Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
If you're using a shield you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Yeah, Knights are all about the 2-handers. Shields definitely seem a bit underpowered though, except for possibly the MAA's heater shield.

dog nougat posted:

fixed that for ye.
Fair enough. :v:

YF-23 posted:

In my experience (take it with a grain of salt, I'm not a good player), vanguards have noticeably better footwork than knights (because they're more agile), and footwork is a very large component of combat.
The difference in base/sprint speed between Knights and Vanguards is about ~7.5% at most, although Vanguards are a bit better at strafing and backpedaling. I've never found that nearly as beneficial as the extra defense Knights have, though your mileage may vary.

Edit: v Don't feel obligated to use a shield when going Knight, even if you use a bastard sword; they're usually worse for defense except for protecting against Archers.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 28, 2013

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hilarion posted:

If you're using a shield you're doing it wrong.

Yeah only reason I'm using it now is to unlock some weapons but it really needs to be improved. It's not just underpowered but you also feel kind of inert since you move slow and you just have to wait for the other guy to make some kind of mistake for you to maybe take advantage of. Everyone plays vanguard because you can be active and actually have a duel that feels real rather than a rock paper scissors fight.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
What the gently caress are you guys talking about? Shields let you completely ignore archers and feints. I use shield all the time and do just fine, I don't understand why you guys think it's such garbage. Shield and broadsword on the knight is loving awesome, just run in and block motherfuckers swings left and right, then hack them to bits like it's going out of style.

If you don't like shields personally, fine, but it's retarded to say that they are worthless.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Slappy Moose posted:

What the gently caress are you guys talking about? Shields let you completely ignore archers and feints. I use shield all the time and do just fine, I don't understand why you guys think it's such garbage. Shield and broadsword on the knight is loving awesome, just run in and block motherfuckers swings left and right, then hack them to bits like it's going out of style.

If you don't like shields personally, fine, but it's retarded to say that they are worthless.

Yeah, seconding this. I've found I do way better when using a shield as MAA. Heater shield plus broadsword is loving awesome. Avoid the buckler like the plague though, it takes up way too much screen space and I think it may still be broken (as in it doesn't block poo poo). It's hard to go back to not having a shield cause archers can plink away at me with impunity, but chucking a firepot :supaburn:into a group is still worth the trade-off for the screams alone.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Slappy Moose posted:

In certain situations it works that way for me, but very often blows seem to land which shouldn't have - particularly when someone gets very up close to me and their sword hand seems to clip through my shield. I understand that you should be able to hit past the shield with backhands and overheads but it's weird when an MAA can just dodge into my shield and hit me with a horizontal strike while they are dryhumping me.

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

So while waiting for a match to finish, I found out we were being...watched:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

So the steam group often has no one playing Chivalry in it, anyone up for playing tonight?

Steam name Woodrow Skillson.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah I'm not sure what's up with the wooden cows, there are also some on the "get the petard to the gate map" on the hill behind the catapult.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Whats the update on this game? I played it for about 50-60 hours right when it first came out, and had a great time. I took a break before the first big patch hit, but I remember reading it dad way more bad than good. What is the state of the game now?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
They've actually balanced it pretty well now. I still feel like vanguards are bit faster swinging than they need to be, but that's just me complaining. There's still the issue of full damage at all points during a swing.

I was playing on a server earlier today where there were dudes running around with 3-500 pings. It was loving awful trying to fight them. They'd teleport everywhere and end up killing me while winding up a swing. I tried to votekick them, but for some reason people refused to kick them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Whats the update on this game? I played it for about 50-60 hours right when it first came out, and had a great time. I took a break before the first big patch hit, but I remember reading it dad way more bad than good. What is the state of the game now?

I think it's doing well right now, terrain still can get you hosed up sometimes, and parrying and blocking are still not always perfect, but in general its fine. Slappy Moose tends to be the most critical of the posters here, though he is not making anything up, so if what he is annoyed by bothers you too than I imagine you will not be a huge fan still.

If you are not bothered much by some random tks and some bullshit deaths from some buggy/broken mechanics, its a blast.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I think it's doing well right now, terrain still can get you hosed up sometimes, and parrying and blocking are still not always perfect, but in general its fine. Slappy Moose tends to be the most critical of the posters here, though he is not making anything up, so if what he is annoyed by bothers you too than I imagine you will not be a huge fan still.

If you are not bothered much by some random tks and some bullshit deaths from some buggy/broken mechanics, its a blast.

I hadn't played in a few months, and just started again yesterday. Aside from the usual stupid teammates that are determined to fill my back with as many spears and daggers as possible, the game feels much better than it did before.

The game is very fun right now, as it is. It's probably one of my favorite games ever. The gore and testosterone inducing combat are just loving awesome and unlike any other game out there. There are still lovely game design choices and bugs, but I'll be damned if I don't genuinely enjoy playing it. Definitely one of the most worthwhile video game purchases I've ever made.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I bought this game a while ago but finally tried it out in a FFA server and it is fantastic. Can you bind voice shortcuts to certain keys? I want x -> 8 to be more immediately accessible.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
I don't know about binding specific voice commands but if you press X twice it'll flip the list, meaning you only have to press 3 instead of 8.

dog nougat posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what's up with the wooden cows, there are also some on the "get the petard to the gate map" on the hill behind the catapult.

There's a cow on (almost?) every map, hard to spot if you aren't spectating or on a low gravity server.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Reiley posted:

I bought this game a while ago but finally tried it out in a FFA server and it is fantastic. Can you bind voice shortcuts to certain keys? I want x -> 8 to be more immediately accessible.

Hit x or z a second time to flip the menu, so x-8 becomes x-x-2 I think.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
shift+c

shift+c

shift+c

c-*die*

I just got this game, and I hate how often, mid-duel, I will try to be a jerk and do a running warcry, but not hold shift, and then spin my sword around as the dude cuts my head off :(.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Archer is really, really fun when you finally become good at it.

Why would you want to play a ranged class in a game centered on hilarious hand to hand combat?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Why would you want to play a ranged class in a game centered on hilarious hand to hand combat?

Raining arrows down on people as they futilely grab the ram is hilarious.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 31, 2013

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Don't worry, there's still plenty of melee action to be had as an archer. And it's even more hilarious killing someone when you're a scrawny dude wielding a dagger and everyone hates you.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Because their rage in chat is wonderful. Also once you get a hang of it Archery is kind of awesome and it's not like you're going to be shooting people all the time. At least half the time you're bringing out the cudgel and exploding heads.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Blimpkin posted:

I just got this game, and I hate how often, mid-duel, I will try to be a jerk and do a running warcry, but not hold shift, and then spin my sword around as the dude cuts my head off :(.

The last time I accidentally did that salute thing mid-fight, my opponent had the e-honoure to respond in kind. Thing is, he didn't get to finish his salute because a MaA from my team blindsided him and took his head off.
I guess you kinda had to be there, but the whole thing just had such an impeccable comedic timing I nearly pissed myself laughing.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
If you change your weapon you will exit the standing war cry animation.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I played on a Free-for-All server and had a lot of fun and did really well but I didn't get any experience from it so I jumped on a Team Objective server and the minute my boots hit the ground I'm getting arrow shot from behind and my teammates are diving in front of my greatsword just as I'm about to bring it down on some idiot's head. This game is awesome.

Is there a trick to breaking duels where you both parry and riposte and parry the riposte and parry the riposte and twang twang twang until someone runs out of energy or slips up? I know there's a Kick button but I keep not-remembering to use it or what that's applicable for, would Kicking a dude break a block fight?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Reiley posted:

I played on a Free-for-All server and had a lot of fun and did really well but I didn't get any experience from it so I jumped on a Team Objective server and the minute my boots hit the ground I'm getting arrow shot from behind and my teammates are diving in front of my greatsword just as I'm about to bring it down on some idiot's head. This game is awesome.

Is there a trick to breaking duels where you both parry and riposte and parry the riposte and parry the riposte and twang twang twang until someone runs out of energy or slips up? I know there's a Kick button but I keep not-remembering to use it or what that's applicable for, would Kicking a dude break a block fight?

Also feinting. Pressing q or the block button will stop your swing and hopefully make him parry early.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Reiley posted:

Well you can feint and then quickly swing again after he parries nothing but air. There is a cooldown before you can parry again and usually you can get a hit in if you feint properly.

I think q is feint by default. Not sure.

e: beaten by that dude above me.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Alternatively you can just delay your attack for a split second. Most opponents expect a counterattack after a parry so they'll put up their own parry by reflex.

Edit: Also, kicking in this situation tends to be a bad idea unless your opponent uses a shield. If they do use a shield though, doing a feint-attack and then kicking works most of the time.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 31, 2013

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

All good answers, thank you. Truly none of you are Men of Wax.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
You can also try ducking under horizontal attacks by crouching and looking down at the same time, moving back out of their attack range so they wiff and leave an opening during their recovery animation or manipulate how fast your attack moves with mouse drags (e.g. if you're doing a right-to-left horizontal attack look to your left to make the attack hit them earlier, or to your right to make it reach them later, either should throw off their block timing).

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
This game rules. My computer turns into a slide show at certain times but drat if it isn't fun when things go run. I've been getting good at being an archer. Since learning to rely more on the short sword for now. I love when I see someone getting their butt kicked and i run up as they duck behind a rock and THWOMP right in their loving face. poo poo owns.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Reiley posted:

Because of that exact situation it's a good idea to try and out-distance a swing rather than parry it, especially if it's a short weapon. So they swing, you back out of range of the blow, then push in for an attack. It's faster than parrying and moving into swing range is faster than the recovery from a block, so it works out.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Because of that exact situation it's a good idea to try and out-distance a swing rather than parry it, especially if it's a short weapon. So they swing, you back out of range of the blow, then push in for an attack. It's faster than parrying and moving into swing range is faster than the recovery from a block, so it works out.

When is it good to kick? Is that only for Knights and Man-at-Arms with shields in their faces or is it something you generally don't need to do at all?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Reiley posted:

When is it good to kick? Is that only for Knights and Man-at-Arms with shields in their faces or is it something you generally don't need to do at all?

The problem for the kick (at least in my experiences) is that it breaks their guard but also knocks them away somewhat, so you have to wind down from the kick, move up to them, and attack. This works fine for lighter classes with faster weapons, but if you're using a big gently caress-off two-hander then they can sometimes recover before you can connect. I almost never use it except for knocking people off things and don't really see the difference.

That being said, it is good for turtling enemies if you can't get around to the side of them with a poke.

E. Note that the back-off-then-attack method only works if they are actively attacking you, which is usually what happens but not always. So if you're just circling around waiting for the other to strike then a kick is a good opener as long as they're right in your face and can't back away from it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 1, 2013

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I often would run into certain players that I knew would block after getting hit once to regroup themselves so I'd kick after each hit and it's brutally effective, especially on knights and vanguards. Slash, kick, slash, slash, kick, slash has dropped countless good players for me.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I'm about to hop on, steam name Woodrow Skillson

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Feinting is amazing. I'll equip some huge gently caress off sword and charge and as I'm attacking I'll warcry and then feint my first attack while not breaking stride, and then come through with a quick left to right swipe then right to left and just keep running on.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just had an amazing round of LTS, we just completely rushed and dominated the masons on the moors map all of us spamming Shift + C constantly. :black101:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Either there is a whole bunch of people using 'soft cheats' in this game (i.e, slight speed boost and faster swings) or this game punishes high latency more than any other game I've ever played. Just played some duels and went something like 2-10, terrible. People take me out in 1-2 swings all the time and are always stuck to my rear end no matter what I do.

This game is still very frustrating, the real-time swings mechanism is utter stupidity.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I feel your pain, and its even worse on a larger server but I've found in duels at least, that things that would normally end in death end in victory. Such as feinting or ducking. Also being lucky in a swing and connecting allows you to mash it and hopefully land 2 more swings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Reiley posted:

Kicking is great in 2v1. You can avoid maiming your teammate and the short stun effect gives your pal a free swing. If you have enough stamina you can just take turns kicking the guy to death.

• Locked thread