Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I had a spot where I wasn't sure what to do next, so I got my men together, hopped on a boat and went a-raidin'.

I sacked Rome and then headed over to Venice. Once that place had been burned to the ground, Rome was ready for looting again, so I paid the Pope a visit on the way home.
1000 ducats? Don't mind if I do, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
This new casus belli that lets you invade other de jure territories is pretty overpowered. Almost makes it impossible to start as anything other than a petty king without save scumming or getting really lucky. Ostlandet pretty much stomps your face in if you start as any minor province in Norway.

Playing as Mann looks pretty hard as you're surrounded by catholics. Burn it all down. :black101:

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

spacebard posted:

This new casus belli that lets you invade other de jure territories is pretty overpowered. Almost makes it impossible to start as anything other than a petty king without save scumming or getting really lucky. Ostlandet pretty much stomps your face in if you start as any minor province in Norway.

Is it just me or does Ostlandet pretty much jump on the player straight away if he's one of the Norwegian minors? The second run I played I beat him by raiding enough money for a mercenary company, and I'm not the ruler of most of western Norway which is fun.

I think CK2+ has spoiled me with it's slower pacing, it feels like everything (as in, the game's events, not system performance) moves so quickly without it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Cirofren posted:

For a moment I wondered if this was happening because my ruler had the lunatic trait.

I put on my wizard robe and hat...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
So once Ivar the Boneless conquers Scotland and grabs a bunch of holy sites and reforms the Norse religion and becomes the Fylksomething, the tooltip tells me that the Fylksomething can call a Great Holy War. So how the gently caress do I do that? 'Cause I am all about crusading in the name of Odin, motherfuckers.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Starting in Ireland was not the best idea when it comes to reforming the faith, I realized. :saddowns:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone else notice gavelkind being kind of broken now? Form Norway as the Jarl of Ostlandet and it keeps trying to give Akershus and Ostlandet to your second son, giving your primary heir only Norway and random_county_that_isn't_your_capital. Bit odd, that.

Edit: primary heir also loses Jarldom of Ostlandet.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 29, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Wow, started off as the boneless dude and had no idea how to win 2 wars at the same time. Got overwhelmed, accidentally invaded Scotland, then quit. Started a new game in Iceland. Raiding is incredible and makes life so much easier compared to getting actual money. Used that money to hire a mercenary company, overwhelmed my (previously) equal strength neighbor, formed the Petty Kingdom of Iceland.

I love this DLC. So much more fun (and faster!) than traditional methods.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Starting in Ireland was not the best idea when it comes to reforming the faith, I realized. :saddowns:

INor Russia. :(

I'll just have to be happy with my massive blob that expands like a cancer, feeds rebellious Slavic chiefs to Odin once the subjugation opinion modifier wears off, and implodes every generation because the heir NEVER inherits Rurik's Quick trait and always has at least one sibling, uncle, or niece who can run circles around him.

I still hate Gavelkind but at least it gives away coherent duchies most of the time now. Except when it gave the capital duchy (Novgorod/Holmgardr) to Rurik's brilliant granddaughter (who WOULD have been queen if rebels hadn't killed her dad and hosed up my plan) without any actual counties in Novgorod (which all went to the primary heir, Rurik's second son.)

Of course, since that plan means she now holds the two richest duchies in Rus worth of actual land, I think that's really just the game telling me to switch to her, overthrow her uncle, and play the murderous hybrid of Catherine the Great and Asha Greyjoy eight hundred years early.

Best DLC. :black101:

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 29, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Regarding the mod section of OP:
The LAA mod (for using 2GB+ of memory) is not needed anymore as CK2 has been LAA since 1.092.
The Performance mod seems to just make the map flat, it's not really anything to do with us being lazy (we are, but it is unrelated :p), the mod just makes the mapfile smaller by erasing the heights. It probably does help if you don't mind, or prefer, a flat map though.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Shadeoses posted:

There's an event chain where you summon :cthulhu:

:stare:

Ram Cthulhu in a longboat, all day every day. :black101:

jgbeagle posted:

And considering that he now works for PDX give it a week or two.

Woah, Paradox actually hired Wiz? I took a break from the Paradox thread for a few months. Holy poo poo, our lobbying worked!

Okay, we can't really take credit next to Wiz's own awesomeness, but still, that owns.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Those silly Northmen. :hawaaaafap:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
I've enjoyed the game so far. Right now while the balance gets sorted it feels like a really frantic race, first against the other Petty Kings in your kingdom and then for the easy to grab small lands. I'm looking forward to CK2+ or ProjectBalance (and ultimately 1.10.1 hopefully) settling on a level of balance where it's not such a race.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Based on comments from Paradox devs I think we'll continue to get dlc for another year or two.

Yeah, they just had a job opening hiring another guy specifically to work on event coding and scripting for future CK2 DLC.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, how do you do that thing where adventurers and other armies will flock under your banner for free? Certain pagans start with a few free armies for raiding, but I don't know how to get those back after I lose them for whatever reason (whoops, turns out Tyrol is the only irish county that will actually fight back)

"Prepared Invasion" via diplomacy with a non-pagan.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Those silly Northmen. :hawaaaafap:

If you're lustful it actually increases your opinion of that dude.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

New tech tip: your bought upgrades are applied to your present capital, if you move it you lose bonuses. It's a bitch if you've concentrated on demesne bonuses.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Sheep posted:

Anyone else notice gavelkind being kind of broken now? Form Norway as the Jarl of Ostlandet and it keeps trying to give Akershus and Ostlandet to your second son, giving your primary heir only Norway and random_county_that_isn't_your_capital. Bit odd, that.

Yeah, that seems to be the way gavelkind works now for some reason. The game kept trying to give away my capital to 2nd+ sons. I somehow managed to finagle my way around that until I reformed the Slavic faith and switched to elective succession, but if that had come to pass and I'd gotten stuck with one technologically backwater county and a couple of pretender super-dukes, things would have been really messy.

Well, they are messy now anyway, because apparently East Francia, stretching all the way to Brittany, Bordeaux and the Balkans, has decided to stop sitting on its hands and to start loving with me. I don't think there's anything I can do to hold them off.

Another possible bug I've found: when you reform the Slavic faith, it tells you that now your vassals will get upset if you keep their levies raised too long. I had gotten that penalty already while unreformed, however. I'm not sure if the tooltip is wrong or if the penalty shouldn't apply.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Seems about right.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Archaeology Hat posted:

Is it just me or does Ostlandet pretty much jump on the player straight away if he's one of the Norwegian minors? The second run I played I beat him by raiding enough money for a mercenary company, and I'm not the ruler of most of western Norway which is fun.

I think CK2+ has spoiled me with it's slower pacing, it feels like everything (as in, the game's events, not system performance) moves so quickly without it.

I let Ostlandet vassal me then subjugated a few counties he hadn't gotten around to, fabricated claims on another, raided up a few hundred gold for mercenaries and declared independence. No way he forms Norway before me.

Edit: nope he beat me.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 29, 2013

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Yeah, the more I'm playing this the more frustrated I'm getting with this gavelkind bullshit. Every time it's a race to see if I can reform the faith before whoever's doing well ends (hint: I can't), and if I can't, well, that's it, time for everything to go to poo poo!

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
On the topic of music that you should hear while raiding your way across Europe, have some Rebellion :black101:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Kainser posted:

Seems about right.

:what:
How does this happen? Possessed trait?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Yes.

The Mattybee posted:

Yeah, the more I'm playing this the more frustrated I'm getting with this gavelkind bullshit. Every time it's a race to see if I can reform the faith before whoever's doing well ends (hint: I can't), and if I can't, well, that's it, time for everything to go to poo poo!

Gavelkind isn't exactly gameover, but you can mitigate it further by either handing out less important titles to your sons before you die, or just killing off excess sons or otherwise removing from from succession. Does making them majors/bishops still work? Not sure if that was made hard to do or not.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 29, 2013

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Kainser posted:

Seems about right.

Goddrat. I thought those popups couldn't get more :black101: after :cthulhu: but, yeah, I think scholars will have their hands full with this one.

^^^ :argh:
Mystery solved, Shaggy.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
What's this disrespect dynasty modifier about?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

What's this disrespect dynasty modifier about?

You didn't have a picture/chronicle of your family made when the option was available. Shame on you.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Is there some trick to successions that I just don't know about? I always quit playing this game because there's always a huge succession crisis immediately after my ruler dies. I even reformed the faith and switched to elective this time. Why would my vassals uniamously elect my son to be the king and then almost uniamously rebel against him within a month of taking the throne? It looked like the main problem was the short reign modifier, but he was a count for about ten years before taking over.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
My character must have done that while he was a Duke and before his Mom the Queen died. How long does that last?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think this is what he's talking about, not as exciting as it sounds:

http://imgur.com/a/jbBfr

Well, we can be sure someone will take the plunge and make this into something more...significant. Like a real religion shift.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I've been trying to get a full conversion mod working with the new patch, and I've isolated the issue. 'adjacencies.csv' can't be changed at all. The only way for the game to load without crashing is to copy the vanilla file over, and have portages and straits randomly crisscrossing the Empire. It's pretty weird.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Bloodly posted:

Well, we can be sure someone will take the plunge and make this into something more...significant. Like a real religion shift.

Octopus Overlords with Water Spells gogogo

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Smirr posted:

Another possible bug I've found: when you reform the Slavic faith, it tells you that now your vassals will get upset if you keep their levies raised too long. I had gotten that penalty already while unreformed, however. I'm not sure if the tooltip is wrong or if the penalty shouldn't apply.

Non-your_religion dudes will get the raised levies penalty. I'm getting it from Catholic vassals as an unreformed Norse ruler.

Darkrenown posted:

Gavelkind isn't exactly gameover, but you can mitigate it further by either handing out less important titles to your sons before you die, or just killing off excess sons or otherwise removing from from succession. Does making them majors/bishops still work? Not sure if that was made hard to do or not.

Yes, that's what I've been doing.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I'm still a bit confused about de jure drifting. Let's say I form the kingdom of Sweden and then I grab duchies in Denmark. If I don't create/grab the king title of Denmark, those duchies will start drifting into Sweden, is that correct? Once all duchies have been absorbed into the kingdom of Sweden, king of Denmark becomes a titular title?
Are there any advantages to being an Emperor with a single massive kingdom instead of having some vassal kings?
Can I get a kingdom to drift into my empire? I can't seem to get it to work as Scandinavia.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Sheep posted:

Non-your_religion dudes will get the raised levies penalty. I'm getting it from Catholic vassals as an unreformed Norse ruler.

I was getting it from everyone, including Slavic vassals. Just double-checked, and it definitely got applied, too, so it's not just a display bug in case it's not supposed to be there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's correct, just keep in mind that you have to own ALL the duchies and counties within the kingdom. If even a single barony is held by someone else, de jure drift will stop.

Having vassal kings can potentially be dangerous, because it means all the dukes and counts within their kingdom follow their banner, and they can amass much more individual power. If you want to a stable realm, it's much better for your vassals to be as granular and disunited as possible.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

This DLC owns so hard. Can anybody recommend a Viking-appropriate Pandora station, maybe some metal?
:rock: :black101:

Nthing the Tyr/Amon Amarth suggestions. Basically mix those with Windir, Heidevolk, and Falkenbach and rock the gently caress out.

(or set up a Kiuas/Metsatöll/Korpiklaani/ spotify playlist and play as a Suomennusko like a real man :colbert: :finland:)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Mattybee posted:

On that note, how far out has anyone played? Obviously the vikings are going to :black101: over everyone at the beginning, but if you don't reform or convert fast you'll die out. I'm wondering how far out you can feasibly go.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Balts are just as bad about nationalism/racism as eastern Europeans, who woulda thought. :allears:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?690565-Baltic-Face-DLC

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

My Ivar the Boneless is TOO :black101: TO DIE.

87 years old. Still leads from the front. Conquers Scotland and 3/4ths of England and 4/5ths of Ireland and reforms the Norse Faith and moves his capital to London and keeps havin' kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Can't wait till we get a CK2+ gender equality update.

Time for a Freya battle-cult of viking women warriors. :black101:

• Locked thread