Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So after hearing nonstop praise about this series decided to momentarily skip 999 (as I can't find any copies around here) and try the demo out for this game.

I can't even figure out what I'm doing and the controls are so bad and gosh I don't think I'm cut out for games like this. (I'm trying out the vita version for what it's worth). Think I should probably stick to the LP

I assume it's in one of the puzzle rooms and not "how do I advance text". You're trying to pan around the room with a d-stick rather than the touchscreen, aren't you? I've tried that a few times and it too easily locks on moving up/down rather than to the side. Main thing to note for the touchscreen is that to look left you drag the screen right, which keeps throwing me off even though it makes sense (but is counter to Kid Icarus for example). I get left/right on the inventory buttons backwards as well; my brain is hard-wired to different navigational conventions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

asymmetrical posted:

So I'm the only one who hates Zero III and its voice, loathes the puns and nicknames, and have 0 interest in any of these characters?

Me when I played the demo. I wasn't expecting to like this nearly as much as 999, but now I'd rate it higher.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So after hearing nonstop praise about this series decided to momentarily skip 999 (as I can't find any copies around here) and try the demo out for this game.

I can't even figure out what I'm doing and the controls are so bad and gosh I don't think I'm cut out for games like this. (I'm trying out the vita version for what it's worth). Think I should probably stick to the LP

If you don't have a capacitive stylus, I'd recommend using the shoulder buttons and only touching to select stuff. Also, fwiw the demo level is probably my least favorite in the game due to all of the transitions.

Fallord fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 28, 2013

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

asymmetrical posted:

So I'm the only one who hates Zero III and its voice, loathes the puns and nicknames, and have 0 interest in any of these characters?

Nah, I don't know, but so far I'm not really that impressed.

999, while anime-ish, kept me hooked from start to end. This one is so far into wacky anime-land that I'm having a hard time relating to the characters and their cringeworthy dialogue.

I will keep following this hoping it gets better though.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

asymmetrical posted:

I'm not a fan of Zero III and the other characters I initially was kind of abmivalent on, but eventually I started liking them better. Some are better than 999's cast, some are worse.

In-game this has been, what, 20 minutes? You've barely been introduced to these people yet. There's 30~40 more hours to cover.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

tiistai posted:

In-game this has been, what, 20 minutes? You've barely been introduced to these people yet. There's 30~40 more hours to cover.

Yeah, remember that we're still deep in exposition-land. We haven't even started yet, so of course everything feels shallow and confusing. You don't go to a theme park and complain it's crap while you're waiting in line to buy tickets, let's go on a ride or two first.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I hope the game gets more and more 'anime.'

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Heya, just got in on this thread (I had to marathon the 999 LP first). Question: Do we know the ages of the characters? I mean, the game's pretty anime even compared to 999, which already had some age/appearance ratio shenanigans (See: Snake being in his twenties; Lotus being forty).

I mainly ask because of the "Grandpa" exchange from the first update, but also so it won't come out of left field if we later find out Quark's like thirty and the character artists assumed that was obvious (as with everyone giving Lotus poo poo for being old when she looks about nineteen).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

We got nothing. I think think anyone's ever mentioned an age. That said, it's a year after 999, so we at least know Clover's age?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Look, if it hasn't been mentioned in the LP yet, it's strictly speaking a spoiler, no matter how harmless it may seem or actually is.

Take K for example: revealing his age could potentially reveal whether or not he is, as some people here have speculated, actually a robot. He could be either 30 or 3 for all we know.

e: To add to this, just so you know, the EU 3DS booklet for this game is a single page with only basic controls and warranty information and the electronic manual isn't much more informative. No official extra information there.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 28, 2013

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

tiistai posted:

Look, if it hasn't been mentioned in the LP yet, it's strictly speaking a spoiler, no matter how harmless it may seem or actually is.

Take K for example: revealing his age could potentially reveal whether or not he is, as some people here have speculated, actually a robot. He could be either 30 or 3 for all we know.

Good point. I guess I'm crossing my wires with other, less-twisty, cast-driven LPs where stuff like character stats isn't of unknown importance. Consider the question dropped.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Sorites posted:

Heya, just got in on this thread (I had to marathon the 999 LP first). Question: Do we know the ages of the characters? I mean, the game's pretty anime even compared to 999, which already had some age/appearance ratio shenanigans (See: Snake being in his twenties; Lotus being forty).

I mainly ask because of the "Grandpa" exchange from the first update, but also so it won't come out of left field if we later find out Quark's like thirty and the character artists assumed that was obvious (as with everyone giving Lotus poo poo for being old when she looks about nineteen).
That would be a negative. Unlike 999, which had ages given to you on the Japanese site, VLR doesn't have any official ages on either variation of the site. Quark is mentioned to be 10 in descriptions and you can assume Clover is about a year older given the time gap between 999's end (2027) and VLR's start (late 2028), but that's about it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Eeriness]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Huh? No, wait!
We have questions! Of course we have questions!
What's the point of this game?!
Why did you take us?!
Where are we?!
And-- and who the hell is the real Zero!?

[Music fades out]

Five minutes remain until Chromatic Doors close.

VLR OST: [Strain]

You'd better hop to it and get those secondary doors open.

We aren't gonna open poo poo!
You can take your Lame-ary Game and shove it up your rear end!
If you think we're just gonna swallow your psychotic crap and play along, you've got another think coming, you smart-rear end little rodent!

Shut up!

Well, shoot... I thought you might say that.
Unfortunately, you have no choice but to follow the rules.

Why is that?

If anyone is left outside after they close, they'll...

They'll what?

They'll be penalized.

You keep saying that! What the hell is this "penalty" anyway?

Well...

[Music fades out]

VLR OST: [Consternation]

Your bracelet also has a bunch of needles on the inside.
If you break the rules, those needles hop out and inject you.

First is the Soporil, which puts you to sleep. Nine minutes later, the tubocurarine is injected, numbing your respiratory muscles.

I guess you could say it'll really take your breath away!

Oh, and I mean the real Zero, not me.

Isn't that just soooo compassionate? If I had a heart, it'd be melting right now.

Of course, none of that will happen if you just follow the rules...

Three minutes remain until Chromatic Doors close.

Good luck, guys!

See you all later!

Have a nice trap!

[Music fades out]

VLR OST: [Strain]

We need to go! We need to get through these other doors!

But... how do we figure out which door to go through?

You still don't get it? Fine. Just pay attention. We don't have much time.
Zero's explanation was pretty confusing, so let me put it in small words for you.

There are only three possible options.

Sigma and I pair up with Luna. Our red and her blue can open the magenta door.
That would mean Clover and K would go with Alice. Their green goes with her red to make yellow.
That just leaves Dio and Quark as the blue pair, and Tenmyouji as the green solo. The only door they can open is the cyan one.

Sigma and I go with Tenmyouji, so we can use red and green to make yellow for that door.
That means Clover and K pair up with Luna to open the cyan door.
This leaves Dio and Quark with Alice, and together they can open up the magenta door.

That means Sigma, Alice, and I go through the cyan door...
Clover, K, and Tenmyouji go through the magenta door...

And Dio, Quark, and Luna go through the yellow door.

What?
W-Wait, what?! Why me...?

If you don't want to, then maybe Alice or Clover can choose.
Or Tenmyouji or Dio or... anyone!
Once one person chooses, everyone else's decisions will be made for them.

One minute remains until Chromatic Doors close.

All right, all right! I'll pick!

Oh no! However will we decide? If only there were some well established and fully codified method that might allow us to reach a decision!

Oh, wait!

You know what to do, thread.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 28, 2013

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Go through the magenta door with Luna.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Another vote for Luna/Magenta here!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Go through the yellow door.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Let's go through the yellow door. Tenmyouji seems like a cool person.

EDIT: He is still cool but I don't want to waste my vote. Please disregard this post and see my new vote on a later page.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 29, 2013

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
As an avid 999 follower, its gotta be Alice, even though explanations about her are no doubt quite a ways away.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

We gotta go with the Luna/Magenta option here.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Go through magenta with Luna.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Time to hop on through the Magenta door.

Also I am getting major GLaDOS vibes when Zero III's voice goes deep. Penalized.

symptom
Oct 19, 2011
I went Magenta with Luna my first time through the game, so I vote that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I wanna hang out with the old guy. Yellow door with Tenmyouji please.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Let's go with Luna, I guess. She seems nice enough, and it makes Alice and Clover pair up, which I figure they want to.

Actually, changed my vote on the next page.

Terper fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 28, 2013

SkuttyB
Nov 5, 2010

Another vote for Luna and the magenta door

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
Alice and the cyan door What better way to start than to stay safe and sound with the people that matches us! Having the same color as us has got to be a good thing... Right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

All aboard the Luna train!

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I might have picked the magenta door on my playthrough, but I think we should take Cyan to start

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't get that far into this game, but I went with Luna for this choice. From Alice or Tenmyouji, I like the old dude better, so... Yellow.

EDIT: Also, that bit about the anesthetic only being there out of mercy seems like a pretty significant clue, going forward.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 28, 2013

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Cyan door sounds good to me.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Magenta/Luna. Let the cryo-preserved ancient Egyptian go with the Clover Flintstone and the alien who built the pyramids.

I bet that there will be three sets of rooms and Chromatic doors. The pair/solo thing will probably switch after the first set of rooms, so that the next time, it will be Sigma/Alice as a pair and Phi as a solo, or Phi/Alice as a pair with Sigma as a solo.

Endorph posted:

EDIT: Also, that bit about the anesthetic only being there out of mercy seems like a pretty significant clue, going forward.

The most interesting clue for me was the nine minute gap between the anesthetic and the poison. That'll clearly be important later.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Luna/Magenta. I want to see how quickly Luna goes from "Quick, Sigma! Solve the puzzle! If one person does it, everyone gets to escape!" to whatever it is she says to our intellectually-impaired beeping protagonist.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
Tenmyouji seems like a cool dude, I wanna go Yellow.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Let's go hang out with [b]Alice in the cyan door[b].

friendlyNeurotoxin
Sep 14, 2011

Super High-school Level Slacker
Cyan chilling with the not so frozen Egyptian

I'm interested in seeing how the solo/pair dynamic changes after the first area.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If there's one thing we learned from the last game it's that the shy girl can't be trusted. Team up with Luna in the magenta door to keep an eye on her.

Plus, that way Clover and Alice can stay together and maybe Alice can help Clover figure something out about our situation, or at least keep her from going berserk.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Luna, magenta door.

That was my first choice when I started and I'm sticking to it :colbert:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Let's go with Luna. Seems to be a good idea to have Clover and Alice together, hopefully that will stave off any...murderous impulses that may arise. :black101:

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
I'm all for Alice and the mystery of the Cyan door.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yellow with Tenmyouji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
I like Tenmyouji's voice, so I'll vote for the Yellow door.

• Locked thread