Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zhou Tai and Lu Su are classy motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Oh my god Lu Su. :swoon:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I especially like how Sun Jian has that precious jade imperial symbol thing that the entire country wants to get just tied around his neck.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Samurai Sanders posted:

No one touches Dynasty Warriors for weird DLC costumes. No one.

I would touch that one only on the condition that Zhou Tai's musou was altered into a dance sequence from Moonwalker.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Gimnbo posted:

It took me a second to realize what was actually different about SSX's costume.

Every time I see SSX mentioned in the thread I think of the game SSX and not an abbreviation of the character name. But I will instantly buy any DLC that had her in winter outfit throwing snowboards.

Edit: I wish they did Zhou Tai costume in white so I could go smooth criminal all over china.

zarron fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 10, 2013

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I got bored and installed my old copy of Dynasty Warriors 4 Hyper. This game seems way harder than I remember it being.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Hey, I am wondering if I should buy Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires or Warriors Orochi 3 on PSN. I would really like the strategic elements, but the consensus seems to be that Warriors Orochi 3 is one of the best titles in the entire line. I've only played some of Dynasty Warriors 7 and a lot of Ken's Rage. Which would be preferable? Also, Warriors Orochi 3 is currently 20 dollars cheaper.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Hey, I am wondering if I should buy Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires or Warriors Orochi 3 on PSN. I would really like the strategic elements, but the consensus seems to be that Warriors Orochi 3 is one of the best titles in the entire line. I've only played some of Dynasty Warriors 7 and a lot of Ken's Rage. Which would be preferable? Also, Warriors Orochi 3 is currently 20 dollars cheaper.
I haven't played Empires since 5 or 6, but I'm sure it hasn't changed from being ridiculously repetitive. From my experince, there's little to no strategy aside from "attack land A>Win>Attack Land B>etc etc. I'd go with Orochi 3 or wait for Dynasty Warriors 8 which should be out in a couple months. You might already know, but WO3 is like a ridiculous mash-up of everything Omega Force has ever done. There's Joan of Arc, Achilles, Ryu Hyubusa, Lu Bu, everyone from Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors and a couple others going through time, recruiting warriors, fighting Chinese Gods and a Hydra. I fully expect Kenshiro to be in 4.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

zarron posted:

Every time I see SSX mentioned in the thread I think of the game SSX and not an abbreviation of the character name. But I will instantly buy any DLC that had her in winter outfit throwing snowboards.
Evidently, you're not alone:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finally decided to finish off Shosei mode in DW8 and...I marvel how badly it was designed. On a basic level there are three resources you need to finish: people, fame, and building materials. If you play like normal, people and fame will max out EONS before building materials do. You'll be at 100% on both of those and like 25% on materials. After that it's a painful, stupid grind to get the rest of them, and its not even fighting against enemy generals (even faceless ones) since they are all already on your side. It's just generic base commanders buffed up until they have as many hit points as officers. I just did 35 battles back to back and got it from 65% complete to 80%.

I just want to see what that palace or whatever is like when it's done...

edit: and of course you can't buy building materials with money, which I have infinity of because every single enemy with any text above their head drops a weapon when they die, which I just turn around and sell.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 13, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I just wanted to say that The Ravages of Time is still amazing and since this year the author's been writing Changban. :allears:

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Courtesy of getting sent home from work due to being racked with a cold, and also courtesy of that cold sapping my motivation to do anything other than lay about on the couch and groan in pain, I figured the best use of about four hours would be to watch John Woo's 'Red Cliff' movies.

I enjoyed the character development, particularly Zhou Yu and Zhuge Liang's qin duel, and rolled my eyes at typical John Woo ham-fisted visuals like, WE GET IT A loving TURTLE JESUS CHRIST, and of course the god drat white doves. But to be fair, I did enjoy the perspective tricks he pulled when Zhuge was recognizing the 'wings' formation and his fan was perfectly shaped for it.
I am pretty sure that anyone else in this thread that saw the movies, must've gone 'what in the gently caress?!' at Huang Gai's faked defection getting rejected as an idea (when it was pretty much pivotal to initiating the fire attack), and especially at Gan Ning's death. I don't think the rest of the movie was good enough to step that far out of the constraints of history. But then again I can get pretty neurotic about historic accuracy in entertainment media... which by some incredible magic can be gleefully suspended for the DW/SW games. I'm an rear end in a top hat that way I guess.

Question for you astute, scholarly enthusiasts of history. A friend of mine at work related to me that he thoroughly enjoyed details of Japanese history but pretty much knew nothing about China's 3 kingdom era. What is likely the best introductory book, in English I could recommend him? He's not a loving idiot but at the same time the subject matter can be sprawling, overwhelming and dry to tackle it from a historian's point of view.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Ehhh, Ravages of Time goes way, way further out of the bounds of "historic accuracy" -- then again, its take is very much "history is bullshit because it's written by the victors, so who's to say that the mythology isn't actually more truthful than the official histories?" There's a scene where a historian in Cao Cao's employ outright admits that Dong Zhuo's going to be demonized in history to make Cao Cao's own "lording over the Emperor" look better, while Liu Bei at one point essentially voices his belief that dynasties' last emperors weren't as bad as recorded, but rather that the usurpers were justifying themselves, and Lu Bu and Zhang Fei individually... ahahaha holy poo poo.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
Is it wrong of me to be pleased that the character designs have been moving steadily back toward the DW5 designs? I really loved the original character designs, which were essentially just being tweaked in every iteration. I was pretty disappointed with the DW6 redesign - which would have been fine, I guess, if most of the characters didn't suddenly look like rear end.

Anyway, kudos to Koei for slowly working back toward the original designs. Looking forward to picking up DW8.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

The dialogue in this game owns, and it's all voiced. I wasn't expecting to have this much fun, I just beat it.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Someone on Tumblr (disclaimer: "English is not my main language") went ahead and did a "quick" translation of the official Japanese Dynasty Warriors 8 (Shinsangokumusou 7) Twitter account's descriptions of the DLC outfits:
The Wei ones:
The Wu ones:
EDIT: To quote the Tumblr user, "I loving CAN'T" (the rest are here)

Chortles fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 16, 2013

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I have no idea what this is except that it's called Nobunaga's Ambition Online and it has people fighting demons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z2xIH5IK_0

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Belzac posted:

I have no idea what this is except that it's called Nobunaga's Ambition Online and it has people fighting demons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z2xIH5IK_0

That sure is a trailer for a PS2 game from 2003 right there you just posted, yep.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That sure is a trailer for a PS2 game from 2003 right there you just posted, yep.

I was wondering why it said ps2 in the description but it also says PS3 and it was just posted a few hours ago on Koei's official youtube. Maybe a remake?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nobunaga's Ambition Online is on PS3 I think, like Dynasty Warriors Online and Uncharted Waters Online. Japan only. It came out in like '09.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
From what I can gather from Japanese news sites it's a trailer for their repackaging of the game in a sort of master's collection or expansion of some sort.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
From "Five Tiger Generals of Shu" to "the Benevolence Rangers":

quote:

Shouryuu Sentai Tiger Five
Liu Bei: Head commander
Zhao Yun: Jin-red
Guan Yu: Jin-green
Zhang Fei: Jin-black
Ma Chao: Jin-blue
Huang Zhong: Jin-yellow
※Shouryuu= Rising Dragon. Jin = Benevolence (not the faction, who in Japanese was called Shin)

The enemies:
Zhuge Liang: Leader
Yueying: Top member
Wei Yan: Mysterious man WEIYAN
Liu Shan: Grunt

Guan Ping: Caring physiotherapist
Pang Tong: Genius surgeon who can perform surgery casually
Jiang Wei: Young policeman who burns with ideals
Xingcai: Cool woman progolfer
Ma Dai: Calligrapher who is too cheerful
Guan Suo: Figure skater who looks good with flower
Bao Sanniang: The idol of figure skate world
Xu Shu: Snowboarder with too much worry in his mind
Guan Xing: Bellboy who looks absentminded
Zhang Bao: Doorman who likes to take care of others
Guan Yinping: Bellgirl who can carry a lot of luggages

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Aaand we've finally got "Others" and Jin to round out the DLC outfits.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Is Lu Bu... mother loving Kazuma Kiryu?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sonata Mused posted:

Is Lu Bu... mother loving Kazuma Kiryu?

Seems about right.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Haha, Shosei mode in DW8 just told me to gently caress off so very loudly. I had been slowly grinding building components but I was heartened by the fact that weapon components, which I don't need right now, can be exchanged at the trading post for building components at a ratio of 1:2 (and 2:1 the other way), and I always got more weapon components than building. Finally, I upgrade the trading post all the way and what do I see? It changed so that the exchange is 1:1 both ways.

I was originally going to tough it out and finish Shosei mode but now I don't see myself doing that. Seriously what the gently caress you guys, this is maybe the worst designed thing you have ever had in a Musou game and that's saying a LOT.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Seems about right.
Here we go:

Speaking of which:

Joining Diaochan in the "way more clothes in DLC than by default" category:

And this is all on its own:

Source which includes the other three (Dong Zhuo, Yuan Shao, Zuo Ci).

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Man I haven't played a DW game since about five and then I picked up both Next and Warriors Orochi 3. Holy poo poo are things different especially in Orochi. Orochi seems even more grindy than all the other games combined since you need to get up bonds, weapons, and level. That being said it's fun as hell to play and now I am looking forward to getting DW 8. Having watched some videos of 8 though it seems so much faster and a little bit more complicated. I was watching a dude basically doing infinites and jump canceling which seems new to me for these games.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

ChaosReaper posted:

Man I haven't played a DW game since about five and then I picked up both Next and Warriors Orochi 3. Holy poo poo are things different especially in Orochi. Orochi seems even more grindy than all the other games combined since you need to get up bonds, weapons, and level. That being said it's fun as hell to play and now I am looking forward to getting DW 8. Having watched some videos of 8 though it seems so much faster and a little bit more complicated. I was watching a dude basically doing infinites and jump canceling which seems new to me for these games.

You can do infinite combos in Next with the R1 button. Same with Orochi and switch attacks. The systems in 8 is almost identical to 7 (which is what Next is based off of).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I checked out PSN today and saw that Strikeforce is available on there for 20 bucks. Is it worth getting?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
From walkthrough footage I've seen, it's Dynasty Warriors 7 or 8(Shang Xiang has her bow, Primary and secondary weapon type) with greater air combat(Everyone can get about 3-5 jumps and dashes, with Musou Mode adding another. On the one hand, it looks and feels crazy. Yay Wuxia/Dragonball! On the other hand, platforming is a thing later on in the game)+Diablo(Grinding for gear, or rather, grinding for shops that sell gear and parts to make that gear-a lot more palatable to some than your standard Randomly Drops, not so for others).

The thing is made for multiplayer. There are ways the game compensates in singleplayer(You can have a team of allied officers that you can also equip out-four times the equip to get, but I imagine it feels more awesome), but from reading I did, the game apparently treats the AI characters as real characters and scales HP appropriately.

There's a very large amount of missions, though, so it's not like you're being short-changed on that kind of front. It's just you'll need to re-run them for stuff, and that's nothing new in Dynasty Warriors.

I'd consider it myself if I had the systems it came out on, but I don't.

I'm sure someone will call me out on any BS I may have inadvertently said.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 27, 2013

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
Given that I'm completely new to the series should I start with plain DW7, XL or Empires? What are the differences between the three?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You should probably wait until next month when Dynasty Warriors 8 comes out. If you had to get one of those three though, I'd suggest basic 7. XL is like an expansion pack that requires it, and Empires is a spinoff.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mecharasputin posted:

Given that I'm completely new to the series should I start with plain DW7, XL or Empires? What are the differences between the three?
XL is only an expansion pack basically, it will operate on its own but has way less content. Empires is action gameplay + strategy game kinda stuff, I haven't played those much.

edit: despite what I said earlier, I toughed it out and finished Shosei mode in 8. It wasn't worth it. My god that mode gets boring once you have all of the officers in the entire game (both the playable and unplayable ones) in your stable. However, I have only started the unique free mode battles, which are way fun so far. Also I got the wacky weapons DLC and now have a laser spear and corndog clubs and stuff. The missions to get them are silly fun too.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 27, 2013

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
I had no idea 8 comes out this soon, guess I'll have to find a different game to tide me over through June. Thanks!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, the only Warriors game I have is the first Samurai Warriors. I never really was interested in the Dynasty Warriors games, but the Samurai one caught my attention. The voice acting, while sometimes bad, also had some hilariously bad acting as well. Plus, Maeda Keiji is Steve Blum, Uesugi Kenshin is the guy who voiced Jet Black, and Oichi is Wendee Lee. Also, Oda Nobunaga is practically Darth Vader.

After looking up the battles featured in the game, I was surprised at how many historical moments actually seeped into the game, such as Kenshin and Shingen's single combat at Kawanakajima, or Sanada Yukimura's last stand at Osaka.

Should I grab the Xtreme Legends expansion? And how do the other Samurai series games stack up to the first? For such a repetitive game, it is oddly compelling, and I've sunk an embarrassing amount of time into it.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Should I grab the Xtreme Legends expansion? And how do the other Samurai series games stack up to the first? For such a repetitive game, it is oddly compelling, and I've sunk an embarrassing amount of time into it.

SW2 is basically SW1 but bigger, with more characters (though Goemon is absent) and therefore more battles. The voice acting took a big hit, and it lacks a lot of the first game's humor (especially where Masamune is concerned), but if that doesn't bother you, it's a good buy, along with its own XL expansion. If that's a deal breaker, go ahead and pick up SW1XL.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Maleketh posted:

SW2 is basically SW1 but bigger, with more characters (though Goemon is absent) and therefore more battles. The voice acting took a big hit, and it lacks a lot of the first game's humor (especially where Masamune is concerned), but if that doesn't bother you, it's a good buy, along with its own XL expansion. If that's a deal breaker, go ahead and pick up SW1XL.

I just looked up some gameplay of the second game. The 360 version looks alright, but the Ps2 one somehow looks worse than the first game. And OH DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO KEIJI AND YUKIMURA!? You went from Steve Blum to this wannabe surfer dude? You weren't kidding about the voice acting. Come to think of it, Samurai Warriors 1 actually has fairly decent voice work.

And nothing will ever be as funny as Masamune's homicidal tendency to fight both sides in a given fight with only a pair of wooden swords. For such a dark game (compared to Dynasty Warriors, at least), there was a lot of humor to even out. You go from the depressing as gently caress Mitsuhide storyline, to Keiji fighting the entire population of Kyoto, or Okuni wandering the battlefield looking for donations from soldiers.

Also, Magoichi turns into Rambo with his second outfit.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

sandpiper posted:

The dialogue in this game owns, and it's all voiced. I wasn't expecting to have this much fun, I just beat it.

Having just gotten WO3 and I'm half-wondering if they were taking a shot at the west with Achilles. Troy's an M-rated game with blood and poo poo and apparently the Warriors producer wasn't too happy about that. And Achilles is a bloodthirsty rear end in a top hat who nobody likes and is the only one of the guest characters to start out with the villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Suben posted:

Having just gotten WO3 and I'm half-wondering if they were taking a shot at the west with Achilles. Troy's an M-rated game with blood and poo poo and apparently the Warriors producer wasn't too happy about that. And Achilles is a bloodthirsty rear end in a top hat who nobody likes and is the only one of the guest characters to start out with the villains.
It might be less a shot at "the West" and more at how Troy was deliberately made more with a "Western-style" gritty aesthetic, Western plot, and less stereotypically Warriors gameplay to address the long-standing complaints from Western players/reviewers, yet that didn't result in it doing better sales than the other Warriors franchises did. As for "Achilles the bloodthirsty rear end in a top hat who nobody likes"... hey, maybe that's what the Koei guys think of the version from the source material anyway! :v:

Whereas Liu Bei got the whitewash treatment in DW7...