Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Are you talking about nowinstock.com?

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx780/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Some EVGA cards are in stock currently. The ACX cooler was available earlier, but didn't have my phone near me and I missed it.

Also noticed there's a SC version with the ACX cooler as well on EVGA's site, but not on newegg yet.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 29, 2013

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Man seeing how well a 780 overclocked goes against a Titan makes me really want one, but I have a perfectly good 7950 that I want to last me until HD9000/GTX800... :sigh:

Don't worry, I'm still using a 5850 and Q9450.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

If it's not overheating or a bad overclock, it's bad VRAM. It happens. RMA time.

Whelp. I submitted a support ticket to EVGA on Monday, still no response. How long should it realistically take to get a response? Or should I just go ahead and start the RMA process?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

dog nougat posted:

Whelp. I submitted a support ticket to EVGA on Monday, still no response. How long should it realistically take to get a response? Or should I just go ahead and start the RMA process?
Yes if the temperatures were fine and you made sure the card was at stock clocks it just needs to be replaced. Keep in mind that this is a holiday week in the US so you may not get responses quickly or at all this week.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Zotix posted:

Some EVGA cards are in stock currently. The ACX cooler was available earlier, but didn't have my phone near me and I missed it.

Also noticed there's a SC version with the ACX cooler as well on EVGA's site, but not on newegg yet.

Check the SKU, the ACX cooler on Newegg IS the superclocked version.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, the temps were normal. Before I cleaned it, it was around 73°C. After it dropped to about 65°C. I didn't take it apart or anything like that. It had already been acting weird before I took it out.
I had overclocked it once a while ago to try and get sleeping dogs to not run like poo poo, but in MSI Afterburner I never took it to max voltage or anything. The overclock would make the game crash anyway so I just stuck with the stock setting. It seems unlikely that a mild overclock would've fried anything. It was also months ago like late 2012 and this all started about a month ago.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

w00tazn posted:

Check the SKU, the ACX cooler on Newegg IS the superclocked version.

Yeah I mixed that up. I meant to say EVGA now has an ACX version of the non superclocked. They also added a hydro cooler yesterday.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

A product this new, binning is almost certainly imperfect. Any of the ones with the advanced cooler may well overclock like nuts. Do we have any confirmation at all that the SC has a custom BIOS from EVGA? If not, I'd say it's -all- luck of the draw as far as binning goes, for now.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are vendors like MSI, EVGA, Zotac, etc expected to do their own binning with in a specific GPU model or does Nvidia test and rate their parts beyond the model?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Shaocaholica posted:

Are vendors like MSI, EVGA, Zotac, etc expected to do their own binning with in a specific GPU model or does Nvidia test and rate their parts beyond the model?
nVidia rates the quality of each die but only guarantees that they will hit rated speeds. Qualifying to run overclocked is entirely the partner's responsibility, which is one of the reasons there were such severe issues with factory-overclocked GTX 680 and 670 cards at launch. In summary, nVidia will sell you a bunch of GPUs and tell you which of them are likely to overclock farther than the others, but it's up to you to test that they actually work at the speeds you want to operate them at when assembled into a videocard.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Some of each. Nvidia bins and harvests as far as their own SKUs, like GK110 -> Tesla K20 (and variants), Titan, and GTX 780; and GK104 -> Quadro Kwhatever, GTX 690 through 660 Ti, 680M and 675MX, etc. etc.

The card vendor usually bins these chips further. Sometimes it's fairly loose, like cherry-picking just the best overclockers for the top-end card. Sometimes it's fairly tight (like EVGA does it), making sure that you won't get a top-end overclock out of a low-end part and making sure that if you buy a top-end card, you can be rewarded with top-end clocks.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

dog nougat posted:

That's weird, I just did an RMA with EVGA and it was super fast. I put it in on a Saturday even I think and they answered within minutes. You can't actually do the RMA part until you get a ticket going or they will reject it. I'd try emailing them again.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

EVGA products are available as of this post on their website including the ACX models.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Zotix posted:

EVGA products are available as of this post on their website including the ACX models.

I saw that email after 20 minutes and it was back to out of stock (the OC acx version at least)

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Yeah it was available for a good 10 minutes or so. I snagged mine, and it was still up for a bit afterwards. Keep an eye out on Newegg for it. Yesterday I got an EVGA notification 30 minutes before Newegg sent me theirs.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
The 780 seems like an awesome card. Based on Anandtech's numbers, it seems great for getting 60fps @ 2560x1440, which is what I have now. My only problem is that it feels stupid to buy a $650 card that can only max out TODAY'S games. If there is a jump in fidelity when xbone/PS4 come out, I'm going to feel like an rear end in a top hat for having spent nearly two 7970s worth on a card that I will have to start turning things down on in short order. In other words, if I'm going to spend a huge amount on a GPU it should be so ahead of the curve that I won't feel the upgrade itch at all when Maxwell comes out. But I don't think I can say that with the 780.

Of course, my alternative is to sit with my 560ti 448 until Maxwell or Volcanic Islands. What will that be, late 2013-early 2014?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Magic Underwear posted:

The 780 seems like an awesome card. Based on Anandtech's numbers, it seems great for getting 60fps @ 2560x1440, which is what I have now. My only problem is that it feels stupid to buy a $650 card that can only max out TODAY'S games. If there is a jump in fidelity when xbone/PS4 come out, I'm going to feel like an rear end in a top hat for having spent nearly two 7970s worth on a card that I will have to start turning things down on in short order. In other words, if I'm going to spend a huge amount on a GPU it should be so ahead of the curve that I won't feel the upgrade itch at all when Maxwell comes out. But I don't think I can say that with the 780.

Of course, my alternative is to sit with my 560ti 448 until Maxwell or Volcanic Islands. What will that be, late 2013-early 2014?

Playing at 2560x1440 is already a significant jump in detail over what consoles will be doing, which will be 1080p, and probably 30fps for many games because consoles always have compromises somewhere.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well I was bit disappointed but not surprised my ultrabook couldn't output 4K over HDMI even though the manufacturer's spec page lists HDMI 1.4. The Ultrabook is an Asus UX32VD.

It has Intel HD4000 + Nvidia 620M. What surprised me is that the Nvidia drivers have zero settings for resolution, I had to do it all through the Intel configuration tool. That only let me choose 1080p as the maximum resolution when I plugged my ultrabook into a Sony 4K TV. I'm guessing its something that Intel never coded into their drivers because no one actually has a 4K display let alone one thats being driven by an Intel GPU.

edit: I guess I need a Haswell GPU to get 4K over a single HDMI connector:

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/14116/

So what GPUs currently support 4K over HDMI?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 30, 2013

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm genuinely surprised that the 620 isn't giving the option for 4k. Are you sure the monitor edid is sending the right information?

Did you try and hack the registry to force a 4k?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

incoherent posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that the 620 isn't giving the option for 4k. Are you sure the monitor edid is sending the right information?

Did you try and hack the registry to force a 4k?

I did some googling and it doesn't seem like any Nvidia GPU can do 4K over a single HDMI output or any other type of port. Might be doable with a driver update but it hasn't happened yet.

edit: Ok, maybe I'm wrong on that. Still googling.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 30, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The 620M is a Fermi chip and doesn't have HDMI 1.4a for 4K. Only Kepler chips even have that as an option.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
I haven't read too much into it but it seems like the GTX 680 should support 4096x2160 over a single HDMI connection (read the tiny text at the bottom). I also just watched some guy that recorded a video of BF3 in 4K using that card but take that as you will.

EDIT: Based off of Nvidia's specifications, everything from the GTX 670 up supports 4K.

An Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 30, 2013

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yay! Thanks internets!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Deep thoughts ahead. :clint: (Edit: Or, How I learned to stop worrying and be fine with 30FPS as a hard minimum)

Y'know, maybe I won't drop $650 (plus $50 for advance RMA and the 2 year additional warranty like a sucker) for a mini-Titan. I'm playing Crysis 3 now, just got it, love the bow, and it's totally maxed including the highest possible TXAA (the gent who writes nVidia's AA algorithms was completely right, by the way, it's amazingly cinematic). And I'm finally getting around to playing The Witcher 2, which I preordered from GOG, hah. All settings maxed except ubersampling because come on that's not a sane setting. And you know what Metro's problem is? It's that you can't dick around with individual settings, you have to take the whole package of intensive stuff, even if you don't particularly like it. Even so, kill ADoF and it runs smoothly. So what would I be upgrading for, exactly? The only games that are capable of pushing the envelope farther than my card can go are basically tech demos. Like Cryostasis. We get it, SM4.0 is pretty.

So... Given that I won't be upgrading from 1080p for at least a year, it seems kind of silly to spend that much on a card that really is aimed at nVidia answering the call for very high resolution gameplay since they kinda dropped the ball with 2GB on the top end previous gen product. Should have done the odd-bit bus and gone with 3GB then, the GPU can handle it in most scenarios :colbert:.

All that said - it's somewhat, moderately, with lots of qualifiers possible that I'll nab a discounted used GTX 680 of the same make and model so I can turn up ALL THE THINGS anyway. But I won't budget super high for that experiment and it's going to take some time for the 700s to drive top-end 600s prices down, so it's probably not going to happen either, in reality.

Summary: GTX 680 with a good overclock still kicks rear end at 1080p, fine by me!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 30, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I'm still running my overclocked 580 at 1200p and have no desire to upgrade (although the VRAM issues with bioshock were a bit unsettling). Running at 900 core clock is probably getting me more life out of it than it would be otherwise, though.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Anandtech's Geforce GTX 770 review is up, though it's using the reference GTX Titan cooler that will NOT appear on retail cards, which may alter results. Spoiler: Great card, but don't buy 2GB versions, only the 4GB ones offered by partners.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Maybe I'm dumb, but I'm waiting for a 6 GB version of the 780. I really want a multi-monitor flight sim setup. I also love my Skyrim texture packs

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah the 770 article got me thinking why I would want 3GB on a 780 when I could have 6GB for a few dollars more. I mean, you're already spending a fortune. Relative cost of the extra memory should be pretty small.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 30, 2013

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The outside of the memory the major differences between the 6x0 keplers and the 770 can be made up through bios mods. The max boost clock Anand was able to get from it is lower than my minimum boost clock. (Luck of the draw on cards and everything, but they're probably not going to overclock dramatically better unless Anand got a really terrible card)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
770 is so god drat huge. Hopefully the 8 series has a new architecture and we can get a 870 in a smaller card.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
What even is the difference between the Very High and Ultra presets in Bioshock: Infinite anyway? Very High is playing ludicrously well on 1GB 6850 CF. I can't pinpoint a difference with the screenshots available online.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 30, 2013

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Magic Underwear posted:

If there is a jump in fidelity when xbone/PS4 come out, I'm going to feel like an rear end in a top hat for having spent nearly two 7970s worth on a card that I will have to start turning things down on in short order.

Good thing the designers of the Xbone say that they weren't targeting high end graphics. You should also remember that for current gen, 576p/30 was the target framebuffer/fps and that most games target Medium/Low graphics compared to their PC counterparts.

For next gen, I can imagine the target framebuffer resolution going up, but not much more than that. I doub't we'll be seeing any huge leaps in fidelity anytime soon as we haven't really seen anything that really pushes the boundaries on PCs today and doing so would just mean increased costs for developers who already operate on razor thin margins.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Factory Factory posted:

What even is the difference between the Very High and Ultra presets in Bioshock: Infinite anyway? Very High is playing ludicrously well on 1GB 6850 CF. I can't pinpoint a difference with the screenshots available online.
I believe it was mostly the draw distance on the shadows b/w ultra and high. Well, each step seemed to be drastically different in terms of draw/filter distance and maybe resolution from low - high.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

w00tazn posted:

Good thing the designers of the Xbone say that they weren't targeting high end graphics. You should also remember that for current gen, 576p/30 was the target framebuffer/fps and that most games target Medium/Low graphics compared to their PC counterparts.

For next gen, I can imagine the target framebuffer resolution going up, but not much more than that. I doub't we'll be seeing any huge leaps in fidelity anytime soon as we haven't really seen anything that really pushes the boundaries on PCs today and doing so would just mean increased costs for developers who already operate on razor thin margins.

That's the same thing I've taken away from the new console reveals. They're not really powerful, but they have a large, unified memory space so the PC gamers that are mostly going to feel pain with new titles coming out are those with 1GB cards or such that handled most of the last generation's multiplatforms.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
According to steam hardware survey, 60% of steam gamers have more than 1G and the other 40% have less. Yeesh.

edit: I guess thats not bad for pre next gen.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 30, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If the 770 causes slashes in 670 prices I might be tempted to pick up a second 670 for SLI. How much of a headache is it to SLI non-reference cards from two different manufactures?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Miffler posted:

If the 770 causes slashes in 670 prices I might be tempted to pick up a second 670 for SLI. How much of a headache is it to SLI non-reference cards from two different manufactures?
There will not be a reduction in price on GK104 GPUs. It shouldn't be an issue to get the cards working in SLI, though I'd strongly recommend against SLI due to micro-stutter and other multi-GPU related issues. It's nowhere near as bad as Crossfire, but it's still a qualitatively worse experience than a single card.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know if there's any merit to the rumor that the GTX 760 ti will be released during Computex i.e. next week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Don Lapre posted:

770 is so god drat huge. Hopefully the 8 series has a new architecture and we can get a 870 in a smaller card.
Probably just the fact it's a reference card with a Titan cooler. I'd guess retail cards will be similar to 680s.

w00tazn posted:

Beyond development costs, the other thing is that unless the new consoles sell ridiculously well, there will still be games being made for cross-gen 360/xbone & PS3/4 all the way through fall 2014. They'll be better looking on the new ones (high res textures, draw distances bumped), but not a huge leap. By the time the standard baseline is the xbone & ps4, PC will be on the next entirely new GPU generation.

But if you think next-gen games aren't going to have improved graphics, you are high. There are ways to use that power that don't cost exponentially more money; there are also players ready to spend more money at the start of a new cycle to establish a lead or new IP.