The problem with saving the world in the first five routes was that there wasn't enough time. Kotarou spending so long in a coma just made it 100% impossible for the Earth to be saved. In Moon, Kotarou putting that he wanted to meet Kagari again in the Theory of Life created the branch where Kotarou chooses to let Kagari escape instead of killing or capturing her. This prevents him from going into the coma and gives him a shitload more time to work with. He was subconsciously aware of what had been programmed into him by Moon, and thus subconsciously aware of the right choice to make in all the dialogue trees to get to the one possibility where the world is saved.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Oh, okay. That makes a lot more sense. At the point where you can get the bad ending, I was so used to the bad ends being nothing more than "you hosed up and died", so I didn't even bother doing anything but the obvious correct choice. Thanks for the explanations, everyone! I almost feel tempted to go back to the common route to see some of the foreshadowing, but this VN has already been incredibly long, so I think i'll pass on that. It was pretty okay, although I didn't like Terra too much compared to Moon and the others. It also gives the other routes a really weird vibe, and I feel especially sorry for Kotori because that had to have been loving weird.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Terra is a really mixed bag. I get what they were trying to do. Kotarou had to give up absolutely everything to save the world in a true ultimate sacrifice. He had to give up his friends, the occult club, any happy life he would have had, and he had to trap himself as the very person that he wanted to change away from in order to be able to save the world. That's a really cool idea. In practice though, it just kind of hurts the story to spend six routes with the same cast and then toss it all out the window including the main character for the grand finale.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Still reading Kashiwara's route in Kira Kira. "Uh, this isn't my love confession. I already did that the other day." :downs: I'm really not liking the look of the bandsman that they meet right outside of the club though. I get the feeling he's gonna do something to Kashiwara :ohdear:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

klapman posted:

It also gives the other routes a really weird vibe, and I feel especially sorry for Kotori because that had to have been loving weird.

Yeah, it makes the Kotarou/Kotori relationship really creepy. It also makes it strange that she never said, "By the way, you were in a coma for ten years and then forgot about it."

I find it interesting that Terra takes Kotarou out of high school, makes the five human heroines less important, undermines the romantic elements of at least one of the previous routes, and ends with Kotarou deliberately killing his current love interest. It's like it's going out of its way to undermine Key-style moe romance VNs. That's probably overthinking it, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 28, 2013

• Locked thread