Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Talk about process should not be discouraged at all

I don't think anyone's saying that, but all the "talking" just turned into an unhelpful dick-waving over who uses the best editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Generic Octopus posted:

I don't think anyone's saying that, but all the "talking" just turned into an unhelpful dick-waving over who uses the best editor.

Par for the course in TSF. :v: Another reason why it should probably move there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

I like to make more visual notes:

Sorry, but hentai LPs aren't allowed around here, maybe you should read rules before posting!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I like to carve my OPs and SSLP updates into the flesh of innocent children.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

DarkHamsterlord posted:

The only text editor you'll ever need.

For personal reasons, I do not update my LP from my computer. (I also have no net connection much of the time.) To look at or post an LP I send mail with an attached vim text file to a demon which runs wget and mails the update back to me. It is very efficient use of my time, but it is slow in real time.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I switch between computers often (time to kill on my laptop at work, home laptop, home desktop, etc), so I've been fond of just using Google Drive and putting a text document on there.

It's not perfect, of course. Right-clicking doesn't have the usual copy/paste options (need to use hotkeys, small gripe), but most glaringly is the fact that cursor placement is hard to spot (ie: are you in front of or behind a bracket, for example). Still, if you shuffle computers often, it's pretty handy :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What is the exact pixel width of the forum table? For ideal screenshot purposes.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Your browser's width, minus 16 or so pixels.

Just go with 1024x768 or so. Bascially, we'll yell at you if it's too big.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, the table is unbounded width (Lowtax talked about wanting to change that but not being able to for some reason in the last forum CSS update, I think) but house rules is what Suspicious Dish said: don't inline something wider than 1024 without good reason.

Captain_Red
Mar 2, 2007
I'm a Captain
I'm looking for some feedback on a video I've recorded with my brother (who calls himself Slack jaw and doesn't have an SA account) on Medal of honor for the Original PlayStation. It's a bit rough, but we're pretty happy to make this the first video (with a few tweaks here an there) if you guys don't absolutely hate it.

The reason I'm asking for feedback for just this video at the moment rather then making a full fledged test post is because I plan to record a proper introduction to the game (sort of a pitch for the LP), and I'd rather do that after I've got feed back from y'all.

We're prepared to work on this to get it as watchable as we can get it, though the video is not super high res on account of this being a PSX game. I really don't see the point in recording in HD, so I'm probably going to stick with this video quality unless enough people insist I change it. The Commentary however is up for discussion. We do have a fair bit to say about the game and we're so just super psyched to tell you all about it that we kinda stepped on each others words a bit during this recording, and will head back to the booth if it's not up to standard.

anyways, here's out first attempt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLUDxwWnjac

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

From a technical side, I would record in high res even though it's a PS1 game. There's a difference between pixelated due to design and just fuzzy due to low quality recordings, and you want it to be the best you can get it. As for the commentary, the loudest person (I would assume that's you) has a strange distortion like you're speaking over a webphone call with a bad codec. The other guy is pretty quiet, on the other hand, need to bump him up.

As for the commentary, it is kinda fumbly like you said. It's generally wise to have one person explain points and for the other person to add additional info afterwards, not because of any issue with Person 2 but because it's a lot more coherent that way. But you knew it was fumbly so :shrug:.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

DreamShipWrecked posted:

like you're speaking over a webphone call with a bad codec.

Or just a not-so-great connection with him using Callgraph audio or something.

Captain_Red
Mar 2, 2007
I'm a Captain
Well spotted. The recording was done through Skype due to my brother living half a continent away but I have a way to cheat that, we recorded ourselves at both ends with the intent of stitching it together if it sounds to crummy (which I guess it does?)

I was actually the quiet one, though I %100 don't blame you thinking otherwise. While the LP is my idea, we both know this game pretty well and my brother has some actual radio experience, so I tend to stand aside and let him do the talking. When we where setting up, my bro said I sounded a little loud, so I back up from the mic before we started. I won't do that for the next recording.

As for recording it in a higher res... Uh, I'm still not super keen to do that, as my monitor doesn't like the resolution 1280x720 (witch is odd, seeing as it is basically a flat screen TV with a computer plugged into it).

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Captain_Red posted:

Well spotted. The recording was done through Skype due to my brother living half a continent away but I have a way to cheat that, we recorded ourselves at both ends with the intent of stitching it together if it sounds to crummy (which I guess it does?)

I was actually the quiet one, though I %100 don't blame you thinking otherwise. While the LP is my idea, we both know this game pretty well and my brother has some actual radio experience, so I tend to stand aside and let him do the talking. When we where setting up, my bro said I sounded a little loud, so I back up from the mic before we started. I won't do that for the next recording.

As for recording it in a higher res... Uh, I'm still not super keen to do that, as my monitor doesn't like the resolution 1280x720 (witch is odd, seeing as it is basically a flat screen TV with a computer plugged into it).
In regards to the commentary recording, what you're going to want to do is have each one of you record separately in Audacity (making sure that Audacity doesn't pick up each other causing an echo) and then just pop that together. You can easily sync up by doing a simple countdown at the start and you won't have to deal with recording directly off Skype and sounding weird.

In regards to the resolution, considering it's PS1, you'll want to record at something like 960x720 (or resize the video to that size during your editing and encoding process) if you want to keep it at a high quality for youtube. In the end though, you won't really get better quality because it's PS1 and that's just the way it is.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I would recommend recording at 320x240 or 640x480 (depending on which is the game's 'native' resolution) using Lagarinth and upscaling ×3 or ×2 respectively in post-production. Recording in anything other than the game's native resolution generally doesn't produce good results, though it depends on the emulator being used.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Description
Minecraft is generally thought of as a building and/or survival game, but there are a couple bosses and this (mini?)series is intended to show off building up to and conquering them. There will be a bit of building but mostly the practical supply or device kind - e.g. traps to harvest arrows from enemies.

These episodes probably will be relatively short, since they're tightly edited - and commentary is geared toward non-Minecraft players.

Schedule
No set schedule, probably one or two per week - on days that don't interrupt my other SA LPs

Feedback
I love feedback - even negative comments are appreciated, that's how I improve.

Spoilers
Don't talk about things we haven't seen - this series will be moving very fast, no reason to jump ahead. Not even with tags, don't do it.

Episodes

Episode 1 - Introduction
YouTube Polsy

unfair fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 28, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Ahh, I was wondering if this would ever be done on here. I was honestly contemplating it at some point because jesus christ do I have experience with it :geno: but I never felt like it had enough to warrant an LP. In fact this is distinctly why I got sick of playing it nearly 2 years ago. Notch just kept adding in all of his day dreamy bullshit and forgot to add any sort of narrative or quests, however thin or trivial, at all.

That said, as usual your video/audio/commentary is good and if you can make a Minecraft LP work (that doesn't just feel like what you said, a 150 part series of meandering) then more power too you. Opting to have guests is probably a safe bet, too.

Edit: I know your videos are 1080p but increasing the HUD size up one notch might make it easier to make out what's going on for people who don't watch fullscreen, or can't watch in such a high resolution.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 27, 2013

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Sundowner posted:

Ahh, I was wondering if this would ever be done on here. I was honestly contemplating it at some point because jesus christ do I have experience with it :geno: but I never felt like it had enough to warrant an LP. In fact this is distinctly why I got sick of playing it nearly 2 years ago. Notch just kept adding in all of his day dreamy bullshit and forgot to add any sort of narrative or quests, however thin or trivial, at all.

That said, as usual your video/audio/commentary is good and if you can make a Minecraft LP work (that doesn't just feel like what you said, a 150 part series of meandering) then more power too you. Opting to have guests is probably a safe bet, too.

Edit: I know your videos are 1080p but increasing the HUD size up one notch might make it easier to make out what's going on for people who don't watch fullscreen, or can't watch in such a high resolution.

dave_o also has an ongoing series, but his seems to be geared more toward hardcore survivial/building type content.

I really don't know how long my LP will be overall, probably a lot shorter than most of the RPG series I've completed so far.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

This was actually pretty nice, not what I was expecting. If I had one piece of advice for you, it's that you should get a better mic or do some noise-cancelling on your background noise. It got pretty distracting at some points.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

This was actually pretty nice, not what I was expecting. If I had one piece of advice for you, it's that you should get a better mic or do some noise-cancelling on your background noise. It got pretty distracting at some points.

Can you tell me what parts you hear it particularly bad? Usually Audacity kills all the white noise very well. It's actually my PC location, which is easy to fix - I've just never noticed it come through in the final audio before.

Edit: I'm just wondering if it's actually noise I'm not hearing, or part of the game itself - can you hear it when I'm not talking?

unfair fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 27, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

unfair posted:

dave_o also has an ongoing series, but his seems to be geared more toward hardcore survivial/building type content.

Ah yeah. I don't have SA archive access so I never did get to see the thread. Probably why I didn't think there was one going.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I posted a new test post for a Mass Effect Trilogy LP a couple pages back that went largely unnoticed compared to the first time around. At least nobody said anything bad about it! Just thought I'd bring it up once again real quick to make sure nobody had anything else to say about it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oof, recording (with screenshots) the first proper session of my LP of Civ V G&K. Trouble is...I had the "misfortune" of being the runaway civ on a huge continent all to myself which runs completely counter to the stuff I wanted to show off (specifically, using religion as a weapon to weaken and destroy my enemies). Time to re-roll!

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Geop posted:

I switch between computers often (time to kill on my laptop at work, home laptop, home desktop, etc), so I've been fond of just using Google Drive and putting a text document on there.

It's not perfect, of course. Right-clicking doesn't have the usual copy/paste options (need to use hotkeys, small gripe), but most glaringly is the fact that cursor placement is hard to spot (ie: are you in front of or behind a bracket, for example). Still, if you shuffle computers often, it's pretty handy :v:

You might be better off using something like Dropbox to carry all of your files between computers--maybe because I'm just not much of a fan of Google Drive to begin with.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Sundowner posted:

Yeah I was fiddling around that before recording, but bringing the size up to a point where it would actually be legible in a YouTube window took up a lot of the screen for the health/armor/inventory bar - and since we're not doing any intense crafting I thought the game visuals should take priority. Weird to say about Minecraft, but I think it looks rather pretty with this texture pack in outdoor areas.

I also modified the texture pack font back to the default too - which should probably hit next episode. I think it makes it much more legible as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know if it's the texture pack or my laptop but the item names were pretty hard to make out. I'm watching the video at 1080p too. Now that I take a look at it your inventory at the bottom of the screen looks really small too.

Edit: I'm dumb and saw you fixed this in the post literally right above mine.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 27, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Test post and test OP of my Let's Play of Civilization V: Gods and Kings. Title will be: "Our faith is rooted in Asskicking: Let's Play Civ V: Gods and Kings!"

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=12828

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=12829

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
For people who were interested in Botanicula, my thread is up. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I posted a new test post for a Mass Effect Trilogy LP a couple pages back that went largely unnoticed compared to the first time around. At least nobody said anything bad about it! Just thought I'd bring it up once again real quick to make sure nobody had anything else to say about it.

I'd say you're good to go! Everything's looking solid.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alright. I guess if there's no complaints or anything I'll post it in one hour. Fingers crossed and all that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Speedball posted:

Test post and test OP of my Let's Play of Civilization V: Gods and Kings. Title will be: "Our faith is rooted in Asskicking: Let's Play Civ V: Gods and Kings!"

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=12828

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=12829

Your OP reads more like a fledgling tutorial than a runthrough of the game. That's fine and all, but you might consider where you want to go with it once you show off the religion mechanics. Civ games are innately flexible, you can carry it on afterwards if you want to.

Additionally, bear in mind that you must strike the right balance between explaining mechanics and skipping over the wide swaths of loving around that goes along with playing it, so make sure you're including almost everything to understand what is going on, but not *everything*. It doesn't need to be five pages of info, just a sentence or two will be enough. Just make sure you cut out a lot of the production and expansion, otherwise it's just going to be "look what we found!" all day long which will be kinda dull to read.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, yeah, absolutely there will be skipping dozens of turns at a time to cut to the chase. Good advice, though. Thanks.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Here's a test OP and first update for a SSLP of Blackwell: Unbound.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=12845

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=12838

The Dark Id started the series but then went off to do other stuff, and I loving love those games so I figured I might as well step in to finish them?

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Be gentle, it's my first time :ohdear:.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuCEuM3Ba3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ufxrl0vn0A

I've never tried a video LP before, and my knowledge of video formats is pretty minimal. Ideally I'd like the videos to be watchable in full screen, but recording in higher resolution introduces some audio lag issues and deinterlacing that I haven't been able to sort out yet.

Just for the record, I'm already resigned to re-recording and re-commentating the test video, so be as vicious as you like about that.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
A question about New Game+ LPs, since a lot of games I'm doing or thinking of doing have pretty healthy New Game+'s. If you're trying to communicate an authentic experience of a game, is it alright if a New Game+ is done even if it may make the game much easier / much faster?

For this question, I'm ignoring mostly cosmetic features and instead talking about starting out with much more resources / equipment that are carried over. Is it more important to get through the game as fast as possible while covering everything you want or is communicating what you have to do to be good at the game as if the person reading it was just starting to play the game?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sylphid posted:

A question about New Game+ LPs, since a lot of games I'm doing or thinking of doing have pretty healthy New Game+'s. If you're trying to communicate an authentic experience of a game, is it alright if a New Game+ is done even if it may make the game much easier / much faster?

For this question, I'm ignoring mostly cosmetic features and instead talking about starting out with much more resources / equipment that are carried over. Is it more important to get through the game as fast as possible while covering everything you want or is communicating what you have to do to be good at the game as if the person reading it was just starting to play the game?

If New Game+ allows you to show more of the game in a more entertaining or new way then go for it, especially if the gameplay is more of the 'entertaining to me, not watchers' type.
So Long as you make it interesting it's a good idea.

For example the current demon's souls LP does things at NG+7, where enemies can kill you with a doubled health bar in a one hit. Not many people play past NG+ so it was good seeing it that far in. Also see the Persona 4 : Golden LP going on right now.

(Also while I think skill is the expected norm I don't think people will rag on you if you show everything.)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 28, 2013

Tiri
Oct 14, 2012
In my opinion, I would say that one of the main goals of an LP is to show off the baseline experience of the game in question. A New Game+ is usually more of an endgame/post-endgame experience; things will be much easier, and a great deal of advancement will have already been done for you, hindering the viewer's perception of progress being made. For a lot of games, clawing your way up from uselessness to godliness is an important part.

There are exceptions to this, but that's the kind of thing that should be considered on a case-by-case basis; it's hard to give a catch-all verdict on something like this. You've gotta decide whether New Game+ spoils too much, or if the LP would otherwise be far too slow, or incomplete. (And then there's the issue of entire game modes that are locked until New Game+....)

There's always the option of showing off the introductory gameplay in normal mode, and then switching to New Game+ once it becomes clear to the viewers that things should speed up a little.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Tiri posted:

In my opinion, I would say that one of the main goals of an LP is to show off the baseline experience of the game in question.

I'd disagree with this. I'd say the goal of LPs is to show the game in the manner you think most fitting/enjoyable.

Accounting Nightmare's runs of DMC were all in difficulty levels she had to unlock, essentially NG+es, and by doing so really improved the viewing experience.

If doing a NG+ is the way you think best lets you show off the aspects of the game you want to show then go for it.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Mr. Vile posted:

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Great to see someone is doing Eternal Darkness! I'm not an expert in video editing but from what I saw, everything looked great. The black bars on the side didn't bother me though I'm sure someone will get annoyed by them.

Small things but during the dream sequence with Alex around 1:45, I would recommend explaining what is going on during that combat segment. You don't have to launch into a full-blown explanation on the combat but a simple, "Hey, she's dreaming. This segment is pretty simple and you shouldn't have to worry about it," would suffice.

I like the minimal commentary approach but if you wanted to preserve the atmosphere of the game, you could do that with subtitles. Not saying I don't like your commentary or anything but that's another option.

Definitely want to take a minute to explain the combat of the game. Given how removing certain limbs impacts combat it is worth touching on.

ReturnOfFable fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'd really like to know more about people's workflows for screenshot LPs.

I'm sure there's got to be some tips and tricks that would speed that lengthy process up.
Who takes screenshots from videos, what programs other than Irfanview are involved, how do you write the updates, what order do you do everything in, etc. (Someone mentioned something about having BBcode functions in a Notepad style program on the other page and I still really want to know what that was about.)

• Locked thread