Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

dyzzy posted:

Was Gamma being literal in this page? I wonder how much Paz confides in the animals she works with...

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1032

Maybe Zimmy just means the head pigeon (as a "winged rat"). Or she just overheard Paz's own head animal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Ahaha, I didn't even make the pigeon connection, seems way more likely that way.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

dyzzy posted:

Was Gamma being literal in this page? I wonder how much Paz confides in the animals she works with...

I'm curious about what exactly Annie's dad was doing to her in this chapter. I'm guessing he was remotely trying to figure out how to stop her dying-from-pregnancy problem due to her fire elemental thing (the bones are straight up puncturing her as a fire elemental). I'm also curious if Zimmy actually somehow punched her dad in the face or if it was some kind of etheral version of him. And I'd love to see that from his perspective if he got a good look at Zimmy flying in going "MESSAGE FROM YOUR LITTLE GIRL MATE!" (a great page by the way). I'm guessing Zimmy is going to be really important to the endgame of the comic. Also this comic is really unique in that there doesn't seem to really be a clear villain (yet?). Coyote is up to something and that memory wiping thing he did to Ysengrin was certainly something to be worried about, but on the other hand he doesn't really seem to dislike anyone? I dunno. Tom is a very good writer.

Also I'm guessing the bonus page is a look at the letter, but I hope the next chapter starts off with Kat telling Annie and Renard because I want to see that conversation :3:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I've re-read the chapter "Stone" again, and I can't but help to wonder - what does Jones look like when you look into the Ether near her? Is she a blank slate? Or does she retain her normal form?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Blackheart posted:

Well, if I end up joining tumblr I'll have new headmates to console me :v: (urgh)

Hahah, but also post/PM your tumblr if you end up making one too! And it's really not that bad, since your feed is only as annoying as the people you choose to follow.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blackheart posted:

Maybe Zimmy just means the head pigeon (as a "winged rat"). Or she just overheard Paz's own head animal?

Maybe, but given that Paz works with rats and mice and she can talk to animals...

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Maybe, but given that Paz works with rats and mice and she can talk to animals...

Of course, that's also a possibility. Paz doesn't seem like the rumor-spreading type but she could have talked about her problems, with, say, Bobby, around the mice.

Macaluso posted:

I'm curious about what exactly Annie's dad was doing to her in this chapter. I'm guessing he was remotely trying to figure out how to stop her dying-from-pregnancy problem due to her fire elemental thing (the bones are straight up puncturing her as a fire elemental). I'm also curious if Zimmy actually somehow punched her dad in the face or if it was some kind of etheral version of him.

My theory at the moment was actually that he would try to somehow take Annie's "flame" back and bring back Surma, but then again I don't like Anthony very much and it'd be a bit cliché'd I guess.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

dyzzy posted:

Welp, reread the chapter. I've forgotten how much I loved this one. Zimmy and Gamma need to show up more often to hang with Annie and Kat.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Everyone grab your wallets!

http://gunnerkrigg.tumblr.com/post/51567783042/my-publisher-sent-me-an-advance-copy-of-volume-4

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Zimmy is still by far my favorite GC character in general. I love "unpleasant" characters like that who are good at heart. :3:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I'm late to the conversation so I apologize if this was covered earlier, but I'm pretty sure that Kat's head-pigeon is a manifestation of her surface thoughts in the whatever-this-is space that Zimmy is operating in here. Zimmy is literally reading Kat's mind, and Zimmy is saying things about rats and the like just to mess with her.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Pew! Pew! posted:

Zimmy is still by far my favorite GC character in general. I love "unpleasant" characters like that who are good at heart. :3:

I really want her and Red to meet, just so they can annoy each other.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Heresiarch posted:

I'm late to the conversation so I apologize if this was covered earlier, but I'm pretty sure that Kat's head-pigeon is a manifestation of her surface thoughts in the whatever-this-is space that Zimmy is operating in here. Zimmy is literally reading Kat's mind, and Zimmy is saying things about rats and the like just to mess with her.

No way! :allears:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

People were just now talking about whether Paz had been telling her animals about Kat, so I had to assume that they didn't get it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Someone proposed other interpretations, but yeah the head pigeon / zimmy reading Kat is the most likely explanation.

vvv Wow, imagine someone with the power to... TALK TO HUMANS! vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 28, 2013

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

MikeJF posted:

You know, humans counts as animals...

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

If Zimmy can read a person's mind, it seems like it would be trivial to read a rat's mind.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Prison Warden posted:

Well this page certainly takes on a slightly different tone than before.

I liked todays comic because I am a huge romantic pansy who loves happy endings, (well, this is more of a happy beginning I guess) that is all.

I'm not sure what you mean by this- that Kat had a crush on Paz even way back then? I'd really disagree with that if that's what you meant. Kat was totally blindsided that Paz thought she was hitting on her (and that Paz/everyone may think she's gay), which led to her overcompensation with the headband and whatnot in the next chapter. Gradually she's learned its not a big deal, but again, Paz's newest confession still caught her off guard, except this time she was able to say 'sure why not'. Doesn't mean she's been nursing a crush for the last few months, just that she's willing to give it a shot.

The page you linked has be looked at not just in terms of Kat and Paz, but also include Jack and Annie. Kat's just had her self-view shaken, and then she looks and sees Jack and Annie embracing- she thinks they might be going out now. Then she sees Paz and compares the two situations- Annie's got a boyfriend and people think Kat's gay, so she kind of turns over in a huff. Notice when Annie comes over the first thing Kat asks is if she and Jack are going out now.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Re-reading Divine, I realized just how much more mysticism Tom's footnotes add. Seriously, after the page with Robo-Kat Tom's "One day, Zimmy" feels really cryptic and improves the reading experience for me.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Zyla posted:

If Zimmy can read a person's mind, it seems like it would be trivial to read a rat's mind.

Yeah but it's sort of A Thing that there are No Rats in Gunnerkrigg Court. It's pointed out once by Gamma after the happy rain chapter and Tom mentioned it once outside the comic.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Azran posted:

Re-reading Divine, I realized just how much more mysticism Tom's footnotes add. Seriously, after the page with Robo-Kat Tom's "One day, Zimmy" feels really cryptic and improves the reading experience for me.

I thought it was a callback at Zimmy's "I'll die here one day" back when she walked through nightmare Birmingham with Annie.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Yeah but it's sort of A Thing that there are No Rats in Gunnerkrigg Court. It's pointed out once by Gamma after the happy rain chapter and Tom mentioned it once outside the comic.

I had always thought it was obvious that the 'rats' in question were the flying rats of the Court - the pigeon :eng101:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Azran posted:

I was reading through old comics in hardcopy today, and couldn't help but notice how much I missed the footnotes. I guess I feel they're an essential part of the experience.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

dyzzy posted:

Longtime reader, just found this thread. You guys will be happy to know that a certain someone approves:

Oh man, is this the real ChibiSoma or just a great parody.
Like honestly it seems too fitting of a response to actually be him.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Can you put just any name in there? I don't really think it's him.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Can you put just any name in there? I don't really think it's him.

I want to believe.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Ah good point. I feel like it could be referencing the animals in Paz's care though, I could easily imagine Zimmy snoopin' like that just to be herself.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Heresiarch posted:

People were just now talking about whether Paz had been telling her animals about Kat, so I had to assume that they didn't get it.

Sorry :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ahahahaahahahahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz3OISxP-Iw

:allears:

SomniumObmutum
Jul 23, 2007

The more smug foxes the better I always say.

Ahahahahahaha oh man, I needed something to laugh at to bring me out of a funk from a depressing story I got done playing a little bit ago. It would have been kind of sad without the music though, "OMG THE GAYS" is getting loving depressing. I could go for knowing what that song/band is too.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I know I shouldn't be but I am actually surprised how many people are angry over this.

SomniumObmutum posted:

Ahahahahahaha oh man, I needed something to laugh at to bring me out of a funk from a depressing story I got done playing a little bit ago. It would have been kind of sad without the music though, "OMG THE GAYS" is getting loving depressing. I could go for knowing what that song/band is too.
It's the Shingeki no Kyojin opening theme (hence Shingeki no PazKat).

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Well I guess that means more :3: for the rest of us.

Lots of people real mad about homo/bisexuals in their webcomic. We're in 2013 now, it's okay to stop being stupid fuckbutts.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

:laffo: this is too good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Elysiume posted:

I know I shouldn't be but I am actually surprised how many people are angry over this.

If you check the comment thread on the site, or even toxic places like /co/, it's surprisingly few. But they're worth pointing and laughing at anyway.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TechnoRobot posted:

:laffo: this is too good.

Could do without the lovely music though. Jesus.

Wait. Furies? As in these things? I'm going to choose to believe that was not a typo, and that this guy is just more off his nut than the rest of them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It does make more sense.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Diggin' dat lighting and shading on the last two panels.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
So glad to see that the true star of this chapter finally found a place where he belongs. :allears:

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

The :3: train keeps on goin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Godspeed, noble octopus :3: