Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

This sure took a turn.

We're going to need a bigger :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Neruz posted:

And everything we are made out of; every element in our world and every atom that makes us up is star poop.

Most helium is Big Bang poop. :eng101:

edit: But most terrestrial helium is alpha poop from heavy radioactive isotopes.

Male Man fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 12, 2013

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Male Man posted:

Most helium is Big Bang poop. :eng101:

edit: But most terrestrial helium is alpha poop from heavy radioactive isotopes.

Isn't only hydrogen Big Bang poop? I thought everything heavier than hydrogen came later.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Neruz posted:

Isn't only hydrogen Big Bang poop? I thought everything heavier than hydrogen came later.

It was a pretty big bang. I'm sure there is some purestrain helium out there.

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man

Neruz posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang_nucleosynthesis

75% hydrogen-1, 25% helium-4, small amounts of H-2, lithium and beryllium.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
So, excuse me, but I'm going to interrupt this absolutely dreadful discussion to give some special content. I doubt anybody's going to mind.

I solved your puzzle, Dia-bee-tus.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, excuse me, but I'm going to interrupt this absolutely dreadful discussion to give some special content. I doubt anybody's going to mind.

Cool video but you should mark it a spoiler because it does give away some future game features that should probably be kept hidden.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This has nothing to do with the biochemical makeup of hot peppers or poop, but it has something to do with Mario. My college decided to make an "M" (the letter it starts with) made out of flowers on one end of the campus. The college's colors are red and silver. The result is pretty much what you'd expect.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

No, I'm expecting the front part of Starship Mario's hat to stick out from the ground there. :colbert:

Honestly, this is quite neat. I think it's funny to see video game stuff end up in real life somehow.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Looks more like a Kirby M Tomato to me, only with the colors sorta inverted.

EDIT: No I'm just an idiot it's clearly Mario

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Just an FYI about Nintendo LPs hosted on youtube. I noticed that the early parts have ads on them now.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/nintendo-takes-legal-action-against-its-own-community-claims-rights-over-yo

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Asiina posted:

Just an FYI about Nintendo LPs hosted on youtube. I noticed that the early parts have ads on them now.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/nintendo-takes-legal-action-against-its-own-community-claims-rights-over-yo

From the looks of Diabetus's twitter I'm definitely sure he's well aware. This is also the discussion in the Sandcastle (and many other places) so this is probably news to very few people.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't even get how this works :psyduck: And you say there's something like it in Zelda too?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hmm, that's interesting, actually. Probably not a big thing for anyone on SA, but I imagine the LPers who actually rely on the ad revenue to any extent are pissed. I can see both sides really, and it's one thing that Nintendo are not asking Google and others to remove the videos, just allow them to profit from use of their stuff. The counter argument is that the LP itself is a form of advertising, and thus they're already benefiting, because it's getting eyes on their product, plus the revenue from the ads is going to be quite low, so they're being petty on that level.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 17, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Color Printer posted:

I don't even get how this works :psyduck: And you say there's something like it in Zelda too?

When you hit the Reset button on the Wii (hardware or Home Menu), it doesn't actually do anything at the system level. It just tells the app that's running "oh hey, the user pressed the Reset button, you might want to do something about that". In the case of the Zelda engine's case, it does a fade-out to black and then tries to reset the game state to the title screen. It turns out that if you die in a void (where you hear the whoosh sound and respawn) in the few frames it's trying to reset to the title screen, the game tries to respawn you on the title screen, and a bunch of shenanigans can happen — this is known as the Back in Time glitch, and it exists in Tetra-engine Zelda games (Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword). Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword speedruns use this in weird ways — in Twilight Princess, you get a weird save file that lets you skip some parts of the game, and in Skyward Sword, you can set your character's coordinates to any of the save statues on the map, allowing you to warp over parts of the map. I have videos about this for Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword on my YouTube channel if you want to see them.

It turns out that a similar glitch exists in Super Mario Galaxy 2. I go into more detail in video, but if you reset in a specific 2-frame window after getting a Game Over, the game will for some reason spawn items in weird places for the first zone of a planet (it's not necessarily the same places that the level normally puts them. I assume that walls, both invisible and visible, push the items around). It basically means you can get items in levels that they normally appear, assuming the items are fairly close to where you spawn.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

You say it's not known because it doesn't really help speedrunners, is there no way to make it push stars around to places they shouldn't be with that glitch?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh, whoops, I forgot to mention that the glitch only affects Layer0, which only contains coins and items. Goal stars, warp stars, NPCs, enemies, etc. are on Layer1, and other stuff is on other layers (platforms, level-specific gimmicks, gravity controllers, etc.)

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Ah, alright.

Azriel Odin
Jun 3, 2011

Somehow I knew this was gonna happen.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I go into more detail in video, but if you reset in a specific 2-frame window after getting a Game Over, the game will for some reason spawn items in weird places for the first zone of a planet
That sounds like something that needed crazy researches (or pretty big luck) to find out, and that now needs crazy precision to accomplish on the real hardware :psyduck: . Kudos for that, it's pretty impressive.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Azriel Odin posted:

That sounds like something that needed crazy researches (or pretty big luck) to find out, and that now needs crazy precision to accomplish on the real hardware :psyduck: . Kudos for that, it's pretty impressive.

There are no limits to the lengths people will go in order to break a system. Give someone a system to operate in and eventually they will always try and see what the limits of the system are and what happens to the system when they exceed those limits; tis human nature.

It might take awhile; some famous bugs\tricks in games were discovered years or even a decade after release, but someone will always find it in the end. Always.

Dr. Roy
Apr 17, 2013
On the subject of the spring mushroom, I'm more of a fan of how the general concept was carried out in Voodoo Vince. If I remember correctly, there was one level where you had to get in a spring, and once you were in you were constantly bouncing, but the crucial thing is that they erred on the side of moving slowly, which made the level drag on a bit, but never ever resulted in feeling like you weren't in control of your character or like one wrong push of the control stick could send you careening into the abyss.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Neruz posted:

There are no limits to the lengths people will go in order to break a system. Give someone a system to operate in and eventually they will always try and see what the limits of the system are and what happens to the system when they exceed those limits; tis human nature.

It might take awhile; some famous bugs\tricks in games were discovered years or even a decade after release, but someone will always find it in the end. Always.

This is getting off-topic but the history of the Ocarina of Time speedrun is amazing, and it all happened after around 2006.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Azriel Odin posted:

I originally found this on a random YouTube camcorder video called something like "SMG2 WTF ITEMS??" or a dumb title like that back when I was searching for glitch videos when the game came out, so I'm quite sure the guy found it by luck. A week ago, I spent some time TASing the trick with Dolphin, a very accurate Gamecube / Wii emulator, to figure out how big the frame window is.

The layer stuff is because there's an active SMG research community for the purpose of building a ROM hack of it, and they published a document of it. The website that the documentation is on is down right now, but try this link a bit later, maybe?

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004

:mario: Part XX - Prankster Comets again! :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: slowbeef)

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004

Diabetus posted:

:mario: Part XX - Prankster Comets again! :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: slowbeef)

We talk about the recent Nintendo news but if you wanna sound off on it, post it in this thread instead of here.

e: oops double post...I've been prankster comet-ed!!!!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
omg Diabetus stop double posting you shitposter.

I was never very fond of the prankster comets, they all feel pretty dull and repetitive to me. "Do this thing you already did, but with SHADOW PEOPLE!" Never really did it for me.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Neruz posted:

I was never very fond of the prankster comets, they all feel pretty dull and repetitive to me. "Do this thing you already did, but with SHADOW PEOPLE!" Never really did it for me.
They were a lot worse in the first Galaxy.

I actually just finished replaying the first half of Galaxy 2, and I'm needing some Galaxy goodness so bad I'm playing through the Galaxy 1 levels again. Man, that game just feels so unpolished compared to this one. It's still a loving ingenious game, but if Galaxy 1 had been like Galaxy 2, then it would have been heralded as the greatest innovation in platforming since Super Mario 64, instead of just a very good game.

poo poo, I hope whatever they do for the WiiU is as good as Galaxy 2.

Cool Chulainn
Sep 5, 2011

Who's up for a game of Swords & Speedballs?
Prankster comets are great; my babygames need more extra challenges. :colbert:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cool Chulainn posted:

Prankster comets are great; my babygames need more extra challenges. :colbert:

It'd be nice if instead of prankster comets being "Do this thing you've done before but with a restriction" thing they were a "Do a romhack hard version of this level that our level designers made because they hate you and everything you love." thing.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
The prankster comets, especially the cosmic clone and daredevil comets, get much more interesting in the later worlds. Yes, some even manage to boost an already tough world into "romhack hard" territory, just through those restrictions, imho.
Without spoiling too much, cosmic clones + tight spaces + timed obstacles = :gonk:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 28, 2013

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's still a loving ingenious game, but if Galaxy 1 had been like Galaxy 2, then it would have been heralded as the greatest innovation in platforming since Super Mario 64, instead of just a very good game.

I'm pretty sure Galaxy 1 was heralded as such. Galaxy 2 was simply so much better in every way that it only looks bad in comparison.

Well, maybe not every way. Where's my Ice Flower Nintendo? :colbert:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

CandyCrazy posted:

I'm pretty sure Galaxy 1 was heralded as such. Galaxy 2 was simply so much better in every way that it only looks bad in comparison.

Well, maybe not every way. Where's my Ice Flower Nintendo? :colbert:
All I wish is that Galaxy had done for the platformer what Halo did for the FPS, which is repopularize it for the console market. But nope, Call of Duty still rules over the industry.
The best thing they did with the Ice Flower in Galaxy was wall-jumping up waterfalls, and this game had that. Also, ice-skating.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
I really like the idea behind the Cosmic Clones, but I always feel like the level designers always feel a need to throw in a segment where you have to wait for something, just to give them a chance to catch up to you. And then, to avoid them, you skirt back and forth across the level like you're running a lawnmower and it just kills the flow the game.

KingEffingFrost fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 28, 2013

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What Diabeetus didn't show off is that once the timer in the speed run levels goes under 10 seconds, the bomb collar fastened around Mario's neck begins to beep louder and louder with each passing second.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

• Subspace Emissary (and Brawl as a whole) was good and I will not hear otherwise.
  • I found the Prankster Comet in Chompworks was harder than the star where you use the Spring Mushroom.
  • Is a count of 69 lives going to be in every video from here on out? That's fine by me.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It's great if you like nonsensical plots. :colbert:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I liked Subspace Emissary until I found out the last level is a bad Metroidvania that lasts way too loving long.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Subspace Emissary was worth it for exactly three things:

1. Ness, Lucas and the Pokemon Trainer being the entire lineup for a stage, since they were all essentially made by the same people.
2. Captain Falcon's introduction.
3. The entire universe is saved by the great hero King Dedede.

It could do whatever the hell it wanted to after those events, and the rest was generally a solid passing grade, but those parts made it.

Oh, also it being the origin of the only good scene in Other M.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Cleretic posted:

Oh, also it being the origin of the only good scene in Other M.

You're going to have to explain this one, because I don't remember any good scenes in Other M, let alone ones reminiscent of Smash Bros.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

You're going to have to explain this one, because I don't remember any good scenes in Other M, let alone ones reminiscent of Smash Bros.

On review I was misremembering Ridley's introduction cutscene in Other M, which I thought included Ridley picking Samus up and grinding her against the wall of a circular room, in the same way he arrived in the Subspace Emissary. I just re-watched the scene though, and while it does look like Ridley's doing that in a couple of shots, that's just because of some poor direction in the cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Smoking Crow posted:

It's great if you like nonsensical plots. :colbert:
Look at this guy. I bet you don't like Axe Cop either.

• Locked thread