Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Yeah, the new webkit Opera for Android just went "final" and is being pushed out as a replacement for what was called "Opera Mobile" before.

The current version is considerably better than the beta, but I really don't think it's ready for prime time. There's no Opera Link, it's really loving slow and unresponsive on older phones, you get "this page had a problem" quite a bit (although hitting reload usually gets it back), and lots of other annoying little problems.

There's a lot of backlash in the app reviews, not surprisingly.

I backed up the old Opera Mobile with Titanium before I got the new version and I may roll back until the new version improves (or I upgrade to a phone which can run Chrome).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's still on the WebKit branch - not Blink - for what it's worth. That's yet to come.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Yea, I did not realize they were going to replace opera mobil 12 with the new one and got auto updated. I rolled with it yesterday but just grabbed a 12.1.4 apk. The new one is too laggy when scrolling. Not bad otherwise, just too slow.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I don't suppose there's an image zoom feature for Opera? I really miss my imagezoom addon in chrome.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Opera zooms for the whole page, not just a part of it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Heresiarch posted:

Yeah, the new webkit Opera for Android just went "final" and is being pushed out as a replacement for what was called "Opera Mobile" before.
[snip]
There's no Opera Link

Yeah, I'm actually thinking why exactly should I keep on using Opera, if there is no Link (and I've also started using incognito mode in Chrome lately). Does Off-road mode work any more reliably than Turbo? Because in my experience if the network is good, then pages just load and if it's bad, then Opera cannot connect to the turbo servers. I think that is pretty much the only distinguishing feature in Opera for Android. Especially since the "Discover" page doesn't have Finland as a country choice in it (Not that I'd use it, but...)

And holy poo poo, "History" is almost an anti-feature to me.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
The off-road mode basically turns it into Opera Mini, which isn't a bad thing. I've had good results with it but ymmv etc.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Riso posted:

Opera zooms for the whole page, not just a part of it.

I know, but I specifically mean hoverzooming- there's this extension for chrome that lets you just hover over a linked image, which is preferable. I haven't found any add ons in Opera for that, though. Poo.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

Sociopastry posted:

I know, but I specifically mean hoverzooming- there's this extension for chrome that lets you just hover over a linked image, which is preferable. I haven't found any add ons in Opera for that, though. Poo.

ImgTip does this, if I understand what you mean correctly.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

There is now "Opera Mobile Classic" on the Google Play store. A good decision, I think.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!
You can also download Opera Mobile Labs: http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/extensions-opera-mobile-labs/

You have to side-load it, but it has support for extensions as well. Having Ghostery on mobile is nice.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Relating to my near constant complaints about Opera (Not Responding), I was doing my routine check of Opera Forums suggestions to this problem and it led to this fix. I've been using it for a day and it has been substantial in terms of improving responsiveness. Even when I do get Not Responding moments they clear quickly. If you're on the ropes like I was with this problem and don't mind a regedit fix, it's worth looking into.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/81c2f50b-077e-459e-a351-7a983c8bbb66

quote:

Core parking was in fact the issue! I actually solved it another way, for the method Jarrett.Ridlinghafer proposed unfortunately did not work for me. (I searched for "core parking" in regedit, removed all entries, shutdown/rebooted, but the hanging was still there.)

This is how I disabled core parking in Win7:

1. Search for 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 in regedit

2. Make sure MinValue and MaxValue are both 0.

3. Repeat every time that string shows up.

4. Reboot.

To double check, just open Resource Monitor and make sure all CPUs on the right side are running at 100%, i.e. none are "parked." For some reason I have two cores but it shows 4 CPUs... oh well, the more the better.

Hope this helps! It certainly worked like a charm for me, and all power plans are now functional (Balanced, Energy Star, High Performance, etc). I read elsewhere that Windows 7 Home Premium has some sort of core parking bug that's nonexistent or fixed in Pro and Ultimate. But now Home works for me so no point in handing over more cash to Microsoft.

I presume this will mess with the power efficiency of the system but I'm plugged in and it was approaching unusability with the number of tabs I frequently have open at a time.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Don't mess with the registry, modify the power profile with this instead http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

flappin fish posted:

ImgTip does this, if I understand what you mean correctly.

Rad! Thanks, dude. just what I wanted.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Riso posted:

Don't mess with the registry, modify the power profile with this instead http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php

Thanks, that's smooth and the less I regedit the better.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Opera 15 just dropped in Next: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/opera-next-15-0-released

They're also pulling the mail functionality from the browser and making it into its own program. Interesting...

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Whoa whoa whoa, no Mail? As in no RSS Feeds? That's odd, but I wasn't planning on switching over wholesale right away anyway. It's weird to me because I always thought they should expand Mail (well, the Feed portion of it anyway), and I've always preferred it to using Google Reader or any of the other browsers' systems. There's not even a trash system for Feeds!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

What else has changed except for removing the mail clent? The product information page they link to "For all the latest information on the features" is useless. Also :laffo: at suddenly skipping two major version numbers.

e:
Here are some quotes from the comments:

quote:

No searches.
No skins.
No main menu.
No detailed settings via opera:config.
No site-specific settings.
No browser or site specific proxy setting, just taken from the system.

I can't set the start page? Seriously???

quote:

- Favicons in the address bar are gone again.
- Tabs cannot be moved to the left
- Site specific settings hidden
- Opera Link?

quote:

No mail, no dragonfly, no side-tabs, no IRC...

quote:

First, what I liked:
- Speed
- Compatibility
- Some Extensions already available

What I didn't like:
- no M2 integration - BIG issue for me
- no Notes - I've got 10 years of notes in my old Opera
- no rocker gestures
- few settings
- no UI customization possible (move buttons, use full skins)
- no advanced statusbar
- upgrade from 12.15-Next didn't import bookmarks, speed dial, wand and so on

No rocker gestures.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 28, 2013

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, :wtf: are they smoking? Some of that can be dismissed as bug/limitation of an early version (moving tabs left) but it seems that they just deliberately gutted a bunch of nice and useful features.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Skipping two version levels is hilarious. Why on earth do browsers have this insane version number contest amongst each other?

We're now up to Opera 15, Firefox 23, Internet Explorer 11 and Chrome 27. Those are version numbers of their newest betas.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

- no UI customization possible (move buttons, use full skins)
Isn't this like 90% of the reason anyone still uses Opera over Chrome or Firefox? :raise:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Here is a better link of what has changed:
http://my.opera.com/ODIN/blog/2013/05/28/a-first-peek-at-opera-15-for-computers

Asimo posted:

Isn't this like 90% of the reason anyone still uses Opera over Chrome or Firefox? :raise:

Basically I think it can be summarised like this: If Opera is similar to other browsers, why use Opera?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
What.

Why would they even call it Opera. This is the worst joke.

I'm actually reading the blog update and while i expected to be baffled i'm genuinely surprised by how much it appalls me, on a silly, irrational "it's just a stupid computer program, why would an adult even care that much" level.

Not sure about the stash thing (seems like an earlier "tab safe" extension) or the public bookmark discover stuff, but it also invalidated all existing extensions?

quote:

Other features missing from the first release of Opera based on Chromium will be evaluated and potentially re-instated in future releases.
This is PR lingo for "don't hold your loving breath" isn't it?

edit: Comments indicate that these are also missing:

quote:

cached image,
ctrl+click to save images,
blocked content
detailed statusbar stats

quote:

Ctrl+U does not bring up the "classic View Source", Opera's view source mode allowed developers modify the source of the page reload it, which was great for quickly debugging problems.
Huh.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 28, 2013

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Wheany posted:

Basically I think it can be summarised like this: If Opera is similar to other browsers, why use Opera?

RoadCrewWorker posted:

This is PR lingo for "don't hold your loving breath" isn't it?
Pretty much.

Ah well. Is there any way to make firefox open a new tab with ctrl+n instead of ctrl+t, because this is 2013 for gently caress's sake and I'm going to open tabs about a thousand times more often than I am windows? :sigh:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Wow. I didn't even know about the Ctrl+U (view source page) that enabled you to directly apply the changes in the source code -or if I knew I somehow forgot- and now I'm missing it already.

I am glad they released this Next version, to see where Opera is heading to (and it's not all bad), but I'll be furious if the stable release is just small security/stability fixes upon this one. Let it take them six months of snapshot builds, I don't care; there's a lot of features that need to come back or be optimized to work as well as in the 12.15 (or 11.64 build). All or most of them already stated in the blog posts comments section. I do want a decent bookmarks manager back, wand password manager, quick tab switching, per page settings, keyboard and mouse shortcuts customization, links manager, opera link to name but a few.

I don't care that much about separating the M2 client. I only used the RSS reader/manager feature, so I am unhappy about that, but this will probably come back (I don't think they are that fixed on not having a such a basic browsing feature).

However, wasn't Opera supposed to be sort of a "swiss army knife" kind of browser? Wasn't the future of browsers supposed to be an application that would fit all/most of your web related needs?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Not sure about the stash thing (seems like an earlier "tab safe" extension) or the public bookmark discover stuff, but it also invalidated all existing extensions?

I'm not sure what the difference between this stash thing and bookmarks even is.

Edit: from reading that blog entry, that is. I didn't download the snapshot.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I use Opera Mail :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think I agree with whatever comments-poster who said they need to post some type of roadmap. It's fine to put out something missing most of the distinctive features if people at least know they're going to come back, but folks aren't going to hold out for something they don't know will happen.

I just want a functional rendering engine with tabs on the left side and stacking/pinning; why is this so hard? :sigh: I'm pretty sure I can live without almost everything else. Mouse gestures would be next on the list.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
I just want a browser that can be set to scroll pages by pressing right mouse button+mouse wheel like Opera supports but no other browser supports that and Opera 15 doesn't either, goddamn.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

Kassad posted:

I'm not sure what the difference between this stash thing and bookmarks even is.

Edit: from reading that blog entry, that is. I didn't download the snapshot.

Instead of bookmarks you now have a stash - which, if you actually have a lot of bookmarks, is pretty much unusable.

Bad things (that haven't been mentioned yet)
No more ctrl+z to reopen closed pages. ctrl+z is now ctrl+shift+t.
No more ctrl+enter to fill in the www and .com of a domain name.
Close buttons on all tabs, with no way to remove them.
No more bookmarks, just stash.
Speed Dial now has an even bigger Google search bar. The address bar has acted as a search bar for years; we never needed the search bar there at all.
The menu of recently closed pages includes Speed Dial pages :doh:

Unfortunately, if this release follows their release cycle over the past few years, they won't be putting many (any?) of the missing features back.

Lakitu7 posted:

Mouse gestures would be next on the list.

Mouse gestures, at least, are there and feel like they should to me.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

flappin fish posted:

Instead of bookmarks you now have a stash - which, if you actually have a lot of bookmarks, is pretty much unusable.

Well, they say Speed Dial (which now has folders) is meant to replace bookmarks, and stash is a separate thing (which I can't see the point of, because I leave things open in tabs so I remember about them, if I didn't want to leave them open I'd bookmark them).

Kind of interesting how varying people's 'I can't use Opera without this' lists are but I guess that's in line with the swiss army knife comment above.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

quote:

Just like on Opera 14 for Android, we've merged bookmarks into Speed Dial, which give you a visual overview of your favorite pages. You can now group Speed Dials together into folders, just by dragging one on top of the other — if you want, you can name the folder via a simple right-click.

What the hell does this mean? How do you merge bookmarks and speed dial? Does this mean that all bookmarks will now appear on the speed dial page whether you want them to or not?

quote:

Do you sometimes find yourself browsing the web, and coming across pages you want to save for later — e.g. a list of favorite gadgets on Amazon, or a selection of hotels on a booking site? This always posed a problem in the past, and many were using their tab bar to hold tabs for later use. With Opera 15, you can Stash a page, and return to it when you have time.

Isn't this what bookmarks are for? How is "Stashing" something different from bookmarking it?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

flappin fish posted:

Mouse gestures, at least, are there and feel like they should to me.

That's good. I swear one of the random user comments I read said otherwise. I admit I won't get to try it until I get home from work today. But in this case I was more trying to list the main things I care about in a browser, generally.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, the army knife attitude was the strongest appeal for me, but

quote:

Opera 15 doesn't include the M2 mail client. Not all current Opera customers use M2, so to simplify the UI even further and reduce the footprint of the program, we've decided to split it out into a separate product
indicates that this isn't what they're going for anymore.

I'm not sure i get this particular line of reasoning, since you've been able to use startup parameters or configuration to disable rss or mail functionality and remove all corresponding elements from the UI for years.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah, the army knife attitude was the strongest appeal for me, but

indicates that this isn't what they're going for anymore.

I'm not sure i get this particular line of reasoning, since you've been able to use startup parameters or configuration to disable rss or mail functionality and remove all corresponding elements from the UI for years.

What it actually means is "We are reskinning Chrome and it does not have a mail client"

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

It's gone. It's all gone :( My attempts at mashing opera 9.2 compatible keyboard shortcuts were futile. Looks like I'm stuck on Opera 12 for the rest of my life

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
What is the point of this?
We already have a dumbed down browser with webkit for people and it is called CHROME.

There is no sidebar, tab groups, bookmarks bar, notes, per site preferences, load plugins on demand, or content blocking. As a bonus they are using the lovely Chrome font rendering.

That's a total waste of time for me, I might as well use IE10.

Edit: It actually crashes on uninstall.

Riso fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 28, 2013

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Well at least it looks like Opera Link is getting a make-over, which is only something like three years overdue.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ufarn posted:

Well at least it looks like Opera Link is getting a make-over, which is only something like three years overdue.

The monkey's paw curse is that you have to use Opera 15 to use it.

That version number just annoys me so much. You just couldn't go with opera 13 because it's the unlucky number, right? Oh wait, this year is Opera's 15 year anniversary or something, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

I actually switched to Chrome for daily use a while back and Opera 15 is actually impressing the hell out of me. It is insanely quick and I like the new UI a lot. Most of the features from Opera 12 that are missing weren't that important to me because I lost them when I switched to Chrome anyway, although I understand why other folks would be upset.

And it does have plugins-on-demand, by the way. Chrome's had that for a while and this is a similar implementation.

I suspect that Opera are hoping/expecting/praying that a lot of their old features that were used by a limited audience (like the notes system) will be replicated through extensions, since you can apparently port Chrome extensions fairly easily. I understand that as a business decision but it does kind of suck for those people who were using them.