Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Minarchist posted:

I hope they're making sure all those kitties are healthy, disease free, and clean. Thats...insane :stare:

Good on em for helping but man, how sanitary can they keep that place?

They spend 90% of their time with the cats. Cleaning, swapping litter trays, giving shots, swabbing eyes, giving medication etc. The video was taken not long after they moved in so there was still a lot of boxes and furniture to be moved around and resetting up of cages, no access areas etc.

They have a separate quarantine area and everything and at the moment are undergoing construction for an airtight area for even better separation. They have hand stations for sanitation etc.

They have the assistance of local vets as well which helps to keep the costs for medication, chipping, vaccing and desexing down. Every cat that comes in receives its shots and is chipped and desexed before being allowed back out.

Ill be volunteering my time there soon just to give them a bit of downtime.

*edit*

To be honest its actually pretty sad, when I say pretty much their entire life is dedicated to those cats I mean it. I try to get them around to my place now once a week for a feed, a drink and a break. I also help out where I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I'm about to give up on the Cone of Shame. He keeps getting it off, but every time he does he just tucks his bandaged tail between his legs and lounges around, being fat.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Minarchist posted:

I hope they're making sure all those kitties are healthy, disease free, and clean. Thats...insane :stare:

Good on em for helping but man, how sanitary can they keep that place?

I've seen shelters like that with a similar amount of cats that free roam, and there's a reason they always smell like cleaning supplies. If this is anything like the places I've visited/volunteered, 75% of their day is cleaning.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Hooray, the sick cat has his appetite back! :woop: Now if only his porker brother would stop trying to steal the food.

Trusting cats are kind of hilarious to give medicine to. So far I've given him two doses of eyedropper-style antibiotics, and he never sees it coming. He just gives me this ACKSPPTTTHHHBBBTTTT as it happens, glares at me, and then ten minutes later he's totally forgotten. :downs:

I highly, highly recommend that everyone get their cats used to touching their mouths. That, or just make sure you adopt idiot cats that love you no matter what. Both options are good.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I was curious about some more advice for my stupid cat, Ollie.

I've been speaking with his veterinarian about his behavioral issues and some of it has been very helpful. We've basically come to the conclusion that not only is he a high energy cat, but his attacks are more territorial than aggressive or playful. For a while he would stalk us and then pounce and anything we did would just escalate his attack. Even things like while we were sleeping or not even interacting with him he would come up and attack us. If we tried to play with him he'd just look at us like we were nuts and completely bypass the toy and go for our hands. She said it sounded like he was just trying to be a big bully and boss us around and that he's an "overly-confident cat", which sounds like him to a T. She said that bringing in another cat could either be awesome or horrible - if he really is bossy and territorial, he'll either start pissing all over the house or they'll work it out and be friends. She did give us some suggestions on how to stop the stalking, and after about a week of that he no longer stalks us throughout the house to boss us around.

A new problem has arisen, though. Ollie loves our bathroom. It has a window and a thick ledge that he loves to sit on and look out of - we're on the second floor and that window is practically in a tree. Ever since the spring started he's becoming more and more obsessed with the bathroom to the point that he sits at the window for hours and never leaves. Typically he likes to spend time with us and even sleeps with us, but lately he just sits at that window for hours. I figure that there must be a birds nest or a family of squirrels that hangs out around there and it's pretty noisy during the day.

Our problem is that he's begun attacking us every time we go into the bathroom. If we're on the toilet, brushing our teeth, getting ready to shower, he without a doubt starts mauling our feet. When we enter, he sits there for a bit and gives us a death stare and then pounces. Anything we do only escalates his anger - I tried throwing a towel on him like the vet suggested, I tried ignoring him (that's really hard), and I've tried diverting his attention but he just gets angrier and angrier. It doesn't even end once we leave the bathroom - once he starts in the bathroom, he follows us out (probably because we're dragging him out of the bathroom attached to our feet). We've started locking him out when we're in there but I'm apprehensive that it wont actually solve the problem. We can't hang a curtain as he likes to chew on miniblinds and curtains when he wants the window open. Our bathroom door doesn't exactly close very well - it can be pushed open from the outside without actually using the door knob, but it can be locked from the inside.

The vet said that it sounds like he's watching these birds all day and isn't getting his aggression/"prey drive" out enough and that we should play with him more. We play with him a lot already, but we're looking into more toys that he might like (he hates things he has to move around himself). She also said that when we go into the bathroom and he's there, we just have to pick him up and move him before he can even pounce and lock him out while we're in there.

I guess my concerns are that this wont actually solve any problems, just delay them all or he'll move onto something else to gently caress up that he's not supposed to have. He's started chewing on more poo poo now and I don't know what he even wants. He does act like he owns the place and everything we've tried that our vet has suggested works for a bit and then he moves on.

I was wondering if anyone had any second opinions, perhaps? It got better for a bit but then this new thing popped up :(

tl;dr: my cat is attacking me when I try to poop and I want him to stop.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Shnooks posted:

I was curious about some more advice for my stupid cat, Ollie.

I've been speaking with his veterinarian about his behavioral issues and some of it has been very helpful. We've basically come to the conclusion that not only is he a high energy cat, but his attacks are more territorial than aggressive or playful. For a while he would stalk us and then pounce and anything we did would just escalate his attack. Even things like while we were sleeping or not even interacting with him he would come up and attack us. If we tried to play with him he'd just look at us like we were nuts and completely bypass the toy and go for our hands. She said it sounded like he was just trying to be a big bully and boss us around and that he's an "overly-confident cat", which sounds like him to a T. She said that bringing in another cat could either be awesome or horrible - if he really is bossy and territorial, he'll either start pissing all over the house or they'll work it out and be friends. She did give us some suggestions on how to stop the stalking, and after about a week of that he no longer stalks us throughout the house to boss us around.

A new problem has arisen, though. Ollie loves our bathroom. It has a window and a thick ledge that he loves to sit on and look out of - we're on the second floor and that window is practically in a tree. Ever since the spring started he's becoming more and more obsessed with the bathroom to the point that he sits at the window for hours and never leaves. Typically he likes to spend time with us and even sleeps with us, but lately he just sits at that window for hours. I figure that there must be a birds nest or a family of squirrels that hangs out around there and it's pretty noisy during the day.

Our problem is that he's begun attacking us every time we go into the bathroom. If we're on the toilet, brushing our teeth, getting ready to shower, he without a doubt starts mauling our feet. When we enter, he sits there for a bit and gives us a death stare and then pounces. Anything we do only escalates his anger - I tried throwing a towel on him like the vet suggested, I tried ignoring him (that's really hard), and I've tried diverting his attention but he just gets angrier and angrier. It doesn't even end once we leave the bathroom - once he starts in the bathroom, he follows us out (probably because we're dragging him out of the bathroom attached to our feet). We've started locking him out when we're in there but I'm apprehensive that it wont actually solve the problem. We can't hang a curtain as he likes to chew on miniblinds and curtains when he wants the window open. Our bathroom door doesn't exactly close very well - it can be pushed open from the outside without actually using the door knob, but it can be locked from the inside.

The vet said that it sounds like he's watching these birds all day and isn't getting his aggression/"prey drive" out enough and that we should play with him more. We play with him a lot already, but we're looking into more toys that he might like (he hates things he has to move around himself). She also said that when we go into the bathroom and he's there, we just have to pick him up and move him before he can even pounce and lock him out while we're in there.

I guess my concerns are that this wont actually solve any problems, just delay them all or he'll move onto something else to gently caress up that he's not supposed to have. He's started chewing on more poo poo now and I don't know what he even wants. He does act like he owns the place and everything we've tried that our vet has suggested works for a bit and then he moves on.

I was wondering if anyone had any second opinions, perhaps? It got better for a bit but then this new thing popped up :(

Is there an easy way to block off, not the ledge, but the view from the window? A heavy blind or curtain he can't move easily, that you can activate with a string rather than attempting to reach past him?

You act like a dick, the view is cut off. You are reasonably pleasant, you get to keep looking.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Dienes posted:

Is there an easy way to block off, not the ledge, but the view from the window? A heavy blind or curtain he can't move easily, that you can activate with a string rather than attempting to reach past him?

You act like a dick, the view is cut off. You are reasonably pleasant, you get to keep looking.

It's an old house so it's a weird ledge. It's at least a foot or more in depth. We have a shower curtain in front of it so we don't get water all over the sill, but I always open it after I shower to air the place out. I honestly can't remember if he's learned to bypass the curtain or not, but I honestly never thought about doing that :doh:.

He also absolutely loves our bathmat and will fight to the death to protect it, but I've started rolling that up.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I live in the woods and our cat's an indoor/outdoor sort of feline. Recently I've suffered from a few outbreaks of poison ivy-- as I type this, I can see a rash developing on my right hand-- and although I've done some outdoor work recently, I've stayed well away from the poison ivy patches at the edge of our property.

My suspicion is that the cat's gone through those patches at some point, gotten the poison ivy oils on her fur, and then passed that on when next we met. Right now I've got receding rashes on my shins and calves at about cat-rubbing height, and my right hand is rather swollen and irritated at the moment and becoming moreso as time passes.

Is it possible that the cat's been passing on poison ivy, and if so how do I stop it? Making her a strictly-indoor cat is an option, but that would drive her nuts, and baths are a tricky proposition as well.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Shnooks posted:

I may have missed this in your post, but have you tried keeping him out of the bathroom? If the ledge is such a highly prized place that he feels the need to protect it from you, I'd keep the door to that bathroom closed all the time and prevent him from going in there at all. Our dog tends to be a little bit of a resource guarder, so when we find that a new toy is really valuable to the point of her growling at us or the cat if we come near in a way that's not just playful, we distract her, take the toy away when she's not looking, and she never gets it again. This might be a bigger problem than just one bathroom and cat might end up finding a new spot to be territorial about, but I think a good first step would be to ban him from the bathroom permanently, and see where it goes from there.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Serella posted:

I may have missed this in your post, but have you tried keeping him out of the bathroom? If the ledge is such a highly prized place that he feels the need to protect it from you, I'd keep the door to that bathroom closed all the time and prevent him from going in there at all. Our dog tends to be a little bit of a resource guarder, so when we find that a new toy is really valuable to the point of her growling at us or the cat if we come near in a way that's not just playful, we distract her, take the toy away when she's not looking, and she never gets it again. This might be a bigger problem than just one bathroom and cat might end up finding a new spot to be territorial about, but I think a good first step would be to ban him from the bathroom permanently, and see where it goes from there.

I did mention it:

quote:

Our bathroom door doesn't exactly close very well - it can be pushed open from the outside without actually using the door knob, but it can be locked from the inside.

He can push the door open himself, which he usually does. I shut it at night but he opens it when I sleep. I know it's not legal to have a bathroom door that doesn't really close, but my boyfriend and I live together and never have company so it's just not a problem for us.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Shnooks posted:

I did mention it:

He can push the door open himself, which he usually does. I shut it at night but he opens it when I sleep. I know it's not legal to have a bathroom door that doesn't really close, but my boyfriend and I live together and never have company so it's just not a problem for us.

Ah, of course I see that now. Honestly, I'd be working on ways to keep him from getting the door open, like Macgyvering some childproof locks meant for cabinets. If my cat was getting territorial over any place in the house, he'd be promptly banned from it. It's not the only way to go about this, just my thoughts. :shobon:

Also, I feel your pain on bathrooms that are not entirely private. The layout of the master bedroom in my house is such that the wall between the bedroom and the master bath is more of a partition, where the wall does not go all the way up to the ceiling and there is no door at all. My boyfriend and I have developed some rule regarding bathroom use...or rather, I have developed rules that we both have to follow.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Fortunately, how our house is laid out our bathroom is pretty private without a fully-functioning door. Anyways...

I pulled the shower curtain over the window last night and it doesn't seem like he can get by it. In fact, he actually slept with us last night, which hasn't happened since this all started! I can't believe I didn't think of something so simple. Though to be honest it can be difficult when you just want your cat to just stop gnawing at your feet.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
So you may remember before I asked if I should bring my friend's cat to my house since I have to pet sit her and it's inconvenient to drive back and forth every day. They ended up staying out of town for an additional week and Cali the kitty seemed so lonely in that empty apartment for ours on end. So I brought her home.

She's been here about 3 hours now and is happily laying on my legs on the couch. My kitties are off on their own somewhere else in the apartment chilling. There was a lot of growling and Cali is being very vocal. There was a little hissing on both sides but no swatting or physical lashing out. My cats are very curious about Cali but she's happy to be left alone.

Hopefully they will warm up to each other. I'm happy that there's only been growling. If they don't warm up soon I may go out and buy some Feliway. I also took a post that my cats never use and set it up with one of Cali's blankets from home on it and put it in the corner of the main room so she would have a safe place to perch. I was happily surprised when she came and got on my lap. She's coming out of her shell slowly.

Any suggestions besides Feliway I can use to get the cats to be a little more tolerating or each other instead of spreading out on other sides of the apartment?

EDIT: Almost forgot, here's a couple pictures of the little sweetie

Buggiezor fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 26, 2013

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
- Sex: male
- How long have you had your cat?: a week
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Not yet
- What food do you use? Raw fish and dry cat food.
- When was your last vet visit? Last week. Going again in a few weeks to get him neutered.
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors.
- How many pets in your household? Only him.
- How many litter boxes do you have? One.

Hello guys. I recently adopted a kitten from a shelter. He's quite friendly and cute. Our only problem is that we cannot get him to use a litter box. I know this is the most common complaint about new kittens, but i wanted to see if I could get some advice about this. I don't live in the united states so getting special litter is not possible. Right now we are using sand as a substrate. I have placed some of his poops into the litter box to show him this is where they go, but he doesn't get it. We were thinking about getting an older cat to show him all the ropes about being a clean normal cat, but that would be a sort of last-resort course of action. So far he's only used his box once. He doesn't even pee or poop in a consistent location. He seems to poop mostly on our clothes, handbags, or other things we accidentally leave on the floor. He's an amazing cat in all other aspects though. He is cute, loves to cuddle and play.

We are going to see if changing his litter helps. My girlfriend thinks that cats prefer a thin layer of litter, but I think a thick one is better. Besides changing his litter to another brand, what else could we do in order to litter train him?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Shnooks posted:

Fortunately, how our house is laid out our bathroom is pretty private without a fully-functioning door. Anyways...

I pulled the shower curtain over the window last night and it doesn't seem like he can get by it. In fact, he actually slept with us last night, which hasn't happened since this all started! I can't believe I didn't think of something so simple. Though to be honest it can be difficult when you just want your cat to just stop gnawing at your feet.

You should still fix the door. When we bought our house one of our dumbass cats was pushing the door open and stealing contact cases and sonicare toothbrush heads and poo poo. I don't know what the problem with your door is, but our strike plate was just in the wrong place. I fixed it with a dremel and a drill. The cat will probably figure out how to get around the shower curtain eventually.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I really need some sort of idea on how to keep my cat on the patio. I bought some vinyl lattice which helped for a bit, but she figured out how to climb them and has been close to escaping. It's just a small patio with a metal barrier. I'm thinking if I install some sort of overhang on the top of the gate, she won't be able to climb over it. Anyone ever been in a situation like that have any input?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

TLG James posted:

I really need some sort of idea on how to keep my cat on the patio. I bought some vinyl lattice which helped for a bit, but she figured out how to climb them and has been close to escaping. It's just a small patio with a metal barrier. I'm thinking if I install some sort of overhang on the top of the gate, she won't be able to climb over it. Anyone ever been in a situation like that have any input?

Rope, a metal clip like on the end of a leash (both easily available at a hardware store) and one of those kitty harnesses.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Just want to pop in and say I've found an amazing cat toy both Ozma and Pizza really enjoy: plastic easter egg.

They've spent all week batting this thing around playing soccer. Its smooth so they can't get enough of a grip on it to nail it down, so the chase is endless, its lightweight so even a small kick sends it flying which they love, and the shape gives it an unpredictable wobble which keeps them entertained.

They sometimes get it open so I occasionally I will stick a treat in there but even the empty egg has them captivated. Who knew.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
So I was doing respite care this weekend for the father of some friends of mine. In between bonding over basketball and terrible reality shows, I also took care of their pets. A very cute toy poodle who is a total love and really nice and friendly and a pair of boy cats. One of the cats is a male tortoiseshell/calico.

Yep, that is a boy. And a big one too. He's about twice the size as my girl and she is not tiny. I think he might weigh close to fifteen pounds. Calico cats (and tortoiseshells) must have two X chromosomes, as a result the vast majority of calico cats are female. Male calico cats are XXY and generally infertile but it's still a good idea to fix them to prevent spraying and fighting.

Here's his brother hiding under the bed. Unfortunately I totally forgot their names. Oh well.

It was really hard to take pictures of them. Mr. Fluffy there wanted constant attention and would not hold still and Mr. Tabby decided to hide even though he's met me before and was totally cool that time.

I forgot to take pictures of the dog. She was adorable.

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!

Huntersoninski posted:

Just want to pop in and say I've found an amazing cat toy both Ozma and Pizza really enjoy: plastic easter egg.

They've spent all week batting this thing around playing soccer. Its smooth so they can't get enough of a grip on it to nail it down, so the chase is endless, its lightweight so even a small kick sends it flying which they love, and the shape gives it an unpredictable wobble which keeps them entertained.

They sometimes get it open so I occasionally I will stick a treat in there but even the empty egg has them captivated. Who knew.

I second this, Arthur has been going insane for the small plastic egg he found from our Greek Easter party a few weeks back. Definitely going to try putting a treat inside, goof shout. May I also say that as for cheap toys, a pipe cleaner, more specifically a pipe cleaner on the end of a ribbon sends Arthur mental too, but not half as insane as he goes for a small hairband.

Cheap toys are the way forward :)

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

I need some advice for attempting to train the meow out of my cat. He likes to start meowing for food about 2 hours before his usual feeding time. For the afternoon feed (around 4.30pm) this is usually just when we get home from work, so it's not a problem. If he meows to the empty house then he's more derp than I thought... If we are in, we just ignore him and feed him at the usual time anyway. Annoying but bearable, although it doesn't seem to have stopped him trying.

However, we also feed before we leave for work, usually around 7-7.15am. The last few days he's taken to starting to meow at around 5am!! Not good kitty, not good. The last two nights I've got out of bed, walked down to the kitchen/diner, and then shut him in when he inevitably follows me. I feel bad but I need my sleep and there's no way I'm feeding him at 5am.

Apart from ignoring him and hoping he learns we'll never feed him before 7, or possibly getting a timed feeder, is there any other way to get him to stop meowing so much? We've had him for about a year and he STILL meows for his afternoon feed early so I'm doubting his learning ability. We are trying to be proactive with him and play with him etc. before he starts meowing for attention.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Robot Mil posted:

Apart from ignoring him and hoping he learns we'll never feed him before 7, or possibly getting a timed feeder, is there any other way to get him to stop meowing so much? We've had him for about a year and he STILL meows for his afternoon feed early so I'm doubting his learning ability. We are trying to be proactive with him and play with him etc. before he starts meowing for attention.

Timed feeder is your best bet. Otherwise, stop feeding him right when you get up and make sure you get dressed and shower etc before you feed him. That way maybe he'll associate your getting up less closely with food and tie it to a shower instead. That being said, get a timed feeder instead and/or shut him out of your room at night.

platedlizard posted:

So I was doing respite care this weekend for the father of some friends of mine. In between bonding over basketball and terrible reality shows, I also took care of their pets. A very cute toy poodle who is a total love and really nice and friendly and a pair of boy cats. One of the cats is a male tortoiseshell/calico.

He doesn't look calico to me. Was there orange somewhere we can't see?

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Timed feeder is your best bet. Otherwise, stop feeding him right when you get up and make sure you get dressed and shower etc before you feed him. That way maybe he'll associate your getting up less closely with food and tie it to a shower instead. That being said, get a timed feeder instead and/or shut him out of your room at night.

We shut both our kitties out of our bedroom at night, but he has a LOUD meow and scratches at the door if he can't get in to meow in our faces. Same difference really, it still wakes us up! We do try and leave feeding for as long as possible before we get out of the house, but we're both quick in the morning so it's a max of 30 minutes usually. He doesn't wait until we get up or go downstairs to start hassling us, it's while we're still sleeping!

A timed feeder does sound like a good idea for the mornings at least, the only issue with it is that loud kitty is on a diet, whereas our other cat isn't. There'd be no way of making sure that he ate the lighter food in the mornings and didn't try and gobble up the other stuff. Then again I suppose we could feed him regular food in the morning and light food at night.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Robot Mil posted:

We shut both our kitties out of our bedroom at night, but he has a LOUD meow and scratches at the door if he can't get in to meow in our faces. Same difference really, it still wakes us up! We do try and leave feeding for as long as possible before we get out of the house, but we're both quick in the morning so it's a max of 30 minutes usually. He doesn't wait until we get up or go downstairs to start hassling us, it's while we're still sleeping!

A timed feeder does sound like a good idea for the mornings at least, the only issue with it is that loud kitty is on a diet, whereas our other cat isn't. There'd be no way of making sure that he ate the lighter food in the mornings and didn't try and gobble up the other stuff. Then again I suppose we could feed him regular food in the morning and light food at night.

The thing that stopped Toby from bothering us by yelling and scratching at night was putting a Scat Mat under our bedroom door. He can't stand there to scratch at it anymore and he doesn't meow in the morning anymore unless he can hear us moving around a lot and we're clearly up and haven't come out to feed him yet :catstare: For the dieting issue, maybe try separating them at night, or else do something like one of these solutions. Then post pictures.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Ahahaha genius, I can just imagine Fatty McFluffpants* trying desperately to get his head into a tiny opening to get at food... he is not only a bit podgy but overall much larger than our other cat so that could work!

*not his real name

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Because I can't get enough of this thread, I think my stupid cat has tapeworms now.

I saw some tapeworm-y things hanging out around his butt. I'm not even sure he got them. He has no fleas and hasn't eaten anything strange as far as I know. We do take him outside on a leash occasionally but I just started giving him Revolution.

I saw this these hanging out around his butt and then on the bed after he lied down, so I scooped them up in a baggie and will probably bring them to the vet tomorrow, but I wanted someone else's opinion while I'm sitting at home on my day off :geno:

http://i.imgur.com/WDD2RUvl.jpg

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 27, 2013

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Eggplant Wizard posted:

He doesn't look calico to me. Was there orange somewhere we can't see?

Yeah, the orange is mixed with the brown so he's really more of a tortoiseshell. It's a crappy iPhone picture though. It's way more obvious in person.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

- Sex: male
- How long have you had your cat?: a week
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Not yet
- What food do you use? Raw fish and dry cat food.
- When was your last vet visit? Last week. Going again in a few weeks to get him neutered.
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors.
- How many pets in your household? Only him.
- How many litter boxes do you have? One.

Hello guys. I recently adopted a kitten from a shelter. He's quite friendly and cute. Our only problem is that we cannot get him to use a litter box. I know this is the most common complaint about new kittens, but i wanted to see if I could get some advice about this. I don't live in the united states so getting special litter is not possible. Right now we are using sand as a substrate. I have placed some of his poops into the litter box to show him this is where they go, but he doesn't get it. We were thinking about getting an older cat to show him all the ropes about being a clean normal cat, but that would be a sort of last-resort course of action. So far he's only used his box once. He doesn't even pee or poop in a consistent location. He seems to poop mostly on our clothes, handbags, or other things we accidentally leave on the floor. He's an amazing cat in all other aspects though. He is cute, loves to cuddle and play.

We are going to see if changing his litter helps. My girlfriend thinks that cats prefer a thin layer of litter, but I think a thick one is better. Besides changing his litter to another brand, what else could we do in order to litter train him?

Bumping my question.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Bumping my question.

That's actually a smidge unusual with cats. Have you started your wellness visits with your veterinarian yet? Your veterinarian would probably be a good resource on the kinds of litter available in your area and some things to try.

What kind of litter boxes are you using ie covered/uncovered? Where is his box? Are you confining the cat to the room with the box? Is it just poop or is he peeing outside of the box as well? He might just not like the sand - can you get some other things to try? Even if you can't get litter, you might be able to find the granules for absorbing minor oil spills on the ground (that's basically unscented litter). I'd also give some soil a try and maybe some shredded paper in another one or some pine wood shavings. Some cats like thin layers, some like thick, some like immaculate boxes and refuse to crap in anything that already contains poop....they're all different and unfortunately, you're going to have to experiment a bit to find something that works for your cat.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Enelrahc posted:

That's actually a smidge unusual with cats. Have you started your wellness visits with your veterinarian yet? Your veterinarian would probably be a good resource on the kinds of litter available in your area and some things to try.

What kind of litter boxes are you using ie covered/uncovered? Where is his box? Are you confining the cat to the room with the box? Is it just poop or is he peeing outside of the box as well? He might just not like the sand - can you get some other things to try? Even if you can't get litter, you might be able to find the granules for absorbing minor oil spills on the ground (that's basically unscented litter). I'd also give some soil a try and maybe some shredded paper in another one or some pine wood shavings. Some cats like thin layers, some like thick, some like immaculate boxes and refuse to crap in anything that already contains poop....they're all different and unfortunately, you're going to have to experiment a bit to find something that works for your cat.

Thank you for replying! we have an uncovered plastic tray type of litter box. Right now his box is usually in the laundry room area, but at times we confine him to one room with the litter box. We saw other types of litter in the big super-market, but at $17 per bag, it's a bit pricey. Today we got him to poop in the litter box, but we want to make sure he continuously does it. I hope he doesn't immediately forget how good he did today.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Today we got him to poop in the litter box, but we want to make sure he continuously does it. I hope he doesn't immediately forget how good he did today.

Don't forget ridiculous amounts of attention and praise when he's been good.

Remember, if you don't feel like an idiot, you aren't praising hard enough. :catstare:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Thank you for replying! we have an uncovered plastic tray type of litter box. Right now his box is usually in the laundry room area, but at times we confine him to one room with the litter box. We saw other types of litter in the big super-market, but at $17 per bag, it's a bit pricey. Today we got him to poop in the litter box, but we want to make sure he continuously does it. I hope he doesn't immediately forget how good he did today.

Cat Attract makes a litter additive that may help with your problem, and you should be able to get it online if not locally. You just add it to whatever litter your cat is currently using (or not using, such as it is), and it helps encourage them to use the box. People around here have said it works quite well. Cat Attract makes both a litter and an additive, so it's the additive I'm referring to here, which may be more cost effective for you.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Whoops.

BothSides
Jul 14, 2010

Shnooks posted:

Because I can't get enough of this thread, I think my stupid cat has tapeworms now.

I saw some tapeworm-y things hanging out around his butt. I'm not even sure he got them. He has no fleas and hasn't eaten anything strange as far as I know. We do take him outside on a leash occasionally but I just started giving him Revolution.

I saw this these hanging out around his butt and then on the bed after he lied down, so I scooped them up in a baggie and will probably bring them to the vet tomorrow, but I wanted someone else's opinion while I'm sitting at home on my day off :geno:

http://i.imgur.com/WDD2RUvl.jpg

Looks like tapeworm-y things to me. Same thing happened to me earlier this year. Don't know how she got them, just noticed them on her butt and bed one day.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

BothSides posted:

Looks like tapeworm-y things to me. Same thing happened to me earlier this year. Don't know how she got them, just noticed them on her butt and bed one day.

Yep! Kitty has tenants in his GI tract. They aren't TOO harmful, but they're gross and contagious so get him some deworming meds ASAP.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Minarchist posted:

Yep! Kitty has tenants in his GI tract. They aren't TOO harmful, but they're gross and contagious so get him some deworming meds ASAP.

The proglottids are not contagious to people or other pets (unless you have a flea circus...). They require fleas as an intermediate host. They're just kinda ewwwww and mean that the cat has eaten a flea.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Roommate's cat (in/outdoor, ~7yo short-hair alley cat) has a bunch of fleas living around her neck. What's our best course of action? My thought is start with a bath with anti-flea shampoo and then a very thorough cleaning of the house, but what am I missing?

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 28, 2013

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

slomomofo posted:

Roommate's cat (in/outdoor, ~7yo short-hair alley cat) has a bunch of fleas living around her neck. What's our best course of action? My thought is start with a bath with anti-flea shampoo and then a very thorough cleaning of the house, but what am I missing?

Flea medication like Advantage or Frontline etc. I tried the flea bath/cleaning cycle with my cat when I first got her and the fleas just kept coming back until I got some flea meds. She was indoor-only at the time, so she wasn't getting them from outside (they came with her when she followed me home)

When you vacuum toss a flea collar into the bag, it'll kill the fleas in there, otherwise they'll escape and reinfest your house. Also, stay away from Hart, their products are crap at best and potentially harmful at worst.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Enelrahc posted:

The proglottids are not contagious to people or other pets (unless you have a flea circus...). They require fleas as an intermediate host. They're just kinda ewwwww and mean that the cat has eaten a flea.

It's more disgusting to me than anything D: Of course now that we don't want him rubbing his worm-butt all over our poo poo he's all over us wanting attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

platedlizard posted:

Flea medication like Advantage or Frontline etc. I tried the flea bath/cleaning cycle with my cat when I first got her and the fleas just kept coming back until I got some flea meds. She was indoor-only at the time, so she wasn't getting them from outside (they came with her when she followed me home)

When you vacuum toss a flea collar into the bag, it'll kill the fleas in there, otherwise they'll escape and reinfest your house. Also, stay away from Hart, their products are crap at best and potentially harmful at worst.

Flea collars are hit-and-miss. It'd probably be better to empty the bag and take outside as soon as you are done vacuuming.