Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Faerunner posted:

Yeah, my pile as-is isn't stinky so much as it's just a terribly slow and somewhat dry pile, but I've tossed things in it before that take a looooong time to break down and I've gotten some nasty whiffs when turning it (I bury those again with non-smelly material). It's also not a hot compost, which means I am afraid to toss in a lot of weeds (they'll just take root and grow and I'll be spreading their seeds all over my garden again). I'm hoping that an enclosure helps to keep the pile compact, makes it look nicer and encourages a faster breakdown. I like the pallet idea and know where to get some but to fit in the space I have I'd need to downsize the frame. That's why I was considering a trash can. I could slice the bottom off one easily enough. I haven't seen anything good on the local freecycle lately (but you never know!).

Cpt. Wacky, the community farm is in Pittsburgh - it's called Ballfield Farm. It's just a group of enthusiastic people who, with guidance from a local nonprofit, are reclaiming an abandoned baseball field. The lot is still technically city-owned but we have permission to do a lot of stuff including planting trees and shrubs, building small structures and harvesting the food for local restaurants or food banks (or ourselves). I'm totally enamored of it as a place to experiment with things like weird squash varieties and pawpaw trees and pallet compost bins, which we had tons of last year before we bulldozed it all into a massive pile.

Daily turning is the best thing you can do to speed up your pile. Most people can't be bothered, but the drum systems make it much easier to do.

Very cool about the farm. I'm involved with a group building community gardens on city properties here. Our next one is going to be half of an underused park that used to be a tee-ball field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Faerunner posted:

Yeah, my pile as-is isn't stinky so much as it's just a terribly slow and somewhat dry pile, but I've tossed things in it before that take a looooong time to break down and I've gotten some nasty whiffs when turning it (I bury those again with non-smelly material). It's also not a hot compost, which means I am afraid to toss in a lot of weeds (they'll just take root and grow and I'll be spreading their seeds all over my garden again). I'm hoping that an enclosure helps to keep the pile compact, makes it look nicer and encourages a faster breakdown. I like the pallet idea and know where to get some but to fit in the space I have I'd need to downsize the frame. That's why I was considering a trash can. I could slice the bottom off one easily enough. I haven't seen anything good on the local freecycle lately (but you never know!).

Cpt. Wacky, the community farm is in Pittsburgh - it's called Ballfield Farm. It's just a group of enthusiastic people who, with guidance from a local nonprofit, are reclaiming an abandoned baseball field. The lot is still technically city-owned but we have permission to do a lot of stuff including planting trees and shrubs, building small structures and harvesting the food for local restaurants or food banks (or ourselves). I'm totally enamored of it as a place to experiment with things like weird squash varieties and pawpaw trees and pallet compost bins, which we had tons of last year before we bulldozed it all into a massive pile.

If you have some around, toss in a couple handfuls of coffee grounds. The nitrogen will help to heat it up. Do you have any brown leaves in your mix?

Here's a great resource about compost. http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=785

Also, say hi to the 'burgh for me. I miss it terribly.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I've been lazy about the coffee grounds; my fiance usually is the one making the coffee so he dumps the old ones in the trash but he read your post and now he's dumping them in the compost, yay! I have loads of leaves; they aren't shredded though (we have a dead lawn mower and no way to shred/mulch leaves and sticks) so they tend to mat together in the pile. Last year I just gave up and left the leaves on our hillside under the trees because if you can't shred them they're just not that useful in the compost. I try to layer brown/green stuff, keep the pile moist, etc - everything I thought I was supposed to do except turn it regularly. I guess turning it is more important than I thought! I've also heard that adding some cheap dog food mixed with water will kick-start a pile and heat it up. Is that true?

The 'burgh is a pretty cool city. I'm not a native but I like it here.

Wacky you'll have to show us pictures of the work as you go! I love seeing underused urban lots transformed into something beautiful and useful :)

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 23, 2013

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Faerunner posted:

I guess turning it is more important than I thought! I've also heard that adding some cheap dog food mixed with water will kick-start a pile and heat it up. Is that true?

Regular turning is one of the best ways to speed it up because it provides lots of oxygen for aerobic bacteria. I've never heard of adding dog food. It's probably just the extra nitrogen that kick starts things. It's pretty common to recommend adding a nitrogen fertilizer like blood meal to a new compost pile along with a scoop of finished compost or garden soil to inoculate the pile with the right bugs.

I wouldn't worry too much about the leaves if you can't find a way to shred them. Leaf piles that are left to sit for about 2 years will turn it leaf mould, one of the best forms of compost that is incredibly dark, rich and finely textured.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks, guys. I'm excited to make my compost better this year!

I also caved and bought some annuals today. Two hanging baskets (new guinea impatien and petunia). They were on sale for $4.88 each (check your local Home Depot!). I had promised myself that I wasn't going to do annuals because I have no space for them, but I guess I can spare a porch hook or two for hanging baskets. There's still space for the topsy-turvy tomato planter, anyway. :D

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Faerunner posted:

Thanks, guys. I'm excited to make my compost better this year!

I also caved and bought some annuals today. Two hanging baskets (new guinea impatien and petunia). They were on sale for $4.88 each (check your local Home Depot!). I had promised myself that I wasn't going to do annuals because I have no space for them, but I guess I can spare a porch hook or two for hanging baskets. There's still space for the topsy-turvy tomato planter, anyway. :D

On a different note, have you thought about getting a worm bin? There isn't a whole lot of nutrients for plants in kitchen waste, but worms LOVE kitchen waste. Worm castings and worm tea (liquid run-off from the worm bin) are amazingly nutritious.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
So angry.

So sad.

So disappointed in myself.

Took my trays of peat pot raised seedlings out for some sun.

Gave them too much sun.

Forgot about them.

Many of them shriveled up and died.

(sad)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Garden harvest salad.

First tomatoes of the season, snow peas, 3 kinds of squash I made into turmeric dill squash pickles, farmers cheese I made and some olive oil and red pepper flakes.

I love my garden! Too bad stink bugs are trying to destroy it.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I'm jealous! That salad looks really good. The only thing I've gotten out of my garden yet is chives, although the late-planted radishes are coming along and I have a bag of spinach and salad greens from the community farm at least. Can't wait for tomatoes!

NosmoKing, that sucks :( Do you have more seed? Replanting is annoying but at least it wouldn't be the end of the world!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Question for the bucket growers: If I planted some bell peppers and some garden salsa peppers in buckets that (according to the internet) are too small, what's the likely outcome here? Just small plants with lower yields, or am I wasting my time entirely?

The people at the nursery said the plants should be fine in just about anything, I've got them in 10qt buckets at the moment, about half full.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
They grow fine for a while then get lovely.
Later on, they will go limp in the sun due to the roots being too hot, they will seem like they are nutrient deficient when they are not, (yellowing and dropping leaves etc).
If you can re-pot later, no harm done. If you can't then they won't be happy and you'll have to toss them mid season when they start acting up and nothing will help besides a larger pot.

A qt is a litre? Most of mine were in 9 litre buckets. Only the really good/best ones get into 20L pots, which I then save for the next season, keeping them alive over winter.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 29, 2013

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Fo3 posted:

They grow fine for a while then get lovely.
Later on, they will go limp in the sun due to the roots being too hot, they will seem like they are nutrient deficient when they are not, (yellowing and dropping leaves etc).
If you can re-pot later, no harm done. If you can't then they won't be happy and you'll have to toss them mid season when they start acting up and nothing will help besides a larger pot.

A qt is a litre? Most of mine were in 9 litre buckets. Only the really good/best ones get into 20L pots, which I then save for the next season, keeping them alive over winter.

Yeah 1qt is roughly 1liter, but I'm a little confused. Have you kept peppers in buckets this small successfully, or are you saying you've done it before and it's a bad idea for the reasons you're listing up top?

I can move them to bigger buckets this weekend but it sucks I've got $40 of buckets down the tubes already

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I only use the 9L buckets due to cost as I normally plant 40 chilli plants and let survival of the fittest/nature sort them out.

I have kept some plants in the 9L buckets successfully, it depends on the variety though. Some grow bigger than others and therefore need more root space. nothing will grow up top unless it has the root system it wants/needs to support it.
Some have stayed in that sized pot for a year as they are small/bushy varities and are fine with that, other varieties can go sickly and need potting up.
I pot them up as needs be ie. symptoms appear. If they look sick but they have no pests, infections, disease and have been adequately fertilized, then I pull them up and check. If roots are brown I chuck them out, if roots OK but the plant seems root bound, then I re-pot into a larger pot and see how it goes.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 29, 2013

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Ok, I guess I'll maybe transplant half of them this weekend to bigger buckets, and leave the other half as is and see how it goes.

According to what I've read about the kind of bells I have they'll only get to about 2' or so anyway, not tall'uns.

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hi all, first time farmer here. My girlfriend and I recently stumbled across a community garden run by the City of Memphis and decided to give it a shot. Every year, they divvy out a few hundred plots (about 20’W x 100’L, 8 rows) in a massive local park for people like us to try our hands at planting. We have zero experience in the area but hey that’s why we have the Internet. We’ve been fully planted for a little over two weeks so far and have seen some good progress in our seedlings. In talking with our neighbors, it sounds like the city opened it up for planting pretty late this year. Hopefully that won’t be a big deal since the weather has been really nice.

Here’s the plot the night we planted:

We wanted to do a wide range of stuff to see what works best, so we planted:

- Jalapenos
- Purple Hull Peas
- Walla Walla Onions
- Goliath Tomatoes
- Cantaloupe
- Zucchini
- Mixed Peppers
- Red Bell Peppers
- Snow Peas
- Some kind of long green beans
- Purple Tomatillo
- Sweet Corn
- Green Onions
- Gem Squash

Here are some updated photos as of last night, as you can see we have a lot of weeding left to go:

Crops, unfortunately we lost the marker for the top right mystery plant:

I haven’t had much time to go back through this thread, but I will certainly be following it from now on. We’re pretty big newbies still. Between this thread and our neighbors around our plot, we should be able to pull something off.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
So have you finished planting completely?
I noticed you said mixed peppers, if you have any room get some baccatums. I like my jalapenos, yellow 7 pots, savinas, choc trinidad scorpions and bih jolokias as well as the next guy, but I always grow some baccatum varieties.
One of the most flavoursome varieties of chillies that are from South America.
Some of my favourites are Aji Lemon - very lemony taste, great for adding to creamy pastas or legume dishes where you want a bit of heat and the lemon flavour would fit in.
Aji pineapple, very similar chilli in all regards (edit as in how they look and grow compared to the aji lemon), but a slight pineapple taste, good for pork and ham which usually goes well with fruity flavours. Chuck them in a ham sandwich at worst.

If you have the room for more beans, look at the (Chinese) red noodle (yard) long bean.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 4, 2013

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think we have a 15' stretch open. If so, ill give them a shot!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Some current garden pics. I live in a rental that we got with prettymuch scorched earth landscaping so I got some minimalist drip irrigation stuff and a few bags of steer manure and worked it into rows and plots and various places around the yard. This is my second season at this house. I live in the Inland Empire by Los Angeles so a lot of my stuff has overwintered pretty easily including a few early girl tomato plants and my bhut jolokias.

Delikatesse and marketmore cukes in back. Gailan and Chinese yardlong beans in the next row. Butterbean edamame, white scallop squash, and zucchini. Sweet banana peppers, hot pepperoncini, Green and red zebra tomatoes.

The sweet bananas are already prolific.

Zukes taking off

Sweet 100s

Mici cucumbers have already provided 5 huge cukes this season, these are the 2nd flush.

1 of my 5 tree collards. Tree collards own.

strawberry patches have been pretty productive already. Picked a nice basketful yesterday but there are a few stragglers today.

Sunchokes in containers with some snowpea seedlings starting at the base.

Herb bed 1/3. There is chamomile, some japanese mugwort, marconi, shishito, and thai bird peppers as well as a self seeded somethingorrather tomato that I left because I'm curious :iiam:, also a self seeded chard.

more chard

overgrown mint patch in the back corner of the garden. Apple, chocolate, and kentucky colonel mints fighting for supremacy in this plot. You can see my shittily constructed diy compost tumbler in the back.

Herb bed 2/3. 3 different thymes, 4 sages, an oregano, 3 basils, borage, and the leggiest looking dill ever.

Herb bed 3/3. French, English, and German thymes, tricolor and someother sage. Greek and italian oregano. Lemongrass that needs cleaningup in the back. Lavender. Some self seeded beets and onions that are taking over the world.

Calamansi and meyer lemon trees with a bay leaf bush in there somewhere. Aforementioned overgrown lemongrass plant in back.

Not pictured: some artichokes, more tomatoes like black krims and the overwintered early girls and some san marzanos. Also more chiles. Bhut Jolokias, serranos, fresnos, habaneros, and jalaps. A few pear trees that I got on sale end of season last year in the 75% off bin that actually survived, no flowers yet though. Got some raspberries in that bin, too, and they have some set fruits. Also a melon patch with Canary melon, Cantaloupe, and Armenian cukes.

I'm going to have a lot of food this year.

unfortunately because we got it as barren land, there are a shitton of weed seeds in it and the introduction of regular watering means that I have to fight a lot of mallow, wild rocket, dandelion, bermudagrass, and purslane. The mallow, rocket, dandelions, and purslane are edible but not really my favorite things to eat. I hear mallow can be made into dolmas though :3:. I've been using the dandelions to feed our rabbits and the roots to make bitters. The wild rocket is too spicy to my tastes, but it's ok in moderation. The bermudagrass is the bane of my existence.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 4, 2013

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Trustfund. posted:

Crops, unfortunately we lost the marker for the top right mystery plant:

Top right looks like beans to me. Did the city give you 2000 square feet to work with? That is insane, especially for a beginner. It sounds more like an urban farm than a community garden. We work with plots that are about 100 square feet, for $35/year. How much are you paying for yours?

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Top right looks like beans to me. Did the city give you 2000 square feet to work with? That is insane, especially for a beginner. It sounds more like an urban farm than a community garden. We work with plots that are about 100 square feet, for $35/year. How much are you paying for yours?

It's free for the plot and one till + $40-50 for another till. A family friend has a tiller so we opted do it ourselves. The only condition is that you cannot sell your produce, but its kind of an honesty thing. The park it is located in, Shelby Farms, is massive. It's about five times the size of Central Park.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Since you can't sell your produce, are you just giving it away to friends and family? That is a lot of stuff for just one family. I'm amazed they just give you that to use for free.

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meltathon posted:

Since you can't sell your produce, are you just giving it away to friends and family? That is a lot of stuff for just one family. I'm amazed they just give you that to use for free.

Yes, we'll probably give a lot away. Providing we actually pull it off and yield a harvest, anyways. I'd like to look into doing some preserves to.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

Some current garden pics. I live in a rental that we got with prettymuch scorched earth landscaping so I got some minimalist drip irrigation stuff and a few bags of steer manure and worked it into rows and plots and various places around the yard. This is my second season at this house. I live in the Inland Empire by Los Angeles so a lot of my stuff has overwintered pretty easily including a few early girl tomato plants and my bhut jolokias.

Delikatesse and marketmore cukes in back. Gailan and Chinese yardlong beans in the next row. Butterbean edamame, white scallop squash, and zucchini. Sweet banana peppers, hot pepperoncini, Green and red zebra tomatoes.

The sweet bananas are already prolific.

Zukes taking off

Sweet 100s

Mici cucumbers have already provided 5 huge cukes this season, these are the 2nd flush.

1 of my 5 tree collards. Tree collards own.

strawberry patches have been pretty productive already. Picked a nice basketful yesterday but there are a few stragglers today.

Sunchokes in containers with some snowpea seedlings starting at the base.

Herb bed 1/3. There is chamomile, some japanese mugwort, marconi, shishito, and thai bird peppers as well as a self seeded somethingorrather tomato that I left because I'm curious :iiam:, also a self seeded chard.

more chard

overgrown mint patch in the back corner of the garden. Apple, chocolate, and kentucky colonel mints fighting for supremacy in this plot. You can see my shittily constructed diy compost tumbler in the back.

Herb bed 2/3. 3 different thymes, 4 sages, an oregano, 3 basils, borage, and the leggiest looking dill ever.

Herb bed 3/3. French, English, and German thymes, tricolor and someother sage. Greek and italian oregano. Lemongrass that needs cleaningup in the back. Lavender. Some self seeded beets and onions that are taking over the world.

Calamansi and meyer lemon trees with a bay leaf bush in there somewhere. Aforementioned overgrown lemongrass plant in back.

Not pictured: some artichokes, more tomatoes like black krims and the overwintered early girls and some san marzanos. Also more chiles. Bhut Jolokias, serranos, fresnos, habaneros, and jalaps. A few pear trees that I got on sale end of season last year in the 75% off bin that actually survived, no flowers yet though. Got some raspberries in that bin, too, and they have some set fruits. Also a melon patch with Canary melon, Cantaloupe, and Armenian cukes.

I'm going to have a lot of food this year.

unfortunately because we got it as barren land, there are a shitton of weed seeds in it and the introduction of regular watering means that I have to fight a lot of mallow, wild rocket, dandelion, bermudagrass, and purslane. The mallow, rocket, dandelions, and purslane are edible but not really my favorite things to eat. I hear mallow can be made into dolmas though :3:. I've been using the dandelions to feed our rabbits and the roots to make bitters. The wild rocket is too spicy to my tastes, but it's ok in moderation. The bermudagrass is the bane of my existence.

this is awesome. quoted the whole thing because it's great.

if I've learned anything in the last year, it's that composting is really important. if you haven't heard of it, check out the documentary 'the symphony of the soil'. It's on hpj, or just use your cunning to figure out how to watch it if you're in to food related documentaries.

if I had a huge scorched earth plot like you do, I'd definitely work on soil improvement if you're planning to stay there for more than a couple years. anyways your plants look great for the conditions you're working with, so whatever you're doing is good.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

this is awesome. quoted the whole thing because it's great.

if I've learned anything in the last year, it's that composting is really important. if you haven't heard of it, check out the documentary 'the symphony of the soil'. It's on hpj, or just use your cunning to figure out how to watch it if you're in to food related documentaries.

if I had a huge scorched earth plot like you do, I'd definitely work on soil improvement if you're planning to stay there for more than a couple years. anyways your plants look great for the conditions you're working with, so whatever you're doing is good.

thanks.

Yeah we compost. we also have rabbits who provide a good deal of manure for soil amending. Last year I did solely steer manure because we had just moved in and steer manure is like a buck a bag at home depot but this year I have a nice year's worth of compost and manure to work in.

I seem to have really lovely luck with brassicas in general (aside from my tree collards). They just get covered with aphids in the winter and demolished by bragada bugs (seriously, gently caress those things ugh) in the summer.

Thanks for the documentary rec. Looks interesting, will watch.

Harvested some of these yesterday:

White scallop squash.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

The mallow, rocket, dandelions, and purslane are edible

I totally did not realize mallow was edible. I went and looked it up because the last few years I've been pulling bindweed (speaking of banes of existence...) and a plant that I thought was a mallow was coming up in its place. Turns out, it is in fact common mallow and all this time I've been ripping it out (not very successfully) and throwing it on the compost. I just nibbled some and found it quite pleasant - tasted rather like green beans. I could see myself using it in salads. Thanks for turning me on to a new uncultivated edible! I may attempt to cultivate some in a back corner so I can tear the rest of it out of the grassy areas. I'm considering doing the same thing with some dandelions for greens and potential dandelion wine.

Your garden looks awesome by the way. For a spot that started as a wasteland, you've made it really abundant!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I am overrun :aaaaa:

Gave away this box to some friends last week

Early girls, sweet 100s, sweet banana peppers, a few serranos, white scallop squash

Just harvested this today:

More early girls (holy poo poo I'm always surprised at how prolific this variety is even though I grow it every year), delikatesse cukes, sweet banana peppers, marconi peppers.

and a pint of strawberries last night.

:aaaaa:

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Charcoal-roasted banana pepper relish. Just sayin'.

Years ago an ex and I made this chef's scrambled cheese eggs breakfast and part of it included pan-roasting cherry tomatoes until they were brown and caramelized and crispy on the bottom; to this day I still have yet to find a better way to eat those things. Especially when they're still on the vine, it's like they come with their own handles for easy snacking.

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did some tilling and weeding last night. Everything is looking pretty good so far! There are some tomatoes sprouting and the jalapeños are starting to bloom. My green beans are getting pretty big, I think ill have to build some some of contraption to hold them up soon.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I came home to my top heavy tomato plant and top heavy jalapeno plant having completely fallen over and snapped in two. :( it was The Saddest Thing.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

mindphlux posted:

I came home to my top heavy tomato plant and top heavy jalapeno plant having completely fallen over and snapped in two. :( it was The Saddest Thing.

I had the same problem last year with tomatoes that I trained by tying them up to bamboo poles. The bamboo was too slippery and once the plant got heavy it just slid down, bent and snapped near the bottom. I've seen commercial greenhouses that tie strings to the ceiling and then wrap the plant around the string as it grows. I'm going to have to figure out something soon since my plants are getting up to about 3 feet now and the tunnel they're in is only about 4 feet tall in the middle.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

mindphlux posted:

If you still have the top of your tomato plant, just plant it in some heavily watered soil. Keep it well watered for a few days and roots may sprout. I had the same thing happen to my tiny tomato plant, and I managed to save both halves. They ended up both being pretty productive too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

luloo123 posted:

If you still have the top of your tomato plant, just plant it in some heavily watered soil. Keep it well watered for a few days and roots may sprout. I had the same thing happen to my tiny tomato plant, and I managed to save both halves. They ended up both being pretty productive too.

Seconding this, I lost the top half of a cherry tomato plant in Okinawa due to high winds. I just shoved it in some fertilizer-and-water heavy earth and it grew like nuts.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Sup, today I dug a flowerbed and replanted a 6 herb box (they were yellowing, I had no choice!), a yellow cherry tomato plant and a shrub of some description.

I used some Aldi own brand fertiliser that surprised me by being white pellets. I moved the grass I dug up into other areas of my patchy south-facing garden in vibrant North London and just sort of stamped them in hoping that they would attach to the soil hentai tentacle style.

I didn't use anything other than the usual clayey soil I dug up and turned over but I'm looking forward to enlisting some eggshells and coffee grounds for some scrumptious compost

The new additions

Green fingers

Righteous sunburn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiJLAkt-WOo

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Breath Ray posted:

Sup, today I dug a flowerbed and replanted a 6 herb box (they were yellowing, I had no choice!), a yellow cherry tomato plant and a shrub of some description.

I used some Aldi own brand fertiliser that surprised me by being white pellets. I moved the grass I dug up into other areas of my patchy south-facing garden in vibrant North London and just sort of stamped them in hoping that they would attach to the soil hentai tentacle style.

I didn't use anything other than the usual clayey soil I dug up and turned over but I'm looking forward to enlisting some eggshells and coffee grounds for some scrumptious compost

I somehow ended up at the bottom of the page when I entered the thread, and as I scrolled up I saw your picture and thought that I was in the wrong thread. The sunburn looks ouchie.

Rather than composting your eggshells, you can just dump the crushed eggshells in the holes with your cherry tomatoes. Tomatoes love calcium and the shells will make your tomatoes extra yummy. It also prevents blossom-end rot, which is a definite bonus.

Be careful with the coffee grounds. Too much nitrogen in your compost will inhibit flower and fruit development. Make sure that you have a ton of brown materials (dry leaves) in your compost to offset the carbon.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
What do you mean by holes? Just pop some shells in beneath the surface?

I don't have any trees in the garden so right now it would just be kitchen waste. I will probably buy a small composting tub from B&Q and set it up at the end of the garden. Will that attract flies though? I do like eating outdoors.

Might buy some peppers. What are other prolific fast-harvesting fruit?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Seconding this, I lost the top half of a cherry tomato plant in Okinawa due to high winds. I just shoved it in some fertilizer-and-water heavy earth and it grew like nuts.

thanks for everyones suggestions. originally in a bout of wishful thinking, I propped up my plant, taped/splinted its wound, heavily watered it, and hoped for the best - but its leaves had been looking worse and worse. after seeing your suggestions, I ran outside and tried cutting off the dried up ends and replanting in soil, but no luck really. I think my plant is just dead, too bad. :/ will keep this in mind for the future if it ever happens again though....

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Breath Ray posted:

What do you mean by holes? Just pop some shells in beneath the surface?

I don't have any trees in the garden so right now it would just be kitchen waste. I will probably buy a small composting tub from B&Q and set it up at the end of the garden. Will that attract flies though? I do like eating outdoors.

Might buy some peppers. What are other prolific fast-harvesting fruit?

Before you put your tomatoes in, you just put the ground eggshells in the hole and then put the tomatoes on top. If the tomatoes are already in place, you can just kind of work them into the soil around the plants.

Kitchen waste isn't really good for compost. It doesn't have a lot of nutrients that plants can use (we eat the parts that have most of the nutrients), but if you get yourself a worm bin, you would be golden. The worms eat the waste, and then you get beautifully nutrient rich worm castings to use as compost. And if you do it right, you won't have any smell at all. Back home we used to have a standard kitchen scrap compost pile, and it never got hot enough to really produce good compost. In fact, we ended up with sprouted tomatoes growing from the pile because it didn't get hot enough to even kill the seeds (I ended up planting the sprouts elsewhere and they grew beautifully). I wish I had known about worm bins back then. In the summer the pile got pretty stinky and it was a huge attractor of flies. My mistake was not to mix in tons of dry leaves.

If you have space, zucchini and cucumbers are always lovely. We always had epically huge cucumber and zucchini plants growing up, but I'm housesitting for a friend right now, and they somehow managed to fit in a couple of each in their garden. They are producing amazingly well. Could you plant okra? I don't think their plants are that huge. And of course, you guys have some gorgeous runner beans, broad beans, and peas over in England. One of the things I miss most from living over there are the fantastic legumes. I have never had peas so delicious and sweet. Peas also grow quickly from seed and produce pretty quickly. Broad beans, if I'm remembering correctly, take quite a while to produce the full-sized fruit.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Thanks for a very thorough response! Peas is a good shout, petit pois would be good. Maybe some blackberries etc for autumn too. I don't know what okra is. Back in Russia we used to have delicious mini cucumbers which of course are delicious pickled. Wormfarms are a bit out of my price range right now http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wormcity-Wormery-Worms-INCLUDED-Litre/dp/B004E9IYBK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372618559&sr=8-2&keywords=worm+farms but it's quite a small garden so maybe I can live without one?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Breath Ray posted:

Thanks for a very thorough response! Peas is a good shout, petit pois would be good. Maybe some blackberries etc for autumn too. I don't know what okra is. Back in Russia we used to have delicious mini cucumbers which of course are delicious pickled. Wormfarms are a bit out of my price range right now http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wormcity-Wormery-Worms-INCLUDED-Litre/dp/B004E9IYBK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372618559&sr=8-2&keywords=worm+farms but it's quite a small garden so maybe I can live without one?

Blackberries are yummy, but they can take a good bit of space. Yeah, I wasn't sure if okra was really available over there. I couldn't remember ever seeing it in the grocery stores, but it's been a few years since I lived in London. The mini-cucumbers would be a really great addition.

You could make your own worm bin for wicked cheap: http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/easywormbin.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Does anybody have ideas for big heat-loving bushy plants that I could keep on a 2nd-floor balcony without too much trouble or cost? Even though it's late in the season to be getting around to dealing with it, I really need something to shield my herbs and houseplants and whatnot from the brutal Atlanta sun that bakes my east-facing balcony every morning. It's making my oregano bolt and even my mint isn't holding up very well, although I don't really have to worry so much about it since it'll come back from just about anything. Parsley doesn't seem to mind much, but it's also parsley so I don't really give a poo poo about it. Rosemary is, of course, perfectly fine with it. Cilantro got completely obliterated by aphids and ants before the heat could kill it. Basil is doing this weird thing where it's getting pale, splotchy, and sorta yellow, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong to it that doesn't involve the temperature.

I'd just use a screen door or something, but the condo association is crazy anal about what we're allowed to have visible on our balconies. Plus I'd kinda like to have something big out there.

• Locked thread