Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

goethe42 posted:

So, because most (if not all) of those gentile, unwashed, plague-ridden peasants defaulted and the moneylenders thus lost their money, they asked for outrageous interest rates just for fun/to make it more interesting, but lend the money they knew they wouldn't get back anyway?

"Ok, I'll lend you the twenty million bitcoins now and because I know you will never pay me back anyway, let's say you should pay me back 30 million bitcoins in a years time!"

That's a business model I don't quite understand, to be frank.

Is there a word for the opposite of anti-semitism?
(Like Pratchetts "knurd" as the opposite of "drunk", drunk - sober - knurd)

If there were no such thing as bankruptcy, and instead you could essentially become indebted to a creditor for life, I think you'd find that lending anyone pretty much anything they want to borrow would be pretty lucrative. The idea is that over a person's lifetime, they'd eventually pay back how much they originally owed, and top of that they would still in debt and paying you something for the rest of their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Weren't there cases of slavery/serfdom caused by debt throughout the Middle Ages though?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

goethe42 posted:

So, because most (if not all) of those gentile, unwashed, plague-ridden peasants defaulted and the moneylenders thus lost their money, they asked for outrageous interest rates just for fun/to make it more interesting, but lend the money they knew they wouldn't get back anyway?

"Ok, I'll lend you the twenty million bitcoins now and because I know you will never pay me back anyway, let's say you should pay me back 30 million bitcoins in a years time!"

That's a business model I don't quite understand, to be frank.

The general theory of money lending is that you charge interest according to the risk of the investment. If someone's a sure bet you don't charge them much since you know you'll see it back. If they're likely to default, you could just not loan them money, or you could charge them a whole lot more, so that those who pay back the huge fees make up for the ones that default. In systems that impose legal limits on how high rates can go, a lot of people just have no credit. Without those limits, if you're going to make three times your investment on people who do pay back, it doesn't matter if you never see a cent from half your borrowers, never mind the ones that pay part back but not all.

And of course, even if you're not actively greedy and abusive about it and just make a modest living(however unlikely that is), just to keep your head above water you're still charging exorbitant fees especially to the people who actually are good and pay their debts on time, and no one's going to love you for that.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The Case of Poland and the Bathing Jew seems refuted by Spain. Muslim bathing habits were also quite fastidious and Spanish Christians by-and-large adopted them as well. Isolation seems a better example, since Spain was a hub for trade and Poland . . . wasn't.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Riso posted:

In continental Europe peasants usually did not have any money, so when needed any they went to money lenders. They in turn asked for outrageous interest rates because they knew most, if not all, peasants would default on their payment anyway.

For the most part, the peasants weren't a very productive source of money and most definitely weren't where most of the Medieval loans were headed. Because the Papacy had mandated that Christians weren't permitted to lend money, Jews were forced by circumstances into the money-lending trade because of the huge societal gap there. As such, there was a bizarre societal idea of Jews as agents of either the king or the Pope and, indeed, many of the Medieval attacks on Jews were examples of people taking out their frustrations with either Pope or King on targets that couldn't fight back.

Indeed, the top rung of society were the ones most frequently taking loans from Jews and were also the people most avidly promoting anti-Semitic slogans in hopes of sometimes just having the moneylender expelled/killed rather than having to repay debts. You can see this en masse in the 1290 English expulsion of Jews from England, where most of the English nobility and even the crown itself were in horrifying debt and getting rid of all of the Jews was seen as the easiest way out of their financial obligations.

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

The Kingdom of Poland had one major river: the Vistula, which emptied into the Baltic at Danzig and through which all trade with Europe happened. At the outset of the plague, The Knights of the Teutonic Order held Danzig and had effectively blocked Poland off from the rest of Europe (the two kingdoms never got along).

That's why Poland was spared the Black Plague.

rzeszowianin 44 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 28, 2013

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
"Gabon without France is like a car with no driver. France without Gabon is like a car with no fuel..."

france_is_secretly_the_worsts_country_in_the_world.png

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Patter Song posted:

For the most part, the peasants weren't a very productive source of money and most definitely weren't where most of the Medieval loans were headed. Because the Papacy had mandated that Christians weren't permitted to lend money, Jews were forced by circumstances into the money-lending trade because of the huge societal gap there. As such, there was a bizarre societal idea of Jews as agents of either the king or the Pope and, indeed, many of the Medieval attacks on Jews were examples of people taking out their frustrations with either Pope or King on targets that couldn't fight back.

Indeed, the top rung of society were the ones most frequently taking loans from Jews and were also the people most avidly promoting anti-Semitic slogans in hopes of sometimes just having the moneylender expelled/killed rather than having to repay debts. You can see this en masse in the 1290 English expulsion of Jews from England, where most of the English nobility and even the crown itself were in horrifying debt and getting rid of all of the Jews was seen as the easiest way out of their financial obligations.

Yeah, a surprising number of incidents of European persecution of Jews are connected with irresponsible borrowing by those with more political power than cash on hand. There was no system that would facilitate the financing of wars by monarchs through bonds etc., so they tapped the aristocracy directly with an implicit promise of a share of any spoils, and/or they took out a loan.

Protocol 5 fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 25, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Trench_Rat posted:

"Gabon without France is like a car with no driver. France without Gabon is like a car with no fuel..."

france_is_secretly_the_worsts_country_in_the_world.png

Countries the Franc is still used in

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ThePutty posted:

Countries the Franc is still used in

The Swiss franc and the CFA franc have nothing to do with the old French franc - basically this is a map of "countries using currency called the franc".

A bad map.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Compressed Natural Gas stations for vehicle fuel. What are they doing in Oklahoma?

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Compressed Natural Gas stations for vehicle fuel. What are they doing in Oklahoma?

Gonna take a guess and say it might be popular at the source if the source is Oklahoma.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oklahoma is full of oil wells and natural gas is a byproduct of oil production. There's been all sorts of rebates put in place recently to encourage natural gas vehicles in Oklahoma.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

MrChips posted:

The Swiss franc and the CFA franc have nothing to do with the old French franc - basically this is a map of "countries using currency called the franc".

A bad map.

The CFA franc was pegged to the value of the French franc.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

MrChips posted:

Those countries (obviously excluding Switzerland) using a currency called the franc is as much a legacy of the colonial period as the military agreements and French military interventions.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TheImmigrant posted:

The CFA franc was pegged to the value of the French franc.
And it's currently pegged to the value of the Euro... by the French treasury. I had no idea. That's fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFA_franc

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Compressing natural gas.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Home of Chesapeake Energy, one of the largest proponents of CNG in cars.

For instance, see: http://www.chk.com/news/articles/pages/1621871.aspx

vickser
Dec 27, 2012

Agronox posted:

Home of Chesapeake Energy, one of the largest proponents of CNG in cars.

For instance, see: http://www.chk.com/news/articles/pages/1621871.aspx

I believe T. Boone Pickens has been on the "natural gas in cars" bandwagon for about a decade as well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

vickser posted:

I believe T. Boone Pickens has been on the "natural gas in cars" bandwagon for about a decade as well.

He's since moved to wind I believe.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

computer parts posted:

He's since moved to wind I believe.

He moved away from wind a few years ago because natural gas prices have fallen so much.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

dilbertschalter posted:

He moved away from wind a few years ago because natural gas prices have fallen so much.

The "Pickens plan" was always a (somewhat fake) combination of the two. He wants the U.S. vehicle fleet over to natural gas, with some lip service about using sustainables to replace gas turbines to power the grid. I figured it was just a ploy to raise NG demand though.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

KernelSlanders posted:

I figured it was just a ploy to raise NG demand though.

It's really an interesting choice; if it weren't for the massive infrastructure costs CNG cars make a good deal of sense. But I'm not sure if it's worth investing in the infrastructure, because who knows how long the natty boom can last.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Do CNG cars tend to be more or less explosive than gasoline?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I have a question about maps that is politically-loaded, but not a map to share.

So in the 1600's/1700's Connecticut and Pennsylvania had conflicting land claims about certain territory, especially the Wyoming Valley. The Royal government sides with Connecticut in the early 1770's and this decision stands until it is overturned about 10 years later by the Continental Congress. Why then do all maps of the American Revolutionary War show that area as part of Pennsylvania? It was Connecticut until 1782.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
These maps were posted in the Pictures thread:

Saint Sputnik posted:

Some maps from http://mapsontheweb.tumblr.com/

World Map by most recent war fought on each country’s land

Atheists

Bigfoot sightings + booze laws

Fandyien posted:

Pangea mapped with modern political borders

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

These maps were posted in the Pictures thread:
That bigfoot/booze map seems odd... it lists Massachusetts as a state where beer and liquor are sold anywhere, but I work in a grocery store in Massachusetts and have to routinely explain to folks from out of state that Massachusetts doesn't sell alcohol in grocery stores.

Also, who the hell thought they saw bigfoot in Rhode Island, and why is Maryland of all places a bigfoot hotspot?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'm quite a fan of Alternative History maps, would some of the more exceptional works be okay to post here?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Plenty were posted earlier on in the thread.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Eiba posted:

That bigfoot/booze map seems odd... it lists Massachusetts as a state where beer and liquor are sold anywhere, but I work in a grocery store in Massachusetts and have to routinely explain to folks from out of state that Massachusetts doesn't sell alcohol in grocery stores.

Iowa is also colored as "liquor at specialty stores only", but liquor has been available in grocery stores for maybe 10 years, and it was expanded to convenience stores and other retailers in 2011 or so. I think their source for state liquor regulations is just painfully out of date.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Hypothetical map for "regions" in a united Europe. Regions are constructed to each hold roughly 10 million people, and are drawn based on nationality and "neatness".

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

The Narrator posted:

Hypothetical map for "regions" in a united Europe. Regions are constructed to each hold roughly 10 million people, and are drawn based on nationality and "neatness".

Uhhh. No Bosnia? Georgian Pontus? Uber Bulgaria? I think Burgundy is almost in the right spot.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

This is a survey map from the good people at the Alternative History Discussion Board.

and China!

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 2, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The Narrator posted:

Finally, we Eestis are recognized as a part of the Scandanavian Sphere, not lumped in with those filthy Balts!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

Finally, we Eestis are recognized as a part of the Scandanavian Sphere, not lumped in with those filthy Balts!

Someone somewhere... WANTS to be finnish?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Mister Adequate posted:

Hah. Finnosphere is exluded from scandinavia.

Also, where is the Samistan? They should get most of the north scandinavia & finland.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

jammu posted:

Hah. Finnosphere is exluded from scandinavia.
Finland is clearly part of the Scandinavian sphere, otherwise it would not be included in the Nordic countries. It's obviously not Scandinavian per se, but nobody's perfect.

jammu posted:

Also, where is the Samistan? They should get most of the north scandinavia & finland.
I don't think the Sami are a majority anywhere, nor do they even come close to the 10 million mark. Might as well call the Brandenburg region Sorbia.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm also fairly sure that neither Ireland nor Scotland have ten million inhabitants. On the other hand, it's good to see Greater Flanders! They gave us Brussels, too? Sure, why not.

Edit: just noticed how they made sure to exclude Chechnya and Dagestan from 'United Europe'. Not sure if Russia is going to be cool with that, guys.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 2, 2013

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

I'm also fairly sure that neither Ireland nor Scotland have ten million inhabitants. On the other hand, it's good to see Greater Flanders! They gave us Brussels, too? Sure, why not.

Edit: just noticed how they made sure to exclude Chechnya and Dagestan from 'United Europe'. Not sure if Russia is going to be cool with that, guys.

Seems pretty Anglo-centric. Ireland and Scotland are their own countries, but Denmark and Norway are obviously too small to exist independently.

Also enjoying the fact that Baden gets Alsace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Mu Cow posted:

Seems pretty Anglo-centric. Ireland and Scotland are their own countries, but Denmark and Norway are obviously too small to exist independently.

Also enjoying the fact that Baden gets Alsace.

It seems like map isn't supposed to be about hypothetical political borders so much as national borders, and without political borders there really isn't that great a case for calling the North Germanic Scandinavians members of different nations.