Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gort posted:

How come you lose a considerable amount of prestige for helping out your citizens during a potato blight, but not with other disasters like influenza?

Surely a country that can deal with it's own natural disasters is more prestigious than one that just lets their citizens die from them?

Maybe a better event would be:

Potato blight oh no:

1) Accept international help for those suffering (resource bonus, prestige penalty, starvation)

2) We can deal with it ourselves (resource penalty, starvation)

Just feels a bit dumb for the most "prestigious" course of action to mean ignoring the issue and letting your citizens starve in the streets.

I think it's kind of dumb as well, especially since it only really effects low-tech nations, and they're the ones that a prestige hit hurts the most. Fortunately they're reducing the frequency of the event in the next patch, since others have noted the same problem.

At least it's not like that one EU3 event with a choice between -2 stab and a level 4 master of the mint, or +3 inflation. I loving hate that event.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

James The 1st posted:

Wow, overload patch day. Eu3 5.2, Victoria 2 patch and CK2 patch!

They still update EU3? Wow.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

They still update EU3? Wow.

5.2 is the final patch, its just been converted from beta to release.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The V2 patch has the best checksum.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Narrator posted:

It's been said, but there's at least a few events in Vicky that seem to work like this. Basically, you have to imagine how a 19th-century government would have felt about the issue rather than a 21st-century person. Helping poor people will make us look like our poor people will need help, etc.
It basically implies that the political system isn't working properly, and what's more embarrassing than that? Functional governments are what we're trying to give to those poor Africans!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fister Roboto posted:

The V2 patch has the best checksum.

I hope it's CNUT :black101:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

James The 1st posted:

Wow, overload patch day. Eu3 5.2, Victoria 2 patch and CK2 patch!

Holy poo poo a 5.2 release for eu3? I hope they fixed the extend = map bug, but at this point even if it's just a re-release of the last beta I'll be happy. Steam users that don't know about the forums have been missing out on the patch for 18 months or so, because beta patches aren't released on Steam.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
HOI3 remains the unloved stepchild kept in the basement.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Necroneocon posted:

I think that's because I'm the only person who actually plays HoI3 for fun.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Don Gato posted:

I think that's because I'm the only person who actually plays HoI3 for fun.

Rask38 loves it too, but he's also a stoner who probably doesn't realize what he's playing.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Really, Vicky 2.. Really?.

These Checksums are getting more and more interesting lately.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

I hope it's CNUT :black101:

Better, it's FCKR. :allears:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I know the developers read this thread more often than the CK2 thread so I'll post this here.

There might be a bug with ruler designer and TOG. I made an Irish pagan ruler in 867 and when I went to the Religion tab it CTD'd. I'm not sure if it was because there are no pagans in the game it seems or something unrelated.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So I have to buy the new expansion to play as a Zoroastrian lord? Since it would be so awesome to play as a follower of the few cool things that originated from my homeland.

Not that I grasp CK2 yet. Understanding Hearts of Iron 3 fairly well but since I don't have a life, summer is the perfect time for me to spend indoors learning another Paradox game!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SeaTard posted:

Rask38 loves it too, but he's also a stoner who probably doesn't realize what he's playing.

No I do. I've been trying to figure out how to do a LP of it actually but there's really not a lot in the game outside of combat which has been done to death on the paradox forums. If you want to be a sperg lord and try racking up a high score at ww2 then hoi3 is the game for you as that is literally all you can do with it. What paradox should do is give the code to the darkest hour guys as I think they could tweak the non military production, diplomacy and intel parts enough to make it work as a Cold War game since EvW is looking to be a flop.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just wanted to give my thanks to the OP for the write up. I've been dicking around with HOI3 and V2 recently, and while enjoying it and watching tons of multi hour tutorial video, the idea of a proper tutorial and QA tested Paradox game seemed elusive. Imagine my surprise reading about CK2 being that game....even more that it was the Steam Midweek Madness title (which is how I tend to get all my Paradox titles, along with seasonal sales). So I just bought it blind since for $20 for everything is a pretty good deal. Of course if I followed the thread before I'd know this.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

Youtuber quill18 was at the eu4 press event and today released a handful of videos giving his impressions of the game, explaining some of the new concepts et cetera. No live footage but a large gallery of new screenshots in each of the vids.

Here's #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvheg4Bg4wY

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

gfanikf posted:

Imagine my surprise reading about CK2 being that game....even more that it was the Steam Midweek Madness title (which is how I tend to get all my Paradox titles, along with seasonal sales).

If you're interested in some CK2-specific advice the new thread for that is this way. (Also a general announcement for anyone not constantly following the CK2 thread)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Necroneocon posted:

If HOI3 is in the basement where is Rome? :ohdear:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

uPen posted:

Behind the shed. :woof:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

Rome was kicked out ages ago, it's living on it's own behind a dumpster.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

uPen posted:

If there is one thing worth learning from the Romans, it's the exposure of unfit infants :hist101:

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
I can't install the new V2 patch for some reason. It says 'Cannot find Heart of Darkness installed'. I had all the expansions installed in the same folder, so I went back and uninstalled everything and reinstalled like it is by default (where every game is it's own folder) but it still doesn't work. A few people have asked about it in the paradox forums but no one has replied.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Does anyone know if EU3+ will work fine with the non-beta release of 5.2?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Any semi-historical mods for HoD that have more-or-less balanced countries?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eugh, the Steam sale makes me quite unhappy that I have the Gamersgate version of CK2 and am locked into buying my DLC through them.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

PopetasticPerson posted:

I can't install the new V2 patch for some reason. It says 'Cannot find Heart of Darkness installed'. I had all the expansions installed in the same folder, so I went back and uninstalled everything and reinstalled like it is by default (where every game is it's own folder) but it still doesn't work. A few people have asked about it in the paradox forums but no one has replied.

Yeah the registry keys are not properly set, if at all sometimes, but you gotta install the expansion all in the base folder.

Registry is like HKLM\Software\Paradox <something>\Victoria 2, path string "path\to\game"

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

gfanikf posted:

Just wanted to give my thanks to the OP for the write up. I've been dicking around with HOI3 and V2 recently, and while enjoying it and watching tons of multi hour tutorial video, the idea of a proper tutorial and QA tested Paradox game seemed elusive. Imagine my surprise reading about CK2 being that game....even more that it was the Steam Midweek Madness title (which is how I tend to get all my Paradox titles, along with seasonal sales). So I just bought it blind since for $20 for everything is a pretty good deal. Of course if I followed the thread before I'd know this.

No problem! If you're a fan of WW1/WW2 and found HOI3 to be... HOI3, I'd suggest you take a look at Darkest Hour which goes on sale every now and again and is one of the best real time WW2 games out there.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, I don't suppose there are any small (as I don't want my in-progress vanilla campaign to be rendered unplayable) mods that allow me to force a country to renounce their claims/cores on a state in Vic2? Since as Japan I've been in a war with Russia over them trying to claim the small island chain that's part of Hokkaido, resulting in me winning the war and taking Sakhalin, which I also have cores on. But recently they've declared war on me to reclaim Sakhalin, and brought in their old buddies from the last war: France, the Ottomans and Krakow, which were a little bit of a handful last war, especially as I have no allies of my own. So yeah, at this point I really just want to stop them from permanently having a valid casus belli that they are and will likely to continue to use on me frequently, especially as I don't want to fight them at all at this point, as they hold nothing that I want, as far as I'm aware.

And to think all I wanted to do with the next few decades was to dominate the opium supply on the Arabian peninsula..

EDIT: vvv It is, with GamersGate being the exception, if I'm not mistaken. Dunno why, though

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 29, 2013

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Alchenar posted:

Eugh, the Steam sale makes me quite unhappy that I have the Gamersgate version of CK2 and am locked into buying my DLC through them.

I thought CK2 was Steam only?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

I just bit the bullet and bought Steam copies of CK2, EU3, Vic2, HOI3 and Darkest Hour on Steam, despite already owning all of them through Gamersgate. I felt like Paradox deserved it after the hundreds of hours I've collectively spent on all these games.

Torabi posted:

I thought CK2 was Steam only?
AFAIK Paradox moved into full Steamworks since March of the Eagles, and continuing with EU4 and onwards, but they're still releasing non-Steam versions for all of their older games.

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there, I don't suppose there are any small (as I don't want my in-progress vanilla campaign to be rendered unplayable) mods that allow me to force a country to renounce their claims/cores on a state in Vic2?
Your options are either editing the save, writing your own decision and triggering it for Russia, or breaking Russia really really bad.

For the second option, I think it might look something like:

pre:
remove_core = {
                alert = no
                potential = { ai = no }
                allow = { }
                effect = {
                        1234 = { remove_core = RUS }
                }
                ai_will_do = { factor = 0 }
    }
Where 1234 is the province ID of the province whose cores you want to remove.

Paste that inside C:\Games\Victoria 2\decisions\Political.txt

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 29, 2013

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just bit the bullet and bought Steam copies of CK2, EU3, Vic2, HOI3 and Darkest Hour on Steam, despite already owning all of them through Gamersgate. I felt like Paradox deserved it after the hundreds of hours I've collectively spent on all these games.

Between GamersGate, Steam, and boxed copies years ago, I've re-bought Paradox games so many times. This is my justification, since they're by far the games I've played the most over the years.

Vicky: Ricky and HoI2 I've bought at least three times each: first time boxed, second time Gamersgate for the Mac versions after switching to Apple, third time Steam after switching back from Apple.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah I'm still not convinced Paradox deserved my (pre-order) money for HOI3 the first time around, let alone the idea of buying it twice.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there, I don't suppose there are any small (as I don't want my in-progress vanilla campaign to be rendered unplayable) mods that allow me to force a country to renounce their claims/cores on a state in Vic2? Since as Japan I've been in a war with Russia over them trying to claim the small island chain that's part of Hokkaido, resulting in me winning the war and taking Sakhalin, which I also have cores on. But recently they've declared war on me to reclaim Sakhalin, and brought in their old buddies from the last war: France, the Ottomans and Krakow, which were a little bit of a handful last war, especially as I have no allies of my own. So yeah, at this point I really just want to stop them from permanently having a valid casus belli that they are and will likely to continue to use on me frequently, especially as I don't want to fight them at all at this point, as they hold nothing that I want, as far as I'm aware.

And to think all I wanted to do with the next few decades was to dominate the opium supply on the Arabian peninsula..

EDIT: vvv It is, with GamersGate being the exception, if I'm not mistaken. Dunno why, though

Could you just give up Sakhalin? There's nothing really terribly worthwhile there, and the prestige/military hit is easily recoverable.

I ran into that problem when I botched the Oregon Treaty in an NNM USA game, and I had to deal with the UK DoWing me every few years until the end of goddamn time. I wasn't about to give up Washington, Oregon, and Idaho (pretty borders) though, so I ended up junking that game.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Actually why is there no "Remove Core" war goal, EU3 has that and it can be really handy. I've often used it to make bigger countries give up cores of my vassal's lands.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I think the feeling was it's a shorter time period and people are more nationalist, so they will not be willing to give up on their cores so easily. It does lead to some dumbness though, but it's more the AI being too stubborn than the cores themselves, I think.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Darkrenown posted:

I think the feeling was it's a shorter time period and people are more nationalist, so they will not be willing to give up on their cores so easily. It does lead to some dumbness though, but it's more the AI being too stubborn than the cores themselves, I think.

Perhaps it should be possible to force countries to give up claims in provinces/states where their primary/accepted culture POPs is under a certain threshold (like 20 or 25%)? That way it would be possible to force the Russians to give up claims to Sakhalin and the Kurils but it wouldn't be possible to force Germany to give up their claim on Alsace-Lorraine.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also because you can't have fascism without revanchism, and you can't have revanchism without your land being in the claws of the filthy French!

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
I started replaying Victoria 2 (with HoD) as the United States and I keep getting destroyed by Mexico when I try to fulfill Manifest Destiny around 1846. What is the suggested force composition of armies? I built a deal of cuirassiers which I thought would be performing better. Should I wait until after 1850, when I can start building better army techs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

YF-23 posted:

Perhaps it should be possible to force countries to give up claims in provinces/states where their primary/accepted culture POPs is under a certain threshold (like 20 or 25%)? That way it would be possible to force the Russians to give up claims to Sakhalin and the Kurils but it wouldn't be possible to force Germany to give up their claim on Alsace-Lorraine.

Yeah, that sounds like a good compromise.

• Locked thread