Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
So, I started playing this during NW's downtime the other day, and I'm really loving it. So far, it's by far the best f2p I've played yet, probably because it's the most WoW-like. Not sure if that turns some people on or off, but for me it's a big bonus. Where most F2P games seem to only really excel at one or two things, and the worlds tend to be small, Tera just throws content at its players. The combat system is really smooth, the world is already larger than most other games in the areas I've played in through Lvl. 28, and it seems like you have a lot of side options on things to kill time with. I guess this what people consider a "theme park" MMO (still not sure what that term even means, really), but it really does have the whole package so far. Not sure what end-game will look like, but that seems like a ways off since leveling is actually an experience more than an afterthought.

Collecting boar asses definitely shows the Korean development, though, but it hasn't been too bad since the areas and enemies are fairly unique. I haven't seen too many mobs that are just different colored reskins of other mobs. The crafting is kind of a pain to get used to, but I've held off on that at the advice of the players I've been listening to so far. Thankfully, joining now seems like a good time with the Anniversary Boxes going on. It's a nice boost of cash for beginning players like myself to get caught up with the economy. Just sell a few extra Spellbinds or Alkies and you're pretty set for a while.

I've got characters on most of the big servers to try out all the classes/races, but on MT I'm 'Big.Tim' in the guild and I think I applied with 'Ghaoithe' too. If anyone else is just joining in with the F2P craze, I definitely recommend it, and would be more than up for running some lowbie dungeons and stuff. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
So MT seems to be where it's at. So much so that my guild's GM and a bunch of her friends emptied out the guild bank and transferred there just last night lol :v:

Tons of other members have been quitting ever since. I wonder how often this sort of scenario occurs?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Quick newbie question. What classes are more fun to play? How much mileage can you get out of this game with a 4 man group?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Classes I like that would work nicely in a 4 man would be like, Lancer, Mystic, Slayer + Sorcerer. I really like Warrior too which could replace either the Lancer or the Slayer.

All the classes are good, the only two I wouldn't level would be priest + mystic because I mainly play solo but if you're with a dedicated 4 man group then you'll have no problems. I think with 4 you can do basically everything if you're willing to pick up a 5th member for dungeons or whatever.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Can anyone give me the scoop on endgame play with mystics? When I played (first 3 or 4 months of the game's debut), people would always talk about how priests were better for hard modes but I remember holding it down reasonably well as a mystic.

I was in Something Terable (the pve guild), and my gear was all +9 normal stuff with all the glyphs from ToT completed. If I were to come back, can I transfer to where all the goons are currently playing? And how far behind on gear am I?

Since I quit before the battleground came out, I never really pvped. Are mystics poo poo in pvp or are they alright? I remember people thinking that they were lovely just because there were so few good ones back in the beginning of the game.

Sorry for all of the questions :ohdear:

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Dessel posted:

Are any of you other Europeans using any tunneling services or such to get a lower latency on the US servers?

The EU servers are so bad you're very likely to experience a better performance on NA.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Endgame PvE for a Mystic is like a zoning game with lock on heal and debuff cleanse/mote placement for healing/mana regen over time.

It mostly involves maintaining correct spacing relative to your teammates, without having to get into boss "killzones". Easier to underheal compared to a Priest. Self heal is on a long cooldown and you have no evades, so you gotta kite (but not out of range of allies otherwise its your fault when everything goes bad).

In general the most threatening parts of endgame dungeons are one hit kill mechanics which is all about deliberate positioning and timing. With only a few exceptions you usually can't heal through stuff like this.

The emphasis on endgame dungeon running is to get through boss phases as quickly and cleanly as possible in order to reduce the risk of a fully party wipe. Since the biggest hitters are one shots, the emphasis is more on rate of damage (to get a boss phase over quicker) so offensive support is often preferred to passive support or mitigation. You will pretty much always run Aura of the Merciless, since it doubles the crit rate of your entire party.

Mystics have alot of crowd control skills but in endgame PvE they are generally useless because bosses resist it too often for them to be reliable for controlling movement and interrupting. Minions/pets are worse than useless other than Thrall of Life (your self heal). Minions are getting a massive overhaul in the next patch.

In 3 vs 3 and 15 vs 15 battlegrounds, you will still be playing the spacing game (unless your team is completely shambolic) but theres a much bigger emphasis on cleansing and applying CCs in the right place at the right times because they are are very powerful against other players. Getting CCed against pre made teams in BGs generally means death.

PvP is very gear dependent but not so much as a Mystic since you will only really need PvP robe and boots. DPS classes need weapon and gloves too or they will suck forever.

Even against double pre-made teams with a decent number of full +12 Conjuncts, I have to admit that most of the time, losses are due to very bad coordination. You can't fight a team like that with solo queue Victors but you can still win BGs via map control.

3 vs 3 is super gear dependent. You won't be doing ranked matches for a long time.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/double-emp-saturday-only

Welp.

e: Kind of surprised no one has linked this since it was actually posted yesterday, just double checked to make sure I wasn't double posting. I haven't really been playing TERA lately, but I'll probably still load up something dumb like $50.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Eigo posted:

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/double-emp-saturday-only

Welp.

e: Kind of surprised no one has linked this since it was actually posted yesterday, just double checked to make sure I wasn't double posting. I haven't really been playing TERA lately, but I'll probably still load up something dumb like $50.

I think there have been like 2 posts about a whole raid that was added, and no one has mentioned the Gourmando (red Munchhausen) mount so I will: gently caress you anniversary treasure chests and your lovely odds of the TERA letters that you can't buy off the AH.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

That was my reaction last night... right after I bought a bunch of EMP and then decided to go to the website. :(

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Meta Ridley posted:

gently caress you anniversary treasure chests and your lovely odds of the TERA letters that you can't buy off the AH.

Hey, man. Those anniversary chests are a godsend for those of us just boarding the ship. Getting over 2k gold on each of my three "main" characters before any of them are even 20? Thanks, En Masse! :toot:

No idea if it will even matter in the long run but goddamn having that is really nice early on. Doubt I'll get any of the EMP stuff this weekend due to being broke as Hell, but may look into investing some of this gold into one of those sweet looking 24-Karat leather armor skins once I get to 60 and have an armor worth using it on.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Any tips on where to look for the anniversary chests? I am only level 16 but I haven't seen a single one of them yet.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
They spawn randomly anywhere really, I got a couple on the island, and another one while wandering around near the fairy pond, obviously its better to be on a less busy channel, so you can get to it before others. they are quite eyecatching.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

staberind posted:

They spawn randomly anywhere really, I got a couple on the island, and another one while wandering around near the fairy pond, obviously its better to be on a less busy channel, so you can get to it before others. they are quite eyecatching.

Cool, thank you. I will try switching to a different channel. And I love your username, by the way.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Applied to ye olde guilde as Berious

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is there any way to get a name freed up if some level 1 is sitting on it?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Something here does not match up :smith:

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

These guys dancing didn't cheer you up? :(

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I bought all the bag space that I could from that guy that expands it, how else can I increase my bag size?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Nope :(

I just joined NFA on Slashu though, so no more dead guilds (RIP DGKK, I'll still remain GM)

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Thievery posted:

I bought all the bag space that I could from that guy that expands it, how else can I increase my bag size?

I believe there is a quest in Kaiator that grants you another row. There should also be something in store for you for getting all gathering skills to 300.

Found the name: Bolstering the Homefront

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 27, 2013

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

You also get another row when you hit level 50. The Bolstering the Homefront quest requires 50 of each gathering material from each tier, so if you don't already have a character with 300 in every skill, you should probably do that first so you don't end up paying for materials.

Ogg the clever
Mar 26, 2010
So I started playing the game again a couple of weeks back, only this time on the US servers. I'm actually enjoying myself, and want to get hold of a cd key for the founders stuff. Only problem being from the UK, I can't pick one up in the shop, and import charges push the price up to nearly $70.

Does anyone know where I can actually buy just the key alone online, everywhere I've checked is sold out, or incredibly shady looking.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

You could have someone buy the box off of Amazon and give you the code, I think that would cost ~$20, you could take your chances with eBay or you could buy it here:

http://www.shatteredcrystal.com/code.php/tera_online

Shattered Crystal is very reputable.

Ogg the clever
Mar 26, 2010

Straithate posted:

You could have someone buy the box off of Amazon and give you the code, I think that would cost ~$20, you could take your chances with eBay or you could buy it here:

http://www.shatteredcrystal.com/code.php/tera_online

Shattered Crystal is very reputable.

Thanks for reminding me about Shattered Crystal, I completly forgot about them, and they never came up in google searches. Ordered the key, and it arrived within about 5 mins, so they are still as fast as they used to be when I was ordering lots of replacesment Diablo 2 key sets.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

Dessel posted:

I applied to the guild - I'm going to regret this aren't I? :ohdear: Also, lockboxes/subscription status utterly breaks game money balance on low levels, I'm basically getting "Get the sub, get free in-game money vibe" from this. Shame there's no 5 pages of auctions available for subscribers though, I liked to just toss pretty much anything reasonable looking at the EU AH without thinking. Playing with ~200 ms latency has been surprisingly reasonable so far - at least on a priest.

Not really. You think you are making a lot of gold but its honestly nothing. A single enchanting attempt can cost nearly 2k at max level. Combined with how often it fails you'll spend at least 30k enchanting a piece of gear unless you get lucky. This is just enchanting and doesn't even include spending 100 mes master working an item and rerolling stats.

The subscription can help a smidgen getting gold and rep but the main thing is the convenience of the atlas and broker fees. You can still pay to win per say by buying loads of emp and selling it, but that would cost a few hundred dollars.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I'm going to be playing super casually, probably average less than an hour per night, and generally solo. I'm having trouble choosing between berserker, warrior, and slayer.
Do warriors tank well enough to be viable as I level, and still be decent to solo with?
I've also read about Slayers being king poo poo of melee dps, what's functionally different between the slayer and berserker play styles?
Edit - Also, which of those three will be the least painful for casual pvp? I've got limited enough playtime that I may never hit max level.

Silly Newbie fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 28, 2013

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Silly Newbie posted:

I'm going to be playing super casually, probably average less than an hour per night, and generally solo. I'm having trouble choosing between berserker, warrior, and slayer.
Do warriors tank well enough to be viable as I level, and still be decent to solo with?
I've also read about Slayers being king poo poo of melee dps, what's functionally different between the slayer and berserker play styles?
Edit - Also, which of those three will be the least painful for casual pvp? I've got limited enough playtime that I may never hit max level.

The slayer and the berserker are almost two opposites. The slayer is very mobile and depends on continuous slashes to DPS whereas the berserker only lands a single hit, if any. The berserker is much slower, but this is compensated with increased damage. The warrior is even faster than the slayer, but the same compensation applies here.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
By the time you get to instances that actually need a tank, warriors can tank just fine. They're fine for soloing too, the only difference between a tank warrior and a DPS warrior is a stance switch and a few seconds shuffling glyphs.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Silly Newbie posted:

My very limited play experience (20ish slayer, 52 berzerker) indicates to me that the big difference is that berzerkers are insane solo and a giant pain in the rear end in groups. By which I mean, Vampiric blow and block on berzerker makes you nearly unkillable in PvE. You can gently caress up multiple times while soloing a bam as a zerk and shrug it off no problem. In a group though, nothing will aggravate you more than spending the 2 or 3 seconds to charge up thunder strike just to have the boss leap away. Then you run up to the boss charging thunder strike and you get hit on the way in (or block and don't get hit but still end up cancelling the charge) which knocks you down. Then you get up, get behind the boss, charge thunder strike AGAIN and the boss does a stupid whirl attack and hits you, causing you to flinch and lose your charge.

This isn't common at all, and is mostly an issue of being bad, but god drat the first time it happened to me I was super angry.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Lately I have been trying out all the different classes since leveling a Mystic is not ideal for how much I play the game.

The Archer is loads of fun while being a tad bit challenging. With a Slayer I could pull how ever many mobs I felt like and faceroll my way to victory. Warrior is fun but not my style. Sorcerer is also a blast but way too squishy. Lancer is a brick wall and makes the game feel exactly like Monster Hunter (which is a good thing!).

So, some questions on Archers: Is there a level when the class really opens up, like for a Warrior and Sorcerer, or is level 25 a good summary of what Archers will be? Do I need to have my Mystic leave the guild in order to have the Archer enter? In a week or two, I will have roughly 4 days to spend all on Tera. What level can I get my Archer to in that time frame?

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Fixit posted:

I will have roughly 4 days to spend all on Tera. What level can I get my Archer to in that time frame?

You could easily hit 60 with a 100% XP boost.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Straithate posted:

You could easily hit 60 with a 100% XP boost.

Does this require real money or can I buy boosts with game currency?

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Fixit posted:

Does this require real money or can I buy boosts with game currency?

You can, but I don't think it's affordable as a new player.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Phosphia posted:

You can, but I don't think it's affordable as a new player.

Darn. I only have about 4k on my Mystic from the St. Patty's day event.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

A 100% 7 day boost is 4.9k right now on MT, it's too bad you didn't get in on the weekend sale since they were like 500 EMP.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Maybe it's the carebear in me, but I am kind of fed up with every party request, free heal, or free buff I give out leading into the person instantly turning on outlaw and destroying my fragile little healer. Seriously, several of them have followed me across channels to harass me and not let me quest. Is this DGKK's reputation, or are TERA people just kind of dickwads?

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Maybe it's the carebear in me, but I am kind of fed up with every party request, free heal, or free buff I give out leading into the person instantly turning on outlaw and destroying my fragile little healer. Seriously, several of them have followed me across channels to harass me and not let me quest. Is this DGKK's reputation, or are TERA people just kind of dickwads?

I'm chucking it up to our reputation. People do like us, but those that don't go out of their way to make our in game time miserable, to the point of posting bounties. I mean, it's fun to watch them rage, but some days it's terrible questing when you have a whole guild spread across all channels making sure you suffer.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I had to give up on my mystic for now - way too painful to level even in the 30s and I don't think anyone in-guild was near my level at the time.

For shits and giggles I rolled a popori as a fat bulldog smoking a pipe. I didn't want to go pure-DPS since I already have a sorcerer, so I went as a warrior. My internet poo poo the bed last night but aside from when it was really bad (30+ seconds of lag followed by returning in black&white) I was still able to get to level 25ish in one go.

I'd probably be mid 30s if I didn't have to back-quest through the tungawi swamp for some levels due to lag making it harder to play. It's amazingly easy-mode.

Do people solo warrior in defensive or aggressive stance? And are the smoke-shadow things worth while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

DGKK is one of the most hated guilds on MT so it's probably that.

• Locked thread