Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
The only thing that keeps me from being sure it's all just in good fun is the two awkward WTF episodes they've had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
They've both got points, and Michael Ian Black might be kind of a whore in terms of always being on those VH1 "I Love the __'s" shows, but if you only knew three things about Marc Maron, one of those would undoubtedly be that he is incredibly resentful of anyone that came up around the same time who found any semblance of success where he didn't. I mean, no matter what your opinion is on the guy, the fact remains that almost anyone who knows who he is knows him from WTF and not things he's done outside of that.

On the surface, and based on some of his interests and choice of guests, Marc seems like a cool dude, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of person you'd want to be around for any length of time.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I dunno, Marc's issue with Michael seems to just be that "you loving $ellout" bullshit that you're supposed to grow out of when you become an adult and learn that it's nice to make a decent living if you want a family and a house and stuff.

Michael Ian Black still does a bunch of genuinely funny, cool stuff. Who gives a poo poo if he writes some kids books or appears on VH1 now and then to make some money.

E - Or maybe I'm taking their twitter 'spat' too seriously and it's nothing.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

tnimark posted:

I dunno, Marc's issue with Michael seems to just be that "you loving $ellout" bullshit that you're supposed to grow out of when you become an adult and learn that it's nice to make a decent living if you want a family and a house and stuff.

Michael Ian Black still does a bunch of genuinely funny, cool stuff. Who gives a poo poo if he writes some kids books or appears on VH1 now and then to make some money.

E - Or maybe I'm taking their twitter 'spat' too seriously and it's nothing.

To clarify, I wasn't disparaging Michael Ian Black; if anything, The State, Wet Hot American Summer and Stella have given him a lifetime pass to do whatever the gently caress he wants. I mean, after all, it's not like he made bank on those projects, as great as they were. And it's not like, if the producers had invited him, Marc wouldn't have been right there alongside him in pop culture revue shows ragging on the poo poo it's fashionable to loathe or cringe at in retrospect. It's easy to say you're above this or that when the fact is that you probably weren't even considered as a candidate to take part.

edit: and as you said, there may not be anything more to this than just kidding around or generating publicity since Marc's been making the rounds to promote his show.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

theradiostillsucks posted:

To clarify, I wasn't disparaging Michael Ian Black; if anything, The State, Wet Hot American Summer and Stella have given him a lifetime pass to do whatever the gently caress he wants. I mean, after all, it's not like he made bank on those projects, as great as they were. And it's not like, if the producers had invited him, Marc wouldn't have been right there alongside him in pop culture revue shows ragging on the poo poo it's fashionable to loathe or cringe at in retrospect. It's easy to say you're above this or that when the fact is that you probably weren't even considered as a candidate to take part.

edit: and as you said, there may not be anything more to this than just kidding around or generating publicity since Marc's been making the rounds to promote his show.

And Viva Variety. A real money maker for all involved.

But seriously, Maron can be really petty about other people's success. He's expressed such about The State, and other things. And he can't seem to let it go that The State was successful while he was binged out in a corner somewhere. Plus he's said several times that he doesn't "get" character comedians, like Michael Ian Black. And since none of The State were ever "true" stand-ups in his eyes, Maron has a sort of greater-than-thou stance.

I've seen MIB twice and Maron once (because he avoids my state apparently). I had weird interactions with them both. But they're both great live. Go see them.

substitute fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 23, 2013

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Does Maron not realize that he's a character comedian?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

epitasis posted:

Does Maron not realize that he's a character comedian?

Character comedians hang their schtick on the coatrack when they get home

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Just got the App/Premium the other day and working through some of the ones in the OP. Listened to the Carlos Mencia ones and yes, it pretty much cemented the fact the guy is a douche and doesn't deserve his success. Dane Cook I didn't like before listening, listened to the podcast, he was very sincere on it I have a much lighter view of him now. The Gallagher one though was amazing, I can't believe he walked out on Marc when he was just asking questions. That was a good podcast. I am pretty much hooked on WTF now having only heard it this week from this thread.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Flaggy posted:

Just got the App/Premium the other day and working through some of the ones in the OP. Listened to the Carlos Mencia ones and yes, it pretty much cemented the fact the guy is a douche and doesn't deserve his success. Dane Cook I didn't like before listening, listened to the podcast, he was very sincere on it I have a much lighter view of him now. The Gallagher one though was amazing, I can't believe he walked out on Marc when he was just asking questions. That was a good podcast. I am pretty much hooked on WTF now having only heard it this week from this thread.

You've pretty much peaked. You just named some of the best episodes. Look up the Bob Zmuda interview, it's loving amazing. Lots of stuff about Kaufman, of course, but the stuff about Norman Wexler is god damned unbelievable and amazing.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
The Bob Golub episode is pretty amazing too. What some people would do to get a part in a movie!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Dick Van Dyke, and Michael Keaton interviews are all great and pretty recent. The podcast is definitely not running out of steam or anything.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
The Todd Hanson episode is pretty goddamn intense and well worth listening to.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Flaggy posted:

I know it can be difficult to listen to pete holmes but Dane definitely seems like a decent dude who had a lot of lovely things happen to him which coincided with the waning of his popularity. Whether you like his comedy or not, it's hard to ascribe the total rear end in a top hat moniker to him after hearing his story in his words.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Politicalrancor posted:

I know it can be difficult to listen to pete holmes but Dane definitely seems like a decent dude who had a lot of lovely things happen to him which coincided with the waning of his popularity. Whether you like his comedy or not, it's hard to ascribe the total rear end in a top hat moniker to him after hearing his story in his words.

The minute I saw his appearance on Louie it started to dawn on me that he probably is a lot cooler than I used to give him credit for

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Billy Bragg is loving great.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Did anybody listen to the Rob Schneider episode? Is it worth listening to? I ask as someone who does not enjoy his work even a little.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

tnimark posted:

Did anybody listen to the Rob Schneider episode? Is it worth listening to? I ask as someone who does not enjoy his work even a little.

It's ok but kinda boring. They're friendly and it's weird cause Schneider uses non-swears (freaking?) which always creeps me out. Other than that it was interesting enough to listen to while driving though it won't do anything to change your life.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Ariza posted:

It's ok but kinda boring. They're friendly and it's weird cause Schneider uses non-swears (freaking?) which always creeps me out. Other than that it was interesting enough to listen to while driving though it won't do anything to change your life.

Also Rob Schneider definitely seems at peace with being Rob Schneider - I expected him to be a little more delusional, honestly, so that's good.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I'm quite amused by his affection for my people

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

tnimark posted:

Pretty good. I had no idea he was a stand-up, I always pegged him as a sketch or improv guy.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Watching this week's Maron and I noticed that Dennis Leary was a producer. I wonder what the connection is there and why we haven't had a Leary episode yet. Am I missing something on this. I just thought that was neat/ odd.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Leary is in the pilot or whichever boring episode they had on YouTube before the debut.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Leary's production company is involved in making the show.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed how bad of an actor Marc is? I just watched the latest episode and he's really wooden and monotone. Sounds almost like he's reading the lines or something.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
He is pretty awful and he's even playing himself. I'll still watch every episode they put out because I like him making money and I dig the cable networks giving these comedians cheap little shows to do. It's still better than any of the awful big network comedian shows (Whitney!) I've seen over the last few years. I do dislike supporting Learys fake shithead rear end.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ariza posted:

He is pretty awful and he's even playing himself. I'll still watch every episode they put out because I like him making money and I dig the cable networks giving these comedians cheap little shows to do. It's still better than any of the awful big network comedian shows (Whitney!) I've seen over the last few years. I do dislike supporting Learys fake shithead rear end.

Why do you hate Leary?

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Flaggy posted:

Why do you hate Leary?

Denis Leary stole a good deal of his early act from Bill Hicks.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
A better question is: why would you like Denis leary

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
Goddamn John Fogerty sounds like a slightly different Fred Willard when just talking

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Auritech posted:

Combination of this and the annoying Boston Irish tough guy poo poo. I guess I prefer neurotic narcissistic assholes like Maron. It's dumb but I was obsessed with Hicks when I was an angry teenager and the Leary poo poo just stuck in my craw.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Auritech posted:

Huh, and I really had no idea about that. Need to look into that later. Was it jokes or just mannerisms. Sorry for the derail. I

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
It wasnt just hicks. He also took a lot of lesser known boston comics stuff, too.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

jyrka posted:

Anyway, has anyone else noticed how bad of an actor Marc is? I just watched the latest episode and he's really wooden and monotone. Sounds almost like he's reading the lines or something.

He does seem pretty cognizant of this, though; he's been saying for months that he should probably take acting lessons and that he doesn't consider himself an actor.

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void

Dancing Potato posted:

He does seem pretty cognizant of this, though; he's been saying for months that he should probably take acting lessons and that he doesn't consider himself an actor.
Well... yeah. So he should've taken some acting lessons.

Some responsibility needs to rest with the directors too, though.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'd say the onus is almost entirely on Maron though. He's the creator, star, and executive producer. Sure the director may have to coax a performance out, but there's only so much he can do...especially given the way the show is built.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

manyak posted:

A better question is: why would you like Denis leary

You're 17 years old and it's 1994. That was my excuse, anyway. I thought Rescue Me was pretty decent, though.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Phil Hendrie expressing sincere regret for his post-9/11 rants healed something inside of me I had long forgotten was hurt. He was one of those comedians that went a little nuts after 9/11 and got angry and politically right. Phil was one of my comedy heroes in my early teens, but his changing attitude really soured me on him and I gradually stopped listening then sort of forgot about him. But man, what a shockingly unique comedic brilliance his classic show was. I've been having a nostalgia trip listening to his old episodes all morning and realizing how much of an impact he had on my comedic tastes.

Staying up late at night listening to AM radio on my knock-off Walkman, hearing hours of Phil Hendrie, and Art Bell, and Phil Hendrie making fun of Art Bell, what a formative influence it had on me without me realizing it.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Now, if only we could get Dennis Miller back. He was loving great back during the 90s and his HBO late-night show and poo poo.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Now, if only we could get Dennis Miller back. He was loving great back during the 90s and his HBO late-night show and poo poo.

I like to think that in Fringe's B universe, where 9-11 never happened, Phil Hendrie and Dennis Miller never stopped being funny.

Phil's show after 9-11 was absolutely bizarre for a lot of reasons. The obvious was just how angry he was after the attacks, and he would take an hour or two out of his show every night yelling at callers about the Iraq war and spewing a lot of really egregious "towel head" poo poo.

When he did his actual schtick, I really think his anger inspired him and he did some of the funniest, edgiest stuff he'd ever done. Part of what makes Phil such an amazing performer is that he had no qualms about mocking even his own deeply held beliefs. He took a lot of potshots at the pussy liberal agenda, but he was especially funny when he was picking apart the hawks and loving with the angry, pro-war callers. I don't think he ever got his callers angrier until he came up with his "reformed pedophile" character.

Unfortunately, he sabotaged so many amazing bits during that era because he was so frustrated by how his career was turning out. He'd get a caller whipped up into a fury and then abruptly kill the bit and go into a five minute diatribe about how he was in fact doing all the voices and suckering the callers because he's just so goddamn brilliant and hey how come I don't have a movie/television career this is so UNFAIR.

Phil's always been his very worst enemy for a multitude of reasons (the guy is legit nuts), but there is no denying that he is one of the greatest perfomers in the audio realm. If any of you guys haven't heard his show, do yourself a favor and pony up for a month of his subscription service and take a listen. He's one of a kind.

So, uh, that's my essay about Phil Hendrie.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Are any of these classic bits on Youtube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Beeez posted:

Are any of these classic bits on Youtube?

Dear goons,

how do I type "Phil Hendrie" into youtube? tia

• Locked thread