Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

enki42 posted:

Not to mention isotropic is hilariously bad for anyone new to Dominion. I can't count the number of times I've completely hosed up a game by doing something wrong on Isotropic.

Yeah, that too. iso was great if you were hardcore into Dominion but otherwise it was a very offputting interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ashenai posted:

Welp, here we loving go! Twilight Imperium, with (almost) all the fixin's. Mecatol Rex or bust!

Nimby, if you're still up for being my co-mod, the job is yours, and we'll talk more about how things will go during signups. Please check my OP to see if it looks okay, especially the optional rules!

I'm excited! :toot:

I will ponder. I've never played TI, definitely could want to, and just played an 8 hour game of 8 player advanced civ so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with longass games. Rough running time you're expecting to be, say, 6-9 months? How many times (on average) would you expect people to be able to log in?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Crackbone posted:

What's your beef with Goko? The "launch" last year was a disaster, but it's been cleaned up really well.

Iso played a lot better on my phone, had very well-implemented matchmaking with a ton of filters instead of an idiotic lobby-based system, and a much more active playerbase. The latter, of course, you can't really call Goko's fault-- of course more people are gonna play the free game than the one you have to pay for. But I still preferred Iso in almost every way mechanically, although I do concede that it might have been tricky to learn the game on for brand new players.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

silvergoose posted:

I will ponder. I've never played TI, definitely could want to, and just played an 8 hour game of 8 player advanced civ so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with longass games. Rough running time you're expecting to be, say, 6-9 months? How many times (on average) would you expect people to be able to log in?

I've never played or seen a PbP TI game, so I can only guess as to the running time. The game Delekhan linked to was about halfway done after six months, although it had long pauses. 6-9 months sounds about right? I really don't know.

Checking in at least once a day seems like a reasonable minimum.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gabbleduck posted:

If the overlord is losing easily in the first act is it likely that he'll continue losing? Or will it even out over time due to different challenges or something?

Generally speaking, the heroes get a much larger power boost over time than the Overlord, so yeah, your Overlord is pretty boned. They're not kidding when they say the OL should be the most experienced player - an OL who knows what monsters work with what map is pretty essential. Even then, I'm currently getting pasted in both the campaigns I'm running thanks to a run of bad luck.

I don't mind it, because I like the challenge of trying to stand up to the players, but a successful OL run tends to need certain cards and a very strong first Act.

I'm just very bitter at the moment

e: Your guy will get the best mileage out of the Unholy Ritual cards, and if he's started picking up Warlord cards then working towards Reinforce is a very good idea. Act II is generally more lethal for both sides - that favors the players, but gives you the option of spike damaging a hero down for bonus cards and to generally slow them down.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 27, 2013

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Played our first game of BSG last night. Let me tell you, with five newbies our first turns took for loving ever. By the end we'd sped up a lot, thankfully. We did mess up just about every rule at least once, though. It was fun, and us cylons pulled through in the end by the skin of our teeth.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Just played a game of Yedo today. It was pretty fun, but felt super random a lot of the time. Draw a mission card! Maybe you'll get one that'll net you 5 victory points and 20 coins that you already have all the prerequisites for! Or maybe you'll get the one that costs you 8 coins to perform, but only earns you 7! Oh, you don't have the right equipment for any of your missions? Well, better hope you randomly draw something better! How about you try for an objective card? I hope you don't draw the one that gets you a meagre 3 points for performing the most Theft missions, when whether you drew any Theft missions in the first place is completely random!

There is some luck mitigation to prevent you from drawing blind, but I can't see myself playing it more than one or two more times, unless there's some rhyme or reason that I overlooked. Interesting game, but fairly flawed due to how much of luck-fest it is.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I made similar points when I reviewed Yedo myself. There is some mitigation, in that there's pick 3, keep 1 for the auction, but yeah, it's pretty goddamn random. Nevermind that you have no idea what other people are going for, or what cards they have, or what objectives they might have drawn, or what they might be interested in on a particular turn (since it's based on their missions). There's comparisons to Lords of Waterdeep due to the missions you get, but I think that Yedo really just tries to go full flavour and it's pretty much the most ameritrashy worker placement game I have ever seen (not stating that as a bad thing, mind you).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Vlaada will be at Strategicon over Labor Day! I respect him a lot as a designer even though I don't own any of his games anymore. Should be interesting.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Tekopo posted:

I made similar points when I reviewed Yedo myself. There is some mitigation, in that there's pick 3, keep 1 for the auction, but yeah, it's pretty goddamn random. Nevermind that you have no idea what other people are going for, or what cards they have, or what objectives they might have drawn, or what they might be interested in on a particular turn (since it's based on their missions). There's comparisons to Lords of Waterdeep due to the missions you get, but I think that Yedo really just tries to go full flavour and it's pretty much the most ameritrashy worker placement game I have ever seen (not stating that as a bad thing, mind you).

I actually had your review in mind when I played it. "Ameritrash Worker Placement" is pretty appropriate for what goes on. If that scratches an itch you're looking for then that's great, but I was somewhat less than thrilled by the game. There are more satisfying worker placement games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I was happy to sell Yedo at $60. It just seemed like a kitchen sink game to me. Waterdeep was in fact better than it, just for Waterdeep's simplicity.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Hey thread. Long time no see! I have decided to clear out a large portion of my game collection, including board games and RPGs, as well as quite a few graphic novels and manga.

Everything is on ebay for a dollar right now.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Ron Hitler-Barassi posted:

Re: Games Paradise

Got up this morning to check e-mail, they had sent me the postal tracking number finally, which listed the parcel at my local post office, went down there and to my shock everything was complete.

Tomorrow I can start trying to get my store credit refund in line with their 'ship within five business days guarantee'.

All told, I ordered on the 2nd of May, and it didn't actually leave their store till the 24th, despite being in stock the whole time and it not being a sale period or anything.

I called them on Friday, was told that my order would be posted and arrive on Monday. It did not.

I called yesterday and was told the same thing. After calling today, it seems that it should arrive in the post this afternoon, they said they don't have a tracking number from AusPost but it is indeed on its way. I asked about the store credit in the same phone call and a few minutes after hanging up the phone found that my account was credited.

Now to spend that store credit on the 20% off sale and wait even longer for delivery.

Edit: It did not arrive today. :argh:

Danoss fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 28, 2013

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
loving hell, this took forever to sort:

And now all I need to do is continue reading the rulebook :negative:

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I just want to come over and dive bomb that couch or bed all that poo poo is sitting on.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
That would give me a heart attack.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Trynant posted:

A cat would have a field day. It's like they have a sixth sense that tells them when something tiny needs to be spilled over.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
Did you clip all the corners? If not get back to work.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

BGG, you never cease to be entertaining :allears:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kiranamos posted:

BGG, you never cease to be entertaining :allears:
I played Rialto over the weekend. It was pretty bad, and this is coming from someone who enjoys all of Stefan Feld's other recent games.

There just aren't any interesting decisions to make throughout the course of the game. You pick up some cards, play most of them, and score some points. I'm oversimplifying it a little, of course, but I just didn't find anything to love about the game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Why anyone would compare the two is beyond me. I like Rialto, but it's no Dominant Species by any stretch of the imagination. WTF?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

How many different ways are there to score points?

About the only time I can kind of accept the way that you score points in a Feld game is In The Year of the Dragon, but I mostly like that game for the sense of pressure and limited choice of actions. I don't think I've enjoyed any other Feld games.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Trynant posted:

I've been there and stolen one of the counters. You'll never know which one :unsmigghh:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
What are the thoughts on Summoner Wars? I am tempted to get it.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

LumberingTroll posted:

It's fun, try it on an apple device and see if you like it.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

LumberingTroll posted:

It's a really solid game. All of the factions are varied and seem pretty well balanced, the games are short but usually pretty intense, and it's really easy to pick up, teach, and play.

The one aspect you might not like is that units roll dice when they attack. While there are some spells and racial abilities that can help mitigate the luck factor, there will still be some games you play where one player just gets absolutely screwed by bad dice rolls.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
While we're asking for opinions, has anyone here played the admittedly-more-rare-than-Summoner Wars game, RRR? It sounds really cool, and I need a good, short two player game, but it's not the easiest game to find information on.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Aerox posted:

It's a really solid game. All of the factions are varied and seem pretty well balanced, the games are short but usually pretty intense, and it's really easy to pick up, teach, and play.

The one aspect you might not like is that units roll dice when they attack. While there are some spells and racial abilities that can help mitigate the luck factor, there will still be some games you play where one player just gets absolutely screwed by bad dice rolls.

Awesome, I am a wargamer as well so this doesn't bother me at all. I will check out the ios app first as 4oo5 suggests. but Ill probably end up buying :D Thanks guys!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

LumberingTroll posted:

Mage Wars is completely better if you're looking for a heavy, meatier game. If you want something much lighter, pick-up and play, then Summoner takes the nod.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I also like the Dungeon Command series more than Summoner Wars. Summoner War is barely a step up from Small World. Dungeon Command at least has terrain effects.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So I have only enough money for either Agricola or Catan with one expansion; which would be better for my group of friends that have only played (and loved) Dominion?

Also, what's the general opinion on Small World?

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

radlum posted:

So I have only enough money for either Agricola or Catan with one expansion; which would be better for my group of friends that have only played (and loved) Dominion?

I want Agricola but it may not be a good fit for some people who have only played Dominion.

I bought Smallworld recently and have already played it quite a few times already. My wife has been talking about it nonstop and she doesn't really get into board games too much.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

radlum posted:

Catan is easier but I would vote for Agricola personally.
Small world is alright but it's pretty repetitive. It's a super simple territory claiming game. Might be a good bridge to deeper games but I'd skip it.

Edit: if ou have an iPad you can try small world and Agricola should be out soon too.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Small World is fine when played casually, but (for my group at least) it had real problems after a few competitive games. The end would usually come down to a political screwfest (ie. attack this guy because he's in the lead, repeat, and in the end it's pretty much luck that wins). Catan has a similar problem (the game can become dominated by the valid strategy of: don't trade with him, he has 8 VP.. now we're all tied again). Catan also has big luck thresholds that can dominate and make for unsatisfying games.

They're not bad games, but based on your group liking Dominion (and what games you're considering), my gut says neither would be a good fit. I think Agricola is a good choice here, and has many similar qualities to Dominion (low politics, low luck) while being very different mechanically. Other games I'd consider: 7 Wonders (drafting), Glen More (light empire building with some clever mechanics), Trajan (multipart Euro game with a mixture of mechanics), or Caylus (heavier worker placement).

Some more general suggestions: if you have enough players (6 or more), pretty much every group should get Resistance: Avalon. If you want more direct conflict than you're getting in Dominion, perhaps try Tigris & Euphrates or thread favorite Chaos in the Old World. If you feel like a thematic co-op game would work well, maybe check out Space Alert or Sentinels of the Multiverse.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
If you want to ease folks in, you can always play the family game rules for Agricola (mostly, this skips the decks. The decks are the best part of Agricola, but do complicate things significantly.). But I definitely think it's a better game and it's likely to have a lot more longevity than Catan. Though you never know. There's a local guy who pushes for Catan every time he shows up at the gaming party I attend.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The key to Small World strategy is by stealthily making money in the race queue. I've had games where all the other players constantly ganged up on me, but since I was raking in serious VP by never paying for races (races that usually had money on them), I tend to win.

The game isn't balanced until you add all the mini-expansions, though, and it is pretty 2009. Nobody wants to spend more than 45 minutes playing a game that isn't amazing.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Thanks a lot; I'm going to give Agricola a chance. Also, reading about Glen More, it sounds rather interesting; I'll add it to my list for next time I have some disposable income. I'll get 7 Wonders after that, I played it a couple of times and really liked it. I played Resistance in a group of 10 people and I loved it, but I don't know if it could work as well with a small group of about 5.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Wait, so Glory to Rome was rebooted as Uchronia :aaaaa:

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I've never had that much fun with Small World. The games always felt flat - you're pretty much doing the same thing at the end of the game that you did at the beginning, and then it suddenly ends, and you count up points. I'd rather play a conflict game with more exciting battles and map maneuvers, or a euro with more interesting strategies and mechanics. Small World is not exactly the worst of both worlds, but it's not the best either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

wafflesnsegways posted:

I've never had that much fun with Small World. The games always felt flat - you're pretty much doing the same thing at the end of the game that you did at the beginning, and then it suddenly ends, and you count up points. I'd rather play a conflict game with more exciting battles and map maneuvers, or a euro with more interesting strategies and mechanics. Small World is not exactly the worst of both worlds, but it's not the best either.

This is pretty close to my opinion on it. I get sick of it about 3 turns in.

• Locked thread