Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've only just realized that the Catholic religious icon for CK2 is exactly the same as the Catholic icon for EU3, just with a thick black border added to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vodos posted:

I'm still a bit confused about de jure drifting. Let's say I form the kingdom of Sweden and then I grab duchies in Denmark. If I don't create/grab the king title of Denmark, those duchies will start drifting into Sweden, is that correct? Once all duchies have been absorbed into the kingdom of Sweden, king of Denmark becomes a titular title?
Are there any advantages to being an Emperor with a single massive kingdom instead of having some vassal kings?
Can I get a kingdom to drift into my empire? I can't seem to get it to work as Scandinavia.

If you are emperor you can hold one (primary) kingdom without penalty. The de jure vassals of all your other kingdoms get -20 opinion for "desires kingdom of XXX". Your primary kingdom is the kingdom that contains your capital. So if you are emperor with a massive single kingdom you don't get these opinion penalties in your secondary kingdoms.

Being emperor with vassal kings can work, but it depends on your empire. In Hispania there is one kingdom with 2 de jure counties (Galicia), one kindom with 3 (Navarra), one with 4 (Castille), one with 5 (Leon), one with 10 (Portugal), one with 12 (Aragon) and one kingdom with 20 de jure counties (Andalusia). If you are Christian you cannot form Andalusia, so the you could hold Aragon, don't form Portugal and have the vassal kings in the smaller kingdoms, which are no bigger than the average duchies. You can treat these kings just as normal dukes.

In Scandinavia, where the kingdoms are about equally big, a vassal king can be a serious threat to you if he revolts, so you would be better of holding the kingdoms yourself or destroying the secondary kingdoms.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

I swear to god Paradox getting a Q&A team was the best thing ever to happen in the history of humanity, this DLC is the best :allears:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ok, so I make a deal to marry my heir to the Wendish Emperor's daughter, but then he imprisons her before she comes of age. And breakig the betrothal pisses him off, but apparently he's fine with holding her indefinitely.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Balts are just as bad about nationalism/racism as eastern Europeans, who woulda thought. :allears:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?690565-Baltic-Face-DLC

In another thread someone was posting about how the game was critically flawed because the Kingdom of Lithuania includes part of Latvia, even though the Latvians were assimilated but not the Estonians (or something. It was really incoherent). :v:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Turns out the reason why the Sunset Invasion happens is skraelings capturing some Viking dragonships while they were off exploring Vinland. :allears:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Balts are just as bad about nationalism/racism as eastern Europeans, who woulda thought. :allears:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?690565-Baltic-Face-DLC
I'm pretty sure that most nationalities/cultures are well represented when it comes to nationalism on the Paradox forums.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I captured the only daughter of an Irish count at age 1, left her in prison for 23 years and then sacrificed her to Odin. Now I feel bad. :(

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
So I'm trying to reform the Norse faith. Finally got three holy sites and plenty of piety, only to find that moral authority needs to be 50% minimum and it's currently at 30% and dropping fast. Is there any way to correct this or have I missed the boat?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
So I saw something about converting characters to bishops / majors. How does one do that, exactly?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dauntasa posted:

I captured the only daughter of an Irish count at age 1, left her in prison for 23 years and then sacrificed her to Odin. Now I feel bad. :(

I almost did the same thing, but then I had a better idea. I assigned myself as the prisoner girl's educator, converted her to the Norse faith, culture-flopped her to Norse, and then, when she hit 16, I took her as a concubine.

...I also feel bad. But hey, Stockholm Syndrome and enforced sexual servitude is still better than ritual sacrifice, right?

...right?

:ohdear:

ThomasPaine posted:

So I'm trying to reform the Norse faith. Finally got three holy sites and plenty of piety, only to find that moral authority needs to be 50% minimum and it's currently at 30% and dropping fast. Is there any way to correct this or have I missed the boat?

Conquer poo poo ASAP. Using the Norse special Subjugation CB gives moral authority to the Norse religion. So do successful Planned Invasions.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I almost did the same thing, but then I had a better idea. I assigned myself as the prisoner girl's educator, converted her to the Norse faith, culture-flopped her to Norse, and then, when she hit 16, I took her as a concubine.

...I also feel bad. But hey, Stockholm Syndrome and enforced sexual servitude is still better than ritual sacrifice, right?

...right?

I felt skeevy doing something similar (except I didn't convert her), but then she totally was the one who successfully plotted to kill me so I felt it was fitting.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I bought this game for a friend and she was able to play it for a few days but starting yesterday, the laptop does not load/play the game well. Portraits and other random boxes in the game are shrinked down and shoved into the top left corner of the display.

Game also is running significantly slower than it was last week.

Any ideas as to what changed or what I can do to fix it.

Win 7 64 bit, 8 gb of ram, some intel laptop duel core overclocked to 1.8gb or so. (The u7800 or whatever that series with only one chipset)

What I've done:
Verified the game cache
Used a previous version of the game from last week.
Disabled all DLCs
Reinstalled
Swept her computer for virus/maleware.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

...right?

It's a little amusing that this isn't even the most despicable thing it's possible for the player to do in CK2.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

The Mattybee posted:

So I saw something about converting characters to bishops / majors. How does one do that, exactly?

They must be unlanded. Just hand them a church/temple/city but keep in mind they, for some reason, get a -20 relations modifier.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

You could do it like me: curse a lot and briefly consider fighting (in your case) 20 subjugation wars before your guy drops (taking a cool 200 years if you don't have the "become king" ambition), then say "gently caress it" and edit your savegame so you have 50% authority. v:shobon:v But yeah, if you don't want to cheat you need to ramp up the conquering.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Welp!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Problem: I am the King of England. My son, Duke Robert, asks me to join his plot to usurp the title of another Duke. I agree. This pushes the power of the plot into the stratosphere and he immediately declares war.

This is a bit of an issue because I'm not dragged into this war so my heir is about to get crushed because he thought he had my troops and he didn't. Am I missing some way to intervene on his behalf or as a liege should I stay the gently caress away from my vassel's plots?

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Has anyone tried any of the other pagan religions? Do they all play differently or are they all pretty similar to Norse? What about Tengri and West Africa?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Gavelkind isn't as bad as it was before, just keep conquering Duchies and give them to your extra sons and you will be fine.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Gavelkind is never a problem, just murder and/or imprison your crappy sons before you die.

Hell you even have a blot to do it Odin style.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
How exactly does one declare a Great Holy War as a Norseman? I'm the Fylkir of the reformed religion and it's currently sitting at 97.5 moral authority.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Also, I was wondering whether there was a limit with regards how powerful stats can make you. If I was to make a monster 60 martial guy in the ruler generator, would he be more or less unstoppable, or is it a case of diminishing returns? For example is it a case of everything over 30 or so doesn't make a great deal of difference, or could you make a guy with every point in martial who could just take on an army of 5000 with 500 men and win?

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

ThomasPaine posted:

Also, I was wondering whether there was a limit with regards how powerful stats can make you. If I was to make a monster 60 martial guy in the ruler generator, would he be more or less unstoppable, or is it a case of diminishing returns? For example is it a case of everything over 30 or so doesn't make a great deal of difference, or could you make a guy with every point in martial who could just take on an army of 5000 with 500 men and win?

That would be nice but unfortunately the martial stat has extremely limited influence on anything at all. You can have a 99 martial general and still lose even battles. It basically does nothing.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
so I grabbed Crusader King 2 + the expansions, excluding the latest one until I try the game out more, outside of checking out
this link

Any other sites I should check out for tips before playing?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

I did this with my brother.

not 3 days later my ruler dies from natural causes.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

My second game of Fairhair is going much better than my first. Two things I did differently:

- Be more aggressive.
- More ritual sacrifices of missionaries and evil plotting uncles (and mercenary company leaders)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cityinthesea posted:

I did this with my brother.

not 3 days later my ruler dies from natural causes.

The king of Lochlainn, i.e. Gothfraid, died of a sudden hideous disease. Thus it pleased God.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh man, this Venice start looks absolutely brutal. Is there a way to get a claim + revokation on the two other cities in the starting province for an early boost, or will I have to count on the Byzantines/Aghbadids/Italians getting caught up in civil wars and sniping open provinces?

EDIT: Oh, Venice is de jure part of Byzantium at the Old Gods start date. Might be able to snipe Sicily this way.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 29, 2013

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Related: Is ever more than positive genetic trait expressed? I tried putting all three on my ruler in the generator but all children seem to get one at most. There go my maximum eugenic plans.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I've seen NPCs with both attractive and quick. I don't know if they were children though, or if they spawned at the beginning of the game.

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

East Francia picked up and moved a little further east (yes, all of it is in the picture).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

genericnick posted:

Related: Is ever more than positive genetic trait expressed? I tried putting all three on my ruler in the generator but all children seem to get one at most. There go my maximum eugenic plans.

Yeah they can it's just that the odds of a trait being passed on if only one parent has the trait is really small. Even if both parents have the trait it's still not great.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah they can it's just that the odds of a trait being passed on if only one parent has the trait is really small. Even if both parents have the trait it's still not great.

I managed to create an entire lineage of pure geniuses via an extremely aggressive eugenics program. Assassinate any young kids without the genius trait, marry only geniuses into the family, and prune that family tree via imprisonment & execution if things are particularly dire.

This took a very very long time to do (and I save scummed a couple of times too).

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Enrico Dandolo posted:

East Francia picked up and moved a little further east (yes, all of it is in the picture).

Well, at least Vlad will have yet another western migrant group to impale later on.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Shadeoses posted:

I've been trying to get a full conversion mod working with the new patch, and I've isolated the issue. 'adjacencies.csv' can't be changed at all. The only way for the game to load without crashing is to copy the vanilla file over, and have portages and straits randomly crisscrossing the Empire. It's pretty weird.

I can't remember the details of what they did but the Luc Invicta and Elder Kings people on the official forums have this problem figured out I believe.

Anyway I just got home from raiding Rome and Venice. My boys sailed into port carrying 1247 gold. I can only imagine the epic, world-shattering party that is now going on in Jorvik.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

I've been trying to get a full conversion mod working with the new patch, and I've isolated the issue. 'adjacencies.csv' can't be changed at all. The only way for the game to load without crashing is to copy the vanilla file over, and have portages and straits randomly crisscrossing the Empire. It's pretty weird.

Yeah, adjacencies.csv has been broken for a while in eu3. You should be able to get it work by using 'replace = map' and copying the entire vanilla map tree including cache over, and then overwriting just the bits you've changed. I was hoping that if I bitched about it enough in the eu3 bug forum it would get fixed, but it sounds like it is an issue with the engine as a whole instead of just an eu3 bug. For any Paradox guys, it was introduced with EU3:DW, and was not a bug in EU3:HTTT.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I started a game as a redheaded lad named after myself. I was doing well and he grew into a true viking raider, then he got himself bonked on the head during a raid and a number of regent's divided his lands between them and he died a childless cripple. Thus ends his story, now to start over again and double up on the raiding, I actually understand the mechanic now.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, how do you see what you need to form an Empire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Option A - search for the title using Find Title button (lower right side of screen)

Option B - Pull up a county title window in the empire, check the de jure toggle, and click on the emblem for the empire that should appear.

Then hover your cursor over the Create button - it'll say what conditions need to be met and what else you need to do.

• Locked thread