Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
Okay I have a request. It's really vague but I'm trying to remember a show that had played. It was on Disney I believe though I can't find it on Wikipedia. Something about a teenager or two who finds a rift in between two power lines/towers. They went to an alternate dimension. I think. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Land of the Lost. Something something a person goes out of the portal and uses magic?

It's very frustrating when all you have are vague recollections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh my god, nostalgia hit me like a truck. I watched altogether far more Guyver than any child should. I could probably recite all 12 episodes from memory.

Gyro Zeppeli has a new favorite as of 11:13 on May 14, 2013

hereyoume
Nov 26, 2002

i'm happy because i got kisses!

Rickycat posted:

Okay I have a request. It's really vague but I'm trying to remember a show that had played. It was on Disney I believe though I can't find it on Wikipedia. Something about a teenager or two who finds a rift in between two power lines/towers. They went to an alternate dimension. I think. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Land of the Lost. Something something a person goes out of the portal and uses magic?

It's very frustrating when all you have are vague recollections.

I'm almost positive you're talking about Spellbinder.

Speaking of obscure Disney shows, anyone watch Danger Bay? It was about a marine biologist, his two kids, and them fighting crime against ecological meanies.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

hereyoume posted:

I'm almost positive you're talking about Spellbinder.

Yes! Thank you! Scanned the pilot episode and it's the show I'm thinking of. I don't remember the accents which is why I didn't think to look at Australian shows in the 90's. Thanks again :)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Not just Australian, also Polish!

Great show, I loved it as a kid and a while back I watched part of the first season again.

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007
My girlfriend and I were talking about stupid stuff kids would draw on their classwork when we were kids. Turns out we both knew about this "S". We would see kids draw it all the time, and we even started doing it. Does anyone know its origins?

Here it is.. I don't know why I remember how to draw it, but I do..

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

RunFish posted:

My girlfriend and I were talking about stupid stuff kids would draw on their classwork when we were kids. Turns out we both knew about this "S". We would see kids draw it all the time, and we even started doing it. Does anyone know its origins?

Holy poo poo, my friend would draw that on his notebooks all the time. I'm guessing it's from a skateboard brand.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

RunFish posted:

I was on a three-hour train trip about six months ago, and I drew some dragons for the little kid in front of me because his mother seemed pretty frazzled and it kept him entertained. In return, he drew me one of those! :3: So wherever it comes from, it's still around.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

RunFish posted:

I drew them all the time, it didn't hurt that my name begins with an S. The true masters of the "90's S" could make them in 3d.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Yeah, I used to make them in 3D at school. Itched it into my desk with a compass / divider caliper (whatever it's called in English, this thing)
I remember a thread about it here on SA a year or two ago. I can't find it now, so it's probably archived, but I think I've got it bookmarked on my home computer.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I hope I'm still alive in 2042 when the NICKELODEON TIME CAPSULE is dug up, and people in the 2040's can experience all the awesome that was 1992.

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007
I always thought "90s S" was some really bad rear end gang sign, because after awhile it was all but outlawed at my school, but I'm guessing that just fueled the fire even more.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I've always heard it called a "Stussy S" after the skateboard brand, but I'm sure it didn't originate there.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I love the conspiracies around it :allears:
There's some real crazy :tinfoil: :derp: poo poo out there about it. Some people think it's an occult symbol.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

hereyoume posted:

Speaking of obscure Disney shows, anyone watch Danger Bay? It was about a marine biologist, his two kids, and them fighting crime against ecological meanies.

The early days of the Disney Channel were a little weird at times, but then again it was pretty awesome at times. Stuff like Danger Bay (which was awesome and as I kid I loved it), Under the Umbrella Tree, and other things that aired during the day time were enough to keep my mind busy during day and when it switch over to Disney Nighttime, I knew that it was time to go to bed. The one thing that they broadcasted during the nighttime block was something called "The American Legacy," which I still can't confirm that it really did air because of the fact that I have yet to find any information that it exists. I also remeber that they aired a documentary about the 1992 summer games that probably aired in 1993 called "Barcelona 1993: 16 Days of Glory." I don't remember too much about it, but I do remember seeing clips of it during the day and one of the things was the indoor bicycle race, which still blows my mind to this day.

Today's Disney Channel is pretty horrible. I wish that they would do a channel like Cartoon Network tried to do, where the play nothing but old shows.

Also, check this out and see how much of it you remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJfNdb7d-cs

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Retail Slave posted:

I hope I'm still alive in 2042 when the NICKELODEON TIME CAPSULE is dug up, and people in the 2040's can experience all the awesome that was 1992.

Apparently the time capsule does contain a box of Hostess Twinkies. If so, it could be the most valuable item in the whole box. Who would have guessed back then?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I've always heard it called a "Stussy S" after the skateboard brand, but I'm sure it didn't originate there.

In south Florida we always called it a "Surfers S". There probably isn't some hidden meaning or anything behind it and it's just a way that several people picked up on to draw an S.

We also had the "Surfers Chain" which was just a bunch of them tied together.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ema Nymton posted:

Apparently the time capsule does contain a box of Hostess Twinkies. If so, it could be the most valuable item in the whole box. Who would have guessed back then?

Twinkies are coming back! Speaking of which, am I crazy or were people in the 90s crazy over fast food? I feel like every movie from that period involves McDonalds or Taco Bell. I can't really judge for myself because I was a chubby little kid in the 90s, so of course I loving loved fast food.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Coffee And Pie posted:

Twinkies are coming back! Speaking of which, am I crazy or were people in the 90s crazy over fast food? I feel like every movie from that period involves McDonalds or Taco Bell. I can't really judge for myself because I was a chubby little kid in the 90s, so of course I loving loved fast food.

Taco Bell did win the fast food wars

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

screenwritersblues posted:

The early days of the Disney Channel were a little weird at times, but then again it was pretty awesome at times. Stuff like Danger Bay (which was awesome and as I kid I loved it), Under the Umbrella Tree, and other things that aired during the day time were enough to keep my mind busy during day and when it switch over to Disney Nighttime, I knew that it was time to go to bed. The one thing that they broadcasted during the nighttime block was something called "The American Legacy," which I still can't confirm that it really did air because of the fact that I have yet to find any information that it exists. I also remeber that they aired a documentary about the 1992 summer games that probably aired in 1993 called "Barcelona 1993: 16 Days of Glory." I don't remember too much about it, but I do remember seeing clips of it during the day and one of the things was the indoor bicycle race, which still blows my mind to this day.

Today's Disney Channel is pretty horrible. I wish that they would do a channel like Cartoon Network tried to do, where the play nothing but old shows.

Also, check this out and see how much of it you remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJfNdb7d-cs

I'm almost positive there was a live-action Winnie the Pooh and Dumbo's Circus that was on in the mornings on Disney Channel into the early 90's.

Also my brother and I loving LOVED two particular Saturday Morning Cartoons: Prostars (where animated versions of Bo Jackson, Wayne Gretzky, and Michael Jordan used their skills to fight crime. It was as bad/awesome as it sounds), and Space Cats, with the giant floating disembodied head of Charles Nelson Reilly.

That's the one thing I miss most about the 90's: Saturday Morning Cartoons. Kids today have no idea how awesome it was to wake up on Saturday Morning, pour yourself a big bowl of sugary cereal, and watch 3 hours of loving awesome cartoons before going outside to play with your friends or play video games or something.

BigBallChunkyTime has a new favorite as of 04:26 on May 30, 2013

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Croccers posted:

I love the conspiracies around it :allears:
There's some real crazy :tinfoil: :derp: poo poo out there about it. Some people think it's an occult symbol.

It's one of the world's first viral memes. Spread from kid to kid, with just a little hint of the occult/forbidden to make sure people stay interested.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yes people were crazy over fast food, and it wasn't just the 90's, but probably even more so the 80's. Fast food was still cool and new and fun then, and people didn't yet give a poo poo about the nutrition. Seriously, no one gave a poo poo about the nutrition of restaurant food until like the early 2000s. In Back to the Future Part II (1989, close enough), what was the vision of how people would eat in the future? Motherfuckin' Pizza Hut in every house. Look at TMNT and the obsession with pizza. Or think about how culturally significant the McDonalds monopoly games were, or Pepsi points.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Retail Slave posted:

I'm almost positive there was a live-action Winnie the Pooh and Dumbo's Circus that was on in the mornings on Disney Channel into the early 90's.

You'd be correct.

Pooh Corner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fYCnZB_X7M

Dumbo's Circus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=attoEWTbhrs

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

lazer_chicken posted:

Yes people were crazy over fast food, and it wasn't just the 90's, but probably even more so the 80's. Fast food was still cool and new and fun then, and people didn't yet give a poo poo about the nutrition. Seriously, no one gave a poo poo about the nutrition of restaurant food until like the early 2000s. In Back to the Future Part II (1989, close enough), what was the vision of how people would eat in the future? Motherfuckin' Pizza Hut in every house. Look at TMNT and the obsession with pizza. Or think about how culturally significant the McDonalds monopoly games were, or Pepsi points.

The weirdest part is how cool/hip young adults are all about the Big Gulp and the terrible gas station food. It's definitely not cool to go to 7/11 anymore. Must have been the whole "slacker" thing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

I watched these in the 80's. Holy loving poo poo, that's the very definition of "camp" right there.

I know there was also "Pinwheel"-- Disney Channel's version of Sesame Street, but that was off the air before the 90's I think. I watched that before school in the late 80's.

Also I came across my old Game Genie about a year ago while helping my mom clean out a closet in her house. I wish I had held onto that thing. I spent HOURS loving with codes and altering them slightly just to see what they would do. I nearly laughed myself sick when one code gave Mario a big brown square head and green rectangle body. But he could jump like 3 times as high.

http://www.retrojunk.com/commercial/show/24169/game-genie-commercial

BigBallChunkyTime has a new favorite as of 04:35 on May 30, 2013

InternetBully
Mar 17, 2004
I bully, on the internet.
These two products were in just about every Nickelodeon commercial break for a while:

and

Plus any show with prizes had to give away Skechers (It's the S!).

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting

1-800-441-2400 was the default 800 number for everything in the 90's.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

InternetBully posted:

And the much coveted trip to Space Camp.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

InternetBully posted:

BK Ratch Tech or die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYbTIw6nePI
I still want a pair

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

It looks like that 'S' made it all the way to the Netherlands, because I remember drawing that stuff in the late '90's. We thought it was a super secret Satanic symbol :ssh:

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
So, I recently found out that this exists and I watched it all yesterday at work:

http://nickreboot.com/

Secret world of Alex Mack comes on next, the Are You Afraid of the Dark, followed by Kenan and Kel

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

InternetBully posted:

Oh god, I had a tub of these! :3: I had glow in the dark ones too, and I melted a brick trying to "charge" it on a lightbulb

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

screenwritersblues posted:

I remember the UK Disney Channel, for quite some time, had this kind of "all day Live and Kicking" format, with a regular team of presenters in a studio between each programme. They introduced each cartoon, presented competitions and so on, before the channel shifted to its more recognisable "all shows, all the time" format that endures to this day.

I also distinctly remember the Disney Channel having this kind of showcase segment for (what I now assume was) fan-made animation. There was this clay-mation one that still sticks out to me, about a guy who's in a subway train when he's transported to potential alternate futures by a mysterious voice, including one in which people "dance until they die" and another in which the Earth is destroyed by a meteor strike.

They also had this series of pretty crude CGI shorts called Tube-Dwellers, about two repairmen called Bob and Bob who lived inside the television set.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Metal Loaf posted:

They also had this series of pretty crude CGI shorts called Tube-Dwellers, about two repairmen called Bob and Bob who lived inside the television set.

Before I finished reading your description I thought it was pretty cold for the Disney Channel to have a show about homeless people living in the Tube.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Saw these somewhere and had a blast from the past.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
I get the chills thinking that one day this fuckwit may be right
Even though it premiered at the very end of the 90's, I don't think there's anything more 90's than the fact that there was a TV show called Shasta McNasty.

Does anyone remember those books "My Teacher Is An Alien"? I remember there were a few of them, and I read them all, and the last one was called "My Teacher Flunked the Planet".

Also, Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

OdorousTobacco posted:

Even though it premiered at the very end of the 90's, I don't think there's anything more 90's than the fact that there was a TV show called Shasta McNasty.

Does anyone remember those books "My Teacher Is An Alien"? I remember there were a few of them, and I read them all, and the last one was called "My Teacher Flunked the Planet".

Also, Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing.

I remember a series with books with titles such as "Ghosts Don't Eat Potato Chips" and "Aliens Don't Wear Braces." If I remember correctly, they basically taught kids to be skeptics...Mulder would have hated it.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Saw these somewhere and had a blast from the past.

Oh, I see someone posted the same poo poo on your facebook today too?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Retail Slave posted:

I know there was also "Pinwheel"-- Disney Channel's version of Sesame Street, but that was off the air before the 90's I think. I watched that before school in the late 80's.

"Pinwheel" was on Nickelodeon.

It's also an excellent case of what I've come to call the Watch a Few Episodes of "Sesame Street" and Think, "Hell! WE Could Do That!" school of children's television production. It had the puppets, it had the humans, it had the short films, and it had basic preschool skills like letters and numbers. What it did not have, notably, was the veritable army of educators and child psychologists reviewing every moment of every episode. Oops.

Several of the puppet characters were basically straight-up Find/Replace versions of the "Sesame Street" Muppets, only a lot stranger and kind of unsettling. For example, their Oscar equivalent was an old man who looked kind of like the Ice King, was puke-green in color, practiced dark magic ("She asked me to make her a cocoa! So I literally transformed her from a self-aware, living, not-easily-edible human being into a cup of cocoa!" :gonk: ), and who lived in a dark dank basement collecting weeds. Yeah.

On the other hand, "Pinwheel" was a pretty awesome showcase for international animated shorts. Here's the opening theme and a video of the puppeteers on the show.

You can't mention "Welcome to Pooh Corner" without bringing up the most well-meaning but aggressively unpleasant forty minutes of children's television ever produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

My mom made me watch this video several times.

• Locked thread