Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I've shot a fair bit of 10-year old tungsten film that was cold-stored, the only thing I've really noticed is a slight loss of speed and base fog. It's not a gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheLastManStanding posted:

What? I've shot plenty of kodak gold that expired in the mid 90s and was stored in a drawer at room temperature with absolutely no noticeable change in quality.

Yep, I shot some very old Kodak Gold a few months ago, turned out fine:

l3 by Quantum of Phallus

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Captain Postal posted:

There was a post on one of the film forums by... an Illford(?) technical officer, who said that there is a huge increase in shelf life between 25C and 4C, but no noticeable improvement between 4C and -20C. So fridge is in theory fine.

We all still use freezers though.

There is no way It is highly unlikely that 15 year old film will work properly - if it works you will get some funky effects so give it a try anyway.

It all depends on the storage method. You have to put the film through major abuse, not to get an image at all.
The frozen film I've shot even kept the speed and the base fog is a smidgen more than fresh film of the same brand, so little in fact that it may be just because it's an older (less sophisticated) emulsion.

Case in point:

Portra 100t - 120 size - stored at 1F - Expired 2000

Abused film:

Kodak Ektachrome 64T - 120 size - stored in extremely hot closet (exceeding 100F) - Expired 1997 - Batch from 1991(!)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Captain Postal posted:

There is no way It is highly unlikely that 15 year old film will work properly - if it works you will get some funky effects so give it a try anyway.
I've shot plenty of 15-year-old Kodak Gold and it only loses half a stop and gains a bit of grain without being chilled. For refrigerated 4x5, I'd definitely overexpose half a stop for negative film, but I think you're considering a worst case scenario.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Only tangentially related, but I found this thing where you can play around with film canister DX codes. For example I didn't know that DX actually also encoded film latitude, which at least to me, is interesting.

Might also come in handy if you're hand-loading bulk film and wish to "fake" it.

Link here.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

Only tangentially related, but I found this thing where you can play around with film canister DX codes. For example I didn't know that DX actually also encoded film latitude, which at least to me, is interesting.

Might also come in handy if you're hand-loading bulk film and wish to "fake" it.

Link here.

Nice one for this, my P30N doesn't let me rate film, it's pretty much the only downside than amazing body (also no double exposure :smith:)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
That's how I trick my mju:ii into shooting Fomapan 400 at 3200, turn the flash off and you're good to go.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nice one for this, my P30N doesn't let me rate film, it's pretty much the only downside than amazing body (also no double exposure :smith:)

You might be able to paint over some of the DX code panels with fingernail polish to trick it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Did any other Toronto goons to go the photography fair this sunday?

I usually go there to load up on expired film because it's cheap, but this time (and the last) I think they're raising the prices a bit too much for 5+ year old film. $3 a roll or $4 a roll of "pro" films, where it used to be $2 a roll for whatever. The $4 rolls were some Ilford Delta 100 - this is nearing the non-expired price of about $5.

I still got some film though cause why not

2 boxes of Fuji NPH400 (exp. 2003), 1 box of TriX Pan (I push it to 640 with great results), 4 rolls of Delta 100 (exp. 2005), 1 roll (the only roll) of HP5. Total was $65-ish

I walked around some tables and noticed a good condition mju:ii and I thought sweet I can finally replace my broken one, but then I though crap he will probably over charge me. He was selling it for $25 but the rear window was missing so I got the price down to 10. Put some electrical tape over it and I'm good to go!

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Decided to see if my dad's old 70s SLR still worked, it does and I need to shoot Portra more often:

At the BBQ by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Tenbux Tincan
Dec 22, 2004

Honk!

Hawk by Tenbux, on Flickr

Tenbux Tincan fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 29, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Holistic Detective posted:

Decided to see if my dad's old 70s SLR still worked, it does and I need to shoot Portra more often:

I'm curious about the identity of this 70's SLR. I just like old cameras.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Excuse to post expired film spotted:
I present Konica SRG-3200 expired 2001 and shot at EI 800 :ese:

I still have 2 24exp 32mm, and 3 120 rolls. I am saving them, for what I do not know.

e: I no longer feel the need to trawl ebay for rare old mysterious films but I do have some tucked away.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 29, 2013

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

ExecuDork posted:

I'm curious about the identity of this 70's SLR. I just like old cameras.

It's a really beat up Nikkormat, I think an FT2 with an even older 55mm f/3.5 micro lens.

edit: Flying over to NY the day after tomorrow to spend a couple of weeks with my sister and was planning on picking up film for the trip once I got there since it's probably cheaper than buying it here in the UK, any NY goons want to weigh in on the best place to get some?

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 29, 2013

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Got a Rollei 35 SE.. Amazing Bond feeling. :D
Loaded a Foma 400 roll into it pronto.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
http://www.davidemittadams.com/portfolio/36-exposures/

This is pretty rad, using the mat surface inside 35mm canisters as substrates for tintypes, may have to try this with some old folders I've got lying around.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, that's cool. I also like the "Conversations with History" project which is wet plate using old tin cans.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, last weekend I took a class on 3D printing and I was able to print a 620 film spool from Thingiverse. I'm really excited to respooled some 120 film. So, I got out the two 620 cameras I have only to find that the Brownie actually takes 127 film. Welp, at least I can use the Rediflex.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah, that's cool. I also like the "Conversations with History" project which is wet plate using old tin cans.

Now he needs to take photos of hipsters on flattened PBR cans.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm one of the cool kids now, right?

Can't wait to shoot a roll this weekend when I have time off.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm one of the cool kids now, right?

Can't wait to shoot a roll this weekend when I have time off.

I was about to mock you because of all the Pentax ME Super blah blah we're exposed to here, but decided to share a pic of my new baby instead:

Rollei 35 SE di maxmars70, su Flickr

I have great expectations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I've been really wanting to get a Rollei 35, they're just so cheap (25) that I can't justify not getting one. How's the quality of that little lens?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Santa is strapped posted:

I've been really wanting to get a Rollei 35, they're just so cheap (25)

Where are you seeing them for this cheap?
They're well over €150 on eBay where I am.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

I've been really wanting to get a Rollei 35, they're just so cheap (25) that I can't justify not getting one. How's the quality of that little lens?

I have the 2.8 Sonnar version and it does the job.

Untitled by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Now that I have a rangefinder that actually lets me see focus though, it's on permanent pocket camera duty with Tri-X pushed to 1600.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/voodoorootbeer/tags/rollei35s/

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

lovely cross processed velvia shot with a lovely rear end camera (nikon n5005) in lovely lighting conditions.

velvia006.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

velvia012.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

velvia003.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I'm the ccd noise from the scanner cause the negs were so thick

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

god drat

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

voodoorootbeer posted:

I have the 2.8 Sonnar version and it does the job.

Now that I have a rangefinder that actually lets me see focus though, it's on permanent pocket camera duty with Tri-X pushed to 1600.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/voodoorootbeer/tags/rollei35s/

That's a sharp lens. I like it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Where are you seeing them for this cheap?
They're well over €150 on eBay where I am.

When I went to the photo fair here in Toronto last week. They seemed in top notch shape. Not every table was that price, but that is the lowest I saw.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

nielsm posted:

I have an ancient (probably early or mid 90's) B/W reversal chemistry kit from Tetenal, unopened. I'm not sure if the developers in it are still good, but the other chemicals probably are. I got it for free myself, and doubt I'll ever get to use it, so you can have it for the shipping cost. It's located in Copenhagen, which isn't where I live currently, but will be visiting next week.
Just to mention that nielsm is a cool dude who sent me chemicals in the post. Looking forward to trying out my Agfa 200x and also making some 4x5 positives.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

I have processed the first roll yesterday evening. Contacts look promising, or at least crisp, I can tell the scratches on a turtle shell from the neg.
The framing of the negatives seems inconsistent though. Some are well spaced, some are pretty close to each other. I really hope it's not going to break on me soon!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That's a sharp lens. I like it.

When I went to the photo fair here in Toronto last week. They seemed in top notch shape. Not every table was that price, but that is the lowest I saw.

Buy the hell out of a Rollei that you see that cheaply. I got mine for about $160 bucks earlier this year. It's a fantastic little camera, and I try to take it everywhere.

EDIT: My Rollei has the Tessar 3.5, and it's a great lens.

From Sleeping Bear Dunes, on Lake Michigan:

Michigan summers:

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 3, 2013

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

You guys recommend any e-6 labs in the northeast before I send my stuff to dwayne's? Local place is down at the moment.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

East Lake posted:

You guys recommend any e-6 labs in the northeast before I send my stuff to dwayne's? Local place is down at the moment.

Where's your local place? Edgar Praus has always treated me well, but I saw you posted in the Upstate New York thread, so that might be him.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Nah I'm in Buffalo. That place looks good though. Shipping will be really quick from that distance. Shoulda occurred to me that there would be a Rochester place. :)

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Shot some more very expired Fuji T64 (Very first version, Expired 1995) but compared to Kodak's 64T that I shot before it was stored properly. The difference is night and day.
Sorry for the so-so subject matter, I was worried it would come out like the Kodak film so I didn't put much effort into it.

So to recap:
Kodak Ektachrome 64T, Exp. 1997, eBay, "Don't know how it was stored.." -VS- Fuji T64, Exp. 1995, eBay, Seller swore that it had been frozen since purchase.

Besides the density, the Kodak film also has ping pong ball grain. So yeah..freezing your film matters!

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Processed my first roll with the Rollei 35, here's a complex shot that turned out well (for a camera with no meter and focus assistance). Harsh lighting with deep shadows, people under different light conditions.

Thoughts di maxmars70, su Flickr

I didn't see any missed focus frames in the roll, it's easier to use than I originally thought.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Your Rollei should have a meter, right? Little window on top of the camera?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

a foolish pianist posted:

It's just an ambient light meter, and I don't think the non-LED models are particularly accurate to begin with. If you're shooting a strongly backlit area it will still read high.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 4, 2013

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Shot some Provia 400X last month and forgot to post the results here

Snack Shop by Winston85, on Flickr

twigs by Winston85, on Flickr

0033_###.jpg by Winston85, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Mightaswell posted:

Shot some Provia 400X last month and forgot to post the results here

Snack Shop by Winston85, on Flickr

Did you mess with the exposure in post at all? It seems kind of shifted to the blues. I have a 5 pack of Provia 100F that I plan to shoot mostly sunny 16 and I'm hoping to avoid wierd color shifts if I screw up a little.

More Rollei 35s chat: Your ISO dial goes to 1600. You can shoot 1600 outdoors in overcast conditions or in a variety of indoors lighting situations. Choice seems clear.

karate by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

a foolish pianist posted:

Well yes it should have one, the "SE" model sports a TTL led based light meter.
Unfortunately it uses a battery which is not in production anymore and if you substitute it with current batteries the delta voltage is sufficient to make it spit wrong results.

I don't know how good this meter is but to be honest, given the results I'm seeing, I'm not in a hurry to make it work. I think I'll just stick with b/w film and guesswork on this camera. It's very fun. :)