Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

Fenarisk posted:

A warlock, in 4e at least, uses powers, boons, and curses tied to the Pact, which influences the playstyle a lot. A fey pact warlock plays completely differently from an infernal pact warlock (one does a lot of teleporting, debuffing, and being sly at range while the other does a lot of straight up damage, boosts defenses, and sucks up health from enemies). I think I may just make an infernal pact and fey pact playbook, otherwise it would be cramming two different archetypes into the same playbook and forcing a 3 page playbook (that doesn't make sense if the warlock looks to start double dipping anyways).
If I was going to make a warlock class - based off what 4e provides, at least - I would also dabble a bit into things like the Pathfinder's Witch for ideas if you want to have curses and the like. Maybe a little bit of good old-fashioned voodoo and such as well, but I... think there might already be something like that? I'd have to go back and look over the other extra classes people have made, there's a bunch, after all.

For the pact thing, though, I'd probably run something where the base ability for the class is is you pick SOMETHING powerful that you made a pact with. You could make it a list of sample things (like the Infernal, Fey, Nightmare, whatever) and have those have their own specific things, kind of like Gimp suggested.

The alternative is to leave it vague and have the player describe what their power pact is with. And then you could have a list of things that can be used to describe the thing and/or its goals. Then, you can have a +pact system where you get pact through doing things that further your pact-buddy's agenda (which would promote roleplaying, always a plus) in return for benefits. In this way, you could do "fey" by having a pact buddy who's a trickster faerie that likes playing pranks, so you garner +pact through being tricksy and that sort of thing. Meanwhile, you can still have the "Infernal" approach by having a demon thing whose goal is to get souls or whatever and you get +pact for that. Or, you can have a pact with the Party God from Adventure Time and gain +pact whenever you throw a really bitchin' party. Whatever, really.

And then you just go from there. Just some ideas, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

A warlock, in 4e at least, uses powers, boons, and curses tied to the Pact, which influences the playstyle a lot.

That's not matters in DW, though - what matters is the fiction. What does the Warlock do, fictionally?

Straight porting of 4E classes to DW doesn't work, because 4E isn't a game that particularly cares about the fiction (and that's not a point against 4E). You can take some inspiration from 4E powers (because they're all neat little packages of mechanics) for you moves, but a 4E class as-played is a collection of disjointed mechanical units with no real common theme beyond "is a Warlock move" or "is a Warlord move," and that isn't enough thematic consistency for a DW class.

The question isn't what can the Warlock do mechanically, it's what can the Warlock do in the fiction? If you don't have a fixed answer that consists of 2-3 elements that can be made into both combat and non-combat moves in roughly equal measures, you don't have a good candidate for a DW class.

e; unrelated pet peeve time: people, please stop writing moves that give Leverage where it isn't 100% crystal clear how that move is providing the opposite party in a negotiation with something they want. That's what Leverage is: having something the other side wants.

It's not an abstract that you can just tack on in any move; the reason Interrogator gives you Leverage is because you're refocusing their desires away from whatever they are and to "I don't want the Fighter to break every bone in my body."

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 27, 2013

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.
I've recently come across a playbook called The Mage 2.0 There are some differences, from the DTRPG version, with the Black Magic, Battle Mage and Warmage moves.

Is that Gnome7's or did someone else do that?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Ich posted:

I've recently come across a playbook called The Mage 2.0 There are some differences, from the DTRPG version, with the Black Magic, Battle Mage and Warmage moves.

Is that Gnome7's or did someone else do that?

Can't know for sure without seeing it, but I'm fairly certain it's just one of the versions from when gnome7 was rewriting the Mage and didn't want to risk changing the main Mage file yet.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

GimpInBlack posted:

Consider that houserule official. :)

Does anybody want to change the playbook so we can get that in the OP? I can do it if nobody else wants to but I don't have the original playbook files. If you want me to do it, Gimp, I can.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
The Player Agenda

This is mostly intended as a primer for people who are brand new to Dungeon World or not yet fully comfortable with its methods. Consider it as a series of guidelines to help influence the game:
  • Have fun
  • Become familiar with your character's moves
  • Do something dangerous
  • Act, don't react
  • If you ask a question, be ready to answer one
  • Look for interesting facts about the world

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

aldantefax posted:

Act, don't react
The rest look great and I understand what you're trying to get at, but doesn't this one kind of contradict the whole "What do you do?" thing that DMs are supposed to be doing?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That player agenda is great.

ImpactVector posted:

The rest look great and I understand what you're trying to get at, but doesn't this one kind of contradict the whole "What do you do?" thing that DMs are supposed to be doing?

No, it doesn't.

"What do you do?" is there for the GM to prompt players for input. It goes hand in hand with the players providing their own input. For that to work, the players have to go out there and act on the world, not just sit there and patiently wait for the DM to tell them what happens.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 27, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Overemotional Robot posted:

Does anybody want to change the playbook so we can get that in the OP? I can do it if nobody else wants to but I don't have the original playbook files. If you want me to do it, Gimp, I can.

Considering I made the Gladiator playbook in the first place, I should probably do it, since it's literally just changing a single line.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Does that really make sense though?

Androc fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 10, 2017

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That player agenda is great.

No, it doesn't.

"What do you do?" is there for the GM to prompt players for input. It goes hand in hand with the players providing their own input. For that to work, the players have to go out there and act on the world, not just sit there and patiently wait for the DM to tell them what happens.

Yes, this. Players who are transitioning to DW from other systems seem to have this tendency of looking to the DM all the time to give them hints as to where to go, where the story is mapped out, that kind of thing. I guess they're worried about derailing but the beauty of DW is that there's nothing to derail. "Act, don't react" is great.

I was playing in a Dragon Age RPG campaign a while ago, and the plot was something about a noble with a dark secret who had the king's ear, and the point of the story was to uncover her troubled backstory and make peace between some warring factions. Me and a couple of the other players decided that this was stupid and we'd much rather stab her in the back and try to claim the throne for ourselves. But the DM pretty much outright said "that's never going to happen, the system's not made for that, it's not where the story goes, you'll all just die".

In DW, what would happen instead is that we would try to do it and it would be glorious. It might be more a case of DM railroading rather than system rigidity but whatever it is, I'm not going back to it again.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Boing posted:

In DW, what would happen instead is that we would try to do it and it would be glorious. It might be more a case of DM railroading rather than system rigidity but whatever it is, I'm not going back to it again.

I think it's mainly a case of DM railroading, but it's also a case of very few game systems addressing the idea of running the game being an active process of reacting to player input and player agency. The thing is, while pretty much any system can be played as a wide-open sandbox where the GM reacts to player input and what they actually want to do, very few systems actually spell that sort of playstyle out as a thing. If you run DW by the book and keep your agendas in mind all the time, railroading won't be a thing, because you'll be constantly presenting new cool things to the players and reacting to whatever the hell the players decide to do with it.

The point is that railroading can happen in any system, but very few games actively address the fact that railroading is bad, and DW actually outright says that if you railroad your players you're breaking the rules.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Boing posted:

I guess they're worried about derailing but the beauty of DW is that there's nothing to derail.

There's not much sense in being euphemistic here: it's an artefact of playing D&D and other systems where the GM straight up writes the plot and has to approve things before you're allowed to have your character try them.

The more you work to break your players out of that mould, the better playing DW is going to go for everyone involved. The game does actually take some unlearning to get; this is half the point of having written agendas.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
To derail, today's Inverse World update is big. How big?

Giant Monster posted:

The Warden
Colossal, Solitary

Giant stone statues, impossibly huge. They lie dormant, unmoving, all by themselves. There are several Wardens, scattered all throughout Inverse World, but they are always alone, a solitary sentinel, floating through the sky. It has been centuries since one last moved. No one knows what triggers their awakening, but the legends tell of escape attempts gone awry, of careless destruction on a massive scale. The Wardens are inherently protectors, however, and are known to keep safe those who take refuge upon them, but once awakened, a Warden has no eyes for the smaller folk - only for their prisoner, Sola. Instinct: To Lock Away

Rumors:
* Ancient and forgotten, no one remembers what triggers the Warden’s awakening. Perhaps when Sola tries to escape? When someone tries to free him? When another god tries to enter Inverse World? All or none of the above?
* Eyes are holy, according to Sola, and the Wardens do have eyes painted upon them. Perhaps if they were all found and erased, the Warden would no longer function?
* The Wardens must be powered by someone from Outside, and if you can cut the connection between them, the Warden should no longer function.
* There’s no subtlety here - to stop a mile-high column of rock, you need to hit it with something on the appropriate scale. Drop an island on it, maybe 4 islands. Maybe lure a World-eater Worm over to it. Just because your weapons don’t cut it doesn’t mean no weapons will cut it.

The Warden (As a Location)

Moves:

* Slumber eternally
* Awaken the golems inside of it
* Present precarious platforming

Triggers:
* If it is damaged in any way, awaken all golems to destroy intruders
* If anyone on the Warden causes harm to another, awaken a golem or two to pacify all of them.
* If too many golems are destroyed, awaken from its slumber

The Warden (as an Antagonist)

Moves:
* Toss aside ships or islands
* Plow right through all obstacles and barriers in its way
* Punch out a god
* Awaken stone to follow and assist it

Triggers:
* When someone manages to damage it, awaken ancient golems to defend its weak points
* When it gets its hands on a god or godling, beat the crud out of them until they lose consciousness
* When its duties are fulfilled, return to its post and slumber
* When it has failed, send out a golem to awaken the next Warden

About a mile high, with a city built into its chest.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 27, 2013

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

gnome7 posted:

Considering I made the Gladiator playbook in the first place, I should probably do it, since it's literally just changing a single line.

Thanks, gnome.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm going to be DMing my first game (probably a 1/2-shot, but we'll see) tonight, does anyone have a list of good starter quesitons to ask the PCs during character creation, or any other time I guess? My last GM didn't do a lot during creation - probably because some of us made our characters beforehand since we were so excited to play - and did a lot of great "intermissions" during play like asking us to recap how our characters met as flashback montages, but I'd like to do some more initial questioning.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Countblanc posted:

I'm going to be DMing my first game (probably a 1/2-shot, but we'll see) tonight, does anyone have a list of good starter quesitons to ask the PCs during character creation, or any other time I guess? My last GM didn't do a lot during creation - probably because some of us made our characters beforehand since we were so excited to play - and did a lot of great "intermissions" during play like asking us to recap how our characters met as flashback montages, but I'd like to do some more initial questioning.

"Who do you most blame for your current predicament ?" Then put them in a predicament.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I'd also play off of what what they make. So, for example, if you've got a dwarven shaman who is speaking to the dead you might want some questions dealing with the dead. I usually ask all my players one question about how they got there, where they are, who they're there for, that sort of thing.

For example, the other night I went into GMing a session blind and with just asking the players questions (which I came up with on the spot) we determined that there was a civil war between two queens; sisters, and the team was sent in to investigate one queen's kingdom (they named all these people). The questions also determined that the mode of insertion was a carriage mounted to the top of a giant hawk, which of course was attacked by imps riding giant bats - all stuff they came up with.

ThermonuclearTom
Jul 23, 2006

OW
OW
OW
Tonights session was my favourite session ever.

So my PC's have been chasing a bad guy carrying an artifact through a frozen temple. The bad guy puts the artifact in a giant lock and it starts unlocking. My fighters idea to stop this is to smash the lock to pieces.

At this point I don't have any more notes. All I have in my planning notebook is "Giant spider god?". I just wanted to see what'd happen if I attempted to wing it and let the rolls and players determine the adventure. It didn't just work, it was way better than anything I would have had planned.

After unleashing the spider god the party decided, in a very typical of them way, to run away. The rest of the session was an awesome escape away from a partially corporeal 80ft spider through collapsing tunnels. Culminating in a struggle to get to the doorway past a 3 foot high stream of hypnotised spiders.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ThermonuclearTom posted:

Tonights session was my favourite session ever.

Yeah, that sounds pretty amazing. Running an escape from a giant spider god just off the cuff is one of the things Dungeon World excels at.

Pretty much every session of Dungeon World is my favorite session ever. Let me share.

So I'm taking advantage of drivethrurpg putting increasing numbers of PDFs of old D&D modules to get some adventure seeds. That got beautiful tonight.

The party had just finished taking out a couple of werewolves and driving off the pack of wolves they commanded, and were searching the ruined shrine they'd holed up in for loot. The werewolves had tried to pull the entire place down on them, and I was planning to use that in case they honked a roll somewhere, but failure wasn't in the cards. Then the bard asks "what should I be on the lookout for"?

You know what old D&D modules tend to excel at? Just dropping a bunch of dudes to fight down in a place without any real idea of how they'd come there in the first place. The werewolves had no backstory, so I decided to give them one.

I asked the dwarven paladin of a sky-guardian god what you would do to hide things from the god, and incorporated that answer into the revealing mechanism for a secret compartment in one of the shrine walls. Inside is a moon-shaped sickle held fast with gold ties, and bearing some old, dried blood. This is where the werewolves came from, though I don't say it explicitly - two orcs who walked into the shrine one day, found the sickle by sheer dumb luck, and cut themselves trying to get it free.

I ask if anybody wants to try to work it free, and the bard goes for it, rolling a partial success on the Defy Danger. Well, she's not instant-turned, but sleep is going to be interesting. Too late to be preventive, she spouts lore, gets a hit, and remembers a song about a hero who kept his lycanthropy at bay by sleeping ringed around with a ribbon embroidered with prayers to the sun. (She's multiclassed into Mage and taken Sun as her focus.)

The first night goes by, and she rolls a partial not to get turned. I describe a dream about wolves calling her to the mountains, but she can't move to answer them.

Before bedding down for the second night, she uses Sun magery to create her own solar ribbon, and decides the spell is going to have unintended side effects. So the next "don't get turned" roll is d6+d8 and I'm thinking something like the original Barbarian model here, where if the d8 comes up higher even on a success things get interesting.

drat if the d8 doesn't come up an 8.

So when the wolf comes for her in her dream, she lassoes it with the solar ribbon and rides it around for a bit. And now her human racial move is gone, replaced with some Planarch Codex-style heritage moves, and I'm wondering what else I can do with a solar werewolf.

Dungeon World owns.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 28, 2013

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I've only run a few sessions, but a really fun thing to do is to turn around table-chatter and incorporate it into the fiction. The setup for the last one-shot I did happened when, during character creation in a Skype game, the Gladiator took a sip of water from a cup that had been left out for a little while too long. He spits it out. So now, The river water in the world is poisoned, too. It turns people into a part of the terrifying mouthless (thanks, Fighter) aggrezively hegemonizing Orc swarm, and that's where the Gladiator fought his battles. But since they're mouthless, they just silently watch the gladiatorial spectacle.

Since the river water is corrupting and vile, the Orcs must have some filtration system in their city to keep their gladiators from turning into one them. I offer the fighter the choice between:

It's a system of aqueducts that surround a magical core which sucks up the corruption, like a coolant loop in a pressurized water nuclear reactor but the opposite of that. Magic.

It's a steampunk factory thing. Tech.

It's a living creature that filters the corruption through its gills. :biotruths

He picked living creature, because it made sense. They spent the first half of the adventure escaping their captors from a storage facility perched on the back a 500 foot long mutant barnacle/wyrm/fish. They cut their way out of a blood vessel. :black101:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I ran a quick session (of what I hope to become an extended campaign) of Inverse World. I kept the setting detail pretty bare bones and told the players that this wouldn't be by-the-book Inverse World (since the book doesn't exist yet), so I just ran with what little setting I already knew of and filled in some of the blanks myself. It was really cool. The thing is, as fun as the vanilla DW classes are and how fun it is to make new characters for DW, there's just something viscerally gratifying about getting to create a Mechanic with a cool mecha suit or a Captain with a flying ship. My players immediately picked up on the anime/JRPG influence, but thankfully none of them are averse to those elements.

I only had time to run one combat after which the PCs made their way to a sky-pirate city to gain their bearings, but there were a number of cool little things that happened during the combat, including the Mechanic using his mecha's rocket fist to grab an enemy (that was basically a Bomb from the Final Fantasy games with the serial numbers filed off) and then throw them off the Captain's ship, followed by the Captain directing his crew to fire at the thing once it flew out to a safe distance from the ship.

The Sky Dancer also blew up an imperial ship by flying into its belly under the cover of clouds and finding his way into its gunpowder storage.

We closed the game with the PCs arriving in the aforementioned pirate city, where the Captain proceeded to sell off his ill-gained goods to throw the biggest party for him and his crew. Thanks to rolling so high on his Carouse roll, he got to pick three options and opted for not being ensorcelled, entangled etc., to gain some useful info and to gain word of an opportunity. I spun a tale about there being rumors of imperial agents having infiltrated the pirate city and working to undermine their semblance of the status quo, and as for the opportunity I threw in a floating castle that only appears every fifth century for two weeks. So, those two plot hooks are a thing now, and next session I'll just see which one (if either) the players decide to act upon.

But yeah, the mechanics of the Inverse World classes are really fun and it was nice seeing them in action.

ThermonuclearTom
Jul 23, 2006

OW
OW
OW
I've got a problem with one of my players that you may be able to help me fix.

Basically during character creation I told everyone to go wild and make a unique race of whatever. (Which is why the party is made up of a Dragonkin, Foxling and a Yordle) One of the players made a really interesting race that is essentially a lions that are bonded with a client race of dexterous smaller cats. Originally she was playing it as a ranger, but she didn't like being ranged, so I swapped her to barbarian (and let her keep the cat thing she had come up with). The problem is that it doesn't really suit her either. She wants to be a heavy hitter with a honorable lion flavour.

Can you think of another class that would suit her better? Or should I jam a couple of playbooks together into something functional?

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

ThermonuclearTom posted:

I've got a problem with one of my players that you may be able to help me fix.

Basically during character creation I told everyone to go wild and make a unique race of whatever. (Which is why the party is made up of a Dragonkin, Foxling and a Yordle) One of the players made a really interesting race that is essentially a lions that are bonded with a client race of dexterous smaller cats. Originally she was playing it as a ranger, but she didn't like being ranged, so I swapped her to barbarian (and let her keep the cat thing she had come up with). The problem is that it doesn't really suit her either. She wants to be a heavy hitter with a honorable lion flavour.

Can you think of another class that would suit her better? Or should I jam a couple of playbooks together into something functional?

Some kind of Cat Paladin?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, what's wrong with the Paladin?

Also, the idea of a Ranger whose animal companion is actually really its master is hilarious.

e; or the Templar, if you're not as fond of the divine knight angle.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 28, 2013

ThermonuclearTom
Jul 23, 2006

OW
OW
OW
Ou I'll have a look a Paladin. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

Androc posted:

Hot off the presses, here's the Summoner release candidate!

AH good news!

I'm in the process of convincing my players to switch to this system. We've just started Pathfinder and I'm eager to switch. The only thing stopping us was the Summoner PC. The player is very attached to his concept (more so than the rules, really).

What do people think of these proposed Summoner rules?

EDIT: oh also which supplement would you guys recommend for black powder guns? I mean old school flintlock style...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rocket Ace posted:

EDIT: oh also which supplement would you guys recommend for black powder guns? I mean old school flintlock style...

DW doesn't have many supplements, and none of the third party stuff produced so far has rules for guns.

Since it's DW, making up new items is laughably easy, so here are rules for guns:

Musket (near, far, +2 damage, dangerous, reload, 3 weight); 75 coins.
Pistolet (near, +1 damage, dangerous, reload, 2 weight): 45 coins.
Cartridge pouch (3 ammo, dangerous, 1 weight): 10 coins.

e; vvv I think we're nearing tag overdose already, at this point (also, these don't use anything other than the core book tags).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 28, 2013

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I also liked Public Opinion's mechanical tag, which added (I think) a 7-9 option:
"You spend a dangerous moment fixing the weapon"

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

Lemon Curdistan posted:

DW doesn't have many supplements, and none of the third party stuff produced so far has rules for guns.

Since it's DW, making up new items is laughably easy, so here are rules for guns:

Musket (near, far, +2 damage, dangerous, reload, 3 weight); 75 coins.
Pistolet (near, +1 damage, dangerous, reload, 2 weight): 45 coins.
Cartridge pouch (3 ammo, dangerous, 1 weight): 10 coins.

e; vvv I think we're nearing tag overdose already, at this point (also, these don't use anything other than the core book tags).

Wow this is pretty kick rear end.

Thanks!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

The 4e Warlock

Is, as Lemon Curdistan hammered into my head, not a very good source of conversion into Dungeon World. What it did do though was give me an idea for what the class is at its core...a magical caster who takes on a Pact to gain power. From that, I thought "What if instead of a pact they were gifted a power to do what they liked. Even better, what if they stole that power from the death throes of a forgotten god?"

I present the rough draft of The Pariah (name is a work in progress), a playbook that focuses on utilizing the source of power to do what he will, at a cost.

http://www.mediafire.com/?v25uvsqtxvy2h5o

Advanced moves will be coming out/thought up once I can get a good core of starting moves for the playbook. I know the first I'm going to offer is getting an additional Secret for Eldritch Blast, but the rest is pretty open at this point and time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Don't forget to steal from the Binder, the coolest 3.5 class.

At a glance: it could do with one less drive and one more source of power. Corruption is the least interesting of the drives, so drop that.

Gift of a Dying God is cool. Chained Secrets of a Dead God overlaps too much with Wellspring of Knowledge.

The number of bonds on the sheet is a hard cap per RAW, and so is effectively a stat. Is there a good reason for Pariah to have five instead of the standard four?

Eldritch Blast and Blacken the Soul, Harden the Body are both way too complicated and way too mechanical. They also don't particularly convey any kind of distinctive identity for this class. They're also a grab-bag of unrelated effects with no unifying fictional identity.

For Eldritch Blast, the move should be about causing interesting (bad) effects to your target, probably. Ditch the "deal 1d8 damage" option because those are really stupid (your damage is d4 for everything except this one option!). Teleport the target to somewhere within Close range is interesting, as is bestowing terrible visions that make the enemy lash out at everything around them for a few moments; find one or two more options that are similarly interesting. The rest are boring and Boiling Whispers doesn't even make sense. I'd also suggest you change the trigger to something a lot more concrete (e.g. when you draw your enemy's blood or something creepy).

On a more general note, I don't see the fictional link between "I draw power from a dead god" and "I blast people with magic." Having any kind of straight up attack move doesn't feel interesting or fitting at all.

For Blacken the Soul, Harden the Body, the name suggests a move that requires some kind of metaphysical cost but heals or provides armour/immunities. In fact, I'd suggest either a move that lets you give those immunities to others, or a move that simply makes you immune to stuff (in exchange for the aforementioned metaphysical cost, ofc. - maybe something like being unable to feel joy, or being unable to see the colour red).

Wellspring of Knowledge would work better as a modifier to Spout Lore; as it is you're basically reprinting Spout Lore with very slight differences and a miss condition.

Blinding Whispers is +Cha for an Int class, but it's appropriate, so no big deal. The trigger condition is convoluted; "to further your goals" can either be dropped entirely or the trigger should be rephrased to suggest this only works when you're working to further your source/patron's goals. The 7-9 is too close to Parley, and the miss suggests you still get an advantage. Here's how I'd do it:

Blinding Whispers
When you speak words of power in your Patron's voice, roll+Cha. On a 10+, those listening heed your words and will act in your best interest, for a little while. On a 7-9, those listening instead act in your Patron's best interests. On a miss, all who are present understand what you have just attempted.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I like the feedback and ideas, I'll see what I can come up with by the end of the day.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
Finally a ran a quick game of Dungeon World using the Indigo Galleon for a couple of friends. I probably could have done a bit better making the world feel alive, but they both really liked the system. I finally see more Dungeon World in my future.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

As long as you're getting feedback, 'beseach' should be spelled 'beseech'. :shobon:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

I like the feedback and ideas, I'll see what I can come up with by the end of the day.

Also, I may be a little biased, but I think you should ditch the Warlock part entirely and just make the Binder. If not, I'll have to.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
Speaking of that game, one of the player's used Mors Rattus' Initiate. He liked it quite a bit.

Is the Initiate playbook actually supposed to have a move called "Testicle Eight Outstanding Techniques?"

Is there a reference we missed or is this a typo?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I'm in the process of writing some Compendium Classes for The Lands of The Dead.

These are pretty raw at the moment, without CC triggers or any kind of "This class is about" prefaces. The Psychopomp is about guiding dead souls to the afterlife, and the Restless Spirit is about being A bodiless spirit haunting the party Patrick Swayze from Ghost.

quote:

The Psychopomp

Grim Guide, Spirit Caller, Postmortem Psychologist, Shadestep

Spirit Medium
You can see, hear, and communicate with the Dead that linger in the Shade near of the Living.

Spirit Guide
When you attempt to guide a dead soul to the Afterlife, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, they go with gratitude or acceptance. *On a 7-9, there are complications, choose 1:

They must conclude unfinished business with the Living before they can move on. The GM will tell you what they need resolved.
They don’t want to go, or don’t believe they’re actually dead. You will need to trick, force, or convince them to move on.

Grateful Dead
When you usher a soul into the Afterlife, you gain 1 Soul. You may sacrifice soul, 1 for 1, on the following:

Create a deathly aura about yourself that causes others fear, apprehension, or uneasiness.
Gain knowledge from a soul you have ushered into the Great Beyond.

quote:

The Restless Spirit

Poltergeist, Ephemeral, Spook, Possession,

Ephemereal
You do not have a physical body. You can pass through physical matter, including people, but you cannot pick up physical objects. Fortunately, you're still incredibly handsome?

Nine Tenths
When you attempt to possess the sleeping or unconscious body of someone or something, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, You gain total control of the body. *On a 7-9, you have to regularly struggle with your host’s consciousness to maintain control.

Poltergeist
When you attempt to move an object with your strong emotions, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, choose 1. *On a 7-9, choose 2:

You make a terrible mess.
Someone’s put in danger.
You leave ectoplasmic residue behind.
You break something.
You have a sensual moment with someone living, probably involving pottery.

What Dreams May Come
When you touch the minds of those grieving for their departed loved ones, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, choose 1 now, and hold 1 for later. *On a 7-9, choose 1. *On a miss, the GM chooses one. Spend hold, 1 for 1, on the following:

You drive them into a vengeful fervor.
You bring them peace and acceptance.
You destroy their will to live.
They fall in love with you?

There's another Compendium Class planned called the Deathwalker, which is about someone that's traveled into the Great Beyond and made it back. I think the move will have a few supernatural abilities, and be able to scare the jinkies out of folks with tales from beyond the grave.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RSIxidor posted:

Is there a reference we missed or is this a typo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_arts_of_Zhou_Tong#Hard_Qigong

It's a legitimate, real Shaolin technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Also, I may be a little biased, but I think you should ditch the Warlock part entirely and just make the Binder. If not, I'll have to.

I actually have no idea what this class is.