Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redeadagain
Jan 10, 2009

this shall be
humorous
I was wondering if once you've submitted the paperwork to eBenefits, do you have to wait for them to send you your Certificate of Eligibility in the mail? Or is there somewhere on the website that it'll show up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Redeadagain posted:

I was wondering if once you've submitted the paperwork to eBenefits, do you have to wait for them to send you your Certificate of Eligibility in the mail? Or is there somewhere on the website that it'll show up?

I got mine a few weeks after applying for benefits. It's an ordinary looking letter that tells you to turn it into the school's financial aid department.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
HR Management this summer. Thank the gently caress christ it's a) online and b) an accelerated summer course.

If I had to take a four month class on how to be a professional snitch and crumbsnatcher there's no way I could keep up the facade.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

GD_American posted:

HR Management this summer. Thank the gently caress christ it's a) online and b) an accelerated summer course.

If I had to take a four month class on how to be a professional snitch and crumbsnatcher there's no way I could keep up the facade.

The first few times I saw The Office I felt bad for Toby, and then I realized he was in HR. gently caress HR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWrXZzzq1B0

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Is it crazy that I'm working towards a nice practical masters in engineering management, but dreaming of following it up with a PhD in quantum physics? Yeah, it might be completely useless, but I'd have a loving doctorate in quantum physics.

Physics is my first love. It's why I went into applied physics (engineering) in the first place. Maybe I can finally live the dream?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I would love to get an applied physics MS but I lack the math :( So I will content myself with further CS work. Johns Hopkins has a post-MS certificate program I've applied for, we'll see how that goes.

ROPES CURE NIGGERS
Feb 18, 2013

by Fistgrrl
I'd have to say that getting my Post 9/11 benefits started for grad school was so much easier than I expected. That's all I got :)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
The big question is what to do my thesis on. New deathray, perhaps? I'm actually leaning towards research into neutrino submarine communications. Pretty sure I can get stratcom to pony up a nice fat grant for that.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

grover posted:

Is it crazy that I'm working towards a nice practical masters in engineering management, but dreaming of following it up with a PhD in quantum physics? Yeah, it might be completely useless, but I'd have a loving doctorate in quantum physics.

Physics is my first love. It's why I went into applied physics (engineering) in the first place. Maybe I can finally live the dream?

Would quantum physics really be useless? I figure if you got the degree from a good school someone will pick you up to work on something?

Of course I know nothing about high academia.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Would quantum physics really be useless? I figure if you got the degree from a good school someone will pick you up to work on something?

Of course I know nothing about high academia.
I've already got a good job in a very good career field; if anything it would hurt me, and I'd have to leave it off my resume for fear of looking overqualified when applying for decidedly untechnical management positions.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

grover posted:

The big question is what to do my thesis on. New deathray, perhaps? I'm actually leaning towards research into neutrino submarine communications. Pretty sure I can get stratcom to pony up a nice fat grant for that.

Everything I know about this subject tells me that this is a bad idea if for no other reason than salt.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When does the VA open up for the Fall semester?

Or has that already started

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Zomodok posted:

When does the VA open up for the Fall semester?

Or has that already started

Up to 120 days before the start of your semester/session/quarter/whatever.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah then it should have already started. (Fall 2013 starts August 26th) Don't understand why I was turned away yesterday especially since the delay that happened last year I wanted to do it as soon as I could. (They told me they didn't know when they could submit the stuff)

Guess I'll just wait until June 4th when I get back from vacation, wanted to do it before but v:shobon:v

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Zomodok posted:

Yeah then it should have already started. (Fall 2013 starts August 26th) Don't understand why I was turned away yesterday especially since the delay that happened last year I wanted to do it as soon as I could. (They told me they didn't know when they could submit the stuff)

Guess I'll just wait until June 4th when I get back from vacation, wanted to do it before but v:shobon:v

It's a common problem. When I was working in my vet office the dudes at the bursars office didn't believe me until I showed them the guideline in the handbook. It's not exactly a bullet point and easy to find.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KetTarma posted:

Everything I know about this subject tells me that this is a bad idea if for no other reason than salt.
Why would salt matter? Corrosion of highly sensitive detectors?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

KetTarma posted:

Everything I know about the subject tells me that he's not getting anywhere until we truly understand neutrino oscillations, and the guy(s) that figure that poo poo out and publish on it conclusively will be lording their Noble Prizes over everyone for years to come. And they'll likely be working at CERN.

I don't think Grover is gonna be lording a Noble prize anytime soon-- I mean, can you picture GroverLHC? You seriously can't build a neutrino detector out of load bearing drywall, or a particle collider with cheap aluminum windows from lowes.

Jesus imagine the catastrophe.

edit: :)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 26, 2013

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

grover posted:

Why would salt matter? Corrosion of highly sensitive detectors?

It wouldn't... Not sure what they teach nukes about Neutrino's in nuke school, but from a practical standpoint the salt doesn't add significant opacity to neutrino's at all.. at least not on any level we could hope to engineer to.

It's the same reason why building the detectors and trying to communicate with them is all but impossible. They're so weakly interacting it's not even funny. Most of what we know about neutrino's and anti-neutrino's really are out on the far edge of particle physics in terms of conclusiveness. I mean gently caress, general relativity still has a ton of holes in the experimental data... our understanding of neutrino physics is in it's infancy compared to study of general relativity (and funding for that matter).

I'd love to be a physicist if it was anything like what I dream it would be, but in reality- it's a math degree with a strict application field and I'm just not as smart as I'd like to be when it comes to math to do physics as anything other than a minor. Which is what I changed my minor to.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Why did you add an apostrophe to every instance of "neutrinos" but no other word? That's an oddly specific error. You even got "its/it's" right.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

It wouldn't... Not sure what they teach nukes about Neutrino's in nuke school, but from a practical standpoint the salt doesn't add significant opacity to neutrino's at all.. at least not on any level we could hope to engineer to.

It's the same reason why building the detectors and trying to communicate with them is all but impossible. They're so weakly interacting it's not even funny. Most of what we know about neutrino's and anti-neutrino's really are out on the far edge of particle physics in terms of conclusiveness. I mean gently caress, general relativity still has a ton of holes in the experimental data... our understanding of neutrino physics is in it's infancy compared to study of general relativity (and funding for that matter).

I'd love to be a physicist if it was anything like what I dream it would be, but in reality- it's a math degree with a strict application field and I'm just not as smart as I'd like to be when it comes to math to do physics as anything other than a minor. Which is what I changed my minor to.
Yeah, there are some HUGE challenges to neutrino communication, but when you look at all the other insane poo poo that's been done for submarine communication, it doesn't seem so overwhelming.

First step is that we need to get a better source of neutrinos. The more neutrinos, the higher the bandwidth the communications channel- yeah, it's great that quadrillions of neutrinos pass straight to the reach to reach that submarine every second, but when they pass straight through without interacting... That's kinda useless. Even if we expand the search outside the sub to as far as we can reliably detect in seawater, 50 neutrinos/year isn't going to yield very useful results. And that's going to require not only a better understanding of neutrino oscillations, but quantum mechanics in general.

I'm not going to be building a supercollider for a doctoral thesis, but I might be able to do an experiment on one that already exists, or maybe just do some baseline experiments with neutrino detectors in actual seawater to find out what sort of background noise there is.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 26, 2013

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

That is the device that we detect neutrinos in. It's filled with either pure or heavy water, depending on which facility its at. TLDR they're trying to detect pair annihilation occurring in the water. Even with this massive array, they're barely detected.

Submarine systems have to be extremely reliable and very compact. That system is neither.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KetTarma posted:

That is the device that we detect neutrinos in. It's filled with either pure or heavy water, depending on which facility its at. TLDR they're trying to detect pair annihilation occurring in the water. Even with this massive array, they're barely detected.

Submarine systems have to be extremely reliable and very compact. That system is neither.

The thought is to turn it inside-out. Don't try to detect neutrinos inside the sub; instead turn the skin of the sub into a neutrino detector, looking for interaction with seawater at depth. After all, that's all those detectors really are- massive pools of water. Could be extended by placing detectors on the towed array, too.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

ok so youre going to pulse a nuclear reactor from prompt critical to shutdown repeatedly to transmit neutrino pulses as a frequency modulated signal or .. something?

It just seems like the least efficient way to do things.

good luck if you do your paper on this

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
What you really need is a consistent and directional source of anti-neutrino's, and extremely dense material to use as a detector of anti-neutrino matter interaction.

For my money the trick will be in accelerating (or energizing really) plasma torus's to relativistic energy levels to achieve extreme density (the exponential increase in mass from ye-olde E=MC2 while also subsequently compressing into a torus.. or really I guess it could be an out and out high temperature/high spin velocity plasma orb as well.

Anyway, you need to get the density to insanely high levels.. increase the mass but keep the same volume and density goes through the roof and therefore your probabilities of anti-neutrino->matter... you increase the mass by using super conducting magnets to rotate the sphere of I guess, I dunno hydrogen or helium plasma to relativistic speeds/mass and figure out a novel way to detect oscillations in the ammount of anti-neutrino-> H/HE interactions either in the magnetic fields that are generated, or looking at oscillations in Gamma rays (I believe anti-neutrino->proton interactions lead to Neutron's, positrons's, thus leading to gamma rays...

But your plasma is gonna be dealing with fusion issues at relativistic energies / densities, so I mean.. gently caress.

I dunno, I'm really high right now-- I have an idea of what I'm trying to say but it's not coming out. There are elements that could be made gaseous/plasma that won't undergo fusion at relativistic energy levels, they're probably what's needed not H/HE. The interaction you look for is positron pair destruction creating gamma rays that resulted from an anti-neutrino -> proton reaction.

ugh, nm i give up- but anti-neutrino's are easy to make with high levels of Beta decay, and you can achieve a lot of beta decay's relatively easily without requiring criticality. really..

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
All you really need is a conventional supercollider the size of tevatron, but capable of 3 orders of magnitude more output. Present techniques involve firing a proton beam of precise energy at a target which unleashes a stream of mesons which decay into neutrinos. All super inefficient, but it's a means to create a directional neutrino pulse of high enough flux to be detectable. A team recently sent a communications signal through a few miles of rock using such a beam.

KetTarma posted:

ok so youre going to pulse a nuclear reactor from prompt critical to shutdown repeatedly to transmit neutrino pulses as a frequency modulated signal or .. something?

It just seems like the least efficient way to do things.

good luck if you do your paper on this
Nah, there's no way to get enough neutrinos from a naval reactor for two-way communication, at least not with our present technology. It would be one way still, just like LF/VLF.

grover fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 26, 2013

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
Nerds.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Jealous nuke school doesn't go into actual subatomic quantum physics, huh?

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

grover posted:

Jealous nuke school doesn't go into actual subatomic quantum physics, huh?

Quite the opposite I assure you!

Anyways I'm pretty sure the voc rehab lady said she can keep paying me for like 3 months after I graduate if I don't find a job so thats cool......shes like the best VA employee ive ever interacted with and its not even close

I now pay 300 bucks for psych visits + 120 a month on meds out of pocket because I'm so sick of the medical part of the VA :)

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I'm sure I can research this when I have time, but figured I'd ask here in case some knowledgeable people can easily answer my questions.

I served in active duty AF from 9/99 through 10/02, when I Palace Chased into the guard. I separated from the guard in 11/06. Did my ten years of eligibility for Montgomery GI bill benefits start when I left active duty (I believe this is the case, but want to make sure)?

Either way, if I start taking classes, I'll probably want to use the post-9/11 GI bill even at 60% benefits, correct?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Why would you be at 60%? it's 36 months of service to earn 100% of the Post-9/11.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

holocaust bloopers posted:

Why would you be at 60%? it's 36 months of service to earn 100% of the Post-9/11.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001
http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

mokhtar belmokhtar posted:

Quite the opposite I assure you!

Anyways I'm pretty sure the voc rehab lady said she can keep paying me for like 3 months after I graduate if I don't find a job so thats cool......shes like the best VA employee ive ever interacted with and its not even close

I now pay 300 bucks for psych visits + 120 a month on meds out of pocket because I'm so sick of the medical part of the VA :)

Did you make sure your medication is generic? Also, a huge number of prescriptions are less than five bucks at Walmart pharmacies.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

front wing flexing posted:

Did you make sure your medication is generic? Also, a huge number of prescriptions are less than five bucks at Walmart pharmacies.

yeah all generic i was surprised, idk if buproprion xr can be found cheap rly but should probably look around a little

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

mokhtar belmokhtar posted:

yeah all generic i was surprised, idk if buproprion xr can be found cheap rly but should probably look around a little

If you switch off xr and just take it mores time per day it can be found for cheaper.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

front wing flexing posted:

If you switch off xr and just take it mores time per day it can be found for cheaper.

way way way cheaper

xr formulations for seroquel/wellbutrin were calculated business decisions.. despite being more effective in XR formulations the drugs were first patented as IR, so that the more effective XR could be patented to extend the exclusivity rights on the best form of the drug.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Hello this is the education thread.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Vasudus posted:

Hello this is the education thread.

I just learned more about nuclear physics in the last three pages than I thought possible. :science:

Has anyone done a study abroad while being on their Post 9/11?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Awww yeah, finally got past the administrators and I am at the point where a departmental adviser is going to tell me what courses to take. If I like her answer I get to pick what school I'm going to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Tomorrow Im going to have to talk to my department head about getting into a course to try to maintain full time status. If I can't, how badly does taking 11 hours screw me vs taking full time of 12 hours? My internship fell through at the last possible minute and Im trying to go back to my old degree plan :(

• Locked thread