Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Masunoyama was gut wrenching to watch. I thought "Well, this is it he's not getting up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

Masunoyama was gut wrenching to watch. I thought "Well, this is it he's not getting up."

Seriously. It was like watching Clint Malarchuk almost die on the ice. He usually gets up and looks like he just finished an interval workout, but that time he slumped to the ground and went into v-tach.

Such an anti-climactic final 2 days, but that's drama for you... all the build up was days 1-12 before the climax on 13. All that was left to do was tie up a couple of loose ends - Kotooshu somehow beats Kakuryu to keep Ozeki, and a clusterfuck of a July banzuke is confirmed to be underway.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Fryhtaning posted:

Seriously. It was like watching Clint Malarchuk almost die on the ice. He usually gets up and looks like he just finished an interval workout, but that time he slumped to the ground and went into v-tach.

Yeah that was insane - there needs to be an escape hatch so he can have the operation!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah that was insane - there needs to be an escape hatch so he can have the operation!

Next basho if he goes 8-0 to start he just needs to pull out on day 9 and have the operation that day.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Unsurprisingly, Kotooshu barely manages to save his skin against Kakuryu, but then again, who'd expected otherwise.

Repopulating the sanyaku ranks for next basho will be interesting. Myogiryu is no doubt returning to sekiwake, but for the other spot it's probably anyone's guess; Shohozan and Takayasu with 8-7 at M5 and Takekaze with 9-6 at M6 are probably going to fill them out and that's depending on whether or not they drop Goeido down to maegashira or komusubi.

Also, for the love of god, suspend Masunoyama on medical grounds or something before he kills himself.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Seeing how practically everyone between sekiwake and M5 did so poorly, I don't think Goeido will be going anywhere lower than komusubi. Matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved him laterally to the second sekiwake spot. Is it West or East that's more prestigious? I forget.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
East is more prestigious. It always weirds me out that east is on the left and west is on the right in the banzuke.

While I was rooting for Kisensato, Hakuho winning is cool by me. He's a lovable heel for me, in that I always root against him, but drat, he's a pleasure to watch.

Kotooshu, on the otherhand, can get hosed. Way sad that he managed his kk. I don't like Kotooshu or Kotoshogiku, but at least Kotoshogiku is amazing at one thing (his bear-hug then belly-bump out move). Kotooshu is just depressingly vanilla.

It will be interesting to see if Gagamaru's turned a corner, or if his great tournament was just a result of being down at M11. Assuming he's up at M4-5 or so next tourney, I wonder if he can stay balanced or if it'll be another belly-flop tourney for him.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kikkoman posted:

Seeing how practically everyone between sekiwake and M5 did so poorly, I don't think Goeido will be going anywhere lower than komusubi. Matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved him laterally to the second sekiwake spot. Is it West or East that's more prestigious? I forget.

I knew the banzuke was going to be a cluster, but that is insane. You're right - Goedi probably stays sekiwake but drops to west, with Myogiryu jumping to E sekiwake. The best candidates for komusubi are the two 8-7s at M5, or maybe Tokitenkuu at M7 with his 10 wins...

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I love watching Hakuho win because it's cool to watch one of the best of all time own bones

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I dunno how you can hate on Kotooshu when like 75% of his matches end with both guys in the 3rd row of the crowd.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

I dunno how you can hate on Kotooshu when like 75% of his matches end with both guys in the 3rd row of the crowd.

Unless you're in the 3rd row of said crowd :v:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

He's not my favorite either, but he does get a lot of undeserved hatred. Dude's been wrestling since 2003 and has been incredibly consistent with winning 8-10 matches per basho and has not once been kadoban without an injury. He is basically a foreign Kaio - terrible ikioi and ozeki-for-life - and Kaio was one of the most beloved rikishi of all time while being Mr. 8-7-By-The-Skin-Of-His-Teeth. He has been injured 6 times in 10 years, 4 of them in the last 2, so it's obvious that he is breaking down. I won't be cheering when he loses Ozeki, but when it happens it'll be his time.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

He's not my favorite either, but he does get a lot of undeserved hatred. Dude's been wrestling since 2003 and has been incredibly consistent with winning 8-10 matches per basho and has not once been kadoban without an injury. He is basically a foreign Kaio - terrible ikioi and ozeki-for-life - and Kaio was one of the most beloved rikishi of all time while being Mr. 8-7-By-The-Skin-Of-His-Teeth. He has been injured 6 times in 10 years, 4 of them in the last 2, so it's obvious that he is breaking down. I won't be cheering when he loses Ozeki, but when it happens it'll be his time.

To be honest I'll give props to any foreign rikishi because of the poo poo they catch from the racists. Due to the way things are, they can't even respond to it, they just have to take it.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Good call on Goeido staying Sekiwake. He and Myougiryu are rightfully in that slot. Gonna be interesting seeing Tokitenkuu wrestling most, if not all, of the sanyaku as Komusubi. He is a beast on the belt so he can do some damage.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

Gonna be interesting seeing Tokitenkuu wrestling most, if not all, of the sanyaku as Komusubi. He is a beast on the belt so he can do some damage.

I can't see him doing much there, komusubi's been a revolving door of guys getting stomped on and i can't see him bucking that trend.

an interesting thing to watch for will be Baruto at M6 - if he's finally healthy he should mop the floor with the competition at that level. i don't expect it to happen but i wouldn't be terribly surprised if he was to contend for a yusho from that position thanks to how greatly he outclasses the opposition further down the banzuke. like i said though, only if he's healthy.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Ok, I'm watching Japanese TV and they keep talking about Kisenosato's yokozuna run? What the gently caress? Homeboy hasn't even won a tournament in his career yet alone the 2 in a row generally needed to be promoted. They REALLY want a Japanese yokozuna, huh?

On a less annoying note, Sokokurai is back! He'll be M15. I'm looking forward to his re-debut.

Edit: Also, to any Tokyo goons, I'd be really down for going to a Monday or Sunday of the next Tokyo basho. I need someone who I can comfortably make gross jokes and curse with while we sit in the cheap seats after having a couple of beers.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 24, 2013

Paratan
Jan 1, 2008

it's sumo, folks
Yeah, and very excited about it! A Japanese sumo fan who struck up a conversation with me on a language exchange site did so by saying this next nagoyabasho may determine kisenosato's promotion. I'm not that clear on the rules, so is it something like winning 30+ fights over 3 bashos can also make you eligible?
I've been reading sumo articles on google news every day to practice Japanese and it does come up a lot.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Wiki says posted:

The de facto standard is to win two consecutive championships as ōzeki or an equivalent performance. In the case where the "equivalent performance" criterion is used the wrestler's record over the previous three tournaments is taken into account with an expectation of at least one tournament victory and two runner-up performances, with none of the three records falling below twelve wins.

If you're close to the standards they may debate your promotion by looking at the quality of your wins/horribleness of your losses/total tournament wins/etc. Basically if they wanted to promote a Japanese yoko I'm sure they could get away with it easily enough.

edit - Here's Kisenosato's records If he pulls off a zen yusho I could see him getting the promotion but anything else and I think it's still a tad premature.

Last 10 tournaments:
Hakuho 132-18 .8800
Harumafuji 112-38 .7455
Kisenosato 104-46 .6933
Kakuryu 96-54 .6400
Kotoshogiku 85-65 .5666 (missed most of Sept. 2009 tournament)
Baruto 75-75 .5000 (won a total of 5 matches in three tournaments where he was injured)
Kotooshu 74-76 .4933 (missed two tourneys)

Yeah I had way too much coffee this morning. I could definitely see him getting the promotion with a championship even if he loses one or two matches. Harumafuji's 44-16 in his last four tourneys so the Yokozuna bar is seemingly low right now. Hakuho's a dreamboat though :swoon:

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 24, 2013

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Eeeeeeeh, I call bullshit on any promotion with less than 2 consecutive tournament wins. Harumafuji at least rose above one of the best all-time (if not THE best) yokozuna in history for two consecutive tournaments and Kise hasn't even won one tournament. Maybe it's my Kise hate shining through, but I just don't think he should be considered unless he's at least consistent enough to win two tournaments. Giving him the promotion after the last year is pretty absurd. His best record before the most recent tournament was 11 wins. While Harumafuji hasn't been doing stellar as a yokozuna (RELATIVELY, let's remember that Hakuho is insanely dominant historically), in the past year he's won 3 tournaments, all undefeated 15-0 performances. Sorry,I just think it's pretty transparent nationalism to even consider Kise at this point.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

I can't see him doing much there, komusubi's been a revolving door of guys getting stomped on and i can't see him bucking that trend.

Oh I'm sure he'll be stomped upon, but he may pull off a couple of big upsets in the process.

I also call bullshit on Kise's shot at Yokozuna unless he wins one of the next 2 basho and wins 12 or so in the other. There is no doubt that he is currently the best Ozeki, though. Also, Hakuho's 88% victory rate is insane.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Fryhtaning posted:

Oh I'm sure he'll be stomped upon, but he may pull off a couple of big upsets in the process.

I also call bullshit on Kise's shot at Yokozuna unless he wins one of the next 2 basho and wins 12 or so in the other. There is no doubt that he is currently the best Ozeki, though. Also, Hakuho's 88% victory rate is insane.

I agree. They may be talking him up but until he wins one tournament it is a moot point.

He has had a good run over the past two years and the last Basho was impressive but he needs to take that jump and beat Hakuho.

Just looked at Hakuho's wiki and he is on a 30 bout winning streak. Every time I read his wiki I get more impressed.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Dr.Radical posted:

Eeeeeeeh, I call bullshit on any promotion with less than 2 consecutive tournament wins. Harumafuji at least rose above one of the best all-time (if not THE best) yokozuna in history for two consecutive tournaments and Kise hasn't even won one tournament. Maybe it's my Kise hate shining through, but I just don't think he should be considered unless he's at least consistent enough to win two tournaments. Giving him the promotion after the last year is pretty absurd. His best record before the most recent tournament was 11 wins. While Harumafuji hasn't been doing stellar as a yokozuna (RELATIVELY, let's remember that Hakuho is insanely dominant historically), in the past year he's won 3 tournaments, all undefeated 15-0 performances. Sorry,I just think it's pretty transparent nationalism to even consider Kise at this point.

I agree its transparent nationalism but sumo has a lot of transparent nationalism in it (which is dumb.)
Probably the timing of his promotion (2 wins or not) will give a good indicator of the mood of the association.

If he gets promoted without a really strong record and starts sucking the poo poo afterwards it could really backfire on the nationalists. Wasn't there a guy in the 80s who got yokozuna with a pretty weak record and it just ended up being a total clusterfuck?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I suspect the fact that I first got into sumo while Hakuho was in his prime means all future yokozuna will be ruined for me.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Anime Reference posted:

I suspect the fact that I first got into sumo while Hakuho was in his prime means all future yokozuna will be ruined for me.

Sure, but even without Hakuho there's no way that Kisensato (who I like) deserves Yokozuna without for going 14-1 twice in a row (without the Yushos).

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Uncle Jam posted:

I agree its transparent nationalism but sumo has a lot of transparent nationalism in it (which is dumb.)
Probably the timing of his promotion (2 wins or not) will give a good indicator of the mood of the association.

If he gets promoted without a really strong record and starts sucking the poo poo afterwards it could really backfire on the nationalists. Wasn't there a guy in the 80s who got yokozuna with a pretty weak record and it just ended up being a total clusterfuck?

That would be Futahaguro. Promoted after two jun-yusho in a row in '86 and kicked out of sumo after some altercation with his stable master after just 8 bashos. Notable for being the only yokozuna without a single Makuuchi yusho in his career. :eng101:.

Besides, promoting Kise without back-to-back yusho is just silly. The pressure to perform as a yokozuna is huge, doubly so if you're the first Japanese one after a 15+ year dry spell. Triply so if you've been promoted without really fulfilling the requirements. Harumafuji is no Hakuho or Asashoryu but he at least has his back-to-back yushos. Lastly, there hasn't been a Japanese yusho for over seven years. Now they're getting poo poo for not winning as ozeki. Imagine if they were a winless yokozuna.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 25, 2013

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Holy poo poo. Just watched a little segment on TV about how Takamisakari sucks at sports besides sumo. It ruled pretty hard.

Edit: Also some video of Osunaarashi. Takamisakari did a little training with him. Didn't get to see any Osunaarashi vs. Takamisakari bouts, though.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 6, 2013

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Holy poo poo. Just watched a little segment on TV about how Takamisakari sucks at sports besides sumo. It ruled pretty hard.

Edit: Also some video of Osunaarashi. Takamisakari did a little training with him. Didn't get to see any Osunaarashi vs. Takamisakari bouts, though.

Dude looks like the tin man moving around the ring, so no surprise there. That the kind of segment that'd end up on YouTube? Would love to see more personal spots on wrestlers.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Not really sure. It was a segment on a variety show with Takeshi Kitano. It's possible it's on youtube, I suppose.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Here we go!

Day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzAjqqmHPk

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Yeah buddy!!

White boys looked completely uninspired on day one. Kisenosato indeed looked scared shitless, and of the 34 year old midget Takekaze. Hopefully he calms down after busting that first nut.

And I'm surprised they found anything left of Takayasu after that nuclear tachi-ai by Kotoshogiku.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

Yeah buddy!!

White boys looked completely uninspired on day one. Kisenosato indeed looked scared shitless, and of the 34 year old midget Takekaze. Hopefully he calms down after busting that first nut.

personally, i hope kisenosato bombs hard this tournament, even though i generally like him. i don't want him to earn a yokozuna promotion without consecutive yusho.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Stop putting little old ladies in harm's way Hakuho! :argh:

And Kisenosato being in line for promotion to yokozuna without having won consecutive yusho is horseshit.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
It was a decent Day 1, I thought. I would have liked to see a Sokokurai win but you can't have everything, I guess. I'd like to see a Harumafuji yusho or at least a jun-yusho this basho. I'd also like Kisenosato to be destroyed.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Dr.Radical posted:

It was a decent Day 1, I thought. I would have liked to see a Sokokurai win but you can't have everything, I guess. I'd like to see a Harumafuji yusho or at least a jun-yusho this basho. I'd also like Kisenosato to be destroyed.

i can't see sokokurai pulling off a kachi-koshi this basho, unfortunately. i don't think any amount of training that he's done during his ban will have been adequate to prevent him being too rusty to compete at a makuuchi level.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
You're probably right but I'm still rooting for him. Also the Osunaarashi saga has begun!

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKZtALX_mPk.

Chiyotairyu :black101:. Nice effort by Takayasu as well, not falling over and making Hakuho really work for his win.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I laughed out loud when Hakuho rode him off the dohyo like a sled

For a second I thought Tochinoshin was going to pick Chiyonokuni over his head and slam him down in the ring, that was impressive!

edit- it's going to be interesting moving forward this basho for Osunaarashi. Ramadan begin tonight which means he'll be fighting most of it on an empty stomach

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 8, 2013

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
The rikishi all seem like they're being nicer to eachother today. Helping people up and holding on to them to prevent them from falling unnecessarily. Is this just because of the scare with the old lady?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
So if Baruto is back next basho, healthy and in juryo, just how severely is he going to destroy everyone there?

And I barely recognized Gagamaru without the light blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

dupersaurus posted:

So if Baruto is back next basho, healthy and in juryo, just how severely is he going to destroy everyone there?

pretty severely. if he manages to stay at a low maegashira rank and is healthy i could very easily see him pulling a kyokutenho and winning a yusho as a rank-and-filer. i'm glad he's sitting this one out, he's dominant enough against lower competition that if he comes back healthy it should be a pretty quick charge back to ozeki.